Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing Max Coveri - Golden Age

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

40 Pages  « 26 27 28 29 30 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 70,967  ·  Replies: 988 
> Scion FR-S, Toyota GT-86, Subaru BRZ Thread, Toyota and Fuji Heavy Ind. News
Jardim
Posted: Dec 5 2011, 04:55 PM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 15,519

QUOTE (Yoshida Seiji @ Today, 1:43 AM)
I lovelovelovelovelove huge spoilers.

Who are you KT Takashi of the Akagi Red suns?
Fast
Posted: Dec 5 2011, 05:01 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,986

That wing doesn't look bad but I'd probably go wingless.
Jardim
Posted: Dec 5 2011, 05:10 PM

^ Maybe it would be decent on the STi version of the car namsayn?
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Dec 8 2011, 02:17 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

I just read that the 2013 WRX is going to be powered by a turbocharged variant of the 2.0-liter in the BRZ/FR-S putting out approximately 270 hp... so the engine will clearly exist. Hopefully it will make its way into the BRZ/FR-S. There's no reason it wouldn't work. It might cause some competition within the company, but luckily the two cars are different enough that they won't cannibalize each other's sales.

Next-Gen Subaru WRX to Get Turbo 2.0-Liter Targeting 270 hp

A spokesperson at Subaru of America just confirmed that the next generation Subaru WRX will receive a turbocharged 2.0-liter flat-four engine with a targeted output of 270 horsepower. This engine will be a turbocharged variant of the FA20 engine found in the recently-released 2013 Subaru BRZ we just drove in Japan.  Although half a liter smaller in displacement than the current WRX’s 2.5-liter 265-horsepower engine, it looks as though the all new FA20 will make slightly more power. The FA20 turbo is a return to the car’s roots, of sorts; when the WRX made its American debut in 2001, it had a 2.0-liter turbo flat-four under the hood.

Why the downsizing? We can only assume fuel economy has something to do with it. The current WRX manages 19 mpg city and 25 mpg highway on the EPA cycle.  Subaru recently announced the naturally aspirated FA20 should achieve 30 mpg highway.

The announcement of this new engine is also in line with statements the company made at the launch of the 2012 Impreza sedan and 5-door, the vehicle upon which the WRX should be based. At that time, Subaru said that it was planning for greater separation between Impreza and WRX models. Currently the Impreza uses a 2.0-liter flat four from the FB family of engines found in the Forester SUV and other models.  This engine does not feature the same compact dimensions, 86 mm x 86 mm bore and stroke, or complex D4S port/direct injection technology as the FA20 engine.

No word on when we can expect the next generation WRX, but past product cycle timing indicates sometime in 2012, as a 2013 model.
am3pkcet
Posted: Dec 8 2011, 07:03 PM

IDASv3 > IDAS4

Member No.: 2,853

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ 4 hours, 45 minutes ago)
I just read that the 2013 WRX is going to be powered by a turbocharged variant of the 2.0-liter in the BRZ/FR-S putting out approximately 270 hp... so the engine will clearly exist. Hopefully it will make its way into the BRZ/FR-S. There's no reason it wouldn't work. It might cause some competition within the company, but luckily the two cars are different enough that they won't cannibalize each other's sales.

http://wot.motortrend.com/breaking-news-ne...-hp-143875.html

Unless you absolutely have to have four doors, that would all but eliminate any desire to get a WRX over comperably spec'd BRZ. I don't think you'll ever see that trim in a pretty car for the same reason Mitsubishi killed off the turbo AWD Eclipse.

Unless the do an about-face and embrace the new design and ditch the WRX. But knowing stubborn Japanese designers/developers/anything, that will never happen.
Fast
Posted: Dec 8 2011, 09:56 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,986

That's great news. 260 hp in a BRZ would be just right, the engineers did say the chassis can take 50-60 more hp without any modification.

The WRX will also remain the choice for anyone who gets a lot of snow in the winter. There probably will never be an AWD BRZ as it's not feasible with the engine placement.

DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Dec 9 2011, 10:41 AM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (am3pkcet @ Yesterday, 8:03 PM)
Unless you absolutely have to have four doors, that would all but eliminate any desire to get a WRX over comperably spec'd BRZ. I don't think you'll ever see that trim in a pretty car for the same reason Mitsubishi killed off the turbo AWD Eclipse.

Well, I think *most* people who buy WRXs do actually need four doors... or at least wouldn't find only having two doors useful. I don't think there's THAT much overlap between the WRX and BRZ/FR-S crowd (unless they are planning on owning both simultaneously).

Mitsubishi didn't kill off the Eclipse GSX because of the Evo arriving stateside (as the second-gen Eclipse and its AWD turbo variant stopped being produced in 1999 while the Evo VIII didn't get here until spring 2003), though I'll admit there may have been some overlap had the GSX still existed. It was "killed off" since Mitsubishi wanted to take the Eclipse in another direction that they thought the consumer would like, though of course they ended up being wrong. The concept car design was right, but the production car sucked, and to cut costs (as opposed to preventing it from cannibalizing the Evo's sales), they put far less sporty engines from other Mitsubishis.

QUOTE (Fast)
That's great news. 260 hp in a BRZ would be just right, the engineers did say the chassis can take 50-60 more hp without any modification.

The WRX will also remain the choice for anyone who gets a lot of snow in the winter. There probably will never be an AWD BRZ as it's not feasible with the engine placement.

A more powerful BRZ/FR-S would be nice (and expected, as even Mazda made a more powerful version of the Miata before), though I think AWD not being in the BRZ wasn't even considered since an AWD system would add too much weight.
Jardim
Posted: Dec 10 2011, 02:21 PM

I dont see how a 2 door RWD will affect the sales of a 4 door AWD even with the same motor producing the same power. It will be more of a option, if your single in a snow free enviroment, you can get the BRZ, and if you got a kid and live in Iowa, the WRX would be your choice. Two diffrent cars with the same sportiness suited for 2 different crowds.
am3pkcet
Posted: Dec 10 2011, 03:33 PM

IDASv3 > IDAS4

I keep forgetting that not everyone lives somewhere in which "winter" means 50º and a light wind and the sun shining.

/San Diego <3
MetalMan777
Posted: Dec 10 2011, 04:56 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

I keep forgetting there are people that think you need AWD to drive through snow. What you need is snow tires. RWD is more fun in the snow anyway.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Dec 10 2011, 06:12 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (Cactus @ 1 hour, 15 minutes ago)
I keep forgetting there are people that think you need AWD to drive through snow. What you need is snow tires. RWD is more fun in the snow anyway.

And on that note, it's still okay to have AWD even if you never see an inch of snow smile.gif
MetalMan777
Posted: Dec 10 2011, 08:37 PM

Snooping as usual

Oh yeah, I don't want to imply that it isn't. I just laugh at people who have no idea how to handle snow.
am3pkcet
Posted: Dec 10 2011, 08:57 PM

IDASv3 > IDAS4

QUOTE (Cactus @ 20 minutes, 51 seconds ago)
Oh yeah, I don't want to imply that it isn't. I just laugh at people who have no idea how to handle snow.

I don't know how to handle snow. Then again, I haven't seen live snow in person in more than 15 years. laugh.gif
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Dec 10 2011, 10:10 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

QUOTE (Cactus @ 5 hours, 14 minutes ago)

Thanks for your opinion.

Mine is that RWD is indeed fun. I won't say it's more fun than AWD/4WD (unless you are in a large open space with snow that isn't higher than the clearance of the car).

Also, snow tires + snow driving ability/experience. A snow driving newb will still be a newb despite drivetrain or tires.

Jardim
Posted: Dec 11 2011, 11:56 PM

QUOTE (Cactus @ Dec 10 2011, 07:56 PM)

I have to agree with you on the RWD is fun and that you dont need AWD if you got nice snow tires. But AWD + Snow tires in the snow is not only easier to get rolling if you live in hilly areas but you can whip through snow covered roads like no tomorow, which to me is more fun.
Yoshida Seiji
Posted: Dec 12 2011, 12:22 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,634

Shit son. I drive in the snow with an FR, with normal tires. come at me bro
TTH
Posted: Dec 12 2011, 10:10 AM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,213

Snow and FR = Fun, lots of fun actually.
Even an old Merc 200 N/A diesel goes sideways and feels somewhat fast in winter. It's pouring free horsepower from the sky! biggrin.gif

But AWD on ice-track, win:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqlP6LC3nvk
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Dec 12 2011, 11:04 AM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ Dec 10 2011, 11:10 PM)
Also, snow tires + snow driving ability/experience. A snow driving newb will still be a newb despite drivetrain or tires.

But obviously a more suitable drivetrain and/or more suitable tires will help a newb drive more safely.
Spaz
Posted: Dec 12 2011, 03:10 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ 4 hours, 6 minutes ago)
But obviously a more suitable drivetrain and/or more suitable tires will help a newb drive more safely.

Which is precisely why snow tires should be made mandatory in the northern states by law, just like how Canada and Germany do it.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Jardim
Posted: Dec 13 2011, 01:17 PM

Last winter i was on good year regattas which is all season and the volvo did well, i was too broke to afford new tires. If snow tires were mandated id be screwed.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Dec 13 2011, 05:03 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (Spaz @ Yesterday, 4:10 PM)
Which is precisely why snow tires should be made mandatory in the northern states by law, just like how Canada and Germany do it.

Well, when crossing into snowy areas, depending on the conditions, the CHP sets up checkpoints to verify that you either have snow tires or chains. When we went earlier this year in a friend's STI, they let him pass since he had snow tires and AWD, though they made sure that he had chains just in case (which he did). Apparently anything shy of those two things together required you to put on chains regardless.
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Dec 14 2011, 10:50 AM

fyi

Not all parts of Canada have that snow tire rule.

This post has been edited by WRX DEMON Type R on Dec 14 2011, 10:50 AM
MetalMan777
Posted: Dec 14 2011, 01:26 PM

Snooping as usual

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ Yesterday, 8:03 PM)
Well, when crossing into snowy areas, depending on the conditions, the CHP sets up checkpoints to verify that you either have snow tires or chains. When we went earlier this year in a friend's STI, they let him pass since he had snow tires and AWD, though they made sure that he had chains just in case (which he did). Apparently anything shy of those two things together required you to put on chains regardless.

That rule is such a load of.....

Really the chains are just there to slow you down.

Chains are illegal in Ohio, thank god.
Spaz
Posted: Dec 14 2011, 02:08 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ 3 hours, 17 minutes ago)
fyi

Not all parts of Canada have that snow tire rule.

Only the good ones.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Dec 14 2011, 08:55 PM

lol.

It would be nice to bring it to everywhere in Canada, but it's a sad situation with folks who need cars to get around and can't find it feasible in their budget to get a set of snow tires.

If everyone in Canada could afford to buy their children an EVO and then purchase themselves an STi, it would be pretty easy to pass this kind of law.

40 Pages  « 26 27 28 29 30 »