Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) Deemo - The Spirit Of The Night

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 1,794  ·  Replies: 4 
> Project scope, Or is it budget scope?
MetalMan777
  Posted: Sep 19 2013, 09:14 PM

Snooping as usual

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 32,588

I'd like some advice. I've got this car that both runs and drives, but I'm physically incapable of leaving things alone (ask me how many times I've swapped differentials on my DD just because I felt like not having an LSD one day, seriously) so it's got a list of things I'd like to improve. Of course, I'm having trouble balancing the car's needs with my wants, and my extraordinary cheapness. I want to upgrade the suspension, due to a real need to keep the left rear tire from rubbing on the inner fender on hard right hand turns. This could be done with a $500 panhard bar kit, or I could get rid of the leaf springs and spend $1500 on a sweet 4 link kit with coilovers, or heck, why not drop 7 grand on an IRS kit. Then there's the front, if I'm going to toss a lot of coin at the rear, why not spend 3500 making the front equally as magical? Then I'd need an LSD, wider tires, big breaks, new steering rack, and you can probably see how this is going from a cheap fun car to a big money pit that still probably won't set lap records.

The car is a 1970 MGB with a 12a Rotary engine hooked to a 5 speed. The only thing wrong with it is that the speedometer isn't working (and it has a roll bar in place of a roof, but that's not a big negative to me). It's my 3rd most important of 4 cars, and I just don't know what I want it to do for me. It's fun to drive, and the lack of a roof really goes a long way to fill the niche of a motorcycle for me. I don't really have an end goal, other than "fun to drive." I think what I should probably do is set a budget and see just how nice I can make it while staying under that number.

Who else has a project headed in an uncertain direction? Do you have a project that has run away with your checkbook? Surely somebody has some advice for me, and I probably have something in return.
sideways
Posted: Sep 20 2013, 03:13 AM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

3rd most important of 4? My advice- I wouldnt mess much with it. It sounds like its a low priority car for someone who is tight on money. Personally id do the needed minimum to make it run good, and leave it there. I dont even think id bother with bigger/wider tires, id just get the stickiest tires thatll fit without being a headache, do the minimum to the suspension to make it not rub, and enjoy the car.

Side question- Why do you feel like not having an LSD some days?
RedsunsF1
Posted: Sep 20 2013, 06:12 AM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

Member No.: 38,401

4 cars and this is your 3rd favorite one? Yeah not worth spending THAT much money on it. I would just roll the fenders and put some negative camber so you can stop rubbing. Change out the bushings since it's from 1970 and change out only what is necessary.
Spaz
Posted: Sep 20 2013, 08:01 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

See, I'm going to be that guy...

13b, keep the carb, MSD setup (with trailing deleted) to fix the speedo issue. What trans and diff are in it?
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
MetalMan777
  Posted: Sep 20 2013, 01:00 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (FC_spec @ 6 hours, 47 minutes ago)
4 cars and this is your 3rd favorite one? Yeah not worth spending THAT much money on it. I would just roll the fenders and put some negative camber so you can stop rubbing. Change out the bushings since it's from 1970 and change out only what is necessary.

I rub on the inner fender, not the outer one, so rolling wouldn't do anything. Can't add negative camber to a solid axle, and that would only make it worse anyway.

Spaz: I'll get a 13b if you buy that Evo 6. MSD would be pretty easy, I like that idea. It's the stock 3.91 diff from the late MGBs in a wire wheel axle. The tranny is from an RX3. Carb is a side draft Mikuni.