Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) David Dima - Bad Love

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

8 Pages  « 3 4 5 6 7 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 30,115  ·  Replies: 182 
> The Motorbike Discussion Thread!
MattW
Posted: Apr 10 2010, 04:34 AM

VOLVO For Life.

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 23,273

QUOTE (Twizted @ 4 hours, 33 minutes ago)
If you are not equipped you will surely die, yes.

But if you are fully-equipped, you would likely still be hospitalized, but at least with a chance of survival.

If you're into professional motorcycle racing -- sometimes you accidentally crash (like tremendous impact to the wall at high speeds and etc) and many times you come out alive. Of course you still sustain a degree of injury from the impacts and may have to be hospitalized, but then it does not really get to the point of death except on very rare occasions.

The added layer of protection provided by the safety gears really makes that extra difference.

A sand trap + air wall is a hell of a lot softer than anything you're going to hit on the streets.
Twizted
Posted: Apr 10 2010, 05:01 AM

The Politix of Racing™

Member No.: 33,744

QUOTE (MattW @ 27 minutes, 18 seconds ago)
A sand trap + air wall is a hell of a lot softer than anything you're going to hit on the streets.

Uhu...

Then why the hell do riders still wear helmets when they ride on the streets if they believed that stuffs like helmet would not be able to protect them in the event of a street accident??

The truth is, it does offer protection even from the type of dangers the streets offer.
I've been through street accidents before.

Are you saying that safety gears does not and cannot protect people from street crashes???
Möbius
Posted: Apr 10 2010, 05:31 AM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (MattW @ 5 hours, 42 minutes ago)
If you're having a crash with "tremendous impact" on a bike, chances are you're not coming out of it alive.

Tremendous impact in a head injury would be anything higher than 10 mph impact speed?

I don't see anything wrong with what Twizted has posted. Gear first, bike second.

@Alex : Hmmm, something to consider, thanks for the insight.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
MattW
Posted: Apr 10 2010, 09:24 AM

VOLVO For Life.

QUOTE (Twizted @ 4 hours, 22 minutes ago)
Uhu...

Then why the hell do riders still wear helmets when they ride on the streets if they believed that stuffs like helmet would not be able to protect them in the event of a street accident??

The truth is, it does offer protection even from the type of dangers the streets offer.
I've been through street accidents before.

Are you saying that safety gears does not and cannot protect people from street crashes???

Tremendous impact to me sounds like a 60+ mph crash into something almost stationary.

Yes helmets are safe, as is all the safety equipment, but there is a reason most bikers are labeled as "organ donors" in the hospitals.
Möbius
Posted: Apr 10 2010, 11:47 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (MattW @ 2 hours, 23 minutes ago)
Tremendous impact to me sounds like a 60+ mph crash into something almost stationary.

Yes helmets are safe, as is all the safety equipment, but there is a reason most bikers are labeled as "organ donors" in the hospitals.

And that's your argument against wearing safety equipment?

If it's not, what is it? confused2.gif
Twizted
Posted: Apr 10 2010, 05:58 PM

The Politix of Racing™

Member No.: 33,744

QUOTE (MattW @ 8 hours, 33 minutes ago)

Well that is why I said earlier that you'd have to buy DOT and SNELL certified gears.

Before a safety gear, such as the helmet for example, goes to the consumer end, it is put to test (rigorous road and street crash testing that is).
And if it passed, it gets the DOT and/or SNELL certificate.

So in buying, if you see the DOT and/or SNELL logo on it, it means that particular gear has passed crash tests for the streets.
MattW
Posted: Apr 10 2010, 08:36 PM

VOLVO For Life.

QUOTE (Twizted @ 2 hours, 38 minutes ago)
Well that is why I said earlier that you'd have to buy DOT and SNELL certified gears.

Before a safety gear, such as the helmet for example, goes to the consumer end, it is put to test (rigorous road and street crash testing that is).
And if it passed, it gets the DOT and/or SNELL certificate.

So in buying, if you see the DOT and/or SNELL logo on it, it means that particular gear has passed crash tests for the streets.

Go get your DOT or SNELL helmet, slam your head into a wall at 100mph, and tell me how it works out for ya.
Möbius
Posted: Apr 11 2010, 12:09 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (MattW @ 3 hours, 33 minutes ago)
Go get your DOT or SNELL helmet, slam your head into a wall at 100mph, and tell me how it works out for ya.

Are you saying that since it is a given you will have to slam your head into a wall at 100mph as soon as you get a bike, one shouldn't bother to buy a helmet?

Because that what it sounds like...
MattW
Posted: Apr 11 2010, 08:07 AM

VOLVO For Life.

QUOTE (Apex Carver @ 7 hours, 57 minutes ago)
Are you saying that since it is a given you will have to slam your head into a wall at 100mph as soon as you get a bike, one shouldn't bother to buy a helmet?

Because that what it sounds like...

Not at all. I'm just saying that he's making it sound like if you wear all the safety gear, you'll be immortal, when that's not the case at all.
Möbius
Posted: Apr 11 2010, 08:11 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (MattW @ 3 minutes, 56 seconds ago)
Not at all. I'm just saying that he's making it sound like if you wear all the safety gear, you'll be immortal, when that's not the case at all.

I don't think he said that.
mdb
Posted: Apr 12 2010, 08:51 AM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,520

I don't think he meant you can head on a wall at triple digits and live...

It DOES make a big difference though. Back when I raced there were a couple horrible crashes, a particular one with the rider airborn at triple digits into a chain link fence who lost limbs, but still lived. About the same time in one of the forums a guys friend died on his R1 at about 20 mph hitting a tree branch (no helmet) and went head first into the ground. In my hometown somebody actually checked out while not even in motion, just fell over (no helmet) and hit the curb.

Your body can take a rather awful pummeling and still function, your brain on the other hand...
takumi-kun
Posted: Jun 6 2010, 08:15 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 22,640

heres my bike

user posted image
Alex
Posted: Jun 6 2010, 08:57 PM

OG Member

Member No.: 111

QUOTE (takumi-kun @ 41 minutes, 24 seconds ago)
heres my bike

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad107/d...31/IMG00219.jpg

Thank god you bought a Kawasaki that wasn't Kawa green. My dad's Ninja is red too, but about 10 years older.
I'm assuming it's a 600?

This post has been edited by Alex on Jun 6 2010, 08:58 PM
Möbius
Posted: Jun 7 2010, 03:23 PM

IDW Top Poster

I don't know man, if I would get a Kawi, it could only be 2 colours, black or Kawi green. cool.gif
takumi-kun
Posted: Jun 7 2010, 04:29 PM

IDW Expert Member

actually no its not a 600 its a 250. I actually was parked next to a ren ninja zx14 today it was a suprise to see another red bike let alone a kawi around here (fayetteville)
Möbius
Posted: Jun 7 2010, 04:44 PM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (takumi-kun @ 15 minutes, 19 seconds ago)
actually no its not a 600 its a 250. I actually was parked next to a ren ninja zx14 today it was a suprise to see another red bike let alone a kawi around here (fayetteville)

That's the newest model 250, isn't it?
takumi-kun
Posted: Jun 7 2010, 08:14 PM

IDW Expert Member

yea 2010 model when i sell this im prolly gonna get a 600cc bike
Möbius
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 12:55 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (takumi-kun @ 4 hours, 41 minutes ago)
yea 2010 model when i sell this im prolly gonna get a 600cc bike

The good thing about the Kawi 250's is that you can sell them for close to what you got them for. smile.gif

Good idea starting with a 250, instead of a 600, too. smile.gif
Alex
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 08:35 AM

OG Member

Member No.: 111

The current 250s sure look a lot fuller. I'm in the hunt for a 500. It's still perfectly suitable for a first bike with room to grow in to. A lot of people outgrow the 250 pretty quickly. How long have you been riding, t-k?
takumi-kun
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 12:22 PM

IDW Expert Member

I used to ride dirtbikes, did that for about 3 years. Then didn't ride anything for 2 years. I've had this bike for about a month. Its a great beginner bike if you have no riding experience but if you have experience I recommend getting a biggerr bike but not like a 1300cc cuz you'll prolly die.
Möbius
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 04:15 PM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Alex @ 7 hours, 39 minutes ago)
The current 250s sure look a lot fuller. I'm in the hunt for a 500. It's still perfectly suitable for a first bike with room to grow in to. A lot of people outgrow the 250 pretty quickly. How long have you been riding, t-k?

I see people all the time with 600's who have no clue... Except to go fast in a straight line.
takumi-kun
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 04:28 PM

IDW Expert Member

I know exactly what you are saying Apex
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 04:58 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

I've toyed around with the idea of buying a bike since it's not hard to find good deals... though I'm not particularly thrilled with the insurance rates hahaha tongue.gif
Möbius
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 05:11 PM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ 13 minutes, 3 seconds ago)
I've toyed around with the idea of buying a bike since it's not hard to find good deals... though I'm not particularly thrilled with the insurance rates hahaha tongue.gif

They're pretty cheap if you tack onto an existing car insurance and are 25+. Might get away with sub-100 a month.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 05:19 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

QUOTE (Apex Carver @ 7 minutes, 36 seconds ago)
They're pretty cheap if you tack onto an existing car insurance and are 25+. Might get away with sub-100 a month.

Well, there are a lot of other variables... but if you get a sport bike, the insurance is going to suck unless you're getting liability coverage only. I insured a kid who had a DUI but was going liability only for $750 per year.

8 Pages  « 3 4 5 6 7 »