Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing (Battle Stage 2) Go 2 - Let It Burn

Views: 13,058  ·  Replies: 1 
> MySQL Database Error (2008-07-30), Regarding the recent 6-hour downtime
Perry
    Posted: Jul 30 2008, 09:38 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

As some of you know, the forums were inaccessible for roughly 6 hours from 4:00 PM to 10:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time) I was nowhere near a computer when it happens, thus I could not fix it right away. I first got to know the problem at 9:25 PM. My gut feeling thought it was a MySQL version compatibility issue. After a little research on the MySQL error message, it turned out to be a typical out-of-space error.

What happened was, the /tmp/ partition was full. Why does it matter if it's full you ask ? Because that's where the MySQL database uses as a temporary "workbench." When it's full, the MySQL database can not operate properly. The main page of the forums happen to be have a MySQL SELECT statement that is barred by this impairment.

I had a talk with thewird and make sure this problem won't happen again by increasing the size of the /tmp/ partition. Hopefully this problem won't come back again. And no, this had nothing to do with the forums getting near the 1,000,000th post mark. The IPB 1.3.x software is capable of having over 100 million posts.

Thanks for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience. happy.gif
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Möbius
Posted: Jul 31 2008, 03:02 PM

IDW Top Poster

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,524

I was only kidding with the 1000K post being the problem.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums