Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing (Final Stage) Joe Banana - Wild Boy Bad Love

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

447 Pages  « 420 421 422 423 424 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 534,986  ·  Replies: 11,163 
> Random Thoughts
Posted: Feb 18 2018, 10:07 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 16,670

call me crazy but this was one funny/fun idea to do with those old bulky computer monitors. gut the interior completely and throw in an aquarium that fits into those dimensions. now you have an actual aquarium screen saver that you can watch anytime of the day.

even one of the older big screen TVs would make for a large capacity aquarium. my parents still have a 50'' tv thats still in use and its around 4' wide and nearly as fat. it would be cool to turn something like that into an aquarium too.

This post has been edited by 207 on Feb 18 2018, 10:11 PM
APX
Posted: Feb 18 2018, 11:06 PM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

It's been done before, even during the era.

Might use old flatscreens for ant farms or something of the sort.
Posted: Feb 18 2018, 11:30 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

QUOTE (APX @ 24 minutes, 36 seconds ago)
It's been done before, even during the era.

the monitor aquariums look damn cool. id have one if i had the space for one. i have 2 working fish tanks (heaters/filters) + 3 others as spares for bettas (heaters included). i used to run 5 tanks at the peak but have it cut down to 2 tanks: 1 3.7G kritter keeper (acrylic) and a 5G (2 bettas) tank with a divider in it. i currently have 3 betta fish but used to have 5 at most in the past.

lately the 5G tank is gonna be a head ache due to the 6yr old aquariums silicon losing adhesion for the main tank divider. gonna have to empty the tank eventually and redo the divider seal all over again so it can last for another 6-7 years. it will only take 2-3 days but id still need setup the spare tanks for the fish for a while.

ant farms are neat but i always worried about the opportunity they'd escape or if the thing was knocked over.

has anyone ever taken the old computers/monitors and upgraded them for the newest tech? the equipment would look antiquated but it would have near modern specs. a possible idea could be using a Compaq portable with near modern specs. or even an old tower processor to have new tech.

This post has been edited by 207 on Feb 18 2018, 11:38 PM
umustwait101
Posted: Feb 19 2018, 07:32 AM

Osaka-kun

Member No.: 45,912

QUOTE (207 @ 8 hours, 1 minutes ago)
the monitor aquariums look damn cool. id have one if i had the space for one. i have 2 working fish tanks (heaters/filters) + 3 others as spares for bettas (heaters included). i used to run 5 tanks at the peak but have it cut down to 2 tanks: 1 3.7G kritter keeper (acrylic) and a 5G (2 bettas) tank with a divider in it. i currently have 3 betta fish but used to have 5 at most in the past.

lately the 5G tank is gonna be a head ache due to the 6yr old aquariums silicon losing adhesion for the main tank divider. gonna have to empty the tank eventually and redo the divider seal all over again so it can last for another 6-7 years. it will only take 2-3 days but id still need setup the spare tanks for the fish for a while.

ant farms are neat but i always worried about the opportunity they'd escape or if the thing was knocked over.

has anyone ever taken the old computers/monitors and upgraded them for the newest tech? the equipment would look antiquated but it would have near modern specs. a possible idea could be using a Compaq portable with near modern specs. or even an old tower processor to have new tech.

APX beat me to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macquarium

As for flatscreens, if you're talking about LCDs, then that's not really possible. Whereas CRTs are actually glass vacuums, LCDs are thin sheets of plastic and transistors glued to each other.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 19 2018, 08:38 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (207 @ 8 hours, 58 minutes ago)

Yes, this is done all the time. Old cases still use standard mounting points, so you can generally cram any modern hardware you want into old cases with impunity. You won't get the benefit of new case niceties without bringing out a hacksaw and modifying the way the case itself works (things like a motherboard tray, quick-release disk bays, acoustic dampeners, etc).

QUOTE (umustwait101 @ 57 minutes, 23 seconds ago)
As for flatscreens, if you're talking about LCDs, then that's not really possible.  Whereas CRTs are actually glass vacuums, LCDs are thin sheets of plastic and transistors glued to each other.

>what are flat CRTs
>what is removing the panel from old thick LCDs and replacing the space with glass that can be used for an ant farm
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
umustwait101
Posted: Feb 19 2018, 09:21 AM

Osaka-kun

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 42 minutes, 25 seconds ago)
Yes, this is done all the time. Old cases still use standard mounting points, so you can generally cram any modern hardware you want into old cases with impunity. You won't get the benefit of new case niceties without bringing out a hacksaw and modifying the way the case itself works (things like a motherboard tray, quick-release disk bays, acoustic dampeners, etc).

>what are flat CRTs
>what is removing the panel from old thick LCDs and replacing the space with glass that can be used for an ant farm

Well, maybe "possible" wasn't the right word. "Practical" would be what I actually meant. If you remove the panel from an LCD, all you're left with is just a sliver of nondescript bezel. It can't support much weight. It doesn't add much to the experience whether the ant farm is inside an old LCD or not. Then again, I'm not into ant farms in the first place, so the idea of an ant farm seems pointless to me. I find fish, water, and plants more appealing to watch than dirt and swarming creepy crawlers. And countless small tunnels. Ew. That gives me the creeps.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 19 2018, 09:23 AM

ShiMACHaze

Wew lad, you sure are generalizing the physical dimensions of every LCD monitor in existence from the first to the most current. Perhaps you shouldn't do that. wink2.gif
umustwait101
Posted: Feb 19 2018, 09:32 AM

Osaka-kun

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 8 minutes, 40 seconds ago)
Wew lad, you sure are generalizing the physical dimensions of every LCD monitor in existence from the first to the most current. Perhaps you shouldn't do that. wink2.gif

Well, I can't say you don't have a point there. And why would anyone take a new OLED TV, gut the innards and replace it with an ant farm. Of course it would only be done with old bulky LCDs, which do exist, I suppose. So there is a case to be made for converting old LCDs into ant farms.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 19 2018, 10:03 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (APX @ Yesterday, 11:06 PM)

QUOTE (umustwait101 @ 29 minutes, 47 seconds ago)
Well, I can't say you don't have a point there.  And why would anyone take a new OLED TV, gut the innards and replace it with an ant farm.  Of course it would only be done with old bulky LCDs, which do exist, I suppose.  So there is a case to be made for converting old LCDs into ant farms.

Thankfully no one was suggesting making an ant farm out of a new OLED TV.
Tessou
  Posted: Feb 19 2018, 12:33 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

I enjoy where this went.
Nerubian
Posted: Feb 19 2018, 01:42 PM

Living in the woods when it's raining in the dark.

Member No.: 36,931

QUOTE (umustwait101 @ Yesterday, 5:42 PM)
In school, we had to sharpen our pencils using the pencil sharpener, and hand-write everything in notebooks.

Isn't this common anymore? Because it was for me up to the end of my apprenticeship last year.
APX
Posted: Feb 19 2018, 01:50 PM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

QUOTE (Nerubian @ 7 minutes, 22 seconds ago)
Isn't this common anymore? Because it was for me up to the end of my apprenticeship last year.

College classes: really depends on who your professor is and how they expect you to do work.

So far my english teachers have been cool and allow us to use pens or type it up.

My Geography lab professor wants everything done in pencil (Either standard #2 or mechanical, NO PEN), no fancy calculators, just old 99 cent calculators.

Even my History professor didn't care, long as we took notes during his lectures, could have been in glitter pens for all he cared.

Also yes to old flatscreens, I could probably make a ant farm out of the old samsung monitor I had for a little over 10 years or so, bulky enough and was pretty heavy.
Posted: Feb 19 2018, 10:38 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 11:38 AM)

>what are flat CRTs

thanks, i knew that you'd have to do a few interior mods to the old cases to mount the new tech into it. i just wonder how ancient some people went to refurbish something to nearly new specs.
umustwait101
Posted: Feb 20 2018, 12:30 AM

Osaka-kun

I feel like I um... didn't think this through.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 20 2018, 12:56 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (207 @ Yesterday, 10:38 PM)
thanks, i knew that you'd have to do a few interior mods to the old cases to mount the new tech into it. i just wonder how ancient some people went to refurbish something to nearly new specs.

There's no need to 'mod' the old cases just to place current hardware in. Mods are only required if you want the case to be able to do more things, or be quieter. That's what I was saying earlier--the standards for drive bay sizes and mounting points are exactly the same now as they were back then, so most old cases can mount up modern hardware without any issues.

However, often if you do this you'll end up with a fairly noisy rig due to vibration issues, plus old cases all want you to screw down all your drives (whereas modern cases often use some form of quick-release for drives to make swapping them easy). If you want cool stuff like that, you'll have to modify the case. If you just want a modern computer hidden in an old case, no modifications required.
Posted: Feb 20 2018, 08:41 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 7 hours, 44 minutes ago)
There's no need to 'mod' the old cases just to place current hardware in. Mods are only required if you want the case to be able to do more things, or be quieter. That's what I was saying earlier--the standards for drive bay sizes and mounting points are exactly the same now as they were back then, so most old cases can mount up modern hardware without any issues.

However, often if you do this you'll end up with a fairly noisy rig due to vibration issues, plus old cases all want you to screw down all your drives (whereas modern cases often use some form of quick-release for drives to make swapping them easy). If you want cool stuff like that, you'll have to modify the case. If you just want a modern computer hidden in an old case, no modifications required.

thanks, i had to change my cases' power supply due to a surge in the electricity last year and i did the replacement myself. i did see how most of the components were mounted so i did figure you'd have to do something about how the newer components would have to be secured to the older tech for a retro look.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 21 2018, 01:22 PM

ShiMACHaze

Nope, no need. The mounting points for computer components are a standard. So power supplies will always have the same four holes, motherboards will have the same holes, graphics cards will have the same plate mounts, drives will have the same widths and holes, etc etc etc. It's ATX.

There are boards which may not fit because they're another standard (such as Mini-ATX or others), but modern motherboards are still sold as ATX so finding modern equipment that will fit an old case is not an issue.
Posted: Feb 22 2018, 05:09 AM

Hiretsuna rōjin

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 4:22 PM)
Nope, no need. The mounting points for computer components are a standard. So power supplies will always have the same four holes, motherboards will have the same holes, graphics cards will have the same plate mounts, drives will have the same widths and holes, etc etc etc. It's ATX.

There are boards which may not fit because they're another standard (such as Mini-ATX or others), but modern motherboards are still sold as ATX so finding modern equipment that will fit an old case is not an issue.

so wouldnt there be compaction issues due to putting the components into a smaller case or that they'd be too close to fit in the desired spots in the casing? i can image some older casing may too too small for mounting areas if the casing might be too small? im referring more to a screen/processor combo case. though i can see you point for the larger tower/casings units.
Sensation!
Posted: Feb 22 2018, 06:06 AM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

You are aware that as technology progresses, things often get smaller right? and that the ATX tower is a thing of the past? that Futureshop/Bestbuy wont even put them out in open display unless its a gaming rig?.....
Oh who am I kidding, its you we're dealing with lol

So no, why would you be worried about the space constraints of something designed over 20 years ago for (comparatively) massive processors vs what we have today? A 6.7 × 6.7 in Mini-ITX motherboard has enough room for a mSATA, m.2, a GPU, an i7, PCI-E, and twin RAM slots; all within its footprint.

I mean, I'm sure with a drill and some ingenuity, you can shove a modern PC into a MAC G3 enclosure and still have room for the aforementioned fish tank

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Feb 22 2018, 06:27 AM
Posted: Feb 22 2018, 06:18 AM

Hiretsuna rōjin

QUOTE (Sensation! @ 11 minutes, 50 seconds ago)
You are aware that as technology progresses, things often get smaller right? and that the ATX tower is a thing of the past? that Futureshop/Bestbuy wont even put them out in open display unless its a gaming rig?.....
Oh who am I kidding, its you we're dealing with lol

Im sure with a drill and some ingenuity, you can shove anything into a MAC G3 enclosure.

i am aware that tech does progress, heck i live off of the old tech everyday.

im just not tech savy in the sense of how the shit works or how its built. i just know how to operate it for what it need it for and when shit breaks then i'd need to call tech support. ive had my share of mistakes in the past and have learned from them so i dont get that again or very rarely need to experience them again.

This post has been edited by 207 on Feb 22 2018, 06:19 AM
xiao
Posted: Feb 22 2018, 09:53 AM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (207 @ 3 hours, 31 minutes ago)
I've had my share of mistakes in the past and have learned from them ..

The first computer I ever built was a Pentium 4 rig in 2005 for a friend ~ I did everything nice & cable management et al .. then I proudly put the tower in front of him on the kitchen table and with a smug grin on my face told him .. "watch this" cool.gif

Then we both saw a little gray cloud of smoke come out the back .. needless to say that's the last time I forgot to put the little plastic washers in between the mobo & the metal case .. and the last time he let me build a PC for him too ~ derp.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
kyonpalm
Posted: Feb 22 2018, 09:54 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Sensation! @ 3 hours, 47 minutes ago)
I mean, I'm sure with a drill and some ingenuity, you can shove a modern PC into a MAC G3 enclosure and still have room for the aforementioned fish tank

Picturing a rig with a built-in fish tank as its water cooling reservoir.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 22 2018, 04:14 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (207 @ Today, 5:09 AM)
so wouldnt there be compaction issues due to putting the components into a smaller case or that they'd be too close to fit in the desired spots in the casing? i can image some older casing may too too small for mounting areas if the casing might be too small? im referring more to a screen/processor combo case. though i can see you point for the larger tower/casings units.

Old cases are larger, not smaller. The smaller mounting standards were not invented until much later, and if the case uses one of those smaller standards, just get a modern board which adheres to that standard.

That's why it's called a...standard...
Nerubian
Posted: Feb 23 2018, 10:23 AM

Living in the woods when it's raining in the dark.

Member No.: 36,931

Speaking of fish tanks, I always wanted to know what the fish tank april's fool was about.
Posted: Feb 25 2018, 09:53 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

i know this question regards to an "old" game but has anyone here played maximum tune 5 yet? i didnt drop by the arcades for a many months and the place i usually go to took a long time to update wmnt4->wmnt5. did they change much in MT5 aside from the customizing and card systms as compared to MT4?

This post has been edited by 207 on Feb 25 2018, 09:53 PM

447 Pages  « 420 421 422 423 424 »