Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Maximum Acceleration

Important Rules
Post everything about Initial D Arcade Stage 5 here. If you want to talk about ver.1 and ver.2, please post them in the ver.1 - 2 section. For anything about ver.3, please post them in the version 3 section. For anything about ver.4, please post them in the version 4 section. Participating in flame wars will be severely punished. NO plagiarism in any case. If you are posting information (i.e. - shift points) that did not originate from this forums, by all means, give the author / source proper credit. Violator will be given a verbal warning on first offence and an actual warning thereafter.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 9,257  ·  Replies: 66 
> Drift or Grip
Smoothie
  Posted: Aug 12 2009, 06:34 PM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,724

There should be only 3 kind of driving method, be it in ID5 or real life.
1.) Drift driving.
2.) Grip driving.
3.) Drunk driving.

Drift driving is simple, approach a corner with calculated speed, brake, shift down, hold accelerator and turn wheel.

For grip driving, has any one ever tried it? I know it is kind of hard to hold the temptation, but any one?

A COOL NOOB w00t2.gif
DigiBunny
Posted: Aug 12 2009, 08:33 PM

Reading is magic!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 30,700

It's not that simple. making your tach redline in your second gear can push your speeds well above the accepted cornering velocity; and usually in ID it makes you slide out. Into a wall. Even if you dont, you'll most likely be sideways and have earned the wrath of the accel penalty for doing so.

Drift would serve no purpose other than to desperately block the final corners of a battle; and even then you would be using up your tire boost.

Grip is the ideal play style. The Tire boost in V5 makes the speedometer innacurate; you can be going faster or slower than it says you're going and that in turn will affect what kind of time you run. We're all kinda playing grip here.
Smoothie
  Posted: Aug 12 2009, 09:14 PM

IDW Member

Correct me if i am wrong, simply put most season players limit their drift and concentrate on how fast they can exit the turn, right

And they do it by reducing their speed just enough to prevent the car from under or oversteer and get the best speed in exiting. In theory.

Sorry just a beginner trying to figure out how to play the game.

A COOL NOOB w00t2.gif
DigiBunny
Posted: Aug 12 2009, 09:21 PM

Reading is magic!

Drift = Bad. So short answer, yes, they do. Exit speed isnt AS significant as in previous versions; if you hold back during cornering you gain tire boost which in turn propels you faster through the course; but too slow of an exit will affect you more than you think. There's an equilibrium you should aim for.

You wont understeer if you're slow enough; the focus is to reduce oversteer and tailswing, thus in the process keeping your tires in as operable condition as possible.

Smoothie
  Posted: Aug 12 2009, 10:02 PM

IDW Member

Great, thanks...will try it on the weekends.

A COOL NOOB w00t2.gif
Amaze8
Posted: Aug 15 2009, 04:47 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 12,425

IMO. I've find out that grip style is better than drifing can sometimes oversteer hit the wall...and make the acceleration slow down... wink2.gif
Randy
Posted: Aug 16 2009, 08:34 PM

The Aspiring Sprinter

Member No.: 32,890

I dunno, I am just not used to grip style. I don't have much problems in controlling drift since I am mostly used to driving that way.

In Tsukuba is where I practice my drift style the most. Whereas if I am to think of learning grip style, Irohazaka is my place. wink2.gif
Smoothie
  Posted: Aug 18 2009, 10:16 PM

IDW Member

I played against Takumi on Akina during the weekend, play 10 times and still got dusted sad.gif. I noticed that he drift and its amazing how fast he can do it blink.gif....i don’t know, may be its the gutter or a computer thing.

To: Randy
I guess its kind of like i prefer cheese cake to chocolate cake...i still like them both though. As long as it makes me happy grin2.gif

A COOL NOOB w00t2.gif
DigiBunny
Posted: Aug 19 2009, 01:14 AM

Reading is magic!

But see, that's Takumi.
A computer opponent.
Who is programmed to go at a certain speed.

The reason you lost is due to your own cornering. Watch some vids from youtube down akina, and try to stay withing their entry/exit speeds. That alone should be enough; assuming you dont hit walls like you were magnetically attracted. Takumi is only around 3'30-3'27, so it shouldnt be too difficult if you do it correctly.
Randy
Posted: Aug 19 2009, 01:20 AM

The Aspiring Sprinter

Member No.: 32,890

You got a point there, DigiBunny. biggrin.gif

Watching youtube videos should help a lot in racing for an ideal line and cornering way when it comes to ID5.

Oh, and if you don't mind, can you tell me the run-time for Takumi in Nagao DH? I mean as in his total time for that course that is. smile.gif

I want to see if he's really faster than 3'18'00 =x

Since a lot of my friends said that's how fast he goes. ohmy.gif

Seriously though, if Takumi's record indication is of anywhere near what my friends assume, then I have a LONG way to go before I can catch up with his ungodly AI in Nagao. sad.gif
Smoothie
  Posted: Aug 19 2009, 08:27 PM

IDW Member

True true, watching video does help alot.

Will try again this weekend.

God i would love it if they to put vibrating chair and clutch in the machine, just like a real car laugh.gif.

A COOL NOOB w00t2.gif
LaLaLa
Posted: Sep 1 2009, 11:43 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 33,109

QUOTE (Randy @ Aug 19 2009, 01:20 AM)
You got a point there, DigiBunny. biggrin.gif

Watching youtube videos should help a lot in racing for an ideal line and cornering way when it comes to ID5.

Oh, and if you don't mind, can you tell me the run-time for Takumi in Nagao DH? I mean as in his total time for that course that is. smile.gif

I want to see if he's really faster than 3'18'00 =x

Since a lot of my friends said that's how fast he goes. ohmy.gif

Seriously though, if Takumi's record indication is of anywhere near what my friends assume, then I have a LONG way to go before I can catch up with his ungodly AI in Nagao. sad.gif

That is untrue. Unless your friends are playing on difficulty 10 or higher (even then I wouldn't think Takumi would be that fast) , Takumi's timing would be around 3'30-3'35

If Takumi's timing was 3'18, I would never have completed the game and so would many people out there.
Blazability
Posted: Oct 6 2009, 12:30 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 34,088

How do i do a grip style?(i'm a guy here who cleared game one time but still trying to improve on TA).
DigiBunny
Posted: Oct 6 2009, 01:27 AM

Reading is magic!

In short, you brake to the accepted entry speed of the map (Akina for example, 70-80 range) and stay off the gas. Turn the wheel early at first, then follow through with it as you hit the middle of the turn.
Blazability
Posted: Oct 6 2009, 07:28 PM

IDW Full Member

Does the forum have a video showing grip?
justxsongs
  Posted: Oct 6 2009, 09:38 PM

FUCK

Member No.: 32,783

Erm videos wont show u the foot steps. my advice is go down to the arcade, and watch. I improve from my gutter by watching REI.G, how he play live in the tampines mall. I also ask him some points. It helps alot
Rei.G
Posted: Oct 7 2009, 03:04 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 32,210

QUOTE (justxsongs @ 5 hours, 26 minutes ago)
Erm videos wont show u the foot steps. my advice is go down to the arcade, and watch. I improve from my gutter by watching REI.G, how he play live in the tampines mall. I also ask him some points. It helps alot

i hardly teach anything but glad that u learnt something smile.gif
justxsongs
Posted: Oct 7 2009, 05:06 PM

FUCK

[QUOTE] i hardly teach anything but glad that u learnt something

Oh ya especially the last curve of akina DH. Usually I turn at gear 3, instead I learn tt gear 4 with the handling of the steer wheel can enable to turn fast n better=D
Blazability
Posted: Oct 9 2009, 12:04 AM

IDW Full Member

will your corner exit be fast if your car is FT?
DigiBunny
Posted: Oct 9 2009, 12:09 AM

Reading is magic!

Your exit speed will be FASTER than if you were stock, yes. Overall, you would lose 4-5 seconds on your total time in comparison.
Blazability
Posted: Oct 9 2009, 08:22 PM

IDW Full Member

Haha,played arcade yesterday,got the hang of grip but my line is still not perfect.
justxsongs
Posted: Oct 9 2009, 08:36 PM

FUCK

Blazability Posted on 11 minutes, 37 seconds ago
  Haha,played arcade yesterday,got the hang of grip but my line is still not perfect.

Slowly bah, I 1st started to get grip n my line, also quite a challenge to mii. Keep banging the wall. Make sure u know the whole map very very well, den u practice ur line bah. Jia you
Blazability
Posted: Oct 9 2009, 09:21 PM

IDW Full Member

lol,they say practice make perfect... grin2.gif
xyeohts
Posted: Oct 10 2009, 02:55 AM

Inhale Exhale.. Fumes

Member No.: 25,770

Drifting is fun a lot of fun.. but unless ur in V4 it would be a great skill to use..

in V5.. its all about grip... looks slow but ur pick up speed would be lightning fast..

this gives the FF a great advantage at some point..
HydE's High In T..
Posted: Oct 11 2009, 07:43 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 33,597

^

dude....did u drive any FF? how's the exit speed? jz curious cuz i never touched any FF b4 happy.gif

3 Pages  1 2 3