Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Chilu - Feel Like a Queen

Important Rules
Post everything about Initial D Arcade Stage 6 AA and 7 AAX here. If you want to talk about ver.1 and ver.2, please post them in the ver.1 - 2 section. For anything about ver.3, please post them in the version 3 section. For anything about ver.4, please post them in the version 4 section. For anything about ver.5, please post them in the version 5 section. Participating in flame wars will be severely punished. NO plagiarism in any case. If you are posting information (i.e. - shift points) that did not originate from this forums, by all means, give the author / source proper credit. Violator will be given a verbal warning on first offence and an actual warning thereafter.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 3,044  ·  Replies: 11 
> Anyone heard rumors of ID9, im just wondering
N643
  Posted: May 2 2016, 09:33 PM

IDW Prime Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 28,448

i live in china now & we dont have id8 officially, but a friend of mine that works in wahlap told me that they are skipping id8 for id9

they have plan to release it this summer with mt5dx (they will be skipping mt5 as well), not sure if anyone else has heard this rumor (very rare that china would get things on the same release date as the rest of the world)
holnivek
Posted: May 2 2016, 11:18 PM

IDW God Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 46,366

Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, as Sega seems to release a new version of IDAS every couple years.

What I'm more interested to know is whether a console release is happening. Like, seriously, it's been 8 years since IDES. I can't be the only one wishing for a console release. I don't even care if it's as awful as IDES/ID4, but at least give us something Sega. sad.gif
SonicSP
Posted: May 2 2016, 11:48 PM

Nagao Fanboy

Member No.: 36,182

There are some D8 machines in China, but these are the EXP version I believe like the rest of us as opposed to the localized Chinese version like they did for D6/D7. Still there are not that many - in fact there are only two of them which is next to nothing in a country as big as China.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1200 x 871. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

No rumors about D9 that we know about over here. The Japanese arcade industry is not doing too well right now. Back in February Namco announced that they were going to stop releasing new arcade games temporarily because of low sales. I looked at their financial statement at the time and their arcade hardware sales had a pretty bad decline. Namco is generally a good arcade company so if they say things are bad, it probabaly really is bad. Only time will tell I guess.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they will no D9 but it does mean that the arcade industry over there is a little bit shaky at the moment so it's hard to know what will happen. Sega themselves are in financial trouble at the moment so that makes the situation a bit harder to predict.

Japan's economy isn't doing that well either as it continues its long stagnation. More relevant to the arcade industry specifically though is that mobile games, which is huge in Japan might be eating into the arcade revenues.

QUOTE (holnivek @ 19 minutes, 12 seconds ago)
Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, as Sega seems to release a new version of IDAS every couple years.

What I'm more interested to know is whether a console release is happening. Like, seriously, it's been 8 years since IDES. I can't be the only one wishing for a console release. I don't even care if it's as awful as IDES/ID4, but at least give us something Sega.  sad.gif

Yeah that's extremely unlikely to happen and the reason is because Sega has to placate the arcade operators which are really important partners. If the games are available at home, there would be less reasons to go to arcades and play them. Even the expectation of an impending console release might be problematic even if the release is delayed.

Besides, Sega makes more money from the arcades and gets a decent revenue share. Registrating All.Net requires the arcade to pay not only a monthly fee but Sega gets a small cut for each game you play on an online machine and this is ultimately more profitable for them.

The other reason I think, is because there isn't enough demand in the console version. When they release a console version, it is ultimately not good for arcade operators. If the demand for the console version isn't that high, it might not be worth it to risk their relationship with the arcades. This is why I think some arcade games (mainly fighting games) get releases while others don't. Fighting games also translate better to console controllers than racing games which means they tend to be recorded better. Even Wangan hasn't received a console version in ages despite the fact that Namco releases popular arcade games like Tekken or Gundam vs Gundam on a regular basis once in a awhile.

For what it's worth they did release a ID rythm game for Japan 3DS. lol But that's not what we want......

This post has been edited by SonicSP on May 3 2016, 12:38 AM
holnivek
Posted: May 3 2016, 12:36 AM

IDW God Member

If the arcade industry isn't doing too well in general, isn't it smarter for Sega to release a console version?

I remember there were still a lot of people playing at the arcade even when we had Special Stage and Street Stage. Back then I think the console version complemented the arcade pretty well, since people can practice on their console and battle real players at the arcade.

Of course, online battle wasn't really a thing back then, so I can see how a console release now can hurt their sales/revenue, since console games today almost always come with online multiplayer functionality. However, currently there aren't too many great racing games on PS4. You can argue that a console release will help Sega draw revenue from a different source: casual racing game players who don't usually go to the arcade. I'm sure casual players will appreciate a good racing game, even if they're not an ID fan.
SonicSP
Posted: May 3 2016, 12:58 AM

Nagao Fanboy

Yes but the problem is consoles aren't doing that great either over there Mobile games are really all the rage these days in Japan. Console games also don't provide as good continuos revenue and I assume Sega gets decent margins when they sell new machines/upgrade kits to arcades when a new version comes out.

There are some players who will buy both but ultimately it's a matter of cost to the user. Personally for me, I will still go to the arcades even if there is a console version, but the fact that there is a console version means I don't have to spend as much over at the arcade especially if money is tight.

Remember that in addition to the monthly fee, Sega gets a small cut for every game played on an online machine and that includes offline modes like Time Attack and Story Mode. All that adds up over time and is continuos. By contrast, for a console version they will get that once. On the lifespan of an Initial D game over two years, some of the money that you would have spent on the arcade get cannabalized by playing at home where you can play as much as you want with no variable cost.

That also provides pressure to their monthly All.Net subscriptions that arcades pay them since users at home are not going to pay Sega specifically a fee every month for being able to play online. (especially not since they are already paying money to Sony for the PS+ subscription needed to play online on PS4)

In addition, Initial D as an IP isn't as generally popular as it was like in the old days so releasing a game console version is not going to attract too many casual fans that would not have played the game in the arcades. In fact, as a game Initial D Arcade Stage is fairly off putting to some people because it has a pretty high learning curve and one that resets every new version and forces you to relearn a lot of things. These may also one of its big draw points to those of us who like it but unfortunately it's also limits its appeal. Because it's a more narrow fanbase, there is less to be gained for a casual release. I don't think the arcade style racing games in general are as big as the used be either even if they are some super popular titles out there like Mario Kart who are more well known casual fanbases.

Ultimately, the case for a console version can only be justified by numbers (which we don't have) and Sega based on their internal numbers decided that it wasn't worth the effort or risk. Even Namco doesn't make Wangan console games anymore for whatever and that is a series that is more popular than IDAS at the arcades. Unfortunately, arcade racing games getting a console port is not a thing anymore. The only exception I can think of would be Mario Kart, but even then it can be argued that it's a console series getting an arcade port rather than the other way around.

This post has been edited by SonicSP on May 3 2016, 06:03 AM
holnivek
Posted: May 3 2016, 07:51 PM

IDW God Member

Good point, totally ignored the fact that Sega gets revenue per game played.
N643
  Posted: May 3 2016, 08:39 PM

IDW Prime Member

D8 is in china, its located in shanghai and nanjing

there is only 2 machines in china period, not sure if they are online or not (i was going to buy S8 rank D8 card from a TMR member but decided to ditch it)

D9 i heard was going to be an officially version (aka china version just like d6/7)
SonicSP
Posted: May 3 2016, 09:22 PM

Nagao Fanboy

QUOTE (N643 @ 43 minutes, 5 seconds ago)
D8 is in china, its located in shanghai and nanjing

there is only 2 machines in china period, not sure if they are online or not (i was going to buy S8 rank D8 card from a TMR member but decided to ditch it)

D9 i heard was going to be an officially version (aka china version just like d6/7)

There are two D8 machines in Macau that are online according to Sega's official website. I met one the other day in Online Battle, which is where I took picture. The others should be offline since it's not listed there on the page.

Hard to say about D9, there are no rumors that I heard about D9 but some of us are expecting an annoucement around June - if it's going to happen anytime soon because August would be around two years since D8 was released in arcades.

This post has been edited by SonicSP on May 3 2016, 09:32 PM
Akii
Posted: May 4 2016, 05:05 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 34,416

There was at one point Kenji Arai announced on Twiiter that he was starting development to port D6 for PS4.

Which turned out to be a joke from him. Needless to say, people were pissed and frustrated (me included).

I do think that he wants to port any version of the current IDAS games over to consoles. Just that SEGA isn't giving any greenlighting for any project of sorts.
N643
  Posted: May 4 2016, 08:50 AM

IDW Prime Member

QUOTE (SonicSP @ Yesterday, 9:22 PM)

There are two D8 machines in Macau that are online according to Sega's official website. I met one the other day in Online Battle, which is where I took picture. The others should be offline since it's not listed there on the page.

Hard to say about D9, there are no rumors that I heard about D9 but some of us are expecting an annoucement around June - if it's going to happen anytime soon because August would be around two years since D8 was released in arcades.

macau doesnt count as china, just like hk lol

no.wonder D8 was dropped by sega china and wahlap, they couldnt get china a server and they didnt bother to make a private server
-=SHINN=-
Posted: May 4 2016, 03:22 PM

MYS Retired Perfectionist Racer

Member No.: 37,532

Possibly the private D7 server did not bring them revenue to convince them to do the same for D8. To develop a game entirely into another different language cost them quite a bit also, so it is not easy for them to make up this decision.
SonicSP
Posted: May 4 2016, 08:28 PM

Nagao Fanboy

QUOTE (N643 @ Today, 8:50 AM)
macau doesnt count as china, just like hk lol

no.wonder D8 was dropped by sega china and wahlap, they couldnt get china a server and they didnt bother to make a private server

Probabaly not I guess, but Sega for some reason classifies it like that for some reason which is why I went with it for this discussion.

This post has been edited by SonicSP on May 4 2016, 10:59 PM