Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 2 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Silent White

Anime and Manga Forum Rules
• Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
• Use the Search function or read the Index of All Threads before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal or actual warning (if this rule is violated repeatedly).
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Discussion of yaoi/yuri is permitted, however, posting any sexual content and material is strictly prohibited and will result in an actual warning.
• Please use spoiler tags when addressing a spoiler. Violating this rule may earn you a verbal warning. Please read this thread for more information on how to use spoiler tags.
• Please ensure that when posting images that the images are at a reasonable resolution (i.e. 640 x 480 and below) or that you use a thumbnail to link to the original sized image.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

5 Pages  1 2 3 4 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 34,728  ·  Replies: 101 
> Sub vs Dub: The Eternal Debate, Split from Random Thoughts
tsukikomi
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 03:08 PM

Falbury~<3
Group Icon

Group: TRAP CLUB
Member No.: 43,994

QUOTE (Tessou @ Today, 1:15 AM)
It's terrible compared to the one John De Lancie has had on shelves for a while. Whatsherface came off like she didn't give a crap about everything going on. John actually cares.

---
Also, more examples of 24" DUBS that sit better than janky Jappo in your faceholes:

- Hellsing Ultimate
- YuYu Hakusho
- Panty & Stocking
- Scryed
- Trigun
- Outlaw Star
- Cyber City Oedo
- Mongolian Chop Squad (except where they couldn't get rights to record "I've Got a Feeling")
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Tenchi
- Vandread

More opinions as time allows. Nobody wins but the argument is eternal.

All dubs suck, end of discussion.
APX
  Posted: Jan 26 2015, 04:07 PM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,473

And yet they don't, end of discussion. smile.gif
Seri
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 04:11 PM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

I really like NANA's dub, myself.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 04:27 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (tsukikomi @ Today, 12:29 AM)
Like lum but ten is such a douche bag.

Ten gets his just deserts a few times, thankfully, but it's hard to root for Ataru when he's such a fucking knob.

QUOTE (Tessou @ Today, 3:47 AM)
Go watch Bebop and then go soak your head. wink2.gif

Still no.

QUOTE (Tessou @ Today, 4:15 AM)
- Cyber City Oedo

Disagree with all of these but CCO in particular is probably the worst example you could have come up with next to a 4kids dub. It's amusing for its over-the-top quality but that's what makes it so bad as a dub. To its credit, the only kind of dub I'd watch is one like that, and purely ironically ("so bad it's good", etc.).

QUOTE (tsukikomi @ 56 minutes, 45 seconds ago)
All dubs suck, end of discussion.

Yes. There is literally no reason for any dub to exist.

This post has been edited by kyonpalm on Jan 26 2015, 04:28 PM
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
tsukikomi
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 04:38 PM

Falbury~<3
Group Icon

Group: TRAP CLUB
Member No.: 43,994

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 11 minutes, 15 seconds ago)

Ten gets his just deserts a few times, thankfully, but it's hard to root for Ataru when he's such a fucking knob.

Isn't it clear that he wants to be the next golden boy? derp.gif

I agree with statement fully.
Rudy
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 07:31 PM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
Falbere
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 07:32 PM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

Group: IDP Admin
Member No.: 43,254

QUOTE (Rudy @ 1 minute, 12 seconds ago)
If it weren't for dubs there wouldn't be nearly half as anime fans as there are today. I've encountered way more people who "don't want to read a television show" than those who watch subtitles.

That said, I usually way prefer subtitles. But dubs definitely have their place.

True that. Without the horrible chinese dubs I wouldn't get to know Initial D.
Rudy
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 07:34 PM

Unregistered

Falbere
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 07:39 PM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

Group: IDP Admin
Member No.: 43,254

QUOTE (Rudy @ 4 minutes, 49 seconds ago)
This is the part where I ponder if horrible Chinese dubs could be any worse than the "subtitled" DVD box set of Initial D I got ages ago... (long enough that Fourth Stage hadn't even aired yet) seriously Google Transcribe would have done a better job.

The dubs were horrible because the chinese voice actors didn't put any emotion to the tone.
I remember god foot saying "hiya." calmly when he is supposed to be like "DORIYAHHH!!!"
Smikey
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 09:11 PM

dafuq
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MAYOR
Member No.: 14,329

What kinda dubs are we talking about in here?

user posted image
Tessou
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 10:09 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 5 hours, 41 minutes ago)

Still no.

Disagree with all of these but CCO in particular is probably the worst example you could have come up with next to a 4kids dub. It's amusing for its over-the-top quality but that's what makes it so bad as a dub. To its credit, the only kind of dub I'd watch is one like that, and purely ironically ("so bad it's good", etc.).

HOW ABOUT FUCK NO LOLOLOL

Is what I'd say if I was a narrow minded fool.

Oh wait, it was already said here.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 10:13 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Tessou @ 4 minutes, 1 seconds ago)
HOW ABOUT FUCK NO LOLOLOL

Is what I'd say if I was a narrow minded fool.

Oh wait, it was already said here.

Except I actually explained what makes a dub bad.
Rudy
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 10:14 PM

Unregistered

kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 10:17 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Rudy @ 3 minutes, 1 seconds ago)
... anyone who says dubs are pointless earns +45 w33b points.

Recognizing that dubs are pointless =/= being a cancerous weeaboo.

But posting about it on an anime message board does. Fuck.
Rudy
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 10:19 PM

Unregistered

Tessou
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 10:24 PM

Group Icon

The dubs vs subs argument has gone on for decades and will never end because it's an argument over opinion. Nissan vs. Toyota. Superman vs. Batman. Perry's penis vs. Bozz' robocock. In less than a day, it's down to "if you're not for X, you're a weaboo". I'd golf clap at the primitive comeback, but I left my gloves in my other clenched asshole.

I like dubs because I watch television like Latin people typically do: in the background. I'm hardly ever watching the screen. Since I'm not by any means a fluent listener of Japanese, subtitles are meaningless unless it's a series that I'm willing to sit my butt down to and focus on, because I'm in another room reading a book or something, not paying much attention. Note that in my list I did not jot down Initial D. I watched that show subbed from the start, love that as the "canon" way to see it, but I also think the Funimation dub was worth listening to. Think outside the box when it comes to the argument. Not everybody sees it as you do. Some people can't even see.
Rudy
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 10:26 PM

Unregistered

kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 10:30 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Rudy @ 4 minutes, 42 seconds ago)
Oooh, you think you're so superior, don't you?

I'd tell you to read what I wrote again, but there's no point.

QUOTE (Tessou @ 19 seconds ago)
I'd golf clap at the primitive comeback, but I left my gloves in my other clenched asshole.

And I'd tip to that, but I left my fedora in the-- hahaha couldn't be bothered to finish that.

QUOTE (Tessou @ 19 seconds ago)
I like dubs because I watch television like Latin people typically do: in the background. I'm hardly ever watching the screen.

... I'm in another room reading a book or something, not paying much attention.

Then your point about subs vs. dubs is invalid because you aren't actually watching anything.
Rudy
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 10:34 PM

Unregistered

Tessou
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 10:34 PM

Group Icon

That's how I watch/don't watch them NOW, since life has changed and I'm doing other things. Years ago I would watch a lot of things both ways and enjoyed it both ways. Stop thinking so narrowly, and look at it from a broader angle. You took one sentence and called it a lost cause, when I said a hell of a lot more.
Rudy
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 10:37 PM

Unregistered

kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 10:46 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Rudy @ 19 seconds ago)
Nevermind the fact I already did a 5-star job of illustrating why dubs have their place and actually help the non-Japanese speaking anime fandom, right?

This...
QUOTE (Rudy @ 3 hours, 3 minutes ago)
If it weren't for dubs there wouldn't be nearly half as anime fans as there are today. I've encountered way more people who "don't want to read a television show" than those who watch subtitles.

...is more like a 5-star job of illustrating anecdotal evidence. If you want me to explain why dubs have no reason to exist, I'll do so, but you're the one who will have to show me what purpose they serve to the media (and I can tell you right now you're not gonna have a good time trying to do that).

QUOTE (Rudy @ 19 seconds ago)
Of course not. My opinion means nothing to you.

user posted image

QUOTE (Tessou @ 7 minutes, 5 seconds ago)
That's how I watch/don't watch them NOW, since life has changed and I'm doing other things. Years ago I would watch a lot of things both ways and enjoyed it both ways. Stop thinking so narrowly, and look at it from a broader angle. You took one sentence and called it a lost cause, when I said a hell of a lot more.

What you said boils down to "if I'm actually watching it, I generally prefer subs" and "if I'm not actually watching it, I generally prefer dubs". That explains everything by itself. Whether you watch/don't watch stuff this way now, five years ago, or ten years in the future, doesn't matter. You explained the way you watch(ed) dubbed media and I explained why that doesn't count because you simply weren't watching it. Nothing more to it. If you'd like to have a point against mine, you can use a show that you actually watched dubbed and explain why you preferred said dub.

This post has been edited by kyonpalm on Jan 26 2015, 10:51 PM
Rudy
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 10:55 PM

Unregistered

kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 11:02 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Rudy @ 6 minutes, 42 seconds ago)
Alright, I will. On syndicated television, absolutely no networks would want a television show to air which essentially forces the viewers to read what the bleep is going on.

Dubs have their place. Without them, Toonami would never exist. Anime for the most part would never catch on.

You're completely missing the point. Dubs may make it more marketable because a lot of people don't care about licensing companies localizing shows (and butchering them in the process) but this has nothing to do with whether dubs actually improve the quality of any show. They "have a place" in the American market because - and this is the problem with having to answer to your point because it ends up coming across as elitist opinionated garbage - people don't generally care too much about quality in the media they consume. Yeah, I said it.
Tessou
Posted: Jan 26 2015, 11:04 PM

Group Icon

I already mentioned Bebop, among others, but I'll focus on that as an example. I've seen it both ways, and thought the dub track was the superior way to experience it. The original Japanese voices just aren't that good. They don't lend to the atmosphere of the show.

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad also got a massive upgrade with actual English-speaking people doing the songs. The flow between dialog and singing was better, as there wasn't that jarring break between fluent Japanese and then hack job Engrish singing.

Besides, when I watch anime, I can watch it either way and enjoy it. I did not say or imply "If I'm actually watching it, I generally prefer subs." That all depends on the series in question. If the voices are too grating, I will switch, plain and simple. The dub of Panty & Stocking, while funnier to me in the dub, has some awful voices for the leads, so I watch it subbed. The only reason I go with dubs most of the time now is because I can't understand Japanese without subs. That doesn't mean that I PREFER it. That's just my fault that I didn't learn the language.

5 Pages  1 2 3 4 »