Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (Battle Stage 2) Phil - Crazy & Ready

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 34,903  ·  Replies: 54 
> Experimental Regime Change, Detailed explanation (2012.3.23 ~ 2012.4.13)
Perry
    Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:16 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

What happen when April Fools go beyond than just a prank? That's essentially what happened here in the past 20 days. Earlier this year, Tessou hinted about acquiring the site or having a part of it by purchasing shares or making a large donation. Words of that got out and it planted the seed for this year's April Fools.

By February, I started letting some people know that I will be gone for 20 days starting by the end of March. Then it hits me, what if the prank were to go further than just one or two days? Tessou approached me with the idea that would fool even the oldest regulars. It was about completely transferring ownership. I liked the idea and went with it. The plan was to have Tessou run this year's April Fools and reveal everything by April 2nd. However, due to lack of communications on my end, Tessou were to carry out the show by himself. By the time I had a good look at the forums, a lot of changes were already made. I felt that I shouldn't disturb this experiment and let it go on.

There were always voices about changing things around on the forums. I think this was an excellent opportunity to showcase just how much the forums can benefit from a little facelift and power exchange. I agree with most of the changes being made. The ones that I don't agree with had already been reverted. If you feel strongly about certain changes that happened in the past 20 days, please contact me.

With that said, this was one of the very few April Fools that I was not directly involved. However, I would like to take the chance to remind everyone that I am probably not going to sell IDW in the foreseeable future. In addition, the forum software will not be upgraded. If you want a certain feature from newer forum software, request it and I'll try to code it myself. It's near impossible to upgrade with the current database scheme. It would probably better to start a new forum altogether. pinch2.gif

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask them in this thread.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Wanderer
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:22 AM

The Watcher

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 35,816

New mods keep their positions?
Perry
  Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:37 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

QUOTE (ATRUM_Neto @ 14 minutes, 56 seconds ago)

Yes, they do. happy.gif
Möbius
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:47 AM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

Welcome back to 2007 ( or 2008, can't remember )?

Too bad you did not carry out the plan to the extent of the original plan. cool.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Wanderer
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:47 AM

The Watcher

New warn system stays?
Also, are you still a scumbag? tongue.gif
Möbius
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:48 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (ATRUM_Neto @ 59 seconds ago)
New warn system stays?
Also, are you still a scumbag? tongue.gif

I hope the new warn system stays. It's the way it should be, and it was something that was in the works for years, but Perry always had to be the big softie.
Wanderer
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:49 AM

The Watcher

Will that system be implemented in WME as well?
Lebon14
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:52 AM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

QUOTE (ATRUM_Neto @ 29 minutes, 20 seconds ago)

Yep, except for APX and Alastair. With that, I retook my mod job. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Lebon14 on Apr 14 2012, 01:00 AM
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Perry
  Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:54 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Möbius @ 3 minutes, 41 seconds ago)
Welcome back to 2007 ( or 2008, can't remember )?

Too bad you did not carry out the plan to the extent of the original plan. cool.gif

laugh.gif

I hope the new warn system stays. It's the way it should be, and it was something that was in the works for years, but Perry always had to be the big softie.

New system stays. Moderators are not to decrease members' warning level automatically. Instead, they will observe the members' posting habit/behavior in the past 30~60 days or since the warning was issued. If the said member has not created enough posts to demonstrate he/she has improved in the way they post, warning will stay until the next reviewing period. A review period is every 30 days, but it could be based on the moderator's preference.
Möbius
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:54 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ 2 minutes, 13 seconds ago)
Yep, except for APX and Alastair. With that, I retook my mod job. smile.gif

For the new warn system... Knowing Perry, probably not. 3 warns plus remove 1 warn every 30 days of no infractions is still in effect (as far as I know). And then, the forum game (Corrupt wishes) and random thoughts thread are staying open. There will also be a new game that I will open pretty soon. biggrin.gif You guys will enjoy it wink2.gif

I hope the warn system stays, or at least gets revamped to 3 warns + reduction as mod team sees fit. Repeat offenders should not get the cooldown period, it reinforces the behavior of running up to 66% then just not posting for a while.
Lebon14
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 01:02 AM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

QUOTE (Möbius @ 7 minutes, 42 seconds ago)
I hope the warn system stays, or at least gets revamped to 3 warns + reduction as mod team sees fit. Repeat offenders should not get the cooldown period, it reinforces the behavior of running up to 66% then just not posting for a while.

I edited my post so Perry's get the highlight. So, I was wrong by saying that.
Möbius
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 01:04 AM

IDW Top Poster

I didn't see Perry's post before mine.

Just goes to show you how long that change has been in the works. cool.gif
APX
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 01:39 AM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

Very good april fools joke, smile.gif
Shintaro
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 01:45 AM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,828

I had fallen for it. Very clever.
kyonpalm
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 04:34 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty mad about this. This was neither amusing, nor entertaining, and was at times quite confusing. I'm not impressed at all.
Tessou
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 05:19 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

And with that, my contract has been fulfilled.

I enjoyed every minute of this experiment. Later, IDW. happy.gif
Wanderer
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 05:26 AM

The Watcher

Where you going bro?!
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 06:15 AM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 1 hour, 40 minutes ago)
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty mad about this. This was neither amusing, nor entertaining, and was at times quite confusing. I'm not impressed at all.

I second this. Except for the impressed part, I'm very impressed with the way this played out. A very interesting April Fool's prank. Congratulations Perry. But I can't believe I fell for this. facepalm.gif

Tessou, I hope you're not leaving again. The forums gained a lot of activity while you were here.

This post has been edited by THE_HONDA_CG2 on Apr 14 2012, 06:16 AM
Spaz
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 08:44 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

I had a feeling about this based on how lame April 1st was on its own. Considering the timeframe for the changeover and then mod selection it wasn't a far stretch.
Alastair
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 09:42 AM

SNTS

Member No.: 27,312

heart = crushed.

mind = broken
Smikey
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 10:04 AM

dafuq
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MAYOR
Member No.: 14,329

QUOTE (Spaz @ 1 hour, 20 minutes ago)
I had a feeling about this based on how lame April 1st was on its own. Considering the timeframe for the changeover and then mod selection it wasn't a far stretch.

+1 Upvotes for you...

...oh wait... this isn't reddit.
Perry
  Posted: Apr 14 2012, 02:35 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

I've maintained Tessou's edit in the Forum Guidelines. The warning level restart section now has an added clause: "If you simply withdraw from posting or has not demonstrate improved posting behavior, your warn level will stay. It will stay for as long as it takes for you to show progress in the way you post."

For those of you who are mad at me for keeping everyone in the dark for the duration of the experiment, I sincerely apologize. There wouldn't be an experiment if everyone knows. It has do with expectation. Only when most believe in the regime change can the experiment be successful.

I learned a few things through this. Tessou is a good leader; April Fools should stay as a 1~2 day event; and that I am a scumbag, still.

This post has been edited by Perry on Apr 14 2012, 02:58 PM
Tessou
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 03:48 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

Consider it a test run for a proposed revival of the dual admin system. After some conversations, it was mutually agreed that having Perry as the "technical" admin and myself as the PR admin would work out very well. This time, it is most definitely not a joke. Now, members can rest assured that Perry will not be going away, and I will not have full reign over the forum.

Perry is rewriting the admin responsibilities thread to further iron out just who does what here on IDW. In the meantime, I hope nobody panics that their suggestions and ideas sent to me during my joke tenure were not taken seriously due to the nature of my return. Specifically, a lot of contest ideas came to my attention, and now that I know I'm here for the long run, I can look at them a lot more closely. Expect developments to come up very soon.

Forum awards? They're gonna happen. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon. We have the big fat AX2012 meet coming up, and I want to have something special to present to the award winners in person. That meet's in early July, so you'll see awards well before then.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 04:27 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

For a little time this morning I didn't see the red admin bagde on you Tessou. Now that I'm here again, I see that you are once again admin. So you are staying as our PR admin? Either way I'm glad you're staying at any rate. I look forward to your plans for the AX 2012 meet! smile.gif
Möbius
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 06:37 PM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Perry @ 4 hours, 2 minutes ago)
I've maintained Tessou's edit in the Forum Guidelines. The warning level restart section now has an added clause: "If you simply withdraw from posting or has not demonstrate improved posting behavior, your warn level will stay. It will stay for as long as it takes for you to show progress in the way you post."

Finally.

Why did it take so long?

I believe I brought this up, and even with almost identical wording, years ago... facepalm.gif

@Tessou : That timeline for the awards/meet sounds really good for getting it back onto the semi-annual schedule ( one in June, one in Dec ).

This post has been edited by Möbius on Apr 14 2012, 06:38 PM

3 Pages  1 2 3