Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 2 unique listeners, playing DJ Pikachu_Fragger's Total Control Geass CM1

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 9,914  ·  Replies: 55 
> [FANFIC] It's Never Too Late, Shameless plug
AE 86
Posted: Nov 17 2007, 10:57 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,696

What the .... I feel dizzy when just finish read 2 posts .... Getting dizzy now @@ . Anyway , nice story though , just give me more times to finish read everything rolleyes.gif
iluvryosuke
  Posted: Nov 18 2007, 02:05 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 4,706

Disclaimer: I don’t own Initial D. The original characters are mine.

~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

Kazuhiko smirked as he leaned against the still cooling hood of his white Supra, watching with reserved interest as his friend of six years paced agitatedly in front of him, completely ignoring the icy spray that whipped off the water of the bay and onto the coarse wood of the pier as the cold fall winds that the city was so famous for swept through the area.
“Jin, would you keep still? For god’s sake,” Kazuhiko complained, his voice laced with barely concealed amusement. “You’re making me dizzy.”
Jin glanced over at the slightly older man who had risen a few centimeters off the bodywork of his heavily tuned racer to pull out a packet of cigarettes and a lighter from the back pocket of his jeans and was now proceeding to light it and take a long, heavy drag out of its length. With a troubled sigh, he stopped his pacing and moved to sit beside Kazuhiko, wrinkling his nose a little as the smell of nicotine drifted past him.
“I can’t believe you still smoke those things, Kazu,” he commented. “Did no one else tell you they’re bad for your health?”
Kazuhiko shrugged carelessly, taking another long drag as he turned to face Jin properly. “Plenty of times, my friend. Now tell me what’s bothering you.”
“I’d say it’s pretty obvious, Kazu.”
“You mean Miharu-chan? What are you stressing about her so much for? Wait, you said something about her being your little sister’s roommate?”
“Yeah, they both attend the boarding school I graduated from.”
“You know, in all the years I’ve known you I don’t think I ever once met your little sister,” mused Kazuhiko.
Jin gave Kazuhiko a puzzled look. “What are you talking about? She helped me move my stuff to our dorm room in MIT. You must have seen her then.”
“Wait, you mean that mousy girl with braces and all?”
“She doesn’t look like that now, though. Hang on, I have a picture in my wallet,” said Jin as he fished his wallet out of his pocket and handed it over to Kazuhiko. All of a sudden, Kazuhiko bursts out laughing.
“Now I remember,” said Kazuhiko, passing the wallet back to Jin. “She was with Miharu that one time to get some parts from me. Chase made a pass at her and she blew him off bad. I should’ve recognized that Basset trademark blonde hair and green eyes. She’s changed a lot over the years.”
Jin’s eyes narrowed. “Chase made a pass at my sister?”
Kazuhiko waved off Jin’s question. “Like I said, she blew him off. OK, so back to Miharu. You‘ve only just met her, right? Why is it such a big deal she races?”
“Hang on. You said Chieko went with Miharu to get parts from you? Crap, so my sister knows about all this?”
“I’d think so. Now answer my question.”
Jin had been expecting that question and, truth be told, he himself had been trying to find out why it was he was so bothered by what he had witnessed. Perhaps he was pissed because this was probably another one of his sister’s Let’s-Get-Jin-A-New-Girlfriend schemes. Or it could just be because he was embarrassed by the fact that he’d been teaching her how to drive this morning when in reality she could be teaching him a thing or two.
Or maybe it’s because he was horribly attracted to Miharu and he hated to think she lied to him.
He violently shook his head, forcing that particular notion away. Don’t even try it, Jin, he thought. He decided to go with the first reason he came up with and said aloud, “I think this is one of Chieko’s stupid ploys to get me to date one of her friends.”
“There’s nothing wrong with that, is there?”
“There’s plenty wrong with it! I mean, they’re too…young!”
Kazuhiko cast a shrewd glance at his friend’s face. “Jin, you’re only 21. Besides, that sounded more like a Chieko reason rather than a Miharu one. Are you sure that’s it?”
Jin groaned and gestured wildly with his hands. “I dunno, you tell me. I’m as stumped as you are. I mean, what is up with her? This morning I was giving her driving lessons because I was under the impression that she and my sister were failing driver’s ed. Now I find out she’s one of the best drivers in New York’s underground racing scene.”
Kazuhiko let out a sharp bark of laughter at that. “You were teaching her how to drive? Dear god, man. This is Miharu we’re talking about, right?”
“Great, rub it in, why don’t you,” muttered Jin.
“I’m not, OK? It’s actually understandable that you wouldn’t know much about her since she pretty much keeps to herself.”
“Well, Chieko started mentioning her to me a few weeks back but it’s nothing really detailed.”
“Miharu’s been driving since she was 12. And not just any old driving, mind you. We’re talking drift practice on Japan’s mountain passes.”
“Are you kidding me, Kazu? You know as well as I do that in Japan, you have to be 18 for you to even think about a driver’s license. How can she be driving since she was 12? How did she even get past her parents? The police would be all over her,” said Jin incredulously.
“Not if she drove at three or four in the morning. Miharu has this crazy uncle who owns a tofu shop in the Gunma area. Every morning, Miharu had to deliver a load of tofu at this hotel up one of the mountains there, I forgot which. Apparently, driving with tofu is harder than it sounds because if you make one wrong move, the tofu breaks apart and she’s dead meat. And strangely enough, her mom supported her night-time driving and even let Miharu use her car,” explained Kazuhiko.
“Unbelievable. Now I feel like such an idiot,” grumbled Jin.
“Nah, you shouldn’t feel that way. With Miharu, there’s always a reasonable explanation for things. Well, not unless it really is a plot by your sister, then, that’s different. Still, I can’t really picture Miharu going along with something like that,” Kazuhiko said thoughtfully.
“Whatever the reason, I’d like to hear it from both of them. I just don’t want to think they lied to me.”
“Oh, come on, man. At most, it’s just a couple of young girls having some fun. Maybe you should even feel flattered. If it is a plan to get you to go out with Miharu, that means she’s got a crush on you, right? You have to admit, she is pretty hot.”
A strangled sound escaped from Jin’s throat. The possibility hadn’t crossed his mind and he was suddenly thankful for the dim lights the nearby lamps provided because they hid the slight blush that came to his cheeks. Kazuhiko, misinterpreting the sound as one of horror, started laughing at his expense.
Just then, something about what Kazuhiko said sank in. Jin looked warily at his friend and asked, “You think she’s hot? Wait a second, you don’t have a thing for her, do you? Isn’t she a bit too young for you?”
Kazuhiko’s mirth came to an abrupt halt as he gaped at Jin. “What do you think I am, geriatric? I’m only 24 years old, Jin. I don’t think that’s too big of an age gap.”
A feeling of something akin to jealousy crept slowly inside Jin. “That’s eight years, Kazu. I think that’s a huge gap.”
Kazuhiko stared at Jin pensively and noted the vein ticking slightly near his friend’s temple. He bit back another wave of laughter threatening to overcome him. “I can’t believe it. You like her, don’t you?”
“Don’t even go there, Kazu,” choked out Jin.
“Yup, you do. Anyway, you don’t have to worry about a thing. Miharu and I are just friends. But that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate how hot she is.”
“Kazuhiko!” sputtered Jin.
“I’m just saying! And I know you. I can tell that’s not really the reason why you’re so ticked off. Besides, you already have a girlfriend, don’t you? How’s Stacy doing?”
Jin’s expression darkened. “Don’t bring Stacy up again.”
Kazuhiko raised an eyebrow, taking a final drag off his cigarette before flicking it away. “And the plot thickens. Try again, buddy. You know that’s not gonna work with me.”
Jin gave Kazuhiko a deep frown. Finally, he expelled his breath in defeat and ran his hand through his hair. “What is there to tell? Stacy and I broke up about a year ago. It’s ancient history.”
“What? A year? Jin, I know we haven’t talked in a while but this is just… what happened? You guys were so in love! I thought you were going to get married and have lots of blonde haired little brats!”
“Oh, she’s having some blonde haired little brats, all right. Problem is, they’re not mine,” replied Jin wryly.
“You mean to tell me…”
“She was cheating on me, Kazu. We were together for two years and she was cheating on me for one and a half of those years. I found out she was pregnant about a year ago and I can assure you it’s not mine.”
“How’d you know that without taking a paternity test?”
“Because I’m a genius,” joked Jin.
“Come on, Jin,” berated Kazuhiko.
“Ah, damn, Kazu. Think about it. She was only 15 when we got together. I think they call that statutory rape. And heck, I was only 17 then. Call me a prude but I wasn’t about to have sex with her until we were both of legal age. I just didn’t know she was doing it with every other guy out there.”
“Well that’s just f**ked up. Why’d she go and do something like that? Everyone could see that you really loved her,” said Kazuhiko angrily.
Jin had to smile at Kazuhiko’s loyalty. “What makes you think it wasn’t my fault, man? I loved her, yes, but I completely neglected her. I was already a college freshman when I was 17 and I was all the way in Massachusetts. She had to remain here in New York and we only ever saw each other during breaks and holidays. We talked on the phone a lot but that’s about it. She needed someone who could really be there for her and I wasn’t able to do that.”
“Don’t you go defending her to me, Jin. Whatever the circumstances were, what she did was wrong. She could have just told you straight away that a long distance relationship wouldn’t work. And if she really did love you as much as you loved her, she would have made it work.”
“Maybe so but I don’t want to place all the blame on her. And it’s not like she isn’t suffering for her mistake. The last I heard was that the father didn’t want to take responsibility for her pregnancy. I feel kinda sorry for her,” confided Jin.
“I don’t,” said Kazuhiko blithely. “I’m sorry, but she had it coming.”
“Hell, I’d be lying if I told you I didn’t feel a bit vindicated but like I said, it’s ancient history. Just forget about it.”
“Now I get why you’re so into this whole Miharu thing. You think she lied to you, don’t you?”
“Well, didn’t she?”
“Yeah, I guess so. But look, don’t hold it against her, OK? Like I said, I’m sure there’s an explanation for all this.”
“I’ll wait to hear that.”
“And about Stacy, forget about her. There are plenty of other girls out there and I’m sure you’ll find the right one for you someday.”
“Oh, no. I’ve learned my lesson. I’m not falling in love like that again. More likely than not she’ll end up screwing me over and I don’t want to have to experience something like that ever again.”
“Hey,” admonished Kazuhiko, “you’re still young. You’ll meet someone else, one who’ll love you just as much as you love her. And I want you to promise me that when you find her, you’ll never let her go.”
“That’s too idealistic, even for you,” chuckled Jin.
“What can I say? Beneath the rough exterior lies the heart of a hopeless romantic. Moving along to other things, tell me why you’re here in New York. If it isn’t Stacy, then what’s up?”
“Actually, I came here to convince you to come back with me to Germany.”
“So it’s work then? What could you possibly need my help for? You’re the whiz kid,” said Kazuhiko with a laugh.
“Kazu, we both know that had you bothered to finish college, you’d have my job right now,” pointed out Jin.
“Ah, but we also both know that isn’t the kind of life I want to lead.”
“That’s the thing that has always puzzled me about you, man. You could be earning loads of money or working for a professional team but you chose to just leave it all behind.”
Kazuhiko grinned. “What makes you think I don’t earn loads of money right now? I get by just fine doing what I do. I never regretted leaving MIT when I did. My dream had always been to be out here, just driving and racing. Know what I mean?”
Jin slowly shook his head. “I think that’s my problem. I don’t know what you mean. I don’t understand the passion you have for racing.”
Kazuhiko was quiet for a moment, thinking of a way to resolve Jin’s dilemma. “How do you feel about tweaking engines?” he finally asked.
“I can’t imagine doing anything else,” was Jin’s quick reply.
“There you go. See, you do understand the feeling just that yours is directed towards the science behind the whole thing.”
“I suppose,” said Jin.
“Anyway you still haven’t answered my question. What do you need me for?”
“I need your help in finishing the differential I developed for Prodrive and Subaru, Kazu. My deadline’s in less than a year and if I don’t complete it by that time, I might as well kiss my job goodbye.”
“What exactly is it you want me to do?”
“Take a look at what I have so far and tell me what you think of it. Tell me what I’m missing. Once we get a prototype out, I’d also like for you to be the one to test it. I trust your driving and I know you’re the only one who can help me with this,” implored Jin.
“I don’t know about that, Jin. I’m sure there are drivers in Germany who are more suited for that than I’ll ever be,” said Kazuhiko doubtfully.
“Bull, Kazu. I think the reason why I can’t come out with anything that’s half useful is because of the drivers they keep giving me. All they do is complain and won’t trust what I make, which ends up with me getting into trouble. I need someone who’ll trust me and my differential setup, someone who can push it to its limit and not be afraid of trying something new.”
“It’s not that I don’t want to help you, man, but that’s going to take a lot of time and work. I’ve already made commitments with Todoh-san to help him with his EK9 project.”
Jin let out a sigh of frustration and he edgily ran a hand through his face. “Damn it. Can you suggest anyone else then? What about Miharu? You think that maybe…”
Kazuhiko hurriedly cut him off. “She won’t do it, Jin.”
“Why not?” persisted Jin. “You said it yourself: she’s one of the best drivers you’ve seen, and that’s no small feat coming from you.”
“Well, for one thing, she’s only in high school. She can’t just pack up and leave everything. Have you forgotten she’s your sister’s roommate? She’s only 16, man. And even if she could leave, I know she’d never do it. She and I are pretty similar in that we’re not into all that professional shit. She loves the streets almost as much as I do.”
Jin cursed under his breath. He stood up and started walking back and forth again. “What about Chase Williams, then?”
Again, Kazuhiko dissented. “He’s a good enough driver, but still lacks know-how. He wouldn’t be able to give you what you need. Plus, he doesn’t have much mechanical knowledge and relies on Miharu and me for that.”
Jin desperately racked his brain for any more drivers and listed each of them to Kazuhiko. Each time Jin came up with a name, Kazuhiko vetoed the idea, giving reasons ranging from unavailability to inexperience to just plain stupidity. Finally, Kazuhiko expelled his breath in a rush and held up his hand for Jin to cease his pacing.
“Stop it already. All right, I’ll go to Germany with you,” he said.
Jin sank beside Kazuhiko in relief. “Thanks, man.”
“But just until the winter’s over,” warned Kazuhiko. “Or until you get yourself a new driver or something. After that, I’m off to Japan to work on Todoh-san’s EK9.”
“I’m sure we’ll be finished by then,” said Jin confidently.
“We better be,” mumbled Kazuhiko. “Why is it that I can never refuse your requests?”
“Aww, I love you too, man,” guffawed Jin, putting his arm around Kazuhiko’s shoulders.
“Keep it up and I just might change my mind,” growled Kazuhiko.
“Yes, sir,” laughed Jin.

~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@~~{@

A/N: Yes, I know it took me more than a month and you can obviously tell I got really, REALLY stuck back there. But now it’s finally done and I hope you enjoyed it (you’d better, I had a hard time writing it, LOL). Huge thanks go to Miguel (who took the time to actually meet up with me despite his extremely busy schedule just to discuss ideas for this chapter), cricketchick1990 (for giving me the starting sentences, bless her soul, and for throwing around some ideas as well), and to Sanae (for beta reading and ideas). I never would have finished this chapter without your help, guys.
Thanks to those who reviewed particularly ichinanahachi, stargazer235 and s200drfiter. Thanks also to my loyal readers pnoytecknix, jpn6438, NanamiYatsumaki, j0cey, and SnoQueen. I hope I didn’t forget anyone but just in case I did, know that I thank you anyway! Until the next chapter!
Meteor
Posted: Nov 18 2007, 02:40 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 20,929

Nice update.

Looking forward to the next chapter.
tiQlado
Posted: Nov 23 2007, 05:33 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 24,504

Glad to see you're keeping this story alive. Ganbatte yo!!!
pnoytecknix
Posted: Nov 23 2007, 09:28 PM

IDW Special Member

Member No.: 17,159

+1 to ^that... great job!
i hope all is going well for you nieshka.
iluvryosuke
  Posted: Mar 8 2008, 07:22 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 4,706

it took a while but i finally put up another chapter. thanks to Meteor, tiQlado and pnoytecknix!

also, was feeling too lazy to post the actual chapter here so here's a link. thanks!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3415547/23/Its_Never_Too_Late

3 Pages  1 2 3