Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing Norma Sheffield - If You Wanna Stay

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

16 Pages  1 2 3 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 55,211  ·  Replies: 383 
> The SpazEvo IX, Numero Dos!
Spaz
  Posted: Jan 13 2014, 09:33 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Alright, so as many of you probably have noticed, I picked up an Evo IX a week ago.

I'll start with chassis history, which is actually interesting!

I am the 4th owner. The car was a southern car up until March of last year, and is basically free of notable rust as a result. It has only seen salt for the past month while the 3rd owner was driving it to ensure no issues and then the few times I drove it.

The car was stock with some basic bolt-ons when the 2nd owner, a friend of mine, purchased the car. He was in the Army at the time, and was stationed at various bases in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida when he wasn't deployed. When his time was up, he applied for and got a contractor job, and went overseas again. During that period of time, he had the car, which was then further from stock, sent to Buschur Racing. his instructions? For David to clone the Bad Bish, their 700+whp shop car:

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiTwBAmjoGc )

The chassis, following that, made numbers anywhere from mid 700s all the way up to 870hp AT THE WHEELS on E98. it was taken down to TX2K last year and whooped up on some stuff, spun on the dyno, and was all around very good at looking stock but being anything but.

This was with 800lbs of dude in the car:
YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVXAVLJL31o )

Dyno pull:
YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI_R4oGZR10 )

I had a chance to ride in the car shortly after that, and that much power is really eye opening. Changes your perspective on the whole game.

At some point prior to the insane build, the car was backed into a ditch at speed, the wing broken and removed, and some body panels a bit messed up. The panels were replaced and the whole car was repainted, so the paint is fresh as of two years ago and has never been buffed or polished, it saw a clay bar out of the body shop and nothing but sealers since. A nice, fresh canvas for me.

Anyway, the 2nd owner got bored of the car (yeah, you read that right) because it just didn't try to kill him enough. He tried to sell it for a month and a half as it sat, and with no buyers, he bit the bullet and parted it out.

That's where the 3rd owner comes in, also a buddy of mine. He purchased the shell, rebuilt the car as near to stock as possible, and then sold it (to me) for a solid profit. The motor and t-case came from a IX MR that had its trunk pushed back into the rear seats and have 46k on them. The t-case, as a result, houses the more aggressive MR/RS helical front diff. The trans was rebuilt 3k ago, with the ever-desirable Evo VIII 4th gear, so it has the same driveline ratios as my old VIII. The only mods are a test pipe and Apex'i N1 coilovers with Swift springs, specifically the setup referenced in the video above on Buschur's car right down to the spring rates and damper settings.

But you guys really just want pics:

user posted image

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 534. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 534. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

So yeah, that's the new SpazEvo. awesome.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Jan 13 2014, 10:04 PM

Patient Zero

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 37,947

Congrats on the new car Spaz! It looks wonderful! I love how the first thing you do when you get the car is just to run it through detailing. Are you planning on repainting again? And what exactly are your plans now?
Banken
Posted: Jan 14 2014, 05:09 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 22,465

No offense, but buying a car that has been previously heavily modified, wrecked, repaired, and then detuned back to stock is not my idea of a good idea. If you're going to do that, you might as well buy the car with 800 hp, if only because of the extra metal fatigue that 800 hp does to the shell.

I assume it cost less than a similar stock or near-stock car in the same condition.

I've got N1 dampers too... how's the handling with yours?
Spaz
  Posted: Jan 14 2014, 09:59 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ Today, 1:04 AM)
Congrats on the new car Spaz! It looks wonderful! I love how the first thing you do when you get the car is just to run it through detailing. Are you planning on repainting again? And what exactly are your plans now?

The paint's in great shape outside of the front bumper, and I have no plans to take any part (or the whole thing) in for paint again if I can help it. I didn't detail it, just gave it a good wash so I could throw the cover on it for the next 2-3 months and not have any major contaminants on the paint.

QUOTE (Banken @ 4 hours, 19 minutes ago)
No offense, but buying a car that has been previously heavily modified, wrecked, repaired, and then detuned back to stock is not my idea of a good idea.  If you're going to do that, you might as well buy the car with 800 hp, if only because of the extra metal fatigue that 800 hp does to the shell.

I assume it cost less than a similar stock or near-stock car in the same condition.

I've got N1 dampers too...  how's the handling with yours?

I paid $18,500. A similarly clean, no accident, never modded IX with the same mileage recently sold locally for $25k.

The wreck was really minor, body damage came from bushes and a tree branch, nothing was compromised. The car left the ditch and made it 30 miles home under its own power. It needed a door, and fender, both skirts, and the wing was trashed.

The power on the other hand, it saw maybe 2000 miles total with that kind of power before the part out, and was towed from Buschur to Florida, from Florida to here, and from here down and back to TX2K. I plan to do a lot of the bolt-in bracing available, and will start with a 6-pt ladder brace just to see how bad it really is...

Anyway, outside of bracing, the car will get the injectors and clutch out of the black car, one of the Walbro 255 high pressure fuel pumps that previously came out of it, and then an E85 tune. Then it's more suspension mods and some cosmetic stuff.

I like the N1s so far, but the car is set up for high power and highway pulls, the rear end is soft so it squats hard on throttle and understeers a bit toward the limit. Buschur has a lot of time and effort into getting this setup perfect for the drag strip, so I may hold onto it as it sits to try to run some solid times before I do some "napkin math" and balance out the setup. I'd like to run an 11.49 or faster on fuel system alone, stock intake and exhaust included. The understeer can be driven around for the time being and it'll likely train my right foot more anyway.
RedsunsF1
Posted: Jan 14 2014, 12:15 PM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

Member No.: 38,401

Nice to see you driving an Evo again (:
sideways
Posted: Jan 14 2014, 01:11 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

Looks like youll have something to bring to socal this summer when i make it back out tongue.gif
Fast
Posted: Jan 14 2014, 02:23 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,986

Awesome car Spaz. It's got a cool backstory to boot!

There's just something special (coy, if you will) about a big power, wingless Apex Silver Evo.
Phantom_R32
Posted: Jan 14 2014, 03:16 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

I have a soft spot for Spoilerless Evos. Especially the IX. Looks great!
Banken
Posted: Jan 14 2014, 03:37 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (Spaz @ 5 hours, 37 minutes ago)
The paint's in great shape outside of the front bumper, and I have no plans to take any part (or the whole thing) in for paint again if I can help it. I didn't detail it, just gave it a good wash so I could throw the cover on it for the next 2-3 months and not have any major contaminants on the paint.

I paid $18,500. A similarly clean, no accident, never modded IX with the same mileage recently sold locally for $25k.

The wreck was really minor, body damage came from bushes and a tree branch, nothing was compromised. The car left the ditch and made it 30 miles home under its own power. It needed a door, and fender, both skirts, and the wing was trashed.

The power on the other hand, it saw maybe 2000 miles total with that kind of power before the part out, and was towed from Buschur to Florida, from Florida to here, and from here down and back to TX2K. I plan to do a lot of the bolt-in bracing available, and will start with a 6-pt ladder brace just to see how bad it really is...

Anyway, outside of bracing, the car will get the injectors and clutch out of the black car, one of the Walbro 255 high pressure fuel pumps that previously came out of it, and then an E85 tune. Then it's more suspension mods and some cosmetic stuff.

I like the N1s so far, but the car is set up for high power and highway pulls, the rear end is soft so it squats hard on throttle and understeers a bit toward the limit. Buschur has a lot of time and effort into getting this setup perfect for the drag strip, so I may hold onto it as it sits to try to run some solid times before I do some "napkin math" and balance out the setup. I'd like to run an 11.49 or faster on fuel system alone, stock intake and exhaust included. The understeer can be driven around for the time being and it'll likely train my right foot more anyway.

That's a pretty good deal, then.

It's unfortunate that the dampers are set up for going straight. A rebuild and revalving of alll four dampers will probably cost you well over $1000. I had to pay over $600 just to get my rear dampers rebuilt, and that's not with a revalving. And that&s not counting springs, either.
Grappler
Posted: Jan 14 2014, 04:13 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,805

"It only made 800" you and I both know that the 2nd owner was making way more than that. laugh2.gif Spinning all of the tires on the dyno making silly loops on the dynograph smile.gif
Spaz
  Posted: Jan 14 2014, 04:44 PM

Group Icon

For the posts that I didn't quote, thanks for the compliments!

QUOTE (sideways @ 3 hours, 13 minutes ago)
Looks like youll have something to bring to socal this summer when i make it back out tongue.gif

Hells yes! I'll have two weeks of vacation this year so it's game on.

QUOTE (Fast @ 2 hours, 1 minutes ago)
Awesome car Spaz. It's got a cool backstory to boot!

There's just something special (coy, if you will) about a big power, wingless Apex Silver Evo.

If there's one thing you should know about me, I'm a complete sucker for cars with numbers and cars with awesome backstories.

I really like the wingless look on this car, it's fucking sexy. Especially that last photo.

QUOTE (Banken @ 47 minutes, 31 seconds ago)
That's a pretty good deal, then.

It's unfortunate that the dampers are set up for going straight.  A rebuild and revalving of alll four dampers will probably cost you well over $1000.  I had to pay over $600 just to get my rear dampers rebuilt, and that's not with a revalving.  And that&s not counting springs, either.

I'm super happy, having been the one to spend the money. I don't think they've been revalved, but the rear springs are super soft and as a result so is the damper setting. I can do more research and report back.

QUOTE (Grappler @ 11 minutes, 53 seconds ago)
"It only made 800" you and I both know that the 2nd owner was making way more than that.  laugh2.gif Spinning all of the tires on the dyno making silly loops on the dynograph smile.gif

1000hp at the crank, easy. It never got a decent full boost pull on anything other than Buschur's heartbreaker.
Banken
Posted: Jan 14 2014, 11:51 PM

IDW Goldmember

If they're more than 2 kg softer than the ones that originally came with the N1s, or were order made, than they were probably revalved or custom valved for the springs.

The fact that they're Swift springs makes me think they're probably not order-made, though (but that's just an assumption).
Spaz
  Posted: Jan 15 2014, 09:18 AM

Group Icon

They were not revalved, I just asked. tongue.gif
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Jan 15 2014, 10:43 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

It's so weird... apex silver is one of the colors where I rarely see a wingless one. Does your trunk have holes still? Or were they plugged with something or actually professionally done and repainted? Or was it just a painted Lancer/RS trunk?
Bubs
Posted: Jan 15 2014, 12:11 PM

Plep

Member No.: 1,079

That's really cool! I was following the acquisition outside of IDW but didn't realize the car had such an interesting history! Pretty cool to have a car that's rather famous! I'm not a fan of highway racing but it was still pretty cool to watch it brush off that Audi R8 V10 with ease.
Spaz
  Posted: Jan 15 2014, 01:05 PM

Group Icon

Deez, filled and repainted with the rest of the car.

Bubs, thanks!

This post has been edited by Spaz on Jan 15 2014, 01:06 PM
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Jan 15 2014, 06:05 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

You should try to hunt down an SE lip.
Spaz
  Posted: Jan 15 2014, 07:56 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ 1 hour, 50 minutes ago)
You should try to hunt down an SE lip.

It's getting a lip of some sort in black, that's for sure.
Spaz
  Posted: Jan 28 2014, 08:48 PM

Group Icon

Parts off the black car!

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 720 x 540. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 720 x 540. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Spaz
  Posted: Feb 3 2014, 03:27 PM

Group Icon

Wally 255HP and body plugs for the trunk!

user posted image
Mazda ina Ford guy
Posted: Feb 4 2014, 01:25 AM

333 Half Evil

Member No.: 37,098

^Jeeze, what are those, 1984 Golf GTI seats!?! Sorry to hear about your wreck, glad your OK. Nice to see your back in the saddle again, some people just never learn. smile.gif

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Spaz
  Posted: Feb 4 2014, 09:40 AM

Group Icon

Learning is for pussies. laugh2.gif

Seriously though, my back won't take another one. Another similar situation will likely put me in a wheelchair. I've done a lot of re-thinking, and getting out of the game just isn't a viable option, so a different approach to building this car was the inevitable answer.

And LOL, my new DD is a base Mk5 GLI, so it comes (properly) with the GTI tartan seats. There's just something about plaid... Something about falling for character? Haha. wub.gif
Spaz
  Posted: Feb 12 2014, 08:22 PM

Group Icon

So, I'm finding out tonight that there are new pointless E85 regulations that basically renders most local stations (and I'd guess most stations period) unable to sell the fuel, with the requirement that holding tanks must have been only used for E85 for the entirety of their installation. For stations that store it in tanks previously used for gasoline, this means the tank must be removed and disposed of, and a new tank installed, which costs upwards of $200,000, a figure that in the grand scheme of things will never pay itself off.

Worse, the station in Baxter, MN, the only station near to BIR, is using a repurposed tank. As of right now they have stopped selling the fuel and while the owners are lobbying for the regulations to be changed, if they are not they will be forced to cease sales indefinitely.

On top of that, I can say that the only bad tanks of E85 I ran in the original SpazEvo came from a station that meets these requirements, further solidifying how bullshit they truly are, and that regulation needs to be upon the station itself and the quality of the fuel pumped there, and not the tank itself.

As of right now, the build direction of the car is up in the air since it looks like I will be forced to run an inferior fuel for my application.
Mazda ina Ford guy
Posted: Feb 12 2014, 09:08 PM

333 Half Evil

Member No.: 37,098

Time to switch to nitro-methane? awesome.gif

Welcome to the Peoples Republic of Minnesota, where government can solve all your problems, and create twice as many in the proccess.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Spaz
  Posted: Feb 13 2014, 09:36 AM

Group Icon

Yep, fuck this state.

I'm thinking an Aquamist kit is in order, run 50/50 water/meth in a fogger config and call it good. It's not a perfect replacement but it'll work.

16 Pages  1 2 3 »