Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing (Battle Stage 2) Dave - Pride

4 Pages  1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 9,831  ·  Replies: 95 
> The banning of flohtingPoint, Detailed explanation
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 26 2012, 10:37 AM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Perry, the difference between Floh and Jays is that Jays was actually a friendly person off of the forums who chose to be an asshole on them.

Floh is a douche in real life too. I will never forget his "How to install a boost gauge" video where 1/4 is instructional and 3/4 is insulting.

Do I think either is an excuse to have them around again? Nope.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
JKaiba
Posted: Jun 26 2012, 10:52 AM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

What ever happened to this Flohting point?: https://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=51...indpost&p=94217 isn't it cute? It's like a baby picture of Ghidora. awesome.gif

Those are some of his first posts and I have to say that the things he talks smack about seem like the exact things he went in doing when he joined. I can't seem to find the point where he becomes so damn caustic. There had to have been something that triggered the change from Initial D/drift video fan and poster to elitist bastard who talks shit about anything that didn't fit into his version/vision of competitive motorsports.

Do you have a link to that boost gauge vid? I'd like to see it just for laughs.

This post has been edited by JKaiba on Jun 26 2012, 11:33 AM
MetalMan777
Posted: Jun 26 2012, 12:50 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (Perry @ Today, 5:31 AM)
Like someone said previously, it really isn't all that hard to not get banned.

I can understand not having this attributed to me if you had to actually search to find it, I'm a lazy ass who wouldn't search for it either, but I said it in this very thread. Can a ̶m̶a̶n̶ talking desert plant not get credit for his words?

QUOTE (MattW @ 2 hours, 40 minutes ago)
i see nothing wrong with calling someone a cockbag...that's one of the few things we call people at the track.

i guess it's just a gap in culture, but saw absolutely nothing wrong with his post.

Do you call your boss a cockbag? Would you call a hotel clerk a cockbag? Would you like to be called a cockbag outside of the track?

This post has been edited by Cactus on Jun 26 2012, 12:51 PM
MattW
Posted: Jun 26 2012, 01:24 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

QUOTE (Cactus @ 33 minutes, 18 seconds ago)
Do you call your boss a cockbag? Would you call a hotel clerk a cockbag? Would you like to be called a cockbag outside of the track?

I've actually called my boss that plenty of times, then we both laugh.
Spaz
Posted: Jun 26 2012, 02:00 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (Cactus @ 1 hour, 9 minutes ago)
Do you call your boss a cockbag?

On occasion, yes, knowing full well that something equally as amusing is coming back.

This is what Matt and I mean when we say it's a difference in cultures.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Jun 26 2012, 02:09 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

If you know that its from different cultures then you must understand that not everyone knows the track lingos that are commonly used. I was at first offended by floh's post but then I came to terms with it because:
    1) I kinda knew that he was like that.
    2) You guys just explained it to me.

Either way, it is not commonly socially acceptable to call your superiors cockbags without getting a pick slip or something worse.
Mazda ina Ford guy
Posted: Jun 26 2012, 02:55 PM

333 Half Evil

Member No.: 37,098

Cockbag would be mild compared to the way my boss and I talk to each other at work. awesome.gif

Jkaibas link was weird, everything was sepia toned, who was this guy using flohtingpoints account (not the floh I know!), GT5 perfect Lols. Good times, good times...

Wanderer
Posted: Jun 26 2012, 03:23 PM

The Watcher

Member No.: 35,816

QUOTE (JKaiba @ 6 hours, 10 minutes ago)
The desire for transparency here at IDW stems from the sense that as an older, larger forum, there are far more things going on in the woodwork than the old- someone who got banned for acting petulant. While I've been on the moderating team at WME I haven't seen major incidents of staff members abdicating their impartiality in favor of personal agendas. There also hasn't been a great clamor for explanations when warns or bans are handed out. It isn't like it's not explained either in the warn or in a follow up post. It's normally fairly obvious anyway. The level of discussion and transparency we're seeing here only becomes necessary when the community needs to feel confident about the staff's decisions when the situation is complicated or it is possible that a staff member acted out of line. The situations we've dealt with at WME are usually so black and white by comparison.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any position that can argue effectively that we've had failings as staff on the sister forum is useful for constructive criticism. Considering the level of activity on that forum (being lower on average than here) and the diasporation and subsequent re-accumulation of regular users not to mention their sporadic posting habits, it's more difficult to get a feel for the waters. Consequently it's also harder to form a bandwagon and therefore easier to control user attacks. That's just my analysis.

You're completely right, I was just thinking back to when Snow was banned and how a thread like this would've been nice to at least say our final fairwells, then the thread would just slip into history.

CrypticApathy
Posted: Jun 26 2012, 10:35 PM

OH SNAP!

Member No.: 1,065

Oh this is lovly, i come back after years and he gets banned. This is funny as hell to me and i dont know why.
Spaz
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 07:11 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (CrypticApathy @ 8 hours, 35 minutes ago)
This is funny as hell to me and i dont know why.

Congratulations. Too bad it's not, in any way, shape, or form, and you're just making yourself look like a cockbag in saying that.
Steve
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 07:17 AM

IDW Saiyan

Member No.: 1,205

QUOTE (Spaz @ 6 minutes, 7 seconds ago)
Congratulations. Too bad it's not, in any way, shape, or form, and you're just making yourself look like a cockbag in saying that.

How is flohting's ban justified when 'Spaz is theoretically doing the same thing floh was?

I don't understand what direction IDW is going what the 'new' staff and the work ethic. I'm all for 'LONG LIVE IDW' and all of that shit, but I feel like this message board is holding grabbing everyone by the throat when strolling around.

This post has been edited by Steve on Jun 27 2012, 07:18 AM
kyonpalm
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 07:52 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Steve @ 34 minutes, 23 seconds ago)
How is flohting's ban justified when 'Spaz is theoretically doing the same thing floh was?

That's a very good question, Steve. Spaz, please try not to let your personal opinions on this matter make you apprehensive toward others in this thread. It may have been in poor taste for CrypticApathy to say that, but that doesn't mean you should take an inappropriate attitude, either, especially considering your moderator status. I really shouldn't have to say this in public...
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
MattW
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 09:10 AM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

i think everything should be out in public.
Spaz
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 10:02 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Steve @ 2 hours, 45 minutes ago)

I don't understand what direction IDW is going what the 'new' staff and the work ethic. I'm all for 'LONG LIVE IDW' and all of that shit, but I feel like this message board is holding grabbing everyone by the throat when strolling around.

Thank you. smile.gif
Tessou
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 12:18 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (Steve @ 5 hours, 1 minutes ago)

Because Spaz is keeping that behavior off of the board.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 12:59 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Is this thread not on the board or something? blink.gif Is this some sort of pseudo-universe caught between two planes of existence?
kyonpalm
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 01:06 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 6 minutes, 58 seconds ago)
Is this thread not on the board or something? blink.gif Is this some sort of pseudo-universe caught between two planes of existence?

This. Half the grief I've seen Spaz give on this matter is in this thread. unamused.gif
Yoshida Seiji
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 02:36 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,634

tl;dr

Good riddance, he was a doucher anyway. He contributed basic track knowledge that was common sense. I still cannot understand why some folk think he's such a guru with automotive stuff. He was a chump that just liked to bait and troll people, nothing of value was lost beyond the fact that he's been a member for a long time.
Tessou
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 04:10 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 3 hours, 10 minutes ago)

I don't think you're getting what I'm talking about.

Spaz does not go around the board starting fights and calling people disparaging terms. Floh did this for many years. What happens on the track and in the shop is a whole different ballgame, which is what Spaz explained. Yes, I understand that it's acceptable in those areas, but not on a board with rules specifically laid out to discourage members from doing so.
kyonpalm
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 04:21 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Tessou @ 6 minutes, 23 seconds ago)
I don't think you're getting what I'm talking about.

Spaz does not go around the board starting fights and calling people disparaging terms. Floh did this for many years. What happens on the track and in the shop is a whole different ballgame, which is what Spaz explained. Yes, I understand that it's acceptable in those areas, but not on a board with rules specifically laid out to discourage members from doing so.

Aaand you seem to not be getting what Don's talking about. Steve said Spaz was basically doing what Floh did, because he made this smartass post:

QUOTE (Spaz @ 9 hours, 5 minutes ago)

The word "cockbag" ring a bell? Then you said Spaz is "keeping that behavior off of the board" which is obviously false because Spaz just did so just five posts above you. Did you not see it? facepalm.gif
Tessou
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 04:30 PM

Group Icon

I must've missed that. facepalm.gif

Judgement mode, activate!
user posted image
Perry
  Posted: Jun 27 2012, 04:30 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

If so many people are frowning at the staff's decision, should we have a public vote then? Either way it's fine with me. Keep in mind the poll is not anonymous, admins can see who voted what, just keep that in mind.
Wanderer
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 04:38 PM

The Watcher

Member No.: 35,816

I think a democratic process would be a good idea.

kyonpalm
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 04:40 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

I think it's perfectly fine to make a poll letting the public decide whether Floh's banning was a good idea or not. I don't think the verdict will be any different, but there's no reason we can't do this. smile.gif

I will start the poll now...

This post has been edited by kyonpalm on Jun 27 2012, 04:41 PM
Spaz
Posted: Jun 27 2012, 09:38 PM

Group Icon

First note is that I did not CALL him a cockbag, but simply pointed out his statement had the distinct possibility of making him look one. I could have chosen any other mildly demeaning word and easily gone unnoticed, under the radar, a post to be skimmed and ignored.

But I chose that one, specifically because I had a point to prove. Context is everything here. It's a message board. The only thing we have is context. We have no emotion, we have no expressions, only words and (hopefully) punctuation marks. Anyone can interpret anything in any way they want, infer any meaning or intent they want, despite what the truth actually is. It turns what should be a cut and dry exchange of messages into a game of symbols and marks and their multiple meanings that one can play with to their heart's content. And when emotions and intent get replaced by preconceptions and imaginings, things turn ugly and wrong.

The context of floh's ban was that he made a simple joking statement that referenced the admin/mod team (myself included, remember) as "cockbags." You guys are free to use my above paragraph to interpret this one however you see fit.

4 Pages  1 2 3 4