Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 11 unique listeners, playing Mood Music

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

447 Pages  « 428 429 430 431 432 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 536,883  ·  Replies: 11,163 
> Random Thoughts
umustwait101
Posted: Aug 9 2018, 07:55 AM

Osaka-kun

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 45,912

QUOTE (Nerubian @ Yesterday, 1:00 PM)
I'm excited about this sexy thing. awesome.gif (Though, I surely will never own this)

If it makes you feel better, few people ever will.

But, in 10 years, you might own something better for much cheaper.
Nerubian
Posted: Aug 9 2018, 12:52 PM

Living in the woods when it's raining in the dark.

Member No.: 36,931

QUOTE (umustwait101 @ 4 hours, 56 minutes ago)
If it makes you feel better, few people ever will.

But, in 10 years, you might own something better for much cheaper.

Like those holographic displays all the cool people in a high-tech future have?
MidnightViper88
Posted: Aug 9 2018, 05:42 PM

Ballistic heartbreak

Member No.: 1,034

Anyone live in the Louisville, KY area? No? Just me? Okay.

Someone just posted their 1992 Skyline GT-R for sale on Facebook Marketplace. $30k. Grey with extensive mods, but slight brain problems as an auto.

I already spent $10.5k in a 2005 Mustang GT and I'm in the process of restromodding my 1993 Mustang LX 2.3. Maybe I'll let the bank own an R-32 for me.
APX
Posted: Aug 10 2018, 01:31 AM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

Mustangs are everywhere, get yourself a Skyline.

Now.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 10 2018, 05:41 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (MidnightViper88 @ Yesterday, 5:42 PM)
Anyone live in the Louisville, KY area? No? Just me? Okay.

Someone just posted their 1992 Skyline GT-R for sale on Facebook Marketplace. $30k. Grey with extensive mods, but slight brain problems as an auto.

>GT-R
>auto
Pick one. No, seriously; the GT-R was never sold as an automatic, so either it's not an auto or it's not a GT-R.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Tessou
  Posted: Aug 10 2018, 08:25 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Unless one of those "extensive mods" was a transmission swap. Maybe the guy was trying to build a drag car.
MidnightViper88
Posted: Aug 10 2018, 09:13 AM

Ballistic heartbreak

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today, 9:41 AM)
>GT-R
>auto
Pick one. No, seriously; the GT-R was never sold as an automatic, so either it's not an auto or it's not a GT-R.

Without any interior pictures, I'm more willing to ASSUME that it's just an incorrect listing than it not being a genuine GT-R, now that you mention it. Automatic transmission is automatically (HARHARHAR) checked off when you're listing a car for sale on Facebook Marketplace that you have to manually uncheck if you're listing a manual transmission car, so a moment of HUA may be what's going on.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1099277590230711/
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 11 2018, 07:25 AM

ShiMACHaze

If that's the actual car, then yeah nah, that's definitely a GT-R. laugh2.gif
MidnightViper88
Posted: Aug 12 2018, 10:31 AM

Ballistic heartbreak

Meh. Technically speaking, there's no GT-R badge on the car, so if I've learned anything from the Civics and Grand Prix's with GT-R badges, there's nothing wrong with it NOT being a GT-R. awesome.gif

But srslytho, you could drop a standard Skyline sedan with an RB20 engine in front of me, and I'd still fall in love with it.

This post has been edited by MidnightViper88 on Aug 12 2018, 10:33 AM
Sensation!
Posted: Aug 12 2018, 10:23 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

30k is too much for that, it's kinda junk.
Good news though, it actually is a GT-R
Spaz
Posted: Aug 13 2018, 05:01 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

The body kit looks rough, and rule of thumb, if your engine wasn't built by a big name in the game, you don't get to ask more money because of it. Also that "cage" needs to go ASAP... The bends to get around the dash are nothing but pre-compromised structure that's gonna go wherever it wants in a crash, especially considering the structural metal around it is a tin can already. With 87k miles on the clock too I wouldn't pay a penny over $20k for it.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Posted: Aug 15 2018, 06:00 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

Member No.: 16,670

are there any good books/teaching guide to learn Japanese on your own? im planning to travel to Japan in May 2019 for 12 days including travel time. i got a learning Japanese cd tutorial/lesson hidden somewhere from 2 years ago though its misplaced atm but i didnt throw it away. i got a Japanese for dummies book (cd included) today and i have a commonly used phrases book. i dont expect to learn it all in 8-9 months but i do want to learn sufficient to get by in most situations during travel. taking Japanese lessons isnt a convenient route for me on a bi-weekly irregular shift 1pm to 11 pm so some self study is the better option.

im gonna focus on the commonly used terms/phrases, numbers etc in the short term but im not going to count out learning Kanji and Hiragana. what is the best way to go about learning Japanese thru books and cds? what other useful books should i get to help learn Japanese better?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 16 2018, 06:01 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (207 @ Yesterday, 6:00 PM)
are there any good books/teaching guide to learn Japanese on your own? im planning to travel to Japan in May 2019 for 12 days including travel time. i got a learning Japanese cd tutorial/lesson hidden somewhere from 2 years ago though its misplaced atm but i didnt throw it away. i got a Japanese for dummies book (cd included) today and i have a commonly used phrases book. i dont expect to learn it all in 8-9 months but i do want to learn sufficient to get by in most situations during travel. taking Japanese lessons isnt a convenient route for me on a bi-weekly irregular shift 1pm to 11 pm so some self study is the better option.

im gonna focus on the commonly used terms/phrases, numbers etc in the short term but im not going to count out learning Kanji and Hiragana. what is the best way to go about learning Japanese thru books and cds? what other useful books should i get to help learn Japanese better?
Posted: Aug 16 2018, 08:44 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 2 hours, 43 minutes ago)
https://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=44...dpost&p=1346563

thank you very much, i forgot which thread that was posted originally. i did remember that it was posted somewhere in the off topic area.
Nerubian
  Posted: Aug 18 2018, 05:41 AM

Did you know that you can still remove your own posts and topics as an advanced member, according to the forum guidelines?
Nerubian
Posted: Aug 31 2018, 09:33 AM

And in the meantime, LG shows off the worlds first 8K OLED TV. 33,177,600 pixels spread on 88 inches. Try to imagine how blurry a NTSC or PAL resolution would look on that.
Posted: Sep 1 2018, 02:10 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

where is the best place to start learning Japanese? i got 2 audio learning CD's, a JPN-ENG dictionary, Japanese particle word book, Japanese verb book and a beginner/intermediate work book. is it easier to learn Kanji, hiragana then learn the particle words/verbs or do both at the same time?

This post has been edited by 207 on Sep 2 2018, 01:13 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 4 2018, 08:05 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Nerubian @ Aug 31 2018, 09:33 AM)
And in the meantime, LG shows off the worlds first 8K OLED TV. 33,177,600 pixels spread on 88 inches. Try to imagine how blurry a NTSC or PAL resolution would look on that.

You're misusing terms a little, here. NTSC and PAL aren't resolutions, but considering your argument I'm going to guess you actually meant to refer to the old scanline portions of the NTSC/PAL standard rather than the still-relevant framerate parts.

QUOTE (207 @ Sep 1 2018, 02:10 PM)
where is the best place to start learning Japanese? i got 2 audio learning CD's, a JPN-ENG dictionary, Japanese particle word book, Japanese verb book and a beginner/intermediate work book. is it easier to learn Kanji, hiragana then learn the particle words/verbs or do both at the same time?

You're actually asking a somewhat more complex question than it seems. So I'll break it down into this.

What is your goal with Japanese? If it's to be able to understand, speak, read and write all at once...then your best bet is to take formal classes and use those books as supplementary material to help you along. If, however, you would rather focus on one thing at a time, then the books can come in handy.

Personally, I prioritized understanding over all else. Once I had understanding 'good enough', speaking wasn't too big of a jump. Reading, to be honest, primarily came from playing untranslated voiced eroge (since I could understand what was being spoken and could read along). Writing I ignored until I took formal classes, which most certainly showed.

It all depends on how you want to go about it. I'll warn you that my route took over a decade because it was a hobby, and because I focused on certain aspects of the language rather than trying to learn everything all at once. If you really want to try to do everything, the only valid option is formal instructor-driven courses.
umustwait101
Posted: Sep 4 2018, 08:57 AM

Osaka-kun

Maybe there's just no way to avoid the time commitment. Some things just take time.

Doing it as a hobby at your own pace keeps it fun, so you keep doing it. Taking a class forces you to do it so you make steady progress. But, sometimes, it kills the joy of doing it. I've found that I really fought against learning Chinese back when I was enrolled in Chinese school. It was only afterwards, I would voluntarily pick it up here and there, and it was fun figuring out words, or learning them when reading about them in history, like figuring out wise statements made by famous people.

But, this is just speaking for myself.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 4 2018, 01:06 PM

ShiMACHaze

I don't think there's any way around the time commitment, so yes, I agree with you there. However, I will say that with formal classes being the only way to get all aspects of the language down at once, you have to want to learn the language, badly. The courses will cost you money both in tuition costs and materials costs, and their pacing and quality will depend on the instructor and the course material. There is a rough guideline for levels in Japanese when it comes to educating English-language students, but there's still variability.

What will overcome that variability is the desire of the student. So if you really do want it badly, then do it. That's why I have a degree in it. I wanted to do it.
Posted: Sep 4 2018, 09:52 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 11:05 AM)

You're actually asking a somewhat more complex question than it seems. So I'll break it down into this.

What is your goal with Japanese? If it's to be able to understand, speak, read and write all at once...then your best bet is to take formal classes and use those books as supplementary material to help you along. If, however, you would rather focus on one thing at a time, then the books can come in handy.

Personally, I prioritized understanding over all else. Once I had understanding 'good enough', speaking wasn't too big of a jump. Reading, to be honest, primarily came from playing untranslated voiced eroge (since I could understand what was being spoken and could read along). Writing I ignored until I took formal classes, which most certainly showed.

It all depends on how you want to go about it. I'll warn you that my route took over a decade because it was a hobby, and because I focused on certain aspects of the language rather than trying to learn everything all at once. If you really want to try to do everything, the only valid option is formal instructor-driven courses.

in the end id like to understand and read the language to a good extend but my current goal is to have a passable knowledge. its more to make my way around the language as a tourist that can understand and not rely on translators too much or to a lesser degree. i think speaking is the short term goal to get by with normal common words/conversations with some understanding the the reading language.

id also like the be able to watch the anime vids without subtitles but thats more or an advanced goal when i can understand Japanese better. i can understand commonly used words but not knowing the circumstances the words are being used in is hard to determine at times.

id love to actually have proper formal lessons but my shift 1pm-11pm with a 2 week rotating schedule is rather hard to get courses done as week 1 has different work days as week 2. are there options for a formal course where difficult schedules can be accommodated? a school work day just doesnt fit in well for my case.
xiao
Posted: Sep 5 2018, 12:34 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 3:06 PM)
What will overcome that variability is the desire of the student. So if you really do want it badly, then do it. That's why I have a degree in it. I wanted to do it.

ノマケP!おめでとうございます grin2.gif 🎉
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 6 2018, 04:24 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (207 @ Sep 4 2018, 09:52 PM)
in the end id like to understand and read the language to a good extend but my current goal is to have a passable knowledge. its more to make my way around the language as a tourist that can understand and not rely on translators too much or to a lesser degree. i think speaking is the short term goal to get by with normal common words/conversations with some understanding the the reading language.

id also like the be able to watch the anime vids without subtitles but thats more or an advanced goal when i can understand Japanese better. i can understand commonly used words but not knowing the circumstances the words are being used in is hard to determine at times.

id love to actually have proper formal lessons but my shift 1pm-11pm with a 2 week rotating schedule is rather hard to get courses done as week 1 has different work days as week 2. are there options for a formal course where difficult schedules can be accommodated? a school work day just doesnt fit in well for my case.

If your goal is tourism and watching weeb shit then you don't necessarily need formal classes (though I absolutely positively still recommend them). You can get by by learning the structure of the language thoroughly (verb conjugation, particle words) and then filling in the vocab blanks through...well, watching your weeb shit, and poring over a dictionary.

Reading will require more learning, and should be focused on once you have listening and understanding down so you have a point of comparison. Ignore writing unless you intend to use it (or need to use it, in the case of a graded formal course). For one, computers will do writing for you, and for another, tourism won't really require it and neither will watching weeb shit.

As for specific information about classes, I can't help you there. You need to do that research on your own.

QUOTE (xiao @ Yesterday, 12:34 PM)
ノマケP!おめでとうございます grin2.gif 🎉

いやぁ、二年前の事ですがありがとうございます。 happy.gif
xiao
Posted: Sep 6 2018, 04:41 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today, 6:24 AM)
いやぁ、二年前の事ですがありがとうございます。 happy.gif

でもね、ノマケさんかっこいいですよ!いつの日僕も君のように成りたい…
私もね、日本がめっちゃ好きてつらい ~ ゲームとか音楽とか色々日本物の事はいいね…
ノマケさんが僕の特別な友達なの ~ 私の方こそありがとう ☆

ok ~ back to English laugh.gif
umustwait101
Posted: Sep 6 2018, 09:16 PM

Osaka-kun

No. No more English.

447 Pages  « 428 429 430 431 432 »