Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Reina Akikawa's Theme

Important Rules
• Please use the Search function before you start a topic. Posting a repeated thread will result in a verbal warning.
• Advertising without any actual participation in the forums is consider spamming. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
• Post Initial D / Automotive related merchandise here. Unrelated threads will be locked and the topic starter could receive a verbal warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 17,031  ·  Replies: 64 
> My rendition of Keisuke's FD3S, aka my super secret project!
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 9 2011, 08:41 AM

Patient Zero

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 37,947

I got into Initial D over the summer and the first time I saw the Takahashi Brothers in their awesome RX-7s, I instantly fell in love with the show. I had so much intrest in how those cars were built, so in the spirit of creativity and boredom I came up with an idea to build a prop model of Keisuke's FD3S from First Stage. It's a 3/10 model of the RX-7 and I kinda fudged around with the details so it might not be exacty like the one in the anime... :\ BUT! I tried my best to get it as detailed as possible!

SPOILER

It's not quite finished so I didn't take pictures of every single detail but I got most of the things that I'm done with so stay with me here... These pictures were taken in my living room so excuse the sloppy backdrops. And now I present you with pictures of my project, I hope you guys like them! happy.gif

The rear view of the car. I'm still working on how to get those tail lights to show up the way I want them too... XD
user posted image

The RedSuns decal on the right side of the car. This is the better looking one in my opinion.
user posted image

The decals on the right side of the car as they appear in the anime? I looked around on the fourm and I found these. I hope they are right. This was the hardest part of detailing but it was so much fun! pinch2.gif
user posted image

The front of the RX-7! It's kinda boring looking but I'm working on making the head lights right now so that might be up when I get the time to finish them and make sure that they look good.
user posted image

I'm almost done with the detailing and touch up process and after all that I just have to work on the interior and then I'm finished with it!

This post has been edited by THE_HONDA_CG2 on Oct 9 2011, 08:42 AM
Alastair
Posted: Oct 9 2011, 09:42 AM

SNTS

Member No.: 27,312

Not bad, can't wait to see the finished product!
Boost1995
Posted: Oct 9 2011, 10:10 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,272

I agree awesome! It's really tough to make a one off replica. Props to you.
kyonpalm
Posted: Oct 9 2011, 12:27 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

That model is huge! Very interesting, what is it made of?
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 9 2011, 12:56 PM

Patient Zero

LOL it's not that big. The base measurements for the frame of the car are 134 cm by 52 cm. I got the inspiration from Initial D cosplays that they had floating around the internets. I was surprised that no one else thought about making a nice replica of any of the cars from Initial D. So I decided that I might as well try to do it!

@Alastair, it's about 90% finished by the time line I gave myself. All I have left to do finish up the detailing on head and tail lights, find out how to make the head lights attachable, make sure that the wheels are set in the right place, paint on the door handles, and finish up the inside to make it look nice. It sounds like a lot of work but it's really easy if you're listening to EuroBeat! I hope I can finish it by the time winter break comes around!^_^

@Hououin Kyounma, it's made literally out of cardboard, paper mache, glue, and lots and lots of love... and tears... BUT mostly love! I'll see if I can find any pictures of it in progress, so hang on guys!

I'd like to give Yoshida Seiji a really special thanks, because without him I would have never figured out where the heck the door handles on the RX-7 were! Thanks Yoshida! You're a lifesaver! happy.gif

This post has been edited by THE_HONDA_CG2 on Oct 9 2011, 12:56 PM
Alastair
Posted: Oct 9 2011, 01:06 PM

SNTS

I say save this for anime expo next year.
Mazda ina Ford guy
Posted: Oct 9 2011, 01:08 PM

333 Half Evil

Member No.: 37,098

Nice work! Is this for cosplay or something? For fun? Looks like a lot of work/love went into that model, you seem to have the proportions right, not easy. =)
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 9 2011, 07:18 PM

Patient Zero

QUOTE (Alastair @ 6 hours, 12 minutes ago)
I say save this for anime expo next year.

How is it that you can always read my mind Alastair?!?

I started this project right after I finished watching the end of Fourth Stage (sometime near the end of July?) and worked on it almost every day so of course a whole ton of love went into this project! At first this was just for fun because I had nothing better to do over the summer but when I joined IDW and learned about the 2012 gathering that you guys were planning the whole purpose of the project changed. It was like desitny or something... *-*

So now I'm planning on cosplaying as Keisuke for next year's AX gathering if I get the time to go now I just have to figure out how to do that. XD
Alastair
Posted: Oct 9 2011, 07:24 PM

SNTS

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ 5 minutes, 56 seconds ago)
How is it that you can always read my mind Alastair?!?

I started this project right after I finished watching the end of Fourth Stage (sometime near the end of July?) and worked on it almost every day so of course a whole ton of love went into this project! At first this was just for fun because I had nothing better to do over the summer but when I joined IDW and learned about the 2012 gathering that you guys were planning the whole purpose of the project changed. It was like desitny or something... *-*

So now I'm planning on cosplaying as Keisuke for next year's AX gathering if I get the time to go now I just have to figure out how to do that. XD

if you wanna keisuke wig i recomend that you buy one. Look up arda wigs, they can comission wigs too ^__^
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 9 2011, 09:29 PM

Patient Zero

Ooo that sounds like a great idea! Thanks, I'll look into it Alastair!

Ok this is going to be one hell of a post... I've finished looking through all my random pictures on my camera at home and sorted out the ones that are related to the production of my car! So they're in chronological order from when the frame was just a wee box to its final coat of yellow paint before I started detailing it. Once again I apologize for the sloppy backdrops, these pictures were taken in various parts in and out of my house. Also since I was so concentrated so hard on finishing this project, I totally forgot to record the exact dates of then the pictures were taken (and since I don't have my camera here with me, I'll give some exact dates when I go home again and check). OK SO HERE WE GO!

Preface: It was a sunny day sometime during the last week of July when I decided to get this project underway. Taking the box of a flat screen TV what my dad recently bought and a few other boxes that I found laying around in the garage I began working...

(Day 1) These are all the pieces of cardboard that went into the frame and I photobombed this picture with my legs... Sorry about that. pinch2.gif
user posted image

(Day 2) First couple of pieces of the wheels and the spoiler along with another nice shot of my legs! And the second picture is the hood/front of the car being glued to the side. That's my sister holding up the unglued side and me hiding behind it. happy.gif
user posted image
user posted image

(Day 3) The frame when it's finally finished being glued together. Me and my sister photobombed this picture pretty hard LOL. The other picture is a shot of the bottom view of the car, there you can see the space where the wheels are put in. It was so hard making sure that it held it's shape... dry.gif
user posted image
user posted image

Side note 1: There's a time skip here because it got super hot into the first week of August and I didn't feel like working then.
But here's a picture of what the frame looks like when it's just chilling out!
user posted image

(Day 7) This is where it gets really ghetto. I thought the frame was too angular so I decided to tape newspapers to round it out. I thought it was really creative and it turned out rather nicely!
user posted image

Side note 2: I stopped taking pictures at this point because all I had to do was paper mache it till it got to the shape that I wanted. So the frame goes from ghetto as sin to something covered in Chinese newspaper. This process took a few days because I had to do 10 or so layers of paper mache so there's a huge time skip. I totally forgot about taking pictures of the wheels and the spoiler so we don't see them again till they're almost finished (sorry!). Also there's just random time skips from here on out because I had to start packing for college. :\

(Day 15) The final layer of newspaper and paper mache before I add the side view mirrors and the spoiler.
user posted image

(Day 16) The frame with attached side view mirrors and spoiler with the wheels finished (paper mache-wise) and painted with a base coat of black paint and the beginnings of the rim detailing.
user posted image

Side note 3: At this point in time I was really uninspired to work on it because of the amount of time that it took every day to get to the next step. Also my sister advised me against doing more work on it because the paper mache needed time to properly set and dry. So there's about a week time skip where I just didn't work on it.

(Day 23) Finally got to test the paint on the side view mirrors and paint on the frame (shown in the second picture) just to make sure that it shown through the newspaper.
user posted image
user posted image

(Day 26) Only after making sure that the side view mirrors wouldn't fly off the frame anymore by adding copious amounts of glue to them, I painted the entirety of the car yellow. This is what it looks like after the third and final coat. I took a week and a half hiatus to make sure that the paint was properly dried before I started working on the details.
user posted image

(Day 36) I started the datailing process but I forgot to take pictures. (Sorry about that! pinch2.gif ) But as you guys can imagine the windows were filled in paint and the frame actually started looking like a car! This was the last time I properly got to work on the car before I was shipped off to college because it was the end of August by this time. So there's a month or so time laspe while I was at school before I got to work finishing up the details and the pictures in my first post were taken.

And that's where to first post picks up. LOL this totally seems like Homer's Odyssey but yes, I joined IDW to find more information on the RX-7 (see this thread here.) and you guys provided!

Since its nearly finished I'll get more pictures up when I go home again and do some more work on it. Good gosh, this post took two and a half hours to write... I told you this was going to be one hell of a post didn't I? Well look forward to some more pictures soon-(ish???) guys! happy.gif
Yoshida Seiji
Posted: Oct 10 2011, 11:08 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,634

That's pretty dang nifty.
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 10 2011, 09:54 PM

Patient Zero

Well you did help in making this happen. I would be honored if you signed the inside of my car if I see you at the 2012 AX gathering! happy.gif
Yoshida Seiji
Posted: Oct 10 2011, 10:23 PM

IDW Goldmember

Yeah if I make it, I'd be happy to.
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Oct 10 2011, 11:04 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

I don't think there's a kanji character before the number plate number - at least, that's not how they do it in Japan. It's always hiragana (maybe katakana? I can't remember).
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 10 2011, 11:27 PM

Patient Zero

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ 20 minutes, 47 seconds ago)
I don't think there's a kanji character before the number plate number - at least, that's not how they do it in Japan. It's always hiragana (maybe katakana? I can't remember).

Well that kanji is the Chinese character that loosely translates into 'number' based on my limited knowledge of the Chinese language. Why do they put a character there anyways? I know that the top of the licence plate says Gunma and the city that it's from (Akagi if I'm not mistaken). I used this image for the licence plate:
user posted image

I know the part in question is blurred out but from what I can tell it looked like a highly curly version of the Chinese character that I put on the plates.

If anyone can provide me a better picture of a Japanese licence plate then I'll be more than happy to fix it next time I go home to work on it!

Thanks for letting me know that I have something wrong with my plates WRX DEMON!
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Oct 11 2011, 09:35 AM

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ Yesterday, 4:27 PM)
Well that kanji is the Chinese character that loosely translates into 'number' based on my limited knowledge of the Chinese language. Why do they put a character there anyways? I know that the top of the licence plate says Gunma and the city that it's from (Akagi if I'm not mistaken). I used this image for the licence plate:
https://go2id.net/images/wallpapers/FDFCs2.jpg

I know the part in question is blurred out but from what I can tell it looked like a highly curly version of the Chinese character that I put on the plates.

If anyone can provide me a better picture of a Japanese licence plate then I'll be more than happy to fix it next time I go home to work on it!

Thanks for letting me know that I have something wrong with my plates WRX DEMON!

Here are some pictures of my car from when I lived in Gunma.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

See the top? It says "Takasaki" That's the city where I lived - Takasaki has their own license plate because the region of Takasaki city is pretty big - 5 years earlier, they used to use Gunma plates because Takasaki was smaller. The Takahashi bros also "live" in Takasaki, but they don't have Takasaki plates because Initial D was done back when everyone in Gunma had Gunma plates.

As you can see, the character to the left of the big numbers is the hiragana for the sound "u".

Also, in Japanese kanji is slightly different from Chinese kanji. So the kanji for number would be different, or not used alot.

Yes, my car was a Vivio RX-R, for people who know "Lucky D"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYPZum8Pxvc
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 11 2011, 09:07 PM

Patient Zero

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ Today, 10:35 AM)
Here are some pictures of my car from when I lived in Gunma.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...7_1146238_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...7_2174579_n.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...10_672029_n.jpg

See the top? It says "Takasaki" That's the city where I lived - Takasaki has their own license plate because the region of Takasaki city is pretty big - 5 years earlier, they used to use Gunma plates because Takasaki was smaller. The Takahashi bros also "live" in Takasaki, but they don't have Takasaki plates because Initial D was done back when everyone in Gunma had Gunma plates.

As you can see, the character to the left of the big numbers is the hiragana for the sound "u".

Also, in Japanese kanji is slightly different from Chinese kanji. So the kanji for number would be different, or not used alot.

Yes, my car was a Vivio RX-R, for people who know "Lucky D"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYPZum8Pxvc

Wow that's really informative! happy.gif

I didn't know that the license plates worked like that in Japan. So I'm guessing that I totally messed up on that little character thats on the left, now I want to change it! But do I just change it to that hiragana for the sound "u" or something else?

Also I'm confused as to why your license plate only has 4 numbers instead of the 5 like on the picture that I used. This is getting complicated... pinch2.gif
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Oct 11 2011, 09:36 PM

You can use any Hiragana (or Katakana) character. You don't have to use "u" if you don't want to.

In real life, all Japanese license plates only have 4 numbers divided by a hyphen. Above those numbers is the region or city name, with 3 other numbers (which from what I learned goes by the width of the vehicle - which is why the FD and FC have different numbers).

To make Initial D not coincide with real life license plates, the artist used fake numbers and more than 4 digits.

No worries.
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 11 2011, 09:43 PM

Patient Zero

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ 6 minutes, 16 seconds ago)
You can use any Hiragana (or Katakana) character. You don't have to use "u" if you don't want to.

In real life, all Japanese license plates only have 4 numbers divided by a hyphen. Above those numbers is the region or city name, with 3 other numbers (which from what I learned goes by the width of the vehicle - which is why the FD and FC have different numbers).

To make Initial D not coincide with real life license plates, the artist used fake numbers and more than 4 digits.

No worries.

Phew that means I don't have to mess around with the numbers that I painted on...

SPOILER

So do I have to change the Gunma characters that I painted on the top?

Also what Hiragana (or Katakana) character do I use? I know nothing about the Japanese character system and I'd feel better if I got someone who did know to help me out with the decision just to make sure that I did it right.

WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Oct 12 2011, 10:14 AM

You can use the "u" on my plate if you'd like. And your Gunma is alright. It's not perfect, but it's readable.
Yoshida Seiji
Posted: Oct 12 2011, 10:58 AM

IDW Goldmember

yeh

Kanji sucks at first, but then you get used to it. Kana is easy though.
Meteor
Posted: Oct 12 2011, 01:20 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

This is coming along nicely smile.gif

About the brake lamps - If you want them to have a lit up look you can try colouring them reddish-orange. Or you could try a two or three colour combination like reddish-orange with red on the outer areas, orange with reddish-orange on the outer areas, etc. Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by Meteor on Oct 12 2011, 01:21 PM
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 12 2011, 02:30 PM

Patient Zero

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ 4 hours, 2 minutes ago)
You can use the "u" on my plate if you'd like. And your Gunma is alright. It's not perfect, but it's readable.

Hmm, so does the "u" mean anything then? Argh I'm so confused as to what to do about my plates now. :\

Also it took me days to make sure that both of the Gunmas on the license plates were readable. I had to sketch them out in pencil first then go over the pencil with black paint (on a toothpick instead of a paintbrush because toothpicks are more precise) then finish up the detailing by fixing my mistakes with copious amounts of white paint. I put a lot of effort into it and I know it's not perfect but I'm not sure whether or not I should take the above statement as constructive criticism or a blow to my painting skills. pinch2.gif

QUOTE (Meteor @ Posted on 56 minutes, 43 seconds ago)
This is coming along nicely

About the brake lamps - If you want them to have a lit up look you can try colouring them reddish-orange. Or you could try a two or three colour combination like reddish-orange with red on the outer areas, orange with reddish-orange on the outer areas, etc. Hope this helps.

Ooo that sounds like an amazing idea Meteor! I'll try that when I get the time to work on it! Just to check, how are the shapes of the brake lamps? I think they're too big and out of proportion but I digress...
Yoshida Seiji
Posted: Oct 12 2011, 02:58 PM

IDW Goldmember

I think he's basically saying, you're probably not going to get it perfect without lots of practice, as kanji is kind of rough of people that don't really study it. But, that said, it's actually readable so it's good enough.
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 12 2011, 03:17 PM

Patient Zero

QUOTE (Yoshida Seiji @ 18 minutes, 25 seconds ago)
I think he's basically saying, you're probably not going to get it perfect without lots of practice, as kanji is kind of rough of people that don't really study it. But, that said, it's actually readable so it's good enough.

I know kanji and Chinese characters can get really complicated. I tried to get my lettering of Gunma to show up like a type set font but it's really difficult when you have to get it really small. The license plate is only about 6cm tall and 10cm long so that means that the lettering and the numbers are only about 2.5cm tall at the max. I had to practice the lettering word Gunma for a week and a half while I was working on the frame, I'm not a painter so I was never really good at it to begin with.

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was throwing a tantrum over this. I never meant to sound offended, I just wanted to clarify things. X|

On an intresting side note, the kanji for Gunma is actually translates into qún (群) mǎ (馬) in terms of pinyin (which is the romanization system for Chinese characters) and loosely translates into "herd of horses" in Chinese which I thought was really intresting. happy.gif

This post has been edited by THE_HONDA_CG2 on Oct 12 2011, 03:41 PM

3 Pages  1 2 3