Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Blazin' Beat

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 11,702  ·  Replies: 18 
> Is Shinji autist? What you think?, Just enter if you watched the Final Stage!
Samoro
  Posted: Jul 8 2016, 04:02 PM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 46,822

I watched the Final Stage and Shinji turned into one of my fav characters. But what called my attention, more than his skills, was his description by his mom.

SPOILER

It's just for curiosity, cause I wanted to share it with someone and I couldn't hold it only for myself.
Tessou
Posted: Jul 8 2016, 04:41 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

By that logic, Takumi is also autistic.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
The Sixth Element
Posted: Jul 8 2016, 05:05 PM

matter intangible

Member No.: 44,779

QUOTE (Samoro @ 1 hour, 3 minutes ago)
I watched the Final Stage and Shinji turned into one of my fav characters. But what called my attention, more than his skills, was his description by his mom.

SPOILER

It's just for curiosity, cause I wanted to share it with someone and I couldn't hold it only for myself.

Try not thinking about him in a mental state. Instead, see him by his personality since it would make a bit more sense.

APX
Posted: Jul 8 2016, 06:32 PM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,473

So does that mean ID is a dream?
And it is in fact, Initial Dream?
Samoro
  Posted: Jul 8 2016, 06:46 PM

IDW Member

QUOTE (Tessou @ 2 hours, 5 minutes ago)
By that logic, Takumi is also autistic.

Takumi learned to drive with 13, it means he needed to study/decorate every corner, gear, and speed limits, unlike Shinji, who noticed Hakone details before drive (probably at 12), when he was a child. He saved it in mind.
APX
Posted: Jul 8 2016, 06:48 PM

What kind did Takumi decorate the corners with? glowsticks?
kyonpalm
Posted: Jul 8 2016, 06:59 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

Takumi vs. Shinji was truly the Battle of The Autists.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
APX
Posted: Jul 8 2016, 07:16 PM

Too autist.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Jul 8 2016, 07:24 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

Maybe that's the wrong term to use. Autistic. As a teacher, this word carries strong connotation. I'm not going to get into the educational definition or anything like that lest I bore everyone to death. But in short, yes those on the autism spectrum tend to have trouble fitting into normal society and take extreme interest in mundane or strange things. Which both Takumi and Shinji do. But are they socially awkward? I wouldn't say they are.

I think a better term to use would be sevant. Their focus on driving and technique is so sharp, that it is considered an art form by many of the other characters.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
APX
Posted: Jul 8 2016, 07:26 PM

That Autist.
Samoro
  Posted: Jul 8 2016, 08:17 PM

IDW Member

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ 52 minutes, 21 seconds ago)
Maybe that's the wrong term to use. Autistic. As a teacher, this word carries strong connotation. I'm not going to get into the educational definition or anything like that lest I bore everyone to death. But in short, yes those on the autism spectrum tend to have trouble fitting into normal society and take extreme interest in mundane or strange things. Which both Takumi and Shinji do. But are they socially awkward? I wouldn't say they are.

I think a better term to use would be sevant. Their focus on driving and technique is so sharp, that it is considered an art form by many of the other characters.

Thanks for the correction and for share it. =)
I don't see Takumi like Shinji, but this other long topic and I don't want it. For me, watch Final Stage with this think made me like more the series. I'm translating the manga to Portuguese and it's like see all the character deeper again. What I missed in the series was the focus in the social relationships. I understand it's a motorsport series and one thing some friends disliked was from the Fourth Stage to the end the series get repetitive.
Tessou
Posted: Jul 8 2016, 09:38 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Samoro @ 1 hour, 20 minutes ago)
Thanks for the correction and for share it. =)
I don't see Takumi like Shinji, but this other long topic and I don't want it. For me, watch Final Stage with this think made me like more the series. I'm translating the manga to Portuguese and it's like see all the character deeper again. What I missed in the series was the focus in the social relationships. I understand it's a motorsport series and one thing some friends disliked was from the Fourth Stage to the end the series get repetitive.

The overarching theme of the final battle of Initial D was Takumi facing a character that was just like him: a young upstart with ridiculous skill. Shinji didn't need a fancy team of professionals to be a top notch driver, and he didn't need a race tuned car to challenge "the best". Sounds familiar?

Takumi rode with Bunta on the roads before he was a driver. He knew Akina before he was driving on it. There's no reason to disbelieve that he studied Bunta's techniques while riding as a passenger.

They're the same character. Takumi needed to face an "impossible" opponent before closing out the series.
Taro Maki
Posted: Jul 8 2016, 10:15 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 33,812

Shinji = Autistic ?
So Shinji is the Sheldon Cooper of drifting ?
Meteor
Posted: Jul 8 2016, 10:19 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

Shinji's mom mentions how Shinji never got good grades in school, but that his teachers always said he was smart.
Given that, Japan's tendencies to sweep any sort of psychological disorder completely under the rug (if the US overdiagnoses mental issues, then Japan underdiagnoses them), and the way he acts in the series (the story goes out of its way to make him a little eccentric) it's not out of the question that Shinji could be on the high-functioning end of the autism spectrum. People with high-functioning autism can have eccentricities, but be relatively normal otherwise, and some of them can also get more normal over time. Take it from someone who's experienced this far more firsthand than he'd have liked. (And is now stuck eternally facepalming at his younger self, but I digress)

Whether or not Shigeno actually meant for Shinji to have an actual psychological condition is another question though. It's possible he just decided Shinji would work better as a weird character instead of a normal one, and then threw in some standard weird-character traits until he got the character he wanted. I can confirm I never saw cars having wings or driving in happy or unhappy ways.

As for Takumi - yeah, he's pretty much normal.
Tessou
Posted: Jul 9 2016, 08:01 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Meteor @ 9 hours, 42 minutes ago)
As for Takumi - yeah, he's pretty much normal.

He seems more socially repressed than anything else. Thanks, Bunta.
Rain197
Posted: Jul 9 2016, 08:48 AM

euro☆neko

Member No.: 45,553

All the cracks, the water flow in the rain, the grass growing.

I'm doing the same when i am the passenger ohmy.gif
Tessou
Posted: Jul 9 2016, 08:54 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Rain197 @ 5 minutes, 20 seconds ago)

I'm doing the same when i am the passenger ohmy.gif

You must be autistic, then! troll.gif
Rain197
Posted: Jul 9 2016, 09:06 AM

euro☆neko

Member No.: 45,553

Glad to hear it derp.gif
xiao
Posted: Jul 9 2016, 09:13 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

When I was driving the back of the 911-partyvan we used to designate those special drivers under the ER code-name MR.

It's a very complex bio-organical neurologic algorithm that Doctor Zigma Froid discovered in the late 1990's ~ Shinji's cerebellum could very well have that same maternally-diagnosed condition which enables him to outperform the plot-armoured protagonist Tak.

This post has been edited by xiao on Jul 9 2016, 09:31 PM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums