Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 14 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Sweet Vibration

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 1,378  ·  Replies: 29 
> Fort Hood Shooting, Here we go Again..
brian mayhem
  Posted: Nov 5 2009, 04:34 PM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 13,958

Eleven people plus a gunman were dead and 31 wounded after a shooting Thursday at a soldier-processing center at Fort Hood, Texas, officials said.

The gunman who was killed was a soldier, Army Lt. Gen. Bob Cone said. Two other soldiers who were detained have been released, but another person of interest is in custody, said Christopher Haug, chief of public affairs at Fort Hood.

The slain gunman was identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, 39, a law enforcement source told CNN. Licensed in Virginia, Hasan was a psychiatrist who previously worked at Walter Reed Army Medical Center but more recently was practicing at Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood, according to professional records.

Hasan was scheduled to be deployed to Iraq, "and appeared to be upset about that," Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said.

You know, it really is getting to me personally seeing all of these events occur in the country.

We need to help these people.

This post has been edited by brian mayhem on Nov 5 2009, 04:34 PM
M3D1C
Posted: Nov 5 2009, 04:47 PM

Minister Of Health

Member No.: 2,578

Yeah, we had to have 100% accountability of every one today because of this, also of the weapons since we had 3 different ranges and hundreds of weapons out.

We are having something tomorrow to do with it also, probably a remembrance thing, I am not sure, but wow, a major doing this? Come on now, making us all look bad.
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Nov 5 2009, 05:11 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

Wow, I was going to say something along the lines of, 'damn, they'll let any ******* join the military', but i see that the dude was a psychiatrist...

Psychiatrist going on a shooting spree? Maybe HE needed a psychiatrist.

Ah well, I feel sorry for all the victims.
RalliKai
Posted: Nov 5 2009, 06:31 PM

Labor pilot

Member No.: 3,607

An officer and a Major at that resorting to such an act, geez. sad.gif Not sure what else to say other then to express my most deepest sympathy to the victims families and to those injured.
Mr. Shine
Posted: Nov 5 2009, 06:43 PM

Troll King

Member No.: 3,757

Read about this in the news today, and it's an absolute tragedy. The sad thing is, it's exactly the sort of result of the kinds of stresses soldiers face when fighting two wars.

The other sad thing is that I don't think it's the soldiers' faults they're subjected to it. The government needs to be held accountable sad.gif
M3D1C
Posted: Nov 5 2009, 07:06 PM

Minister Of Health

Member No.: 2,578

QUOTE (Mr. Shine @ 23 minutes, 34 seconds ago)
Read about this in the news today, and it's an absolute tragedy. The sad thing is, it's exactly the sort of result of the kinds of stresses soldiers face when fighting two wars.

The other sad thing is that I don't think it's the soldiers' faults they're subjected to it. The government needs to be held accountable sad.gif

Eh.. you don't see me trying to kill anybody, iraq 12 months is done, afghanistan 12 more is on the way in may... i don't feel like killing anyone. It's personal, MIGHT be influenced by army "stress" but.. its a personal issue.

EDIT*********

He was not killed, as reported earlier, just injured.

FORT HOOD, Texas – An Army psychiatrist set to be shipped overseas opened fire at the Fort Hood Army post Thursday, authorites said, a rampage that killed 12 people and left 31 wounded in the worst mass shooting ever at a military base in the United States.

The gunman, first said to have been killed, was wounded but alive and in stable condition under military guard, said Lt. Gen. Bob Cone at Fort Hood. "I would say his death is not imminent," Cone said. Col. Ben Danner said the suspect was shot at least four times.

The man was identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, a 39-year-old, eight-year veteran from Virginia.

President Barack Obama called the shooting at the Soldier Readiness Center, where soldiers who are about to be deployed or who are returning undergo medical screening, "a horrific outburst of violence."

"It's difficult enough when we lose these brave Americans in battles overseas," the commander in chief said. "It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil."

There was no official word on motive. Hasan had transferred to Fort Hood in July from Walter Reed Medical Center, where he received a poor performance evaluation, according to an official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said generals at Fort Hood told her that Hasan was about to deploy overseas. Retired Col. Terry Lee, who said he had worked with Hasan, told Fox News he was being sent to Afghanistan.

Lee said Hasan had hoped Obama would pull troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq and got into frequent arguments with others in the military who supported the wars.

Officials were investigating whether Hasan was his birth name or if he may have changed his name, possibly as part of a conversion to Islam. However, they were not certain of his religion.

Video from the scene showed police patrolling the area with handguns and rifles, ducking behind buildings for cover. Sirens could be heard wailing while a woman's voice on a public-address system urged people to take cover.

"I was confused and just shocked," said Spc. Jerry Richard, 27, who works at the center but was not on duty during the shooting. "Overseas you are ready for it. But here you can't even defend yourself."

Soldiers at Fort Hood don't carry weapons unless they are doing training exercises.

The Rev. Greg Schannep was about to head into a graduation ceremony when a man in uniform approached him, warning him that someone had opened fire. Schannep heard three volleys of gunfire and saw people running.

"There was a burst of shots and more bursts of shots and people running everywhere," said Schannep, who works for local Congressman John Carter.

The uniformed man who had warned him ran to the theater. Schannep said he could see the man's back was bloodied from a wound. The man survived, was treated and will be fine, Schanepp said.

Cone said initially three people were held, and all have been interviewed. Authorities believe, however, that there was a single shooter.

The Soldier Readiness Center holds hundreds of people and is one of the most populated parts of the base, said Steve Moore, a spokesman for III Corps at Fort Hood. Nearby there are barracks and a food center where there are fast food chains.

The wounded were dispersed among hospitals in central Texas, Cone said. Their identities, and the identities of the dead, were not immediately released.

Amber Bahr, 19, was shot in the stomach but was in stable condition, said her mother, Lisa Pfund of Random Lake, Wis.

"We know nothing, just that she was shot in the belly," Pfund told The Associated Press. She couldn't provide more details and only spoke with emergency personnel.

Hasan was single with no children. He graduated from Virginia Tech, where he was a member of the ROTC and earned a bachelor's degree in biochemistry in 1997. He received his medical degree from the military's Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., in 2001 and was at Walter Reed for six years for his internship, residency and a fellowship.

The attack happened just down the road from one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history. On Oct. 16, 1991, George Hennard smashed his pickup truck through a Luby's Cafeteria window in Killeen, Texas, and fired on the lunchtime crowd with a high-powered pistol, killing 22 people and wounding at least 20 others.

No other shooting at a military base in the U.S. has been anywhere near as deadly as Thursday's. In 1993, a gunman at Fort Knox shot five civilian co-workers, killing three, and then fatally shot himself.

Around the country, some bases stepped up security precautions, but no others were locked down.

Covering 339 square miles, Fort Hood is the largest active duty armored post in the United States. Home to about 52,000 troops as of earlier this year, it is located halfway between Austin and Waco.

___

Barrett reported from Washington, D.C. Associated Press Writers Pam Hess, Anne Gearan, Lara Jakes, Suzanne Gamboa and Lolita C. Baldor in Washington, D.C., Jay Root in Temple, Linda Stewart Ball, Anabelle Garay and Andre Coe in Dallas and Colin Fly in Milwaukee and the Associated Press News Research Center contributed to this report.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_fort_hood_shooting

This post has been edited by M3D1C on Nov 5 2009, 07:12 PM
kyonpalm
Posted: Nov 5 2009, 08:11 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

Well this is sad. Too many casualties in this world... sleep.gif
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Tessou
Posted: Nov 5 2009, 08:14 PM

NO BLACK ★ NO LIFE
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

Pffffff, medical officers and regular officers are in completely different ballparks. A medic can make Major in a matter of years instead of the decade it could take for a regular officer. Either way, he's definitely out of the service now. tongue.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Nappy Hared Azn
Posted: Nov 5 2009, 09:48 PM

Darling, won't you ease my worried mind?

Member No.: 1,828

Yeah, this guy really wasn't ready for the stresses or hardships of military life. Typical case of someone enlisting for college money and then having a mental breakdown when they realize that military life is actually hard and life isn't full of nice people.

Some people can handle it and do well. Some people can't handle it and do poorly. And then we have outliers like this guy.
Sanae
Posted: Nov 6 2009, 01:25 AM

IDW Okamisan

Member No.: 19,388

Tessō: I'm happy to see you're okay. I thought of you when I watched the news this morning but then I remembered you're not stationed in Texas, are you?

At any rate, I'm glad to get confirmation from M3D1C that he is the norm and not this unbalanced person. The question is, how is it possible that the Army fails to notice that something is wrong with someone like Maj. Hasan? I know he was a psychiatrist but, precisely because of that, shouldn't the Army keep his mental health closely monitored even more?
Saint
Posted: Nov 6 2009, 01:39 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Member No.: 2,067

*Looks at his name* Hmmmmm...

Anyway, being 33, single, had to go through shits in medical school and then internship, residency and fellowship for another few years are already bad enough for life. Then he was told to be deployed in Iraq. I'd shoot too. pinch2.gif

I read somewhere before that psychiatrists are most prone to mental illness compared to their colleagues in other branches of medicine.
brian mayhem
  Posted: Nov 6 2009, 06:23 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 13,958

QUOTE (Sanae @ Today, 4:25 AM)
Tessō: I'm happy to see you're okay. I thought of you when I watched the news this morning but then I remembered you're not stationed in Texas, are you?

At any rate, I'm glad to get confirmation from M3D1C that he is the norm and not this unbalanced person. The question is, how is it possible that the Army fails to notice that something is wrong with someone like Maj. Hasan? I know he was a psychiatrist but, precisely because of that, shouldn't the Army keep his mental health closely monitored even more?

From what I heard on CNN, he didn't want to go to the Middle East and fight his fellow muslim folk.

I suppose that what could have set the fuse.
Tessou
Posted: Nov 7 2009, 06:36 AM

NO BLACK ★ NO LIFE
Group Icon

Well, that's just tough shit. You'd think JOINING THE MILITARY would give you the idea that you just might have a goddamn good chance at going to the desert for a little while. Hell, I could go there in the next few years, who knows. I accepted that fact when I signed my enlistment papers in Des Moines, Iowa in 2005. This guy knew what he could logically have been facing when he was given his uniform.

To top it off, he wasn't even a combatant. He was going there to help people. Is it really that f**king hard, guy? Way to desecrate the face of our fellow men and women fighting to keep your ass safe in the States.
Möbius
Posted: Nov 7 2009, 09:36 AM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (Tessō @ 1 hour, 43 minutes ago)
Well, that's just tough shit. You'd think JOINING THE MILITARY would give you the idea that you just might have a goddamn good chance at going to the desert for a little while. Hell, I could go there in the next few years, who knows. I accepted that fact when I signed my enlistment papers in Des Moines, Iowa in 2005. This guy knew what he could logically have been facing when he was given his uniform.

I agree 100% on this point. It's like those guys who enlisted in the US Army for a free education, then tried to skip to Canada when they found out they were going to be sent to Iraq.

"I didn't know I could be sent to combat!?"

One would think that that's what the purpose of an army would be... rolleyes.gif

To top it off, he wasn't even a combatant. He was going there to help people. Is it really that f**king hard, guy? Way to desecrate the face of our fellow men and women fighting to keep your ass safe in the States.

I think the word you are looking for is "dishonor", not "desecrate". "Disgrace" would work too, but not to the same effect as "dishonor".

And that statement, coming from you, is more than just a bit ironic.

You've done quite a bit of that yourself, albeit on a much, much lesser scale than this guy has.

QUOTE (brian mayhem)
From what I heard on CNN, he didn't want to go to the Middle East and fight his fellow muslim folk.

I suppose that what could have set the fuse.

That act of dishonor as it is dealt with by the media. The guy is made to appear to be a lone radical who was caught trying to take advantage of the system. I would say that, whether that is true or not, will work for the vast majority of people.

Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
SgtXDNX
Posted: Nov 7 2009, 06:58 PM

Goddamn Electric

Member No.: 23,073

Actually, I believe 'desecrate' is perfectly applicable in this case. If a country's defenders aren't considered a sacred body by its people, then what is?
vhsfootball_82
Posted: Nov 8 2009, 12:31 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 4,420

yeah i agree what some of you guys have said.....i mean people that join the army do sign a contract and therefore pretty much become US property.

i have 2 coworkers leaving soon and they know whats going..well one of them is still like...."nah i wont go over there"....like really dude are you kidding me? lol

anyways that dude major really went crazy, didnt expect that at all.
Tessou
Posted: Nov 8 2009, 04:17 AM

NO BLACK ★ NO LIFE
Group Icon

QUOTE (Apex Carver @ Yesterday, 1:36 PM)
I think the word you are looking for is "dishonor", not "desecrate". "Disgrace" would work too, but not to the same effect as "dishonor".

And that statement, coming from you, is more than just a bit ironic.

You've done quite a bit of that yourself, albeit on a much, much lesser scale than this guy has

Sure, I'm quite sure the higher ups would be at all interested in adding my "record" from an unaffiliated online forum to my military records. They have plenty in common, I'm sure. Please don't get into more of this disrespect business, especially if it's coming from your end this time. Comparing a minor nuisance on a forum such as myself to somebody that lost control and killed his fellow soldiers in real life is just dumbfounding.

See, I tend to keep my hobbies and actual business separate, which means the Air Force doesn't care what I do so long as it's legal. In my curiosity I actually did ask my supervisor about this point and, in his own words, "who gives a shit?".
Möbius
Posted: Nov 8 2009, 10:37 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Tessō @ 6 hours, 19 minutes ago)
Sure, I'm quite sure the higher ups would be at all interested in adding my "record" from an unaffiliated online forum to my military records. They have plenty in common, I'm sure.

What a disrespectful tone. I never said anything as far as official records are concerned, mind you, you implied that yourself. See the end of the post for the full explanation.

Please don't get into more of this disrespect business, especially if it's coming from your end this time.

Nope, it always starts with you. You always start shouting how people are disrespecting you, yet you don't really respect anyone else.

Comparing a minor nuisance on a forum such as myself to somebody that lost control and killed his fellow soldiers in real life is just dumbfounding.

You quoted the part where I made sure I did not. There was no comparison made at all, I think you just read that into it yourself? But at the same time you admitted that you are a nuisance, so I guess that's a start. wink2.gif

See, I tend to keep my hobbies and actual business separate, which means the Air Force doesn't care what I do so long as it's legal. In my curiosity I actually did ask my supervisor about this point and, in his own words, "who gives a shit?".

Way to miss the point, as usual.

------------------------------------------------

My point was what the general public's perception would be of the Air Force when they look at you and your actions?

If people generalize ( and people do tend to generalize ), then I hardly think it would be very positive.

"This guy is an officer in the USAF? I wouldn't have thought they would have such immature people in responsible positions..."

Now, you could take that as constructive criticism and use it to improve yourself in the future. Or you could continue to argue for the sake of arguing, or rather, for the sake of not "losing face" ( as you have done in the past ). One thing to remember, continuing to argue when you're blatantly wrong doesn't save face, it does the opposite. But then again, neither does waiting for it to blow over. wink2.gif

Think about that for a while...

( Before posting a reply, please >_< )
Tessou
Posted: Nov 8 2009, 03:39 PM

NO BLACK ★ NO LIFE
Group Icon

I don't really think anybody looks to me and thinks "Air Force" anyway. I don't talk about it much for a reason. There are many other military folks on here that are more open about it than I am. I can't say much about it in the first place because my job details are classified until, what, 2028?

Now, finally, back on topic, most bases in the US have enacted higher security measures so getting to work is a bit more of a chore than I'm used to. I had my car searched more times last week than I'd care to mention. Then I get tagged for a pat down once I get into the actual building, and only then I can finally think about working. They searched my issue of OXM for some reason before I left for the week on Friday. Kind of hard to hide a gun in 1/4" of paper, but they have to cover all bases, I guess.
Möbius
Posted: Nov 8 2009, 03:52 PM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Tessō @ 13 minutes, 10 seconds ago)
I don't really think anybody looks to me and thinks "Air Force" anyway. I don't talk about it much for a reason.

That's what you think. I know otherwise...

And you do talk about it a lot, about your job, your 'secret assignments', your promotions, heck you had it on the wiki. You post about it more than any of other members here who are in the Armed Forces.

But I digress, it's not whether you post about it or not, that wasn't the point I was trying to make at all. There is no problem with just posting about it, but I really don't want to repeat myself here. It is up to you to decide how you want to take this, as something that you can improve on in the future, or complete denial... sad.gif

Tessou
Posted: Nov 8 2009, 06:39 PM

NO BLACK ★ NO LIFE
Group Icon

You'll notice I made a decision to delete most of that a while ago. What I say and what is truth about myself is also not one and the same sometimes. OPSEC is OPSEC, after all.
MidnightViper88
Posted: Nov 9 2009, 08:32 AM

Ballistic heartbreak

Member No.: 1,034

I still think it's something that a high-ranking officer such as a Major would be capable of doing anything like this, but after the weekend's reports that Hasan had shouted "Allahu Akbar" during the shootings, it would make sense that profession is independent of extremism...It wouldn't be a far cry to label the Fort Hood shooting as a terroristic incident, since no normal moderate Muslim would make the religious cry during an act of violence like an Islamic extremist would...ABC just did a news report that US intel officials were aware that Hasan had previously tried to make contact with al Qaeda terrorists...

Really now? Now I'm not the drive-by media type that's going to blame someone for allowing the shooting to happen, but I'm sure at the very least that this would've raised red flags since terrorism is kind of a big deal in this day and age...
Tessou
Posted: Nov 9 2009, 10:27 AM

NO BLACK ★ NO LIFE
Group Icon

I'd like to know ABC's source on that.
Nappy Hared Azn
Posted: Nov 9 2009, 11:49 AM

Darling, won't you ease my worried mind?

Member No.: 1,828

It's a major news outlet. When you've got that many viewers, you don't need no stinkin' sources.
Tessou
Posted: Nov 9 2009, 11:52 AM

NO BLACK ★ NO LIFE
Group Icon

Given that there is a nationwide order to the intelligence units not to disseminate any sensitive information regarding this incident to the press, I have my doubts as to the credibility of this source. We have not officially said anything of the matter yet.

2 Pages  1 2