Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (IRC)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing Mika's Theme

Important Rules
Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

408 Pages  « 377 378 379 380 381 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 265,024  ·  Replies: 10,175 
> Random Thoughts
xiao
Posted: May 15 2017, 03:13 PM

moon★bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 56 minutes ago)
You got me on that one. As far as I know, they're both perfectly viable forms. Maybe he thought you were being too informal? I dunno.

N1 will probably be the guy to nail this one.

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 1 hour, 27 minutes ago)
Tessou nailed it. Technically speaking using the dictionary form mid-sentence is perfectly acceptable because conjugations tend to come at the end of a sentence. However, if you want to be totally formal then you use 'masu' where otherwise you would use dictionary form.

My only real complaint with what you said to him isn't that part, but rather the 'mada chotto nihongo wakaru kedo' bit as a whole. I know what you were trying to say, and so did he, but the correct version of what you intended would be まだちょっとの日本語しかわかりませんが

Which in case you didn't guess already is, "I don't understand but a bit of Japanese, but" which is a little more humble and less clunky-sounding. I mean, it sounds odd read literally in English, but it sounds better in Japanese.

Anyway, for a full explanation of how to use 'kedo' and why he told you to use 'masu', here's something I found on Google for you:

http://maggiesensei.com/2016/05/07/how-to-...3%81%A9-dakedo/

Woah!Thank you for the feedback guys happy.gif

His tone of voice was more like a mom correcting her son, rather than scolding my baka gaijin lingo. So I'm guessing he meant to try & save me future embarrassment. I just had a slight doubt if using the る (ru) form would change the literal meaning of the sentence, rather than make it polite or casual.

It's happened to me before where I said the following to a fellow student:

・ 君の質問を答えか?(Kimi no shitsumon wo kotae ka?/ Does that answer your question?) cool.gif *cocky xiao*

Then our Japanese teacher slapped me with the proverbial harisen correcting me to say it like:

・ 私は君の質問を答えましたか?(Watashi wa kimi no shitsumon wo kotaemashita ka? / Did I answer your question?) laugh.gif

I would've guessed a more understandable or polite way to say to would've been:

・ 僕は君の質問を答うっすか?(Boku wa kimi no shitsumon wo kotaussu ka? / Am I answering your question?)

・ 僕は君の質問を答うか?(Boku wa kimi no shitsumon wo kotau ka? / Should I answer your question?)

All 3 versions incorrect, and the last two totally changing the meaning of the sentence. So I thought a similar thing would apply to (ru) and (masu). But as ya'll mentioned it's just polite versus casual. ohmy.gif

Regarding「 まだちょっとの日本語しかわかりませんが 」

That's the 1st time I've noticed people use the conjunction しか (shika / only) ~ but it totally makes sense cause it sounds like しかし (shikashi / however) ...

しかしだが!(shikashi daga! / nonetheless!) my old Japanese teacher would always slap me silly for not using でも (demo / polite form of but) And now that I'm trying to be all girly and trap & shiz... maybe I should start talking like Piro from MegaTokyo & be all cute だもん!user posted image (damon! / girly form of dayo!)

Somehow I think the IQ of this thread was raised ever so slightly today... BUT I still think that thing looks like a Charger tho!user posted image derp.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 735 x 550. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

This post has been edited by xiao on May 15 2017, 03:31 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 15 2017, 03:38 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (xiao @ 14 minutes, 24 seconds ago)
・ 君の質問を答えか?(Kimi no shitsumon wo kotae ka?/ Does that answer your question?) cool.gif *cocky xiao*

Actaully this is wrong on several levels. Not only is it informal as hell, but it's just plain incorrect in general. What that actually says, clunkily, is "Would ya answer yer question!?" And even then that's not 100% since the grammar is simply incorrect. 'Kotae' is a noun and 'kotaeru' is a verb. So it's just wrong.

I would've guessed a more understandable or polite way to say to would've been:

・ 僕は君の質問を答うっすか?(Boku wa kimi no shitsumon wo kotaussu ka? / Am I answering your question?)

Why you would've thought 'ssu' is in any way polite is beyond me. Also again just plain wrong gramatically since 'kotaeru' doesn't get conjugated with 'u' at all. If I ignored that this sentence is completely and utterly incorrect I would translate it as "Should I answer your question?"

・ 僕は君の質問を答うか?(Boku wa kimi no shitsumon wo kotau ka? / Should I answer your question?)

This is just a simpler version of the same exact incorrectly-formed sentence above. It says the same thing...incorrectly.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
xiao
Posted: May 15 2017, 04:38 PM

moon★bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 48 minutes, 15 seconds ago)
This is just a simpler version of the same exact incorrectly-formed sentence above. It says the same thing...incorrectly.

Yeah, I meant to say it correctly albeit with a Shonen Jump attitude laugh.gif

My teach got it right in saying I should've told my classmate:

・ 私は君の質問を答えましたか?(Watashi wa kimi no shitsumon wo kotaemashita ka? / Did I answer your question?)

But I wanted to sound like Vegeta patronizing Goku in the gravity chamber & should've said:

・ 君の質問を答えましたか?(Kimi no shitsumon wo kotaemashita ka? / Did I answer your question?)

Just omitting the I pronoun & starting the sentence with (kimi) ... I don't like using (omae) it's just too over the top cheesy even when role playing tongue.gif

--- --- ---

So using the る (ru) form would just be casual and ます (masu) formal, right? For example:

・ あの黒ねこ可愛いと思う (Ano kuro neko kawaii to omou / I think that black cat's cute)・Casual

・ 僕があの黒ねこは可愛いと思います (Boku ga ano kuro neko wa kawaii to omoimasu / I think that black cat's cute)・Polite

Or would you word both of those sentences (Casual & Polite) differently? unsure.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 15 2017, 05:39 PM

ShiMACHaze

Nope, you got it. The dictionary form of a verb is informal (taberu, da, suru, kotaeru, etc) whereas the formal conjugation is -masu (tabemasu, desu, shimasu, kotaemasu, etc).
APX
Posted: May 15 2017, 06:39 PM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

Was nice and chilly today, was it like that over there where you were at Nomake? Did it sprinkle dinkle?
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 15 2017, 07:05 PM

ShiMACHaze

It tinkle-tinkled a wittle bit while I was at work, yeah. Mostly just sat there being grey and chilly though.
umustwait101
Posted: May 15 2017, 07:23 PM

Osaka-kun

Member No.: 45,912

QUOTE (xiao @ 4 hours, 1 minutes ago)
Woah!Thank you for the feedback guys happy.gif

His tone of voice was more like a mom correcting her son, rather than scolding my baka gaijin lingo. So I'm guessing he meant to try & save me future embarrassment. I just had a slight doubt if using the る (ru) form would change the literal meaning of the sentence, rather than make it polite or casual.

It's happened to me before where I said the following to a fellow student:

Then our Japanese teacher slapped me with the proverbial harisen correcting me to say it like:

しかしだが!(shikashi daga! / nonetheless!) my old Japanese teacher would always slap me silly for not using でも (demo / polite form of but) And now that I'm trying to be all girly and trap & shiz... maybe I should start talking like Piro from MegaTokyo & be all cute だもん! (damon! / girly form of dayo!)

Somehow I think the IQ of this thread was raised ever so slightly today... BUT I still think that thing looks like a Charger tho! derp.gif

<a href='http://imgur.com/iuml4IR.jpg' target='_blank'>http://imgur.com/iuml4IR.jpg </a>Image size reduced, original size: 735 x 550. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Your naughty body needs to be slapped. shifty2.gif I like your random "dayo"s tho. It's part of the xiao charm. #nohomo

Good job with raising the IQ of this thread. I shall assimilate it.

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 9 minutes, 19 seconds ago)
It tinkle-tinkled a wittle bit while I was at work, yeah. Mostly just sat there being grey and chilly though.

1+ to "Would ya answer yer question?" That made me laugh.

Never know what I might stumble upon in IDW... sometimes it's traps, sometimes #nohomo, sometimes very homo... sometimes actual car talk, and sometimes educational lessons in Japanese.

I guess this thread is appropriately named, to say the least.

This post has been edited by umustwait101 on May 15 2017, 07:24 PM
Tessou
  Posted: May 15 2017, 10:36 PM

DRAKARYS
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

There's a reason it has the most site traffic. wink2.gif
APX
Posted: May 16 2017, 12:00 AM

Strawberries and cream shall be made tomorrow (Today)!!! Been craving something sweet and fresh. biggrin.gif
Posted: May 16 2017, 09:08 AM

39-54-369

Member No.: 16,670

so ive seen almost all of the eps of Mahou Neko Pansu. only the movie and the BW OVA. strike witches was more on the fan service side. it had some intrigue with the enemy which could've lead to some interesting alliance between nerois and humans. too bad they didnt try explore that more but all the good parts were revealed in that series leaving none in brave witches. i didnt see the SW movie but the wikipedia blurb said more than enough.

Brave witches was more of a serious series with less fan service and slightly different take on a very similar formula. overall the 2 series come up to be decent-good series for various reasons that balance out to be equal. i did hope they'd take this witch form neuroi a bit further in BW but they just couldnt do so. sadly there was no intrigue in BW that got my interest. imo SW probably edged out BW a bit more to get the higher marks.

This post has been edited by 207 on May 16 2017, 09:09 AM
Tessou
  Posted: May 19 2017, 09:16 PM

DRAKARYS
Group Icon

Tiburon came out of the shop on Monday. Tiburon went back in on Friday.

Still needs work on the front suspension. Brake rotors are rusted, need replaced. Speedo and odo just stopped working for no reason, apparently a common post-warranty issue on these cars. I've put a small fortune into this car and don't want it to die, despite the multitude of occasions where things have fallen off of it, stopped working, or otherwise fucked me over. There's a good car in there. I'm starting to see it again, faintly.
umustwait101
Posted: May 19 2017, 10:44 PM

Osaka-kun

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 28 minutes ago)
Tiburon came out of the shop on Monday. Tiburon went back in on Friday.

Still needs work on the front suspension. Brake rotors are rusted, need replaced. Speedo and odo just stopped working for no reason, apparently a common post-warranty issue on these cars. I've put a small fortune into this car and don't want it to die, despite the multitude of occasions where things have fallen off of it, stopped working, or otherwise fucked me over. There's a good car in there. I'm starting to see it again, faintly.

It's a TRAP! Don't do it! Get out! Mission abort! Mission abort!
APX
Posted: May 19 2017, 11:12 PM

Happy birthday to my mom and my niece today. biggrin.gif

Gonna be a busy weekend.
Tessou
  Posted: May 20 2017, 03:25 PM

DRAKARYS
Group Icon

QUOTE (umustwait101 @ Today, 2:44 AM)
It's a TRAP! Don't do it! Get out! Mission abort! Mission abort!

You'd understand if you drove the car. Common malady for Tib owners.
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 20 2017, 04:23 PM

ShiMACHaze

I imagine that's probably like replacing a steering rack on a Mercury Capri. It's just a thing you have to do because the design of the car had a flaw they didn't forsee during production. Even if you baby it, you're only prolonging how long it will be before you run into the problem.

I get that. If you love the car I also get biting the bullet and fixing expensive flaws like that. I'd rag on you for dumping money into a shitty Hyundai but as of late I've been seriously considering importing an SVX and those literally have a factory flaw which causes them to overheat during sustained high-RPM driving so... awesome.gif
Tessou
  Posted: May 20 2017, 04:26 PM

DRAKARYS
Group Icon

My next project is a car that has high potential for steering issues. sad.gif

EDIT: There is no such thing as a non-shitty Hyundai. You can just say Hyundai and I'll know.

This post has been edited by Tessou on May 20 2017, 04:29 PM
umustwait101
Posted: May 20 2017, 04:34 PM

Osaka-kun

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 10 minutes, 17 seconds ago)
I imagine that's probably like replacing a steering rack on a Mercury Capri. It's just a thing you have to do because the design of the car had a flaw they didn't forsee during production. Even if you baby it, you're only prolonging how long it will be before you run into the problem.

I get that. If you love the car I also get biting the bullet and fixing expensive flaws like that. I'd rag on you for dumping money into a shitty Hyundai but as of late I've been seriously considering importing an SVX and those literally have a factory flaw which causes them to overheat during sustained high-RPM driving so... awesome.gif

The only car (in my humble opinion) worthy of such treatment is a RX-(7|8).

Even then... there's a limit to my limited love. Maybe it's what love is... it's why people end up broke and miserable if they fall in love with the wrong person (or car). Don't let that happen to you!
Tessou
  Posted: May 20 2017, 09:15 PM

DRAKARYS
Group Icon

QUOTE (umustwait101 @ 4 hours, 41 minutes ago)
The only car (in my humble opinion) worthy of such treatment is a RX-(7|8).

+ most muscle cars, most corvettes, most Mk1/2 GTIs, tons of other VWs, etc.
umustwait101
Posted: May 20 2017, 10:57 PM

Osaka-kun

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 42 minutes ago)
+ most muscle cars, most corvettes, most Mk1/2 GTIs, tons of other VWs, etc.

But they all have very similar setups. RX-7/8 is a bit more differentiated due to the rotary engine.
Tessou
  Posted: May 20 2017, 10:58 PM

DRAKARYS
Group Icon

So is the RX-3. And the REPU. And every other rotary car ever built.
Spaz
Posted: May 21 2017, 07:40 AM

I just wanna go fast
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Evos and t-cases, another example. Or 92.5-96 DSMs and Evo 4s for eating bottom end thrust bearings (crankwalk). Or STis for ringland failures.

I have over 300 launches on the stock driveline in my IX. It's not an if, it's a when that I start hearing that telltale whine.
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 21 2017, 08:17 AM

ShiMACHaze

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 750 x 600. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Ah man, thanks memes from 2005. laugh2.gif
Posted: May 21 2017, 11:13 AM

39-54-369

Member No.: 16,670

anyone here follow the Doctor Who series? i must say im not the biggest or most enthusiastic fan of the series. it doesnt have too much action going for it as compared to other scifi series ie Stargate, Star Trek but i do mostly enjoy the DW series for the more intellectual???/story driven nature of the series. i do find the series campy in nature and how he finds a relatively peaceful solution to most of the problems.

though the new season has floundered somewhere between MEH and boring so far. it seems the PC dogs have made a home in the series and that is ok in certain areas. so far the eps have left me with sense that they weren't well written for those who want to see more action/fighting. that emogi ep was pretty damn horrid and a very frightening future IMO. id rather not see that come about or atleast expired before i ever made it to the colony to see them.
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 21 2017, 03:41 PM

ShiMACHaze

The whole point of Doctor Who is to make you think. I've been following it since ninth doctor and have continued to enjoy myself. There are weak episodes and spectacular episodes, sure, but the series as a whole hasn't lost me. This season I quite liked the emoji and mining station episodes, and the great character comeback that's about to happen is pretty hype too.

So yeah, still liking it over here.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Tessou
  Posted: May 21 2017, 05:17 PM

DRAKARYS
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 1 hour, 35 minutes ago)
...There are weak episodes and spectacular episodes, sure, but the series as a whole hasn't lost me.

Majority of Eleventh Doctor's first season were incredibly weak. Those ones really stand out as "watch once, then never again". Try watching The Beast Below and not vomiting. Thankfully it picked itself up, and the finale to that season was a 9/10. I haven't seen too much of the Twelfth. Just haven't gotten around to it. I saw his first season and a bit of the next.

I grew up with the classic series on PBS, so I tend to scoff at the new stuff unless it's a particularly good episode. I think they had a really good run with Tennant.

408 Pages  « 377 378 379 380 381 »