Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - LET'S ROCK!!

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 24,178  ·  Replies: 55 
> I was in a car accident
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Sep 10 2016, 09:42 AM

Patient Zero

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 37,947

That is so awful to hear Perry! I have to drive one lane highways to work and I'm always scared of some thing like this happening.

Its good to hear that you're ok! I hope that everything pans out in your favor. Please keep us updated. Shouldn't this be in Community?

This post has been edited by THE_HONDA_CG2 on Sep 10 2016, 09:42 AM
Perry
  Posted: Oct 9 2016, 02:02 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

Some updates on my situation...

I only have liability insurance, so no deductibles, everything is out of pocket. I went around the area and got three quotes. The lowest one is $2500. 2005 Corolla with similar mileage goes for only $3500. It's a pretty tough decision. At the end, I still decided to repair the Corolla. But after it's all repaired and fixed up, I'll pass the car to my mom.

That means I have to get a new car myself. Spent a month on craigslist to find the perfect deal. Finally last week I find a 2008 Prius that goes for $6800. It's a great car but it's got a lot of mileage on it (160K) so I bargained a bit and got it down to $6300. I was a happy camper. Been driving it for a week now and I average 61+ MPG. I couldn't be happier with that. I did the math and the car will pay for itself in five years with the money I save in fuel.

Here are some photos of my new car:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1632 x 1224. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1632 x 1224. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1224 x 1632. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Sensation!
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 02:24 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

It's a great purchase pear!
People who don't own these cars will make a big deal about the battery service when it's a non-issue. Ours is going over 150k and it's the chassis that needs work rather than the drive train.
Perry
  Posted: Oct 9 2016, 02:50 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sensation! @ 26 minutes, 10 seconds ago)
It's a great purchase pear!
People who don't own these cars will make a big deal about the battery service when it's a non-issue. Ours is going over 150k and it's the chassis that needs work rather than the drive train.

Oh yeah! I know what all the naysayers are saying. I did all the homework before going into this. I specifically asked the owner to not drive the car before I inspect it. I checked the car inside out with the tutorials from http://priusdiy.com/tutorials/ Checked CarFax and test drive it twice. Love it so far.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 02:57 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Sensation! @ 33 minutes, 22 seconds ago)
People who don't own these cars will make a big deal about the battery service when it's a non-issue.

Because it's a ~$1500 service that ends up being necessary around 150k~200k miles.

So if Perry's calculating out to five years, and assumes that 40k miles will be put on the clock in that time, then he does actually have to factor in the very real possibility that the hybrid battery will need to be replaced in that interval.

Perry's a smart dude though, so I assume he already factored that in and still got a smokin' deal. I know it sounds awesome to me, I'd love a Prius for less than 10k. Pretty damn hard to beat as basic transportation. cool.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Sensation!
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 03:07 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 9 minutes, 43 seconds ago)
Because it's a ~$1500 service that ends up being necessary around 150k~200k miles.

No it's not. As worn as our battery is, it holds a charge just fine for the system to work.
It might not be a 50MPG car anymore, but it still does 44. The entire combustion engine side of the prius is godly efficient. Unless the battery is completely dead and wont hold a charge, the car will get over 40 mpg.

Its so blown out of proportion that its silly and people who blow it as a crippling issue for the car don't own a Prius and don't know what they're talking about. The drivetrain on the cars is fine, its why taxi drivers gobble them up, they'll still do twice the MPG as a crown vic, even with a worn battery.

EDIT for TLDR; the car still works and is still more efficient than most cars on the road, even with a worn battery. You don't HAVE to replace it, but it certainly helps.

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Oct 9 2016, 03:19 PM
Perry
  Posted: Oct 9 2016, 03:19 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

These things are pretty reliable. Knowing the when and the what the owner took the car in for service also helps secure that confidence. smile.gif Prius has been around for over a decade, there are a ton of DIY that people came up to enhance the driving experience. Batteries replacement will only cost a a few hundred as oppose to $1500 from the dealer if you look around.

Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 03:46 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Sensation! @ 39 minutes, 15 seconds ago)
No it's not. As worn as our battery is, it holds a charge just fine for the system to work.
It might not be a 50MPG car anymore, but it still does 44. The entire combustion engine side of the prius is godly efficient. Unless the battery is completely dead and wont hold a charge, the car will get over 40 mpg.

Its so blown out of proportion that its silly and people who blow it as a crippling issue for the car don't own a Prius and don't know what they're talking about.

It's not that it's a crippling issue, it's that it will become an issue between it being new and being old. Welcome to the wonderful world of batteries. As I've already said, this was a great deal on a Prius even considering its age. If I had the dosh, I'd have bought it too. But I also would've had, in the back of my mind, a mental note to keep an eye on the range per trip and make sure I keep up on maintenance.

As for the $100 battery replacement, I'd totally do it if it's a reputable place. Even the back of a car in an alley can be reputable if it's got enough positive reviews, so it's less that it's some dude on craigslist and more that I don't know anything about them to say if it's worth it or not to replace a critical run component of the vehicle that makes me ponder it.

That the batteries last a long time isn't an excuse to ignore them. Perry's car has 60k miles more than any car my family has ever owned, and it's a hybrid. If he's not at least put into the calculation the contingency of a battery swap in the next five years (13 years on one battery!), he's not doing it right.
Perry
  Posted: Oct 9 2016, 04:07 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

13 years on the Prius Gen II batteries is not uncommon at all... I expect to get 5 years out this car and sell it for $2000 then. My cost for owning the car will be $4300. I save $900 in fuel compare to when I drive the Corolla assuming $2.75/gallon. If gas price goes up, then I can make up the difference even sooner. I don't expect the batteries will go out anytime soon. This was owned by one person since 2008. Batteries are the original ones. It holds the charge very well. I can "glide" or drive on batteries only for at least 10 mins (4 to 5 miles) on a full change. If you keep up with the maintenance, the batteries can easily last 250k+ miles.

Ivanik
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 04:18 PM

IDW Full Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,937

Maybe you shouldn't overtake a big vehicle through it's right side.
Sensation!
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 04:28 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 41 minutes, 42 seconds ago)
It's not that it's a crippling issue, it's that it will become an issue between it being new and being old. Welcome to the wonderful world of batteries. As I've already said, this was a great deal on a Prius even considering its age. If I had the dosh, I'd have bought it too. But I also would've had, in the back of my mind, a mental note to keep an eye on the range per trip and make sure I keep up on maintenance.

As for the $100 battery replacement, I'd totally do it if it's a reputable place. Even the back of a car in an alley can be reputable if it's got enough positive reviews, so it's less that it's some dude on craigslist and more that I don't know anything about them to say if it's worth it or not to replace a critical run component of the vehicle that makes me ponder it.

That the batteries last a long time isn't an excuse to ignore them. Perry's car has 60k miles more than any car my family has ever owned, and it's a hybrid. If he's not at least put into the calculation the contingency of a battery swap in the next five years (13 years on one battery!), he's not doing it right.

I can agree with this.
I'd also say that overall maintenance of the drivetrain itself is what'll keep these cars alive and on the road. Yes, I agree that a 10 year battery can only go south, especially in California, that said, the data that's out there for the battery life on 2nd and 3rd gen prius' seems spotty at best, it's likely even Toyota isn't entirely sure. There's a 2nd Prius thats gone 600K + miles on all original parts with maintenance somewhere in some cold country in Europe that Toyota has used as an ad, there's also cars with batteries that completely fail within 120k miles due to a likely fluke workmanship problem. Most prius' will die either from an accident or other mechanical failure before the end of the batteries effective life (it's why there's somewhat of a surplus and that reconditioning services are booming) which makes gathering conclusive data difficult.

The consensus seems to be that the battery will be effective much longer after the warranty period has expired on 2nd and 3rd gen models, apparently past 300,000 miles would be an estimate for their life, at the point, you also have chassis, engine, and transmission to worry about.

My point is, by the time the battery needs to be changed out, there's other portions of the car that also need to be changed out. As a result, many keen prius owners will make the HV battery life to be an issue that'll just be the life of the car.

Which makes me curious how many Prius owners are told by shops to change the HV battery when they don't really need to, remember; there's an industry in reconditioning batteries and selling reconditioned batteries.
A lot of people don't know that the Prius actually has a regular 12v car battery as well. If that gets drained, the car won't start. I wonder how many of these people are told (or feel) that that's indicative of a HV battery problem and proceed to swap it out, while being none the wiser.

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Oct 9 2016, 04:32 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 04:36 PM

ShiMACHaze

Just don't take it to Toyota of Orange for service, because they'll definitely tell you the HV battery needs replacing. mad.gif
Perry
  Posted: Oct 9 2016, 04:38 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ivanik @ 20 minutes, 5 seconds ago)

If that driver did stay I'd like to find out who's at fault as well. If he had stayed in front of the semi-truck then there'll be no collision. He didn't have the right of way when he cut across six lanes of traffic. I was driving straight in my own lane. He's the one that's responsible for making sure the lane he merges into is clear and safe.

Sensation!
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 05:04 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Ivanik @ 46 minutes, 24 seconds ago)

Maybe comrade, shouldn't be of making unprotected left turn into on-coming big kamaz tracktor thinking there is of nothing to its right. Сука Блять.

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Oct 9 2016, 05:10 PM
Tessou
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 06:49 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (Ivanik @ 2 hours, 31 minutes ago)

So sorry if the guy was below the speed limit in the left lane. Perhaps they were planning to turn left up the road, and were decelerating in preparation. Do you know all the facts? No? Great job.
xiao
  Posted: Oct 9 2016, 06:58 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (Perry @ 5 hours, 55 minutes ago)
user posted image

Beautiful photo & great deal on a Prius for under 10k like N1 mentioned Pear! (^u^)/

(the back looks spacious enough for 2 BedoPear suits shifty2.gif)
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Tessou
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 07:18 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

Re-reading the incident report, the truck was slow to start because they were accelerating from a full stop at the intersection, and the idiot apparently jumped the light to turn left in front of the truck. Perry did absolutely nothing wrong, tupitska Ivanik.
Ivanik
Posted: Oct 10 2016, 07:35 AM

IDW Full Member

So many critics for a simple comment. What happens here? It is always like that. Anyway, I just said it proposing that it would be a safer practice, not for nothing it is a traffic law in my country to always overtake trough the left. Don't take it as a critic, it is an advise, I consider myself a safe driver that SO FAR, was able to avoid hitting vehicles that made wrong maneuvers, like that truck.
Perry
  Posted: Oct 10 2016, 09:03 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ivanik @ 1 hour, 27 minutes ago)
So many critics for a simple comment. What happens here? It is always like that. Anyway, I just said it proposing that it would be a safer practice, not for nothing it is a traffic law in my country to always overtake trough the left. Don't take it as a critic, it is an advise, I consider myself a safe driver that SO FAR, was able to avoid hitting vehicles that made wrong maneuvers, like that truck.

What would you have done in that situation though? Would you slow down to match the semi-truck's speed (5-10mph) in front of a green light? The hit-n-run driver took advantage of the slow start of the semi-truck to cut across the street. I can't think of an excuse for defending him.

We also have the unwritten rule of not overtaking large semi-trailer on the right here, but that usually applies to highway/freeway where there are more lanes to choose from. In a local 3-lane road, when a slow moving semi-truck takes the center lane, that essentially render two thirds of the road congested if you can't overtake to the right of it.

Ivanik
Posted: Oct 10 2016, 09:53 AM

IDW Full Member

Anyway, it is just an advise since if you use the left side, you are apart from the vehicle you are overtaking, so your field of view is wider. I'm not defending the other driver, Which part of advise is not understood?, and that traffic rule is not unwritten, it is clearly written (in my country, as I said).
Perry
  Posted: Oct 10 2016, 10:26 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ivanik @ 27 minutes, 17 seconds ago)
Anyway, it is just an advise since if you use the left side, you are apart from the vehicle you are overtaking, so your field of view is wider. I'm not defending the other driver, Which part of advise is not understood?, and that traffic rule is not unwritten, it is clearly written (in my country, as I said).

Unfortunately, your advice is not construtive to the discussion at hand.
You can see my location in my profile as California, USA. Passing on the right is permitted per CA vehicle code in my situation.

21754.  The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass to the right
of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
  a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left
turn.
  b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with
unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of
moving vehicles in the direction of travel.
  c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district
with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for
two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel
  d) Upon a one-way street.
  e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is
restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.
  The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a
slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable
to the right hand edge of the roadway.
APX
Posted: Oct 10 2016, 10:33 AM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

Perry can totally be a UBER/whatever driver now. smile.gif

specially for hot drunk asian college girls over there. NUDGE NUDGE.
Spaz
Posted: Oct 11 2016, 07:41 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (APX @ Yesterday, 1:33 PM)
Perry can totally be a UBER/whatever driver now. smile.gif

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcyFJLrBVhA )
kyonpalm
Posted: Oct 11 2016, 08:31 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT08yzbC-s8 )
xiao
  Posted: Oct 12 2016, 01:58 AM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

~ Are joo a Birgin?? chris.gif

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=_wJLIhURERI )

This post has been edited by xiao on Oct 12 2016, 02:06 AM

3 Pages  1 2 3