Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing Norma Sheffield - If You Wanna Stay

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 7,158  ·  Replies: 4 
> c4 vs ae86, curious how people feel
chucknasty
  Posted: Dec 23 2016, 07:23 PM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 47,800

seeing as i have yet to drive an ae86 i was wondering what people thought about an ae86 vs a corvette of the same year. specifically takami ae86 with the 240 hp engine vs a tpi 6 speed c4. i know it sounds easy and i am sure people will chime in and say american cars can't handle but i have been pleasantly pleased with the performance of my c4, c5, and c6. the best back road car i have ever had was my modded 2001 eclipse gt. problem i see with vettes are the transverse leaf springs. on a race track they are great since it acts as a second sway bar but on the street witht he c5 and c6 on max suspension preload if you hit a bump you slide. i have noticed i do not have the issue as much in my c4 which also has a stiffer ride (my c6 is base with f55 package, c5 was zr1 front sway, z51 rear sway, c5 z06 springs front and back).
Meteor
Posted: Dec 24 2016, 04:12 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 20,929

So Project D AE86 (200-240 hp, low center of gravity, short wheelbase, suspension with serious work done to it, wide tires front and back, weight reduction here and there and weighed less than a ton to begin with) versus a stock C4 corvette.

Corvette wins uphill or on a circuit unless the Corvette driver absolutely sucks. Takumi wins on the downhill every time because a stock C4 only has a power advantage, not a cornering or braking advantage. Corvettes have decent handling, but street legal tires only provide so much grip, and the non-Newtonian friction tires generate means they produce fewer Gs the more mass you put on them. The suspension will also be set for a bunch of different skill levels, rather than being fine tuned for faster drivers. The 86 will simply get more lateral Gs out of its tires than the stock Corvette will, and will also be braking much later on every corner, as well as getting just the right sort of suspension behavior from entry to exit.

A C4 modified as heavily as either of Project D's cars is a different matter.
chucknasty
  Posted: Dec 24 2016, 05:31 PM

IDW Member

Well my c4 will be heavily modified by fall. Was watching a video of an 84 like mine but stock (actually owner said 3 weak cylinders and no air cleaner) actually passing new mustangs and miata which was pretty cool. Now I haven't had a chance to push my c4 hard yet on cornering but the fun I've had it was pretty good. On the highway my c6 would easily dominate but I like the c4 short wheelbase (only 96 inches) and all the chassis stiffening it has. When I'm ready I'll be using the 1990 17 inch wheels with 275 all around. Also my c4 is a sport model with bilstein HD shocks and non adjustable light weight sport seats. Plans are to do coil overs with no air pump, might swap to aluminum heads,aftermarket cam, 1.6 rockers and aftermarket intake manifold. Bumping power from 205 to 300 with tq around 350. Stock sway bars are sufficient at 26mm front and 19mm rear for now.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
sideways
Posted: Feb 23 2017, 06:27 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,355

QUOTE (Meteor @ Dec 24 2016, 05:12 PM)
So Project D AE86 (200-240 hp, low center of gravity, short wheelbase, suspension with serious work done to it, wide tires front and back, weight reduction here and there and weighed less than a ton to begin with) versus a stock C4 corvette.

Corvette wins uphill or on a circuit unless the Corvette driver absolutely sucks. Takumi wins on the downhill every time because a stock C4 only has a power advantage, not a cornering or braking advantage. Corvettes have decent handling, but street legal tires only provide so much grip, and the non-Newtonian friction tires generate means they produce fewer Gs the more mass you put on them. The suspension will also be set for a bunch of different skill levels, rather than being fine tuned for faster drivers. The 86 will simply get more lateral Gs out of its tires than the stock Corvette will, and will also be braking much later on every corner, as well as getting just the right sort of suspension behavior from entry to exit.

A C4 modified as heavily as either of Project D's cars is a different matter.

Even going uphill, my money would be on the Project D 86.

Stock, the 80s vettes made 220-240 hp(ish. they got some changes over the years and it varies, but in the ballpark). Mind you they have more torque, but they also weigh 3100 pounds.

For a tangible comparison- My stock blackstop was enough to allow me to keep up with the acceleration of vehicles like 05 stis (300 hp, 300 pounds of torgue, nearly same weight, within 100 pounds depending on gas for either). Top of 3rd would have an STI walking away.

My cars not lightened, doesnt make 220+ hp, doesnt have shorter gear ratios in either the trans or the rear diff, etc.

As to the OP: Awesome cars man smile.gif We need some pictures.

This post has been edited by sideways on Feb 23 2017, 06:28 PM
chucknasty
  Posted: Mar 13 2017, 08:50 AM

IDW Member

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 600. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.