Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing sad emotion

15 Pages  « 3 4 5 6 7 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 126,879  ·  Replies: 352 
> Lets talk about what FFs can do..., Leave the drift debate at the door.
AETRAN86
Posted: Sep 13 2004, 07:26 PM

Mr.TRAN

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 2,980

that thing is NIIICE i love black, mmmm I also like the stock shift knob it just feels perfect, IMO it might not be the same as your but i think your car would like nice with black Watanabe's with the silver polished lip, is that an 86 or 87? looks like an 86 to me.
sideways
Posted: Sep 13 2004, 07:32 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

Haha shes dirty, has about 6 dings to fill out (nothing bondo cant handle thankfully)- then shes getting a quick mako paint job (retouch black for now)

at minimum i need about 700 into her.

But i agree- the stock shiftknob does feel great, fits perfectly in my hand.
___

Ultimate goal is a pands scheme (slightly different from takumis) but a VERY light silver with black. Ive always liked the contrast long before i saw initial d.

Sadly i must admit ill probably be getting watanabes, and probably because of initial d. I have no taste in rims but i must admit they look nice on almost anything ive seen em on (check out the watanabe website- they got vans looking nice with these things on). But ya shes an 86

IF my "Dreams come true" shell have about 10-11 grand into her.. haha

Ahh.. gotta love my 5 bucks into my engine cool.gif (look below)

This post has been edited by sidewaysgts on Sep 13 2004, 07:35 PM
AETRAN86
Posted: Sep 16 2004, 05:47 PM

Mr.TRAN

hey man I love watanabes they look great, might i suggest the ones that have the polished silver lip.
sideways
Posted: Sep 16 2004, 06:22 PM

I like to keep things pretty plain- not to say they dont look nie (trust me they do) its just not my "Style" Ill get them as "plain" as i possible can. Probably a flat black, just border line "shine" to em (hard to decribe what i mean but i got it in my head)
Nd4SpdSe
Posted: Oct 12 2004, 03:36 PM

FF Enthusiast

Member No.: 2,422

Wow! I love this thread!

I'm a big FF fan too...i drive a Mazda Mx-3 GS, swapped in a Japanese version of the 2.5L v6 (found in Mazda 626, Mx-6, Millenia and Ford Probes) known as the KLZE, 200hp. The car has great handeling to begin with, but, of course, i want better. I caught onto Heal-Toe and left-Foot braking from Initial D, but these extra technique are great, too bad the Mx-3 is going away for the winter in a month, and the '90 626 i'll be using is just too old, too many kms (270'000) and doesn't have the power, but i can still snow drift smile.gif

I've always wanted to go against the grain and race an FF, come spring, when the suspension and tires are bought and on, I'm hoping to start
sideways
Posted: Oct 12 2004, 03:39 PM

FF can def hold their own in their class; good luck
But she looked 18 of..
Posted: Oct 12 2004, 04:04 PM

I put the F U in FUN

Member No.: 1,546

What is this thread about? blink.gif
sideways
Posted: Oct 12 2004, 04:31 PM

Title explains it all
But she looked 18 of..
Posted: Oct 12 2004, 04:39 PM

I put the F U in FUN

Member No.: 1,546

and yet the last page and a half of the posts in it are about rwd corolla's.
sideways
Posted: Oct 12 2004, 04:45 PM

... oops laugh.gif
RalliKai
Posted: Oct 14 2004, 04:49 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

I've recently started trying to drift my FF which is a Cavalier around corners and such, haven't had much success since I'm still a beginner at it but I can see why everyone likes the FRs for drifting cause its a real pain to keep my FF controlled enough to exit the slide correctly.
sideways
Posted: Oct 14 2004, 04:51 PM

FFs just dont suit the definitions to many drifters thats all. They can only do what many consider a lesser form of drifting, "ass draging". Even when done in an fr its looked down upon.
AETRAN86
Posted: Oct 19 2004, 09:34 AM

Mr.TRAN

yes it isn't really drifting IMO Rhys millen (I think hes the son of Rod millen, though I may have the names backwards) said the start some of the drifts at over 100+ mph, I'd like to see somone start a drift at that speed in an FF.
Rayp
  Posted: Oct 19 2004, 12:50 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 210

QUOTE (AETRAN86 @ Oct 19 2004, 09:34 AM)
yes it isn't really drifting IMO Rhys millen (I think hes the son of Rod millen, though I may have the names backwards) said the start some of the drifts at over 100+ mph, I'd like to see somone start a drift at that speed in an FF.

The funny thing is, an FF is very likely to oversteer badly at thoses speed. It's very hard to control though.
AETRAN86
Posted: Oct 19 2004, 12:58 PM

Mr.TRAN

thats what I meant too much oversteer, probably sending the car out of control. I have used the e-brake for years but I wouldnt be trying it at those speeds.
sideways
Posted: Oct 19 2004, 02:49 PM

i cant use the ebrake even if i wanted to sad.gif any drifting ive ever done has been done with gas brakes and steering only.

(my hand brake is broken/disconnected)
F22A6
Posted: Oct 19 2004, 05:35 PM

CB7 Runner

Member No.: 3,299

hey sidewaysgts didn't you say posts ago that you were gonna get your e-brake fixed
sideways
Posted: Oct 19 2004, 06:32 PM

I have a cable comming in early november to fix it
jetstopi
Posted: Jan 11 2005, 10:34 AM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,854

do automatic cars apply with any of this? i own a luxury car, handed down from my mom, a camry, and i've been trying to use the e-brake to try to slide the car. i don't know if it's doing any damage to the car or if there's anything i should know about... since i'm getting new rims and tires, i'm wearing the old tires out. it's pretty fun trying to get the car to turn sideways, and i'm doing as much as i can befrore i get the new tires with 18" rims.

This post has been edited by jetstopi on Jan 11 2005, 10:53 AM
sideways
Posted: Jan 11 2005, 05:45 PM

Beyond shifting techniques mosto f whatevers been said probably applies. as for the hand brake not sure how they work in an auto, in a manual you need to hold in the clutch to do it properly though
Rayp
  Posted: Jan 12 2005, 11:17 PM

IDW Prime Member

QUOTE (sidewaysgts @ Jan 11 2005, 05:45 PM)
Beyond shifting techniques mosto f whatevers been said probably applies. as for the hand brake not sure how they work in an auto, in a manual you need to hold in the clutch to do it properly though

Holding the clutch is for FR and AWD, in FF it doesn't matter. In fact, it work better if you keep the the throttle on.
sideways
Posted: Jan 13 2005, 01:41 AM

Har, thats true i wasnt even thinking about that, those wheels arent powered sweatingbullets.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 6 2005, 06:47 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (jetstopi @ Jan 11 2005, 10:34 AM)
do automatic cars apply with any of this? i own a luxury car, handed down from my mom, a camry, and i've been trying to use the e-brake to try to slide the car. i don't know if it's doing any damage to the car or if there's anything i should know about... since i'm getting new rims and tires, i'm wearing the old tires out. it's pretty fun trying to get the car to turn sideways, and i'm doing as much as i can befrore i get the new tires with 18" rims.

I've got myself a rare beast: 1990 Subaru Legacy L, FF, AT, no ABS. You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to fight mechanics and friends alike by repeating, "No, it's not an All-Wheel Drive!" Trying to charge me for replacing rear differential fluid... sure, if you can find a rear differential under there!

Aaaanyway, back on topic. My car also has an auto, but I've been using the gear selector (numbered gears) lately. I'm not sure how the Camry's AT works, but in mine, 2nd gear is the cornering gear. If you put it into a numbered gear instead of Drive, the transmission seems to lock up with the throttle more. That is, when I lift off of the throttle, there's insane weight transfer. When I downshift, the engine braking is immense. When I touch the pedal, the response is immediate. There are also a lot of neat tricks that my Subaru AT can do to play like a MT...

I've also played around in parking lots in the snow, with and without the e-brake. If you use the e-brake in an AT FF, you aren't damaging anything (except tires, if you're not on snow or gravel). I've done a lot of psuedo-drifts in my Subaru, and it's a hell of a lot of fun. I've even done pendulums without trying--my car's suspension is such that oversteer is easily controllable.

For techniques, I use the e-brake only on a few turns (and when in snowy parking lots), left-foot brake if I took a turn a wee bit too quickly, left-foot rev-match the AT's shifts (Legacy ATs are notorious for jerky shifts; I correct that), pendulum mostly on S-turns (though I have done it accidentally a few times while making correction turns), and I think that's about it.

All I can say is that I love my car to death, and it has yet to fail me. FFs can indeed rock even if they can't "drift" by definition. I maintain that plowing through turns and oversteering is fun all on its own.

(I'd post a picture or two, but I want to post recent ones, not old ones. I haven't made recent ones just yet, though, since my modifications aren't complete yet)
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Rayp
  Posted: Feb 9 2005, 01:15 AM

IDW Prime Member

Nomake Wan : Thats great ! It's fun once in a while to have someone who have genuine fun with an FF... Auto at that! No need to have a super car to enjoy it...
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 9 2005, 02:39 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Yep! Especially with the great touge course here. My only complaint is that it's relatively short and has only two hairpins... though they are one after another (The S-Turn I mentioned before). It even has a narrow bridge after a downhill section... it's where I test all of my car stuff. Plus there's a nice "End 40 MPH Speed Limit" sign with no other signs posted after it.

Anyway, I'm working on some modifications to my transmission as we speak. At present, if I rev to redline while in 1, 2 or 3 it upshifts no matter what gear I selected. Meaning that I can get it into third gear while first is selected... and when I lift off of the throttle, it downshifts straight to first. Incredible engine braking on that shift. But anyway, it makes these shifting decisions based on a transmission computer that interprets speed and RPMs. I'm designing a circuit that would make the computer think that it's running at a lower speed and RPM than it really is, thus making the shifts up to me. And since that won't work in Drive, I can turn the circuit on and off (there's even a switch on the shifter marked "Manual" that I can wire it to).

The bonus feature I get is that my car's engine computer would still prevent over-revving by cutting ignition... so afterfiring (that flame from the tailpipe like in Initial D) would be possible in my car. Great for scaring pedestrians at stoplights. XD

So yeah... I'm having a ton of fun with this car.

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Feb 9 2005, 02:40 PM
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project

15 Pages  « 3 4 5 6 7 »