Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 2 unique listeners, playing Move - See You My Best Love

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

447 Pages  « 331 332 333 334 335 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 537,452  ·  Replies: 11,163 
> Random Thoughts
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 4 2017, 03:02 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Am back to 100% on my end, so that's pretty great. What'd be absolutely amazing is if I also ended up with antibodies to fight off getting infected again for a while.

Anyway, I have to head back to NorCal by the end of the week. I wasn't planning on being down here all that long this trip, and I've got stuff I have to take care of back up there. I'm not done moving after all. Oh, and fuck the CA DMV. I tried to get the title for the Mazda and they told me I had to provide a smog certificate. When I said I wanted the title, not the registration, they said it was the same either way. Okay, so register it non-op. Well you can't do that apparently because I missed some arbitrary deadline, so now I have to wait for my non-existent registration to expire in April in order to do that...and of course, at that point, pay yet another fee on top of the one I already paid back when I bought the damn thing.

At this point, I kind of want to just drive it off a cliff. laugh2.gif I'll figure something out though. I've got an idea about how I can get around CA's retarded bullshit.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Spaz
Posted: Jan 4 2017, 08:09 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

After I made that last post my fever came back a bit, so I pulled out all the stops, layered up like crazy, and went for the sweat-out round 2. Fine again in the AM. Sore throat came back a bit last night and I went for ibuprofen but never had a fever so I'm calling it over with finally.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
xiao
Posted: Jan 4 2017, 11:20 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

I find it ironic how people fanboy over Mac's & Windows computers, but at the end of the day what computer you own doesn't mean jack if you don't know your shit.

Take the upcoming "Kingdom Hearts 3" game by Squaresoft for example. It's a J-company so all the programming & artwork is being done on Windows PC's, but all the music, voice acting, & sound FX is all being done on those trashcan Mac's. And to top it all off what's his face drunk videogame director probably did all the game design & planning on an Android phablet w/o ever touching an actual computer.

Sooo at the end of the day the winners are actually Sony-Squeenix cause all the money's going to them. While we're arguing over what's the superior device, when it ultimately doesn't matter because a true artist can work his/her magic on a Tiger Electronics handheld thingy from Toy's R Us if that's what [Tony Taka/Harry-Gregson/Uematsu/YokoKano/Kojima/Igarashi/Itagaki/Skrillex/Mother Teresa RIP/etc] wanted to use to create their art.

So it's more important to go to school and/or get an internship at Square/Sega/etc than it is to give a Jesus-titty-fuck about what type of computer you're using... :V

#epiphanous_moments_in_the_shower_by_xiao

#captain_late_to_the_party

#captainobvious

user posted image user posted image user posted image
APX
Posted: Jan 5 2017, 12:43 AM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

No idea who the director is, last I heard it was the person who did the lasted FF or something.

But i'm out of the gaming lingo when it comes to that.

Not even sure if i'll get Kingdom Hearts when it drops, been delayed for so long. sad.gif

Kinda feels like duke nukem.
xiao
Posted: Jan 5 2017, 02:12 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (APX @ 1 hour, 21 minutes ago)
Not even sure if i'll get Kingdom Hearts when it drops, been delayed for so long. sad.gif

Everyone's lost hope on the Kingdom Hearts 3 game by this point, and Platinum Games is gonna blow it outta the water with it's 2Butt-girl Goth Final Fantasy MGS Rising killer-app people wanted FFXV to be. But the graphics in KH3 look super-antiquated by 2017 standards ~ so I think it's gonna take some major overhauling to have it compete with other games this year. To be quite honest, I think it'll end up being released sometime around Valentine's 2019. In the meantime ~ God bless Platinum/Square (and pixiv... shifty2.gif)

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=UQMRz0vAfE0 )
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 5 2017, 08:13 AM

ShiMACHaze

Why does it matter even remotely what system you do portions of development on? All that matters is what code base you are programming for and that you have a finished product that works on the intended platform(s). I could write a program that only runs on Windows using my iPhone, doesn't mean a damn thing in the end.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
xiao
Posted: Jan 5 2017, 10:51 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 2 hours, 26 minutes ago)
Why does it matter even remotely what system you do portions of development on? All that matters is what code base you are programming for and that you have a finished product that works on the intended platform(s). I could write a program that only runs on Windows using my iPhone, doesn't mean a damn thing in the end.

I just find it weird that professional-industry people fanboy over Apple and/or Windows. Especially cause here in America [concerning video games, animation, and movies] most artwork & sound is done on Mac's while the planning & programming's done on Windows. While in Japan, only audio/music is done on Mac's & graphics, programming, and planning is all done on Windows machines. Concerning animation, video game, and movie studios.

Here in the West you ask somebody what do you recommend for someone studying animation/graphics & music... they'll flat-out tell you a Mac is the easiest to work with and you'll end-up becoming the next Swedish House Mafia if you buy a Mac. But for programming it's a no-brainer that Windows is the best machine.

But in Japan & Korea, you ask someone what's their recommendation for someone studying A/V... and they'll all say Windows. While a couple might say Mac's for music production & sound design.

I just found it ironic watching all these developers/artists give their 2 cents on YT regarding what machine's the ideal solution ... when they should've been saying that what's important is what you learn in school/apprentice-internship, instead of Nintendo vs. Sega - Mac vs. PC edition. :9
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 5 2017, 11:13 AM

ShiMACHaze

{citation fucking needed}

Seriously, dude. Citation fucking needed.
xiao
Posted: Jan 5 2017, 12:02 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 49 minutes, 21 seconds ago)
{citation fucking needed}

Seriously, dude. Citation fucking needed.

I need to start liking all the 600 videos I watched last night... laugh.gif derp.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 5 2017, 12:33 PM

ShiMACHaze

As an anecdote, take Pixar. The majority of their development is done on Macs. However, there's a very good reason for this, and it's because their render farms all run on UNIX mainframes (from HP, last I checked), and a lot of the guys there actually had a hand in developing BSD Unix. Why does that matter? Because Mac OSX is actually based on BSD Unix. So there's a lot of really easy compatibility there without even getting into all the artistic development tools already available on the platform (since Pixar likely has a plethora of proprietary in-house dev software).

Does that mean Macs are better? No. It means Macs are better for Pixar.

So, Xiao, if you're gonna make sweeping claims about entire geographic areas...you're gonna need a hell of a lot of citations to back up those claims.
xiao
  Posted: Jan 5 2017, 01:18 PM

moon bunny

I'm almost positive Square & all the major J-video game companies do everything on Windows PC's aside from the sound design ~ which may or may not be done on Mac's.

Don't get me wrong I bloody love both operating systems, money's always the limiting factor tho' orz

I was hoping to incite Sensation! into chiming in since he's a media professional & I'm super interested in how American media companies work in the same way Japanese & Korean ones superficially run their operations.

No source brother ~ c'mon this is xiao. I pull all my opinions outta my wonky memory & 1993 GameFan magazines. tongue.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 5 2017, 02:06 PM

ShiMACHaze

Having opinions is fine. Claiming your opinions as fact without proper citations to back them up is not.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
APX
Posted: Jan 5 2017, 03:32 PM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

God does not exist.

Fact.
Tessou
  Posted: Jan 5 2017, 04:41 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Prove it.
Sensation!
Posted: Jan 5 2017, 05:08 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

There was a point in time long long ago where Mac's and OSX was the preferred setup for things like audio production.
Think it had something to do with superior software compatibility with external hardware, which something to do with better and more uniform plug and play utilization. I believe it.
Whereas windows had to deal with a bunch of ASIO stuff.

On the graphics side, both windows and mac machines have been used professionally. To really understand why Macs are the chosen platforms for Photoshop, you'd have to understand computer history.

In summary, there was nothing quite like a workstation type machine during the mid 80's-to-early 90's as versatile as the mac. If you were getting into computers during that era, you bet your chips on Apple; IBM and DOS was for backward thinking turbo nerds, Amiga was for both the poor and the pleb, and anything else was very expensive and specialized.

Hollywood was pretty quick and keen to adapt Apple machines. In fact, the original Photoshop was co-developed by an Industrial Light and Magic employee for Macintosh.

The proliferation of Apple machines in professional graphics is simply because there wasn't a serious alternative to it until Windows 3.1. Fast forward to 2005, the people who are then in charge of teaching Photoshop professionally have had over 20 years of experience on an Apple machine.

So, its 2017 now. What's this about Macs vs Windows in the professional media space?
Anyone who says one or the other is in FACT better than the other and you MUST use one or the other because of it deserves duct tape over their mouths.

It all comes down to preference. I prefer windows, my boss is from asia and prefers mac. I worked on windows, my boss worked on OSX. We were both able to crank out work and work together.

I know people who build websites on windows, I know people who build websites on OSX. I know guys who edit videos on windows, I know people ho edit videos on OSX. I know DJ's who make music in windows, I know DJ's who make music on OSX. I know sound producers who work in windows, I know sound producers who work on Mac. I know Hollywood companies that allow their employees to select between their OS of choice when offered a workstation, I know hollywood companies that will still prefer all their employees use know how to use OSX. I know artists who know how to use only windows, I know artists who know how to only use OSX, I know artists who can use both.

Its seriously personal or company preference in 2017. Its no different in 2017 for the rest of the world too. Professional windows machines can be easily more expensive than a comparable Mac, price isn't the determining factor between the two. Its all comes down to what the company or person needs and prefers.

Seriously, ignore anyone who says you MUST have OSX to make music or something.

As for why windows might be more prolific in Asia, its likely because their history of workstations in a professional environment differs from ours. Perhaps Apple didnt market to that region enough, my dad has loads of old IBM machines and a disdain for Apple. Additionally, by the time computer graphics and images started sweeping the industries in that region, Windows was likely the popular OS.
Japan is the big one since you'd assume they'd be quick to adopt since we perceived them (especially in the 90's) as some sort of techno-wizardry nation, but interestingly, there's a pattern of them being rather sluggish to adopt software. My 2cents in the theory anyway.

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Jan 5 2017, 05:34 PM
xiao
Posted: Jan 6 2017, 06:59 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Sensation! @ Yesterday, 7:08 PM)
Fast forward to 2005, the people who are then in charge of teaching Photoshop professionally have had over 20 years of experience on an Apple machine.

Seriously, ignore anyone who says you MUST have OSX to make music or something.

As for why windows might be more prolific in Asia, its likely because their history of workstations in a professional environment differs from ours.

Snipped the parts I was looking for~

Exactly! It's America & Asia's history with both platforms. Here in the US Pixar & Hollywood have been using Mac's for ages so that's why it's more common ground for an audio/visual professional to be more inclined towards Mac's. Whereas in Japan & Korea, the video game & animation industry took a more prominent role in media, and they've all been working on Windows machines since Bubblegum Crisis & the Sharp X68000 days.

As for audio production, you couldn't be more on the mark. I know Skrillex prefers composing on Ableton in Mac's and yet Martin Garrix likes FL on Windows machines. And Harry-Gregson works on ProTools on a Mac at his studio ~ while Kojima Productions used the same version of ProTools on Windows to lace the sound into games like Metal Gear etc.

Again I know I'm being #captainobvious here, but it was an epiphany I suddenly had in the shower while I was masturb#ting thinking of Gain from BEG ... and we all know that everything sounds exciting when you're waxing the Johnson Space Center in the zero-G pool ~ sorcerer.gif

QUOTE (APX @ Yesterday, 5:32 PM)
God does not exist.

Fact.

EL DIABLO!!! user posted image
Master0fMadness
Posted: Jan 6 2017, 10:12 AM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

Group: PONY FANATIC
Member No.: 46,279

I'm pretty happy with my MacBook Pro. The touch bar is neat.
xiao
Posted: Jan 6 2017, 10:28 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Master0fMadness @ 16 minutes, 24 seconds ago)

For people that have no schooling on anything remotely audio/video related like myself... Logic & Final Cut are a godsend. The cult community for support on 'em is beyond ace & friendly.

I hate FL+Ableton+ProTools+Cubase+Premiere+Vegas+etc tutorials with a bloody passion. It's like they're geniuses at the software and total inepts at teaching a 5 year old how to make a PB&J sandwich.

I like Mac's cause if you didn't go to school for A/V, support isn't as retarded as people on YT running Windows... Linux, for multimedia, I just wanna blow my head thinking about it. awesome.gif

This post has been edited by xiao on Jan 6 2017, 10:33 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 6 2017, 01:00 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Master0fMadness @ 2 hours, 48 minutes ago)
QUOTE (xiao)
I hate FL+Ableton+ProTools+Cubase+Premiere+Vegas+etc tutorials

There you go again, making sweeping generalizations... rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Jan 6 2017, 01:00 PM
Meteor
Posted: Jan 6 2017, 02:56 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

QUOTE (xiao)
I hate FL tutorials

Confirmed for not having seen anything from FrankJavCee. tongue.gif

Let me correct that.
YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYSvbZbiY8 )

This post has been edited by Meteor on Jan 6 2017, 03:02 PM
Nerubian
Posted: Jan 6 2017, 05:37 PM

Living in the woods when it's raining in the dark.

Member No.: 36,931

QUOTE (Meteor @ 2 hours, 41 minutes ago)
QUOTE (xiao)
I hate FL tutorials

Let me correct that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYSvbZbiY8

"Extroverted Dumb Music"

I like YouTube subtitles. awesome.gif
In this case, the meaning of EDM is totally true. tongue.gif

Good thing I hesitated to buy an i5 6600K. I was waiting for the price to drop because it dramatically increased since November and now the next generation is already out. Don't know if I should get a 7600T or 7600K, though.
Tessou
  Posted: Jan 6 2017, 06:06 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 5 hours, 6 minutes ago)
QUOTE (xiao)
I hate FL+Ableton+ProTools+Cubase+Premiere+Vegas+etc tutorials

There you go again, making sweeping generalizations... rolleyes.gif

As I have found out, sometimes Xiao doesn't know the good shit when it comes to these things. 'Tis better to point him in the right direction than stop him in his tracks.
kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 6 2017, 06:31 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

I'll admit I've had some frustrating experiences trying to find good guides and solutions for working in Ableton, but yeah, I wouldn't say they're all bad at all.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
xiao
Posted: Jan 6 2017, 07:24 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 6 hours, 6 minutes ago)
Well, I'm glad you're happy with it.There you go again, making sweeping generalizations... rolleyes.gif

Quiet youuu, I started Justin liking Bieber thanks to the only song of his you used to have on your iPhone feat. Usher & a really sick synthline! shifty2.gif for you I'd write a symphony~ do do do ♪ ♫

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 0 minutes ago)
As I have found out, sometimes Xiao doesn't know the good shit when it comes to these things. 'Tis better to point him in the right direction than stop him in his tracks.

xiao doesn't know the good shiz regarding anything that isn't Target underwear... and even still ~ I still haven't discovered the magic of Victoria's Secret! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Nerubian @ 1 hour, 29 minutes ago)
"Extroverted Dumb Music"

I'm only into Chris Brown x Justin Beebz doujins... but Dead Mouse x Ferry Corsten slash does the trick for me sometimes~ *looks @ Al-senpai* awesome.gif

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 36 minutes, 4 seconds ago)
I'll admit I've had some frustrating experiences trying to find good guides and solutions for working in Ableton, but yeah, I wouldn't say they're all bad at all.

I almost banged my head against my cat's trying to make a decent acappella demo track; all of the intricacies vocal processing in pop-songs require makes the original singer sound nothing like when you run-it thru a Lady GaGa filter~ crying2.gif

QUOTE (Meteor @ 4 hours, 10 minutes ago)

Let me correct that.

FOCKING BOOKMARKED!! w00t2.gif
Tessou
  Posted: Jan 6 2017, 09:53 PM

Group Icon

Timeline of the cold (or flu, or something) that I've been dealing with this week.

Monday: Sniffling, minor headache.
Tuesday: Headaches, sore throat, congestion, muscle weakness, severe diarrhea, difficulty sleeping.
Wednesday: 100.2F fever in the early morning, sore throat, congestion, sharp headache, muscle weakness, aches, difficulty sleeping, difficulty hearing (inner ear problem), 100.4F fever in the evening.
Thursday: Polarizing temp changes (too hot or too cold), sore throat, nose running like a faucet, sharp headaches, lethargy, difficulty hearing.
Friday: Woke up at 8am feeling "like total shit", took a hot shower and went back to sleep. Woke up at 3:30pm, regained ability to breathe properly, regained physical fitness, albeit with a sharp headache. Sore throat slowly disappeared over a few hours. It's 11:50pm now and I feel okay aside from the headache.

Remedies taken (in order of when I started taking them): Emergen-C, Excedrin, Advil, Alka Seltzer, Robitussin, Chloraseptic, Sucrets, Ricola, Fisherman's Friend, Nyquil. I ate a ton of soup and drank an insane amount of supplemented fruit juices and water. Great week. laugh.gif

447 Pages  « 331 332 333 334 335 »