Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - singin' 4U

Important Rules
• Please use the Search function before you start a topic. Posting a repeated thread will result in a verbal warning.
• Advertising without any actual participation in the forums is consider spamming. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
• Post Initial D / Automotive related merchandise here. Unrelated threads will be locked and the topic starter could receive a verbal warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 8,414  ·  Replies: 20 
> My Custom Made Initial D Guitar, The Initial V
preludicrous
  Posted: Jun 24 2011, 09:02 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,540

Hi, I'm new to this forum and wanted to share my new guitar with some people that could really appreciate it. I have been an Initial D fan since I first saw the animated series back in like '03 and have also gotten my oldest son into the cartoon as well.
This winter I began assembling parts to build a couple of custom guitars for myself. I knew that I wanted a flying v body style, but beyond that I had no idea what kind of paintjob or graphics I wanted on it. All I knew was that the guitar needed to in some way represent a part of myself.
One day I was watching an Initial D dvd with my son and as I saw Tak pull off the inertia drift in the first episode, I realized what I needed to do. It was so simple, a classic black and white color scheme but with a little more flair and individuality.
So I painted the body and headstock satin white (I hate gloss), used all black hardware, wrapped the pickguard in a faux-carbon fiber vinyl (a real carbon pickguard was outside my budget but may be added later), applied the classic Fujiwara Tofu Shop graphic down one side and an aluminum Initial D badge directly below the neck. I want to put a Trueno decal on the headstock, but I have yet to find anyone who will make me one to the size I need.
I am only posting one pic right now but will post more shortly. I still need to install the bridge, mount the neck and string it to be completely done. I just finished all pre-assembly and soldering tonight.
So without further adieu...Here is my custom built "Initial V" with the aptly added serial # of AE86001.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 799 x 760. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

More pics...
raw:
user posted image

paint:
user posted image

final:
user posted image

This post has been edited by preludicrous on Jun 25 2011, 05:25 PM
Jdmyo93
Posted: Jun 24 2011, 09:57 PM

Feelin a little furry?

Member No.: 31,392

HOLY shock.gif
That is amazing! The flying V even got the Fujiwara Tofu Shop logo on it as well as the Initial D logo and carbon fiber pickguard!

BTW are those Seymour Duncan pickups? I would love to do something similar to this on my LTD Viper 100FM. Yes I am jelly of your craftsmanship right now laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Jdmyo93 on Jun 24 2011, 09:58 PM
preludicrous
  Posted: Jun 25 2011, 05:00 AM

Shmuck

^ thanks, I have been working on this for almost 6 months (mostly the paint). I have never painted a guitar so it took me a while to get it this good. Primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, paint, sand off all the runs from my first paint attempt (lol) and finally paint again. I actually was going to put on a satin clear coat as well but I wanted to play it so bad and just the paint looked really good...
Yes, that's a seymour duncan sh-13 dimebucker. Its pretty much the only pickup I use, at least until I learn how to install active pickups then I may try a blackout or emg alexi laiho.
Jdmyo93
Posted: Jun 26 2011, 10:30 AM

Feelin a little furry?

QUOTE (preludicrous @ Yesterday, 5:00 AM)
^ thanks, I have been working on this for almost 6 months (mostly the paint). I have never painted a guitar so it took me a while to get it this good. Primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, paint, sand off all the runs from my first paint attempt (lol) and finally paint again. I actually was going to put on a satin clear coat as well but I wanted to play it so bad and just the paint looked really good...
Yes, that's a seymour duncan sh-13 dimebucker. Its pretty much the only pickup I use, at least until I learn how to install active pickups then I may try a blackout or emg alexi laiho.

Dang priming must be a tad pain in the ass to do laugh.gif

I have played a guitar with the same exact pickups and it is very good. Distortion and clean it sounds amazing. Well EMG are really good too but I find it okay with the sh13. Since I find EMG too 'crunchy' when I tried them.

Would love to have a Initial D Custom guitar on a SG/Viper body happy.gif
But still man this is amazing.

Where is the volume knob? I only see the tone switch or is that the volume knob? XD

preludicrous
  Posted: Jun 26 2011, 04:43 PM

Shmuck

Yes, the knob you see is volume. I play rhythm guitar, so for me less is more. 1 pickup, 1 volume always set to wide open and I'm good to go.
I really like sg's too, that may be one of my next projects. I am 50% done on another v, but a jackson style king v. The cost is killing me tho, each of these guitars is up above $500 so far. That's a lot for a guitar that I couldn't even sell for that price considering its a "no name." These aren't for sale, they are just for me so I guess its worth it.

I found my friends esp with emgs to sound really high in the treble area, the alexi model has a pretty good preamp so it should sound much better. October guitars makes a really badass pickup, I have one in my October Annihilator and it sounds better than the dimebucker imo. Im awaiting a response from October to see about just buying their pickups.
Jdmyo93
Posted: Jul 6 2011, 09:33 AM

Feelin a little furry?

QUOTE (preludicrous @ Jun 26 2011, 04:43 PM)
Yes, the knob you see is volume. I play rhythm guitar, so for me less is more. 1 pickup, 1 volume always set to wide open and I'm good to go.
I really like sg's too, that may be one of my next projects. I am 50% done on another v, but a jackson style king v. The cost is killing me tho, each of these guitars is up above $500 so far. That's a lot for a guitar that I couldn't even sell for that price considering its a "no name." These aren't for sale, they are just for me so I guess its worth it.

I found my friends esp with emgs to sound really high in the treble area, the alexi model has a pretty good preamp so it should sound much better. October guitars makes a really badass pickup, I have one in my October Annihilator and it sounds better than the dimebucker imo. Im awaiting a response from October to see about just buying their pickups.

I have never heard of October, sounds like a good guitar company, considering thats my birthday laugh.gif

$500??! Damn I cant even afford a $300 guitar lol
If you ever get the chance to make another guitar project, should be blue just like Bunta's STI happy.gif
Kiroshino
Posted: Jul 6 2011, 10:22 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 34,203

I don't know much about guitars (trying to teach myself, but it isn't working out too well atm), but I will have to say that it looks amazing. Keep up the good work!
Tessou
Posted: Jul 6 2011, 12:27 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Now you need to make an Initial Drum set to keep the beat. Well done!
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
preludicrous
  Posted: Jul 6 2011, 05:08 PM

Shmuck

QUOTE (Jdmyo93 @ 7 hours, 35 minutes ago)
I have never heard of October, sounds like a good guitar company, considering thats my birthday laugh.gif

$500??! Damn I cant even afford a $300 guitar lol
If you ever get the chance to make another guitar project, should be blue just like Bunta's STI happy.gif

I had never heard of October either, until I was browsing ebay and I found my "dream guitar" which is the Annihilator. It's the signature model of Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein (ex-Misfits guitarist), the original was built by Doyle in his family's machine shop and recently October secured the rights to build a production version (what I have) and a USA custom shop version (mad $$$). I saw the Misfits in 1998 and since then I have always wanted an Annihilator. Fast forward 13 years and I got one for my birthday from my fiance. Heres a pic...

user posted image

As far as the STi... I was actually thinkin about doing a whole Initial D themed lineup of guitars. The next one would be the GTR though cuz I LOVE the R32. My only problem is $$$. There would be roughly 8 guitars in the "set" so times that by $500 per guitar and holy crap I'm broke.lol.

Jdmyo93
Posted: Jul 7 2011, 12:31 PM

Feelin a little furry?

QUOTE (preludicrous @ Yesterday, 5:08 PM)

I had never heard of October either, until I was browsing ebay and I found my "dream guitar" which is the Annihilator. It's the signature model of Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein (ex-Misfits guitarist), the original was built by Doyle in his family's machine shop and recently October secured the rights to build a production version (what I have) and a USA custom shop version (mad $$$). I saw the Misfits in 1998 and since then I have always wanted an Annihilator. Fast forward 13 years and I got one for my birthday from my fiance. Heres a pic...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/4ws...32511181410.jpg

As far as the STi... I was actually thinkin about doing a whole Initial D themed lineup of guitars. The next one would be the GTR though cuz I LOVE the R32. My only problem is $$$. There would be roughly 8 guitars in the "set" so times that by $500 per guitar and holy crap I'm broke.lol.

0.0 Never seen anything like that before. Thats crazy! You can kiill with that guitar body laugh.gif

GT-R emblem on a guitar, thats actually a brilliant idea as well. smile.gif
preludicrous
  Posted: Jul 7 2011, 02:28 PM

Shmuck

QUOTE (Jdmyo93 @ 1 hour, 56 minutes ago)
GT-R emblem on a guitar, thats actually a brilliant idea as well. smile.gif

I completely agree. Since I only use a briidge pickup, I have that space right below the neck to putt all sorts of stuff. I would put the GT-R in that spot and a Night Kids decal somewhere on the body.
I am hoping to get good enough at building guitars that I can start selling them. Once I have enough tools, time and experience I plan on revisiting the Initial V and building another one that is much more in-depth. I would like to make it a set neck, all mahogany, recess the pickguard so its flush with the body (and use real cf) and hand carve all the logos/graphics.

Btw if anyone knows where I can get more of the Initial D badges, I would really like to know. I found the one I used on ebay and the seller only had one. The badge is aluminum and just the right size for accenting a guitar.
cncfan
Posted: Jul 23 2011, 11:50 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 34,202

Sugoi! happy.gif One of the coolest things i've seen recently. Keep up the good work!
Jdmyo93
Posted: Jul 25 2011, 09:35 PM

Feelin a little furry?

QUOTE (preludicrous @ Jul 7 2011, 02:28 PM)
I completely agree. Since I only use a briidge pickup, I have that space right below the neck to putt all sorts of stuff. I would put the GT-R in that spot and a Night Kids decal somewhere on the body.
I am hoping to get good enough at building guitars that I can start selling them. Once I have enough tools, time and experience I plan on revisiting the Initial V and building another one that is much more in-depth. I would like to make it a set neck, all mahogany, recess the pickguard so its flush with the body (and use real cf) and hand carve all the logos/graphics.

Btw if anyone knows where I can get more of the Initial D badges, I would really like to know. I found the one I used on ebay and the seller only had one. The badge is aluminum and just the right size for accenting a guitar.

I'd definetely buy a custom guitar even with your current craftmanship skills right now... If only I had the money... facepalm.gif

preludicrous
  Posted: Jul 30 2011, 04:16 AM

Shmuck

^thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. But it will still be a while before I build a guitar that I feel is worthy of selling. I am almost done my 2nd V, I literally have dried paint all over my hands right now from doing the bloodspatter pinstriping. I will post pics soon...

Here are some pics of my newest guitar

after initial sanding
user posted image

First paint
user posted image

Prep for pinstripes
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 755 x 799. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Adding bloodspatter
user posted image

Headstock graphic (no, pic is not backwards. I had the Jackson logo flipped and reversed since its not a real Jackson)
user posted image

After bloodspatter
user posted image
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 799 x 597. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

This post has been edited by preludicrous on Jul 31 2011, 06:16 AM
Alex
Posted: Aug 1 2011, 12:14 AM

OG Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 111

QUOTE (preludicrous @ Jul 6 2011, 08:08 PM)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/4ws...32511181410.jpg

Excellent guitar!
Stay 138
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Jdmyo93
Posted: Aug 14 2011, 08:38 PM

Feelin a little furry?

Did you just added the Jackson logo? Either way, its still epic. Jackson guitars are beautiful. Reverse headlocks are pretty cool too in my opinion.
preludicrous
  Posted: Aug 17 2011, 04:17 PM

Shmuck

^ yeah, I found a guy in mexico that mmakes the decals. I had him flip the logo upside down& backwards...
Gunma's 34
Posted: Oct 11 2011, 03:14 PM

The R34's chosen one

Member No.: 27,787

THAT GUITAR!!! HHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Oct 11 2011, 09:01 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

Oh that's so cool! It makes me want to pick up a guitar and play again so that I may one day be good enough to play something that awesome looking... *3*
superhours
Posted: Sep 29 2012, 05:12 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 39,023

Wow, all the guitars posted here look freaking amazing.
Ralli380Gvr4
Posted: Jan 8 2013, 11:12 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 40,034

So awesome!