Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - ON THE SPEEEEEDWAY

Important Rules
• Please use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread will result in a verbal warning.
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Post your requests in the pinned threads. If your request does not belong to any existent pinned threads, please start a new topic.
• Please use Post Icons when starting new topics, to state the purpose of your topic and to have a better visual classification.

NEW RELEASES: Super Eurobeat 221 (23 January 2013), Super Eurobeat Presents Initial D Fifth Stage D Selection (08 February 2013), Super Eurobeat Presents Initial D Fifth Stage D Non-Stop Selection (08 March 2013), Initial D Fifth Stage Sound File (08 March 2013), Super Eurobeat 222 (20 March 2013)

Special Link(s): EUROBEAT.go2id (SEB Album Collection Site) (New Site), Revive Music Section (Donation Tracker)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

5 Pages  1 2 3 4 5  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 16,078  ·  Replies: 123 
> The Eurobeat Scanning Project, Read the guidelines & feel free to participate!
xiao
Posted: Jul 10 2016, 11:43 AM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ 11 minutes, 54 seconds ago)
There's an hair on "Disc 1.bmp" btw. lol

... XD!

Yeps, I'll get around to re-doing the discs, currently doing Jewelry. I wanna scan 'em all so I can finally do that WLTP Collection Thread™ cause the old one is dead & lol Avex totally gave up on Hyper Techno + the WLTP anthology. I'm re-rip'ing & scanning everything, so it can have the logs et al... proper enough for K1RZA to make a Hyper Techno folder on his server. awesome.gif ☆彡
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
kyonpalm
Posted: Jul 10 2016, 12:34 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ 3 hours, 40 minutes ago)
http://i.imgur.com/zNasOty.jpg

EDIT

...comparing:
http://i.imgur.com/2BCS88g.jpg

I'd take the second over the first since there's way less dust.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Sensation!
Posted: Jul 10 2016, 12:36 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

There's dirt, dust and, hair on the CD's.
That's 100% unacceptable when presenting a physical product in the professional world. Items should be 100% free of debris.

What have I told you everyone, how hard is it to wipe your CD's and scanningbed before you scan them!

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif derp.gif

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Jul 10 2016, 12:44 PM
kyonpalm
Posted: Jul 10 2016, 12:40 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

This whole thread is like What.cd on crack.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
xiao
Posted: Jul 10 2016, 12:55 PM

moon bunny

This post has been edited by xiao on Jul 21 2016, 09:56 AM
Lebon14
  Posted: Jul 10 2016, 01:27 PM

🎧

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 18,005

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 52 minutes, 43 seconds ago)
I'd take the second over the first since there's way less dust.

Heh. That's why I hate black. Unless you have a dust free house (which is impossible), you can't get perfect black scans. Imo, I prefer seeing dust and hairs over edited content.

Btw, What.CD doesn't have rules over scans. So, yeah. It's entirely up to you. Just FYI.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
xiao
Posted: Jul 10 2016, 01:33 PM

moon bunny

This post has been edited by xiao on Jul 21 2016, 09:56 AM
Lebon14
  Posted: Jul 10 2016, 02:15 PM

🎧

QUOTE (xiao @ 41 minutes, 58 seconds ago)
Black? This scan isn't black...?? unsure.gif?

http://i.imgur.com/ELymstx.png

Two things:
1. I talked about my 238 scan.
2. I talked about the inner black ring and how it makes any debris visible.
xiao
Posted: Jul 12 2016, 07:04 AM

moon bunny

This post has been edited by xiao on Jul 21 2016, 09:55 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 14 2016, 12:44 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ Jul 10 2016, 01:27 PM)
Heh. That's why I hate black.

Holy shit I cannot even handle this bigotry right now, what the FUCK. mad.gif
Lebon14
  Posted: Jul 14 2016, 04:51 AM

🎧

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 4 hours, 7 minutes ago)
Holy shit I cannot even handle this bigotry right now, what the FUCK. mad.gif

facepalm.gif
That's my reaction.
xiao
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 04:07 AM

moon bunny

Lebon14
  Posted: Jul 18 2016, 04:32 AM

🎧

I declare you a very bad scanner, xiao. No matter how much you scan the CDs, you can't stop editing them more than they need to.
xiao
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 05:24 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ 51 minutes, 33 seconds ago)
I declare you a very bad scanner, xiao. No matter how much you scan the CDs, you can't stop editing them more than they need to.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 4032 x 2268. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

XD
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 05:49 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ 1 hour, 16 minutes ago)

Hi, I'm an actual scanner and you're on crack. I downloaded his scan of Juliana's Toho 1 and checked through it. The one fault I can find is that he didn't descreen the scan, instead choosing to leave the scan at 600 dpi. I personally would never do this--I'd run the scan through a gaussian blur of radius 5, downscale, then unsharp mask to try to restore a little detail--because I hate moire with a passion, but I can understand why someone would want to. Whether it's for 'purity' (even though your eye cannot perceive the moire thus making a moire scan 'impure' anyway) or simply on the merit of your scanner lacking a descreen filter and being unable to scan at 1200dpi while being asked to provide a 600dpi minimum scan, there are reasons to leave scans like this.

However, aside from the moire, I can see nothing wrong with his scans. Would you care to try again? I can always provide my scanning portfolio as credentials if you're so inclined to question them. happy.gif
Tessou
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 07:24 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

There is a looooooooooong history of conversations between Lebon and Xiao that fleshes out the superfight over these scans.

One of these people is fucking batshit crazy. The other is trolling. Take your pick.

Love you, Xiao, but god damn, you're going to hell for what you're doing. laugh.gif
xiao
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 08:12 AM

moon bunny

Lebon14
  Posted: Jul 18 2016, 09:12 AM

🎧

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 3 hours, 23 minutes ago)
However, aside from the moire, I can see nothing wrong with his scans. Would you care to try again? I can always provide my scanning portfolio as credentials if you're so inclined to question them. happy.gif

The only that's really bad imo are the discs. I could understand the extra steps in order to descreen and remove moiré but removing the shadows around is just a big no. It looks so bad. I've tried to tell him 100 times already, he just doesn't listen. It's that SINGLE thing. And he's the only one doing this. From all the scans that were included in downloads, that I downloaded, I never saw this. Never. Because it doesn't look natural or good.

Not even takumi333 does this. And he's quality centered too.

And I'm not trolling, it's just that I want a minimum of quality and usuing the Magic Wand Tool for this is not a sign of quality.
xiao
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 10:19 AM

moon bunny

It's easier to rotate & align if you just cut the circumference of a disc, instead of the whole picture & crop since it uses more RAM. I really don't see the importance of shadows tho~ unsure.gif??

Solid white background vs. grainy textured shadows. I can keep the background transparent too for all the PNG purists.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 10:23 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ 1 hour, 10 minutes ago)
The only that's really bad imo are the discs.

Okay, so we're ignoring everything except the discs. All right, then here we go. The disc scans for the same one--Juliana 1--look perfectly fine. The only complaint I would have, as a scanner, is that the scanbed was not cleaned properly prior to scanning. There are hairs present which, barring cleaning the scanbed and doing it over, could be removed through careful application of healing tools. It's still better to get the scan right the first time, but if there's a speck of dust or something that can be post-processed out. I do it all the time for minor imperfections in my doujinshi scans and, funny, no one seems to notice.

You also claim that you have never seen anything like this ever. Well, kiddo, I've got his scan open in GIMP, and I picked a random rip from my old hard drive that included scans of the disc. Ya ready for this?

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 1024. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

The scan is from "Omokage Warp" by nano.RIPE, in case you were curious, and you can click the image above to be taken to a sendspace link where you can download the full comparison image. I think anyone with eyes in their skull that have optical nerves connecting said eyes to a functioning brain can see that Xiao's scan of the disc is infinitely superior despite the scans sharing the same resolution (I actually had to scale Xiao's down by only 10px to fix the scan for Omokage Warp). I have plenty more examples of disc scans showing similar results. Now, is there more Xiao could do? Sure! Again there's the whole screening issue, and he could've been a little more aggressive about removing hairs and such (though, again, the best way is to just clean your damn scanbed and retake the scan). However, clarity-wise, it's still superior.

So, your claim that 'no one does (anything that makes the disc scan look subjectively bad to you)' is false, and your claim that his scan is bad is false. Is there anything else you'd like to bring to the table? How about some objective facts and evidence? 'Cause from where I'm sitting, you're full of shit right now.

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Jul 18 2016, 10:24 AM
Lebon14
  Posted: Jul 18 2016, 11:28 AM

🎧

QUOTE (xiao @ 1 hour, 7 minutes ago)
It's easier to rotate & align if you just cut the circumference of a disc, instead of the whole picture & crop since it uses more RAM. I really don't see the importance of shadows tho~ unsure.gif??

Solid white background vs. grainy textured shadows. I can keep the background transparent too for all the PNG purists.

You are telling me that you are doing that simply it uses a lot of RAM? If you told me that 15 years ago, I would have said "OK". But today, it's irrevelent. We have, what? 6-8GB of RAM? 16 even? And what if GIMP or Photoshop use 2 of it while you work? It won't slow the rest of the computer, You might have 4GB left for doing any other task you are doing. If it's because it lags while you are doing the operations, it's because of your CPU mostly. It does that too on my side and I don't fret on it.

As for the use, I repeat. The shadows make it look more natural. As for the grains/noise, if we see some on the outside, just remember that the outside is not the target of the picture. The disc is.

As for N1... One last try to make my point. If nobody understands this, I'm closing shop.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1515 x 1012. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1665 x 1015. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

It's not the center of the CD (ie. artwork). It's the edges. If you don't see that there are remnants of the shdows around the discs and jagged edges. I don't know what will. This is zoomed at 100%.

Oh and why the fuck not... let's make it clearer...
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1684 x 1037. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1685 x 1039. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

And then, if I don't make my point, I don't know what will. Oh and be sure to enlarge.

EDIT

Just to make sure: The last two screens are both his scans. One is the PNG from the MEGA folder, the other is when I request him to rescan it and sent me the BMPs. FYI.

This post has been edited by Lebon14 on Jul 18 2016, 12:54 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 01:51 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ 2 hours, 22 minutes ago)
You are telling me that you are doing that simply it uses a lot of RAM? If you told me that 15 years ago, I would have said "OK". But today, it's irrevelent. We have, what? 6-8GB of RAM? 16 even? And what if GIMP or Photoshop use 2 of it while you work? It won't slow the rest of the computer, You might have 4GB left for doing any other task you are doing. If it's because it lags while you are doing the operations, it's because of your CPU mostly. It does that too on my side and I don't fret on it.

As for the use, I repeat. The shadows make it look more natural. As for the grains/noise, if we see some on the outside, just remember that the outside is not the target of the picture. The disc is.

As for N1... One last try to make my point. If nobody understands this, I'm closing shop.

I have a 16GB system, and running photoshop with a high-resolution image with various working layers will push my system right up to the edge. I have actually had my browser (which usually uses ~1-2GB of RAM on its own) be forcefully exited so that Photoshop can use its RAM so as not to lose work. I'm thankful that Photoshop is now 64-bit code and can so resourcefully prevent lost work, but I sure would like a warning or something first. Ah well, beggars can't be choosers I suppose. Short version, don't tell me that Photoshop only uses 2GB. Maybe back in the days of 32-bit Windows XP it did, but nowadays we have much larger workflows thanks to 64-bit microcode.

As for your argument, holy shit I cannot believe you're making it. So much so that I bolded the part of your statement where it appears even you can't believe you're making such a nonsensical argument. The disc itself is the target. The art on the disc is the target. A disc is just a coaster much like a page is just a piece of paper. The art on it, however, is what's critical--and these scans nail it. To suggest that the stupid shadow on the edges which is wholly irrelevant to the artwork is somehow of a magical grandiose importance is the epitome of hilarity. It'd be like someone coming into my doujinshi scans and going, "Hey, asshole, stop cropping the damn pages and fixing that ~1 degree of tilt! Why can't you just scan everything at 600dpi and not do any editing at all!?"

You cannot be serious, Lebon. Please either tell me this has been one grand joke or close up shop like you promised.

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Jul 18 2016, 01:52 PM
Lebon14
  Posted: Jul 18 2016, 02:06 PM

🎧

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 15 minutes, 6 seconds ago)
I have a 16GB system, and running photoshop with a high-resolution image with various working layers will push my system right up to the edge. I have actually had my browser (which usually uses ~1-2GB of RAM on its own) be forcefully exited so that Photoshop can use its RAM so as not to lose work. I'm thankful that Photoshop is now 64-bit code and can so resourcefully prevent lost work, but I sure would like a warning or something first. Ah well, beggars can't be choosers I suppose. Short version, don't tell me that Photoshop only uses 2GB. Maybe back in the days of 32-bit Windows XP it did, but nowadays we have much larger workflows thanks to 64-bit microcode.

As for your argument, holy shit I cannot believe you're making it. So much so that I bolded the part of your statement where it appears even you can't believe you're making such a nonsensical argument. The disc itself is the target. The art on the disc is the target. A disc is just a coaster much like a page is just a piece of paper. The art on it, however, is what's critical--and these scans nail it. To suggest that the stupid shadow on the edges which is wholly irrelevant to the artwork is somehow of a magical grandiose importance is the epitome of hilarity. It'd be like someone coming into my doujinshi scans and going, "Hey, asshole, stop cropping the damn pages and fixing that ~1 degree of tilt! Why can't you just scan everything at 600dpi and not do any editing at all!?"

You cannot be serious, Lebon. Please either tell me this has been one grand joke or close up shop like you promised.

1. Yes, I can understand that if you are working severall extremely hi-res pictures. I know the feel. Except that here we have a single image that needs cropping and rotating. There's no special effects. So, this argument is not a good one on computers today and I know for a fact that xiao's PC is not that old. In fact, it's more recent than mine.

2. Err... I think you misunderstood? I was talking of the white/grey areas around the disc. If there's artifacts there, it's less of an issue if it was say... over the disc's artwork because the artwork is the main subject, not the empty white/grey. Talk about over-reacting. But I'll add that the shadows created by the scanning smooth things out and make it nicer to look at.

EDIT

I'm kind of contradicting on the second point but, to put into perspective: seeing a hair in the middle of the artwork is more "eyes rolling" than finding it in the white/grey areas.

This post has been edited by Lebon14 on Jul 18 2016, 02:44 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 02:44 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ 38 minutes, 0 seconds ago)
2. Err... I think you misunderstood? I was talking of the white/grey areas around the disc. If there's artifacts there, it's less of an issue if it was say... over the disc's artwork because the artwork is the main subject, not the empty white/grey. Talk about over-reacting. But I'll add that the shadows created by the scanning smooth things out and make it nicer to look at.

EDIT

I'm kind of contradicting on the second point but, to put into perspective: seeing a hair in the middle of the artwork is more "eyes rolling" than finding it in the white/grey areas.

So, what is your point, then? It seemed that you were making a mountain out of a molehill over the outer edges of a CD where no artwork is present. You seem to say that at the start here, but then you go ahead and try to say that it's all about the artwork.

I have no idea what your point is anymore, and in fact am led to believe that in order to not look like a complete fool you have given up trying to defend whatever it used to be now that you're faced with someone who actually knows what they're talking about rather than someone who rolls over just because you breathed in his direction.

Please, feel free to prove me wrong. Tell me clearly what your point is. Tell me clearly what your evidence is. Either that, or, as before...time to close up shop.
xiao
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 03:13 PM

moon bunny

I can also just upload the BMP scans with no editing...

With alt accounts, Mega is no longer an issue! awesome.gif ☆彡

Google Fiber is GOD!! (I don't have it yet thoー orz)

5 Pages  1 2 3 4 5