Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing Morris - Crazy For Your Love

Important Reminder
• Maximum size limit for signature is 150KB. (153,600 bytes)
• All images must fit within the 600 (width) x 200 (height) dimension limit for your signature.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 35,961  ·  Replies: 35 
> Initial D scene recreation with 3DS Max
PacoChan
  Posted: Aug 11 2012, 05:11 AM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,584

Hi everyone. I decided to recreate a scene from Initial D with 3ds Max, with different camera angles and better graphics. It's the end of AE86 vs AE86 turbo.

I hope you like it smile.gif

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifSmMi4jzUk )
kyonpalm
Posted: Aug 11 2012, 06:04 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

Wha... how did you do that?! That's amazing!! How long did that take to make?!
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Wanderer
Posted: Aug 11 2012, 06:50 AM

The Watcher

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 35,816

That was awesome. I do hope you plan to make more in the future, I'd love to see more.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Tessou
Posted: Aug 11 2012, 06:54 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

The graphics are indeed great. However, I spotted some issues:

- The AE86T is not sliding through the corner as it was in the original. Why did you switch it to look like it wasn't drifting?

- The AE86 is bouncing WAY too much on the gravel. Unless he was driving on jagged rocks, it wouldn't bounce that much.

- The speed of the cars is too fast. To make it look like Initial D, you have to slow it down a bit. Remember, you're depicting the AE86 getting a slight advantage due to a better line, not magically gaining twin turbo. laugh.gif

Just nitpicks. Take them as you will. On the whole, I think you did an amazing job with this, and look forward to seeing what else you can create. smile.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Möbius
Posted: Aug 11 2012, 06:54 AM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

Not too shabby, how long did that take? smile.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Spaz
Posted: Aug 11 2012, 07:59 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Very nice, sir.

3DS Max is pretty powerful, but I too want to know, how many hours?
PacoChan
  Posted: Aug 11 2012, 08:56 AM

IDW Member

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 59 minutes ago)
The graphics are indeed great. However, I spotted some issues:

- The AE86T is not sliding through the corner as it was in the original. Why did you switch it to look like it wasn't drifting?

- The AE86 is bouncing WAY too much on the gravel. Unless he was driving on jagged rocks, it wouldn't bounce that much.

- The speed of the cars is too fast. To make it look like Initial D, you have to slow it down a bit. Remember, you're depicting the AE86 getting a slight advantage due to a better line, not magically gaining twin turbo. laugh.gif

Just nitpicks. Take them as you will. On the whole, I think you did an amazing job with this, and look forward to seeing what else you can create. smile.gif

Hi, thanks for commenting those issues. I knew there would be since I actually know nothing about cars, I just like Initial D laugh2.gif

- If you mean the last corner, it's because in the road I did, that corner is practically a straight line. Not because I wanted to do it that way, but it just came out like that. So I thought it didn't have much sense to drift in that situation. Although I'm probably wrong.

- The dirt is actually much more jagged than in the original, so that's why the physics reacted that way. I guess it should have been more flat.

- I actually thought they were slow laugh2.gif The cameras have more FOV, so that can give the feeling of more speed.

If someday I make another video like this, I'll try to have this things in mind smile.gif

For the rest of you, I did this in less than a week, in which 3 days were of only rendering. The car model was actually extracted from Forza Motorsports 3, although it suffered some heavy modifications. And then I modified that model even more to obtain the Levin.

For the animation I used a plugin called Craft Director Studio, which helps a lot in animating cars. You control them like if it was a videogame and automatically generates the physics and all that stuff. So if the car is bouncy, is because the plugin thought it should be bouncy with the dirt I made xD. It was also difficult to do drifts, so it would have taken me more time to do it.

I'm glad you liked it anyway. Tell me if you see more mistakes smile.gif
Tessou
Posted: Aug 11 2012, 09:11 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

I meant on the first corner, before Wataru sees the dirt at all. In the comparison, it's clearly shown in the original video that Wataru is drifting outside the dirt.
kyonpalm
Posted: Aug 11 2012, 06:33 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

That's impressively quick! Do you think you would ever tackle re-animating First Stage's CG sequences? It would be quite a task, but not impossible. I'm not so sure we'll see a First Stage reboot anytime this decade anyway.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 11 2012, 06:47 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Holy shit that was amazing. I'm with Kyonpalm--I'd love to see a sort of...remaster for First and Second Stage done like this. Your integration of the original animation cels with the updated 3DCG was wonderfully done. If you'd be willing to spend the time, I think the result would be just plain awesome.

I honestly didn't have that much of a problem with the mud-bouncing. It's more a question of what exactly was going on in that section of road. In my opinion Second Stage didn't truly show what that was. Was it a big thing of just mud? Was it a huge mound of dirt? Were there rocks? Why did they think they couldn't just blast through it in the first place? If they couldn't blast through it, why was it suddenly okay to do that later?

I never read the manga past the first two volumes so I don't know how it went in the original story, but in my opinion the Anime wasn't clear about that section of road. Seeing your take was just seeing another interpretation. happy.gif
Möbius
Posted: Aug 11 2012, 10:44 PM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

Wow, I thought it would have taken a whole lot longer than that. Nice work man! smile.gif
Meteor
Posted: Aug 12 2012, 03:17 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

Was it a big thing of just mud? Was it a huge mound of dirt? Were there rocks? Why did they think they couldn't just blast through it in the first place? If they couldn't blast through it, why was it suddenly okay to do that later?

I'm pretty sure it was a huge mound of dirt. Some of it got blown away every time the cars drove past it, so eventually it got turned into a more driveable surface.

Anyway, as everyone else here said; awesome job and we'd love to see more work like this in the future. Minor problems with the animation aside, the CG was great on its own and was flawlessly integrated into the original scene on top of that. Also, it's impressive that you got the road modeled within just 3 days.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Aug 12 2012, 08:05 AM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

Beautifully done! As with kyon and N1, I think it would be awesome to see remakes of all the first and second stage races. Or maybe even better would be to animate the races that they omitted from the anime. I believe that there were one or two. Keep up the great work I love it! smile.gif

Lonely_Driver
Posted: Aug 12 2012, 11:08 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 38,019

Very nice, I use to do a lot of 3D modeling as well biggrin.gif

http://zac86.deviantart.com/gallery/#/dga299

old AE86 model I made in 2005
PacoChan
  Posted: Aug 12 2012, 05:18 PM

IDW Member

Hi everyone. Thanks for your answers smile.gif

I don't think I would have enough patience to do a whole episode, let alone a whole stage laugh2.gif But it sure would be great. Watching again some episodes of the first stage, I could notice that the 3D is even crappier than I remembered. Although I love crappy 90's 3D.

For now I don't know if I will make another scene, but who knows.

QUOTE (Lonely_Driver @ 6 hours, 1 minutes ago)
Very nice, I use to do a lot of 3D modeling as well biggrin.gif

http://zac86.deviantart.com/gallery/#/dga299

old AE86 model I made in 2005

That's great. It's a shame you didn't finish it. I usually get tired of modelling complex objects, since I prefer dealing with lighting and rendering. But I tried to do a Nissan Skyline a long time ago, but I didn't finish it either. That's why I edited cars extracted from Forza Motorsports 3.

BTW, I rendered some big images that could be used as wallpapers. Feel free to use them if you like smile.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1920 x 1080. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1920 x 1080. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

And one extra render...

user posted image
Saxifrage
Posted: Aug 12 2012, 06:13 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 36,872

I agree that the car is bouncing too much,the trueno in the original clip just bounces slightly.
Also, after Takumi overtook Wataru(after the bounce) the trueno pulled off too far away,like it got some magical boost or smething..

Still a good video nonetheless.
Perry
Posted: Aug 12 2012, 07:26 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

This is simply amazing!! I want to see more of these! I can't believe it can look so realistic... worship.gif worship.gif
imprezagc8
Posted: Aug 12 2012, 11:57 PM

da true Hawaii GC8

Member No.: 14,482

wow this is really cool. would love to see more happy.gif
JKaiba
Posted: Aug 13 2012, 09:11 AM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

Incredibly nice. They really look like they could have been made by the studio themselves.
Lonely_Driver
Posted: Aug 13 2012, 03:58 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 38,019

hmm, definetly interested in getting back into 3D modeling now, we should team up biggrin.gif
venth85
Posted: Aug 14 2012, 01:49 AM

Hello again~~

Member No.: 21,309

I would like to see FC3S vs AE86 scene biggrin.gif, *triple thumbs up*
Gunma's 34
Posted: Aug 14 2012, 02:41 AM

The R34's chosen one

Member No.: 27,787

YOU SIR. ARE BEYOND GODLIKE!!! My jaw dropped upon seeing this! You got any plans on making more? I would happilly feature it on my FB page to get more to see this awesome work.
Wanderer
Posted: Aug 14 2012, 04:31 AM

The Watcher

Member No.: 35,816

QUOTE (venth85 @ 2 hours, 41 minutes ago)
I would like to see FC3S vs AE86 scene biggrin.gif, *triple thumbs up*

I second this. Or better yet, the Takahashi brothers famous Parallel Drift scene!

Optic_ghost
Posted: Aug 14 2012, 07:19 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 16,648

That is a really impressive piece of work so please be sure to keep it up! biggrin.gif
r3d$unz
Posted: Aug 14 2012, 10:57 PM

GRRRR...YO! Apachai daio~!!

Member No.: 1,533

This was awesome! I spent a LOT of time with Maya during university and I know how hard rigging and animating can be (if you did any rigging then more props to you) and you did this all in a span of a week? Imagine what you can do with more time!

2 Pages  1 2