Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing (Battle Stage 2) Dave - Pride

Anime and Manga Forum Rules
• Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
• Use the Search function or read the Index of All Threads before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal or actual warning (if this rule is violated repeatedly).
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Discussion of yaoi/yuri is permitted, however, posting any sexual content and material is strictly prohibited and will result in an actual warning.
• Please use spoiler tags when addressing a spoiler. Violating this rule may earn you a verbal warning. Please read this thread for more information on how to use spoiler tags.
• Please ensure that when posting images that the images are at a reasonable resolution (i.e. 640 x 480 and below) or that you use a thumbnail to link to the original sized image.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

83 Pages  « 78 79 80 81 82 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 153,265  ·  Replies: 2,063 
> Gundam - UC/AU/CE, Gundam Discussion Thread
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 6 2015, 07:47 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Watched yes, bought no. If I recall correctly they removed Doan's Island from the domestic version just because they didn't have a dub track to use. Kinda sad.

They look spectacular though.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
BOZZ
Posted: Dec 6 2015, 08:14 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 27 minutes, 17 seconds ago)
Watched yes, bought no. If I recall correctly they removed Doan's Island from the domestic version just because they didn't have a dub track to use. Kinda sad.

They look spectacular though.

I know they removed it from the North American release of the DVDs but I guess I was under the mistaken impression it was restored on the Blu Ray rips.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 6 2015, 08:46 PM

ShiMACHaze

Negative. The US release of the blurays did not include Doan's Island.

EDIT: The rips that EG did have it because he used the JP blurays as source and spliced in the American dub after the fact (just like he and OCZ did with the 0083 remasters and plenty of other series).

EDIT 2: I see your confusion. I wasn't saying EG spliced a dub into Doan's Island, I was saying EG spliced the US dub into the JP BDs. Doan's Island is sub-only.

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Dec 15 2015, 08:23 AM
BOZZ
Posted: Dec 14 2015, 11:56 PM

Hmmm, so there is an English dub of the episode out there but I'm guessing it's not of a good enough quality to use in DVD/Blu Ray releases?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 15 2015, 08:23 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 8 hours, 26 minutes ago)
Hmmm, so there is an English dub of the episode out there but I'm guessing it's not of a good enough quality to use in DVD/Blu Ray releases?

I'm not aware of an English dub ever having been made of that episode, unless it was done by a non-US company unrelated to the original US broadcast.
BOZZ
Posted: Dec 16 2015, 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 12:23 PM)
I'm not aware of an English dub ever having been made of that episode, unless it was done by a non-US company unrelated to the original US broadcast.

I misunderstood your earlier post then when you mentioned that one group which spliced in American dubs (which you reflected in the edit to your post).
RalliKai
Posted: Dec 30 2015, 05:55 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

I haven't been keeping up with Gundam news so this popped up and surprised me.

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVAlkOHdNME )

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnDvAGBulSg )
Posted: Dec 30 2015, 06:54 AM

Hiretsuna rōjin

Member No.: 16,670

QUOTE (RalliKai @ 59 minutes, 15 seconds ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVAlkOHdNME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnDvAGBulSg

wow, neither have i. im still at ep 11 of gundam IBO. not to forget the other 9 series of other anime im trying to catch up with atm.

thanks for the heads up RalliKai.

no plot spoilers are hiding in the tag but it does animate some scenes behind and between the battles some previous Gundam series often skip over.
SPOILER

This post has been edited by 207 on Dec 30 2015, 07:19 AM
BOZZ
Posted: Dec 30 2015, 07:03 PM

QUOTE (RalliKai @ Today, 9:55 AM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVAlkOHdNME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnDvAGBulSg

Just added this to my list of stuff to watch. I'm surprised they're releasing it for free as a 4-episode series on places like YouTube, but hey, I'm not complaining. biggrin.gif
BOZZ
Posted: Apr 26 2016, 03:01 PM

So what do you guys think of Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt OVA?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 26 2016, 05:16 PM

ShiMACHaze

I thoroughly enjoyed Thunderbolt, I just felt it was too short.
Posted: May 23 2016, 03:36 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

what is the deal with new Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 series? i believe they are running a 12-13 eps for this series. is it just another retelling of the previous Gundam Unicorn series?
Tessou
Posted: May 23 2016, 04:15 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Received the US BluRays today. Review of quality pending.

There are lingering issues with the Zeta transfer, I'll tell you that right from the start.
BOZZ
Posted: May 23 2016, 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Tessou @ 36 minutes, 6 seconds ago)

There are lingering issues with the Zeta transfer, I'll tell you that right from the start.

They released Zeta on Blu Rays?
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 23 2016, 05:12 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (207 @ 1 hour, 26 minutes ago)
what is the deal with new Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 series? i believe they are running a 12-13  eps for this series. is it just another retelling of the previous Gundam Unicorn series?

Sunrise needed to fill a timeslot that they'd already committed to, so the broke up the OVA into TV-size chunks. Did you watch the OVA? Yes? Then don't bother with RE:0096.

QUOTE (Tessou @ 47 minutes, 4 seconds ago)

what is chroma? what is dnr? color correction is a thing? denoise all the grain!

Sunrise has been incredibly hit-or-miss with their BD transfers. Outlaw Star was fucking amazing, and then you have something like Victory that starts out decent then goes to shit, or something like 0083 that's just...bad. It's clear that if the original source needs help to make a good transfer, they aren't willing to put in the effort to do so...or try too hard and end up screwing the pooch.
Tessou
Posted: May 23 2016, 07:10 PM

Group Icon

The OP and ED are clean and basically perfect.

The regular episode footage is pretty much a direct transfer of the original print, which would be great if it wasn't marred with a shitload of grain and hair on the cels.

They carbon copied the subs from the v2 DVD sets (the version without the goddamn dubtitles). The dub is as stilted as ever. Can't complain about what I already knew from years ago. Menus are basic but follow the aesthetic of the case art, so it looks good. Not a lot of extras. Just clean OP and ED.

Honestly, the dvds look better when upscaled. I'm fine with the warts showing in a perfect transfer, though. In the end, this is a great archival copy that preserves Gundam without any plastic surgery. The shining star of the "OG" UC saga is beautiful even when you can see the imperfections.
Posted: May 23 2016, 07:34 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 2 hours, 22 minutes ago)
Sunrise needed to fill a timeslot that they'd already committed to, so the broke up the OVA into TV-size chunks. Did you watch the OVA? Yes? Then don't bother with RE:0096.

thank you very much Nomake Wan, i saw the OVA already and had a feeling the TV sized one likely was very similar after reading the synopsis. if the TV version has nothing new to offer then it doesn't concern me either. i was hoping they would've expanded on the story after where the OVA left them at but that wasn't the case.
BOZZ
Posted: May 23 2016, 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Tessou @ 2 hours, 30 minutes ago)
The OP and ED are clean and basically perfect.

The regular episode footage is pretty much a direct transfer of the original print, which would be great if it wasn't marred with a shitload of grain and hair on the cels.

They carbon copied the subs from the v2 DVD sets (the version without the goddamn dubtitles). The dub is as stilted as ever. Can't complain about what I already knew from years ago. Menus are basic but follow the aesthetic of the case art, so it looks good. Not a lot of extras. Just clean OP and ED.

Honestly, the dvds look better when upscaled. I'm fine with the warts showing in a perfect transfer, though. In the end, this is a great archival copy that preserves Gundam without any plastic surgery. The shining star of the "OG" UC saga is beautiful even when you can see the imperfections.

How are the subtitles from the v2 of the DVD Set/Blu Ray compared to the awful dubtitles?
Tessou
Posted: May 23 2016, 10:22 PM

Group Icon

Originally, Zeta was brought to the US in a huge one-off collector box set in 2008.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1600 x 904. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

The subtitles on those discs were a direct copy of the dub script, which isn't the same as the Japanese script. Some things were changed to suit lip flaps, which means a lot of "you know?" in places where it shouldn't be. Some lines were just entirely changed because why the hell not. Having this pop up all over the place on the "subtitles" was aggravating and Bandai thankfully changed the subs in the standard DVD releases that came in the following years, as well as the "Complete Collection I & II" DVD sets that I have.

EDIT: Update on Zeta Bluray... there is evidence of post-processing typical of a cleanup attempt in a few scenes here and there in almost every episode starting with 3. It's not covering entire episodes, but I noticed some scenes where it looked like they took a VHS copy and tried to upscale it, then it reverted back to print-perfect for the next scene. I haven't watched Original Gundam BR yet, but I've heard that there is no post-processing.

This post has been edited by Tessou on May 23 2016, 10:53 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 24 2016, 04:32 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Tessou @ 9 hours, 3 minutes ago)

Normally this preservation of grain is considered a good thing. Sadly due to reasons I can't find the proper in-depth analysis of the Zeta blurays from /m/'s trusted source, or I'd bother to put it up here. There was a fight a while back over two groups who encoded the bluray for computer use. One group was the 'purist' who did the analysis (and whose description has been lost to time), the other group was the one you'd probably like who tried to 'fix' the bluray by putting it through several filter chains to do DNR and color correction (famously, to make the space scenes black).

QUOTE (Tessou @ 5 hours, 51 minutes ago)
I haven't watched Original Gundam BR yet, but I've heard that there is no post-processing.

You heard wrong, brother.

QUOTE (Encodergasm)
I must say, this is a pretty damn sharp 16mm transfer. Technically, according to the booklet, it's a 35mm blow-up interpositive taken from the 16mm negative. It's kind of hard to believe how good it looks for a 1979 show. Now, onto the DNR. Sunrise saw fit to remove a lot of the grain that was present on the original master. The DVDs are probably grainier than the Blu-rays, but to be honest, the effect isn't too bad. It feels "dishonest" to me, but it's not scrubbed clean by any measure.

Tessou
Posted: May 24 2016, 09:40 AM

Group Icon

Eh, I can't complain too much. A cheaper release of the Gundam series' is better than nothing now that the old collections are out of print.
BOZZ
Posted: May 24 2016, 10:57 AM

QUOTE (Tessou @ Today, 2:22 AM)
Originally, Zeta was brought to the US in a huge one-off collector box set in 2008.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Tes...hb.jpg~original

The subtitles on those discs were a direct copy of the dub script, which isn't the same as the Japanese script. Some things were changed to suit lip flaps, which means a lot of "you know?" in places where it shouldn't be. Some lines were just entirely changed because why the hell not. Having this pop up all over the place on the "subtitles" was aggravating and Bandai thankfully changed the subs in the standard DVD releases that came in the following years, as well as the "Complete Collection I & II" DVD sets that I have.

EDIT: Update on Zeta Bluray... there is evidence of post-processing typical of a cleanup attempt in a few scenes here and there in almost every episode starting with 3. It's not covering entire episodes, but I noticed some scenes where it looked like they took a VHS copy and tried to upscale it, then it reverted back to print-perfect for the next scene. I haven't watched Original Gundam BR yet, but I've heard that there is no post-processing.

Yeah, I remember that set, I wanted to buy it at the time of it's release (Zeta is one of my Top 3 Gundam shows), but the dubtitles bugged me about it, made me think Bandai didn't really care so much about the quality of their product, seems that has changed a little bit with the Blu Rays and the second version of the Zeta DVDs.
Tessou
Posted: May 24 2016, 12:09 PM

Group Icon

To properly answer your question now that I read it correctly: the subs are accurate to the Japanese script.
Tessou
Posted: May 28 2016, 01:13 PM

Group Icon

Zipping through more of Zeta BR. There are more warts as it goes on.

There's a scene in Episode 5 where Kamille, Quattro, Reccoa and Emma are in a meeting room or lounge discussing what had just happened in battle (Kamille watched his dad float helplessly into the depths of space). The scene is notably very dark, and I don't mean just the mood of the scene. Visually, it's dark and tinted a light green for some reason. I thought this was an authoring error or something, but it's also present on my v2 DVD.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1233 x 895. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

The problem with this is that the Bluray remastering or preservation process does nothing for this scene. The dark corners in many shots are rife with artifacts and pixelation. This is also on the DVD, to a lesser degree since it's not direct from print.

This sort of shit is what I would say warrants a color correction. The rest of the episode framing this scene is vibrant and looks great, but this washed out shit stands out as a serious eyesore.
BOZZ
Posted: May 28 2016, 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Tessou @ 24 minutes, 35 seconds ago)
Zipping through more of Zeta BR. There are more warts as it goes on.

There's a scene in Episode 5 where Kamille, Quattro, Reccoa and Emma are in a meeting room or lounge discussing what had just happened in battle (Kamille watched his dad float helplessly into the depths of space). The scene is notably very dark, and I don't mean just the mood of the scene. Visually, it's dark and tinted a light green for some reason. I thought this was an authoring error or something, but it's also present on my v2 DVD.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Tes...q7.png~original

The problem with this is that the Bluray remastering or preservation process does nothing for this scene. The dark corners in many shots are rife with artifacts and pixelation. This is also on the DVD, to a lesser degree since it's not direct from print.

This sort of shit is what I would say warrants a color correction. The rest of the episode framing this scene is vibrant and looks great, but this washed out shit stands out as a serious eyesore.

Look on the bright side, at least it's not as jarring and as bad as watching the Zeta movies and seeing the switch between the old and new animation style.

83 Pages  « 78 79 80 81 82 »