Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing Man Power - Spark in the Dark

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

7 Pages  « 3 4 5 6 7  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 46,994  ·  Replies: 164 
> My Dragons! (Evo IV Coupe build and WRX DD)
Alchem1st
  Posted: Jan 27 2015, 04:30 PM

IDW Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,218

Yep, they are so close it's crazy! Actually though, I've upgraded my car with a handful of CT9A parts that are just straight swap out bits. It's got CT9A aluminum lower control arms with new spherical bushings and of course I ditched the AYC rear diff in favor of a USDM Evo 8 rear diff/mustache bar/hanger bar. It is amazing that everything is essentially unchanged though. I even used Energy Suspensions Master Bushing Kit for the Evo 8 haha. The only notable difference is the subframe and frame rail cups where the upper control arms bolt in are around an inch or two narrower.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Alchem1st
  Posted: Jan 30 2015, 10:31 PM

IDW Senior Member

Race car parts! biggrin.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: unknown. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

HEL steel braided brake lines for pedal feel; and Girodisc Titanium brake shims to prevent heat transfer into the steel pistons of the Evo 8 Brembo's.

Ebrake officially done! Required a little bit of modification to get good fitment; but it's done now. The ends
of the ebrake cables were a bit too big to fit in the cable pass-through on the Evo knuckle. A little work with
my mini belt sander and it fits perfect! The Evo lines had an oring to keep water out which I couldn't adapt;
so I coated the ends with blue rtv to create a seal. The pressure of the ebrake cable holds them in place.

No fit.
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: unknown. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Fit!
user posted image

All that's left is to fill the diff with oil, run new brake lines for the rear, and finish a few little things on the interior which I'm hoping to
have finished this weekend. Then I can focus on the next part of the build! (the fuel system)

user posted image
Alchem1st
  Posted: Feb 1 2015, 02:49 PM

IDW Senior Member

Video progress update! Sorry it cuts off at the end. My SD card was full lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2mM5VII1E0
Lonely_Driver
Posted: Feb 1 2015, 02:57 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 38,019

The fabrication and attention to detail is too much

I love it.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Alchem1st
  Posted: Feb 22 2015, 10:54 PM

IDW Senior Member

user posted image

That is all. awesome.gif

This post has been edited by Alchem1st on Feb 22 2015, 10:57 PM
Alchem1st
  Posted: Mar 1 2015, 10:45 PM

IDW Senior Member

Test fit the transmission and tcase in the modified K-frame today to check clearance. Looks like it'll need to be clearanced just a
bit and then Dad can seam weld it shut and we can hit it with some black paint and install it! Made some more progress on the
wiring today as well. Coming along slowly but surely.

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by Alchem1st on Mar 1 2015, 10:46 PM
Alchem1st
  Posted: Mar 16 2015, 08:35 AM

IDW Senior Member

Decided instead of extending all of the harness like I had originally planned that I'd just cut an extra hole in the firewall and mount the ECU
in the center of the car under the shifter cables like most of the other guys did. It just makes more sense to do it that way I think. I'd have
liked to extend the harness, but it would have been a huge undertaking and this isn't really doing it the wrong way either so decided this
would be the better option. It also let me use the stock wiring pass through as a dedicated pass through for aftermarket stuff! (Like the red
and blue 10ga wires you can see for fuel pumps 1 and 2) Here's how it turned out!

user posted image

This was prior to painting:
user posted image

You can see the finished product behind the Evo transmission and tcase that I also fitted this weekend! biggrin.gif
user posted image

All ready for a driveshaft now!
user posted image

I also picked up a Driven Fabrications vented AN catch can setup and a GFB Response adjustable BOV/BPV. Getting ready for BOOST!
user posted image

user posted image
Spaz
Posted: Mar 17 2015, 08:29 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Bravo! It's so close...
Alchem1st
  Posted: Mar 17 2015, 09:14 AM

IDW Senior Member

QUOTE (Spaz @ 45 minutes, 0 seconds ago)
Bravo! It's so close...

I know! awesome.gif Hopefully I'll be able to get a driveshaft made next weekend for it and I have a little work on the fuel system to take care of; but after that it's ready for the engine I don't have to go in! laugh2.gif
Spaz
Posted: Mar 18 2015, 08:43 AM

Group Icon

Right? I know that feel, like when I had the block in my VIII prepped for the replacement head that I didn't have. tongue.gif
Alchem1st
  Posted: Mar 22 2015, 05:00 PM

IDW Senior Member

Video update! Finished up the wiring and the first stage of the fuel system!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZE9Lj6o84
Alchem1st
  Posted: Apr 7 2015, 04:04 PM

IDW Senior Member

Engine parts are rolling in! awesome.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9qz4XXm4HE
Spaz
Posted: Apr 9 2015, 08:19 AM

Group Icon

An Evo 8 gasket? The IX gaskets have an extra layer, not sure if you're aware.
Alchem1st
  Posted: Apr 9 2015, 09:47 AM

IDW Senior Member

No, I figured the only difference would be the Mivec stuff. Well, that's alright. It'll have lower compression anyway with the pistons I have.

Spaz
Posted: Apr 10 2015, 09:44 AM

Group Icon

I didn't either until MAP made me aware when I was building the head on my VIII. The gasket is notably heavier and it is thicker, so it's got more crush room and will seal up a bit better, at the cost of lower compression. Not that the VIII gasket isn't good, they hold up very well, but the IX gasket is the way I'll always go from now on for OEM.

And MIVEC uses an external line so there's no provisions for it in the gasket. wink2.gif
Alchem1st
  Posted: Apr 10 2015, 09:51 AM

IDW Senior Member

QUOTE (Spaz @ 6 minutes, 55 seconds ago)
I didn't either until MAP made me aware when I was building the head on my VIII. The gasket is notably heavier and it is thicker, so it's got more crush room and will seal up a bit better, at the cost of lower compression. Not that the VIII gasket isn't good, they hold up very well, but the IX gasket is the way I'll always go from now on for OEM.

And MIVEC uses an external line so there's no provisions for it in the gasket. wink2.gif

Ah man I wish they would have told me! I bought my gasket from MAP as well and I would've gone that route for sure if I knew. I'm just gonna use it for now and get a IX gasket next time I have the head off the car. I'll probably see about changing it out this coming Winter when I do the 6262 as the tune will be changed then anyway. Haha shows ya how much I know about the Mivec stuff. I thought the head had some different oil passages and coolant passages compared to the IV-VIII though?

This post has been edited by Alchem1st on Apr 10 2015, 09:52 AM
Alchem1st
  Posted: Apr 16 2015, 09:58 PM

IDW Senior Member

Here's how the passengers side frame rail restoration turned out! Next I'll start work on the drivers side. It's not as bad though so it should go quicker.

How it all started:
user posted image

Several dremel flapper wheels and brass bristle brush wheels, a coat of rust treatment, and a coat of primer later:
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Another donation from the half cut!
user posted image

As opposed too:
user posted image

Bam!
user posted image
Alchem1st
  Posted: Apr 18 2015, 04:08 PM

IDW Senior Member

Bam

Manley Turbo Tuff I-beam rods with ARP 625+ rod bolts and Wiseco 1400HD pistons!
user posted image

Curt Brown #319 handmade for my car!
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Had to have him modify the intake manifold as well! It's port matched and cleaned up a bit as well as bored out for more plenum volume
and then he welded a 70mm flange on to accommodate the new Full Blown 70mm throttle body! (which I couldn't help but install right away)
Notice the C and B on the fuel rail mounts? Another little touch added by Curt. thumbsup.gif
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Curt always adds a personal touch to each intake manifold he mods. I got a smiley face! My friend Chad got a different part of the human body
drawn on his. laugh.gif
user posted image
Spaz
Posted: Apr 19 2015, 07:49 AM

Group Icon

BTW, if you ever need another mani, I have a IV mani just taking up space. I'll be scraping a bunch of stuff in the coming weeks, but that I'm keeping.
Alchem1st
  Posted: Apr 20 2015, 09:47 PM

IDW Senior Member

QUOTE (Spaz @ Yesterday, 7:49 AM)
BTW, if you ever need another mani, I have a IV mani just taking up space. I'll be scraping a bunch of stuff in the coming weeks, but that I'm keeping.

Cool man I'll keep that in mind! It would be an upgrade for your car tho. What all you scrappin? Hit me up on fb! Another part for the head showed up today as well as an Evo 8 tps sensor for the throttle body. thumbsup.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 5312 x 2988. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
Spaz
Posted: Apr 21 2015, 08:49 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Alchem1st @ Today, 12:47 AM)
Cool man I'll keep that in mind!  It would be an upgrade for your car tho.  What all you scrappin?  Hit me up on fb!  Another part for the head showed up today as well as an Evo 8 tps sensor for the throttle body.  thumbsup.gif

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo236/c...ma.jpg~original

MMMmmm... Kiggly HLA.

Also, I6 cap on backwards? Obviously just hanging out there for now, but had to give you shit. tongue.gif

I'll let you know what I'm getting rid of, the big thing is a cracked VIII head and a few other smaller things, brackets and whatnot. Just trying to make space. I can't actually use that mani on the car since there's no port for the MAP sensor... It would have gone on my 8 VIII in a heartbeat if I could have.

This post has been edited by Spaz on Apr 21 2015, 08:50 AM
Alchem1st
  Posted: Apr 21 2015, 12:13 PM

IDW Senior Member

Haha yeah I noticed the cap was on backwards as well after I took the shot. That's how it came from Curt lol. Yeah, for sure let me know what all you have. I've been tracking down misc brackets and whatnot the last few days. Stuff has gone missing in the last 4 years since I disassembled the half cut lol. Ah, bummer. You should just tap it for the map sensor. That's what I'll be doing I think. Not actually sure how the 4-6 logged boost. I didn't realize they didn't have a map sensor until last week. Something I have to look into.

Alchem1st
  Posted: May 4 2015, 06:24 AM

IDW Senior Member

Alchem1st
  Posted: May 9 2015, 08:44 PM

IDW Senior Member

Well, I now have the block clearanced for the stroker! Did it all by hand the old fashioned way with a carbide bit and a die grinder. smile.gif (hope I cleaned everything up well enough! ill.gif)
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 5312 x 2988. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

After I finished this I was still hitting on the second from the left cylinder and was confused for a few minutes until I realized the rod wasn't
actually hitting in the cylinder like the rest were haha! Here's the other spot that needed clearancing.
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 2988 x 5312. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

All clear!
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 2988 x 5312. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Ooooooo fancy! Tomei crank scraper/windage tray kit. 8)
user posted image

Also, I may be changing up my setup a bit due to some life circumstances. For now I've put the 6262 up for sale and am rebuilding my stock frame turbo with an upgraded
thrust bearing kit and a 25G compressor wheel and bigger housing. I'm looking at lowering my power goal from 700whp to around 500whp or so to save some cash on the
build and still be able to finish the engine build and install this year. Still hoping to make it to the DSM Shootout! Tomorrow I'll be checking the oil clearance on the rod
bearings and hopefully gapping the piston rings. Then I need to buy a ring compressor and install everything and I'll have the rotating assembly done!

This post has been edited by Alchem1st on May 9 2015, 08:47 PM
Spaz
Posted: May 10 2015, 04:24 PM

Group Icon

That thing'll be so light you won't need 700 unless you plan to go to TX2K every year.

7 Pages  « 3 4 5 6 7