Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing B-East - Super Eurobeat Presents Non Stop Re-Mix [Project.D Ver.]

Important Rules
Post everything about Initial D Arcade Stage 5 here. If you want to talk about ver.1 and ver.2, please post them in the ver.1 - 2 section. For anything about ver.3, please post them in the version 3 section. For anything about ver.4, please post them in the version 4 section. Participating in flame wars will be severely punished. NO plagiarism in any case. If you are posting information (i.e. - shift points) that did not originate from this forums, by all means, give the author / source proper credit. Violator will be given a verbal warning on first offence and an actual warning thereafter.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,820  ·  Replies: 22 
> What's your opinion?, Using 5 or 6 speed cars.
GIDO
  Posted: Sep 28 2010, 06:02 PM

IDW God Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 35,913

Is there really an advantage of using one out of the other?
ChiyoV
Posted: Sep 28 2010, 06:10 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 35,944

The only real difference is to remember what gear you're on when up and downshifting. Especially at a track with a lot of shifting, like Irohazaka, you may lose count on what gear you're on. In that case, 5 speeds are somewhat "easier", but still no difference.

[That's why I play AT. I worry more about line and braking than anything else.]
DigiBunny
Posted: Sep 28 2010, 07:16 PM

Reading is magic!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 30,700

I suppose if you drive one type, you get used to that gearing so much to the point where a different car will throw you off. It's really just the driver's perspective. Maybe the six gear MIGHT have a slight acceleration difference because of it's narrower gears, but you're always in the powerband anyway when you upshift at the redline. *shrug*
GIDO
  Posted: Sep 28 2010, 07:44 PM

IDW God Member

QUOTE (ChiyoV)
The only real difference is to remember what gear you're on when up and downshifting. Especially at a track with a lot of shifting, like Irohazaka, you may lose count on what gear you're on. In that case, 5 speeds are somewhat "easier", but still no difference.

[That's why I play AT. I worry more about line and braking than anything else.]

I did try stock AT once against the first enemy of Happo. I was startled I won that race. >_<

QUOTE (DigiBunny)
I suppose if you drive one type, you get used to that gearing so much to the point where a different car will throw you off. It's really just the driver's perspective. Maybe the six gear MIGHT have a slight acceleration difference because of it's narrower gears, but you're always in the powerband anyway when you upshift at the redline. *shrug*

Back in D4, I was always using a 5 speed car.. Then in D5, I use EVO 9 which is 6. A new experience. And I was really not into it at first then just gradually got experienced. >_<

This post has been edited by GIDO on Sep 28 2010, 07:47 PM
ishida
Posted: Sep 29 2010, 01:35 AM

Puppet Master

Member No.: 35,836

ya i get used to my S2000(6gears) in a few games....its very easy actually when you get used to it... happy.gif
GIDO
  Posted: Sep 29 2010, 04:01 AM

IDW God Member

QUOTE (ishida @ 2 hours, 25 minutes ago)
ya i get used to my S2000(6gears) in a few games....its very easy actually when you get used to it... happy.gif

Yeah. I'm getting used to my evo 9 too. Just looking to buy my chosen dress-up parts for the car and I'm all set. laugh.gif
venth85
Posted: Sep 29 2010, 04:53 AM

Hello again~~

Member No.: 21,309

I have both type, for battle i prefer 6gears car, somehow is more forgiving during battle and it train the player's timing for braking and faster shifting.
GIDO
  Posted: Sep 29 2010, 05:23 AM

IDW God Member

QUOTE (venth85 @ 30 minutes, 41 seconds ago)
I have both type, for battle i prefer 6gears car, somehow is more forgiving during battle and it train the player's timing for braking and faster shifting.

What's the 5-speed car if I may ask?
venth85
Posted: Sep 29 2010, 05:33 AM

Hello again~~

QUOTE (GIDO @ 9 minutes, 19 seconds ago)
What's the 5-speed car if I may ask?

for 6speed I have S2000 and S15, for 5speed I have the usual 86,FC,FDs,DC2 and 180SX fear2.gif
DigiBunny
Posted: Sep 29 2010, 06:35 AM

Reading is magic!

*Raises hand*
I contend that a six gear car, because it has more gear ratios to force the engine to overrev, can brake later than a five gear car through sheer engine braking.

In theory.

Anyone feel like validating my theory?
GIDO
  Posted: Sep 29 2010, 06:41 AM

IDW God Member

QUOTE (venth85 @ 1 hour, 8 minutes ago)
for 6speed I have S2000 and S15, for 5speed I have the usual 86,FC,FDs,DC2 and 180SX fear2.gif

180sx. Rarity. I like that. laugh.gif

Mine's only an evo 9! biggrin.gif
venth85
Posted: Sep 29 2010, 06:56 AM

Hello again~~

Using 6speed I tend to brake earlier to match my shifting before cornering, to get better line, usually I preserve my tires better this way during battles
GIDO
  Posted: Sep 29 2010, 07:21 AM

IDW God Member

QUOTE (venth85 @ 25 minutes, 28 seconds ago)
Using 6speed I tend to brake earlier to match my shifting before cornering, to get better line, usually I preserve my tires better this way during battles

Is it taboo to brake then downshift? Like not at the same time? I tend to do it sometimes when I brake late. lol.
TER~XD
Posted: Sep 29 2010, 07:32 AM

Tsundere POWA!!

Member No.: 35,660

In my opinion, it would be easier to brake and shift at the same time, especially with a six gear car. I'd pretty much under-steer with an FR (not too sure about 4-wheel-drives) when i attack a corner WHILE shifting the gear and tend to focus on getting the right gear and not on the road. Shifting before cornering would probably be better. This'll probably let me side to 5-gears more for easier shifting.

This is my opinion on cornering and may not be similar to yours.

This post has been edited by TER~XD on Sep 29 2010, 07:51 AM
GIDO
  Posted: Sep 29 2010, 07:51 AM

IDW God Member

QUOTE (TER~XD @ 18 minutes, 43 seconds ago)
In my opinion, it would be easier to brake and shift at the same time, especially with a six gear car. I'd pretty much under-steer with an FR (not too sure about 4-wheel-drives) when i attack a corner WHILE shifting the gear and tend to focus on getting the right gear and not on the road.

This is my opinion on cornering and may not be similar to yours.

Ahh. Thanks for you opinion. smile.gif
TER~XD
Posted: Sep 29 2010, 07:55 AM

Tsundere POWA!!

No problem. wink2.gif Try it with that Evo IX of yours someday. You'll get the idea easier rather looking at words.

This post has been edited by TER~XD on Sep 29 2010, 07:55 AM
GIDO
  Posted: Sep 29 2010, 08:01 AM

IDW God Member

QUOTE (TER~XD @ 5 minutes, 39 seconds ago)
No problem. wink2.gif Try it with that Evo IX of yours someday. You'll get the idea easier rather looking at words.

Thanks. Oh yeah, one more thing. Is D5 one foot driving? or 2 feet if necessary?
DigiBunny
Posted: Sep 29 2010, 08:11 AM

Reading is magic!

I'm a right foot only guy, and I managed to deny a certain blue FD the top 1 spot in Iro DHD who left foot brakes.

One foot works fine if you're accustomed to it. Two feet is going to be marginally faster because your foot doesnt need to swap back and forth, but I just find it weird.
brian_infinispirit
Posted: Sep 29 2010, 10:50 AM

The Dozuki Master

Member No.: 20,372

^ and you had to specifically mention that, didn't you? wink2.gif

==============================

i've been mostly using 5-gear cars... so when i took digi's rx-8 for a spin, i was caught off-guard in some instances, esp. on akina... though akina lake ccw is where i felt the advantage of 6-gear cars not having to be cautious with the speed through that long left turn since assuming your line is right, your car will hit the rev limit in 5th for most of the corner...

back in IDv3 and ID4, i didn't have issues with 6-gear cars... it's with ID5 wherein i noticed that i need to be more cautious when to brake and so on... reminds me of the numerous times wherein i thought i was in 2nd gear but in reality i was still in 3rd gear clearing a hairpin in the 60-70 km/h region...
GIDO
  Posted: Sep 29 2010, 04:55 PM

IDW God Member

QUOTE (brian_infinispirit @ 6 hours, 5 minutes ago)
^ and you had to specifically mention that, didn't you? wink2.gif

==============================

i've been mostly using 5-gear cars... so when i took digi's rx-8 for a spin, i was caught off-guard in some instances, esp. on akina... though akina lake ccw is where i felt the advantage of 6-gear cars not having to be cautious with the speed through that long left turn since assuming your line is right, your car will hit the rev limit in 5th for most of the corner...

back in IDv3 and ID4, i didn't have issues with 6-gear cars... it's with ID5 wherein i noticed that i need to be more cautious when to brake and so on... reminds me of the numerous times wherein i thought i was in 2nd gear but in reality i was still in 3rd gear clearing a hairpin in the 60-70 km/h region...

I got into that situation lots of time when I first started with my evo 9. biggrin.gif
tkrd48
Posted: Sep 29 2010, 06:58 PM

IDAS5 Team GT

Member No.: 34,011

I do have this problem when using my S2K at Akina UHD... I lost count of my down shift my gear and end up using 3rd gear instead of 2nd gear, but then after awhile I already get use to it, plus S2K does not have a very closed gear ratio compare to S15 and R34...

This post has been edited by tkrd48 on Sep 29 2010, 07:01 PM
Icey
Posted: Sep 29 2010, 07:19 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 35,703

6 or 5 gears cars are pretty similar, just the shifting... maybe couple of mistakes for those uses 5 gears cars too often yucky.gif
TER~XD
Posted: Sep 29 2010, 11:04 PM

Tsundere POWA!!

From what I've seen from videos, some Japan players are constantly shifting to 3rd gear to corner, halfway through the corner though, they shift to 2nd gear to cause an under-steer to drift and counter-steer back immediately to get back to the road. I'm not really sure whether this helps because it seems damaging to the tires. But i think it could help in that 'shifting to 3rd gear accidentally to corner' incident.