Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - 1969 (Album Edit)

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 4,848  ·  Replies: 3 
> DynDNS.org is (almost) dead! Long live DynDNS.org!
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Apr 8 2014, 07:31 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Yessir... after Dyn became a paid service then some three years ago sent out a note saying that free accounts were 'still allowed' but required 'monthly activation', this day was already on the table. It was clear that Dyn, which had been built entirely on offering free dynamic DNS services so ubiquitous that most every router on the planet has it hard-coded into its firmware, was becoming a commercial entity that desired greatly to shrug off the freeloaders that had gotten it to this point.

That day is May 7th, 2014.

As of that day, only people who donated to them in 1998 (!) or supposedly people running a D-Link router (what about everyone else with dyndns hard-coded!?) will continue to have 'free' services, the limitations of which will be unknown until possibly a month after that date. As for everyone else--myself included, though supposedly one of my domain names was from my old DIR-615 router--you're out of luck. No more free DNS for you. Pay up or shut up. Oh, don't worry, they're offering their paid service at 25% off..........for the first year of course, at which point you pay them normal price every year afterward until you decide you don't need their services.

Frankly, it's bullshit.

The whole reason routers have this service hard-coded into the firmware is because it was free and always available. That they turned around and are converting that market presence into change is filthy and I refuse to give them my dosh out of principle. Sure, it's cheap! It's like $20/year! That's about half a penny per day! But that's not the point. The point isn't how inexpensive it is. The point is the principle of the thing. Had it been a paid service to begin with, that wouldn't irk me so badly. That it was free for so damned long and suddenly, "Oh nope, sorry, pay up scrub!" is where I refuse to give them my money.

So, like any good leech of the web, I went looking for alternates and, fortunately, found some. You've got no-ip.org, which isn't bad except that it looks suspiciously like DynDNS.org did while they were transitioning to their paid model (making me worry they'll be next to pull this bullshit). Worried about that possibility I kept digging and found a wonderful little article from last year that has some great options. Feel free to peruse:

http://www.gnutomorrow.com/best-free-dynam...rvices-in-2013/

Personally, I went with the Afraid option. It's super-basic, super-free, and super-awesome. My address is so much cooler now. cool.gif Viva Freedom!
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
JKaiba
Posted: Apr 8 2014, 10:17 PM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

Humens have to fight for FREEDOME!!
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 700 x 985. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Apr 30 2014, 09:22 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

So pretty cool thing! My Netgear router notified me that it had an update. One of the items in said update was the complete removal of DynDNS from its firmware, replacing it with a free NETGEAR service from No-IP. Super awesome stuff, NETGEAR. Thanks! cool.gif

Seeya later, DynDNS!
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
khat17
Posted: Nov 29 2014, 10:29 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

Here I thought there'd be a HL/HL2 reference. But that one was kool.

While I understand the principle of the matter - and it does bite - the other options available give people some choices. I've used Dyn for years now - unfortunately since it's no longer free I have little use for it.