Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Move - See You My Best Love

Anime and Manga Forum Rules
• Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
• Use the Search function or read the Index of All Threads before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal or actual warning (if this rule is violated repeatedly).
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Discussion of yaoi/yuri is permitted, however, posting any sexual content and material is strictly prohibited and will result in an actual warning.
• Please use spoiler tags when addressing a spoiler. Violating this rule may earn you a verbal warning. Please read this thread for more information on how to use spoiler tags.
• Please ensure that when posting images that the images are at a reasonable resolution (i.e. 640 x 480 and below) or that you use a thumbnail to link to the original sized image.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

83 Pages  « 80 81 82 83  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 151,431  ·  Replies: 2,063 
> Gundam - UC/AU/CE, Gundam Discussion Thread
Tessou
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 08:02 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Their subs are basically what you'll see on the upcoming releases, since they're just getting them from Bandai.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Yosuke
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 08:13 PM

Manly News Host

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,046

"Currently, Daisuki is managed by Anime Consortium Japan, an anime content joint venture financed by Bandai Namco, the Cool Japan Fund, Asatsu-DK, and several Japan anime studios."

Yeah uh, Daisuki is basically Bandai owned so whatever Gundam.info gets, its what they get tongue.gif
Saint
Posted: Aug 9 2016, 03:55 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 2,067

Watched MS Gundam Origin 1-3 recently and the story is so captivating I wanna watch the original 1979 series. Then realized it's 43 episodes, which is fine. Then realized there're sequels Z and ZZ, then Char's Counterattack. That's too damn long~ D:>

So I wonder if the first series ends in a cliffhanger and continues into Z and so on, or it is self contained like Seed. Would I regret skipping Z and ZZ and jump to Char's Counterattack?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 9 2016, 05:12 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Saint @ 1 hour, 16 minutes ago)
Watched MS Gundam Origin 1-3 recently and the story is so captivating I wanna watch the original 1979 series. Then realized it's 43 episodes, which is fine. Then realized there're sequels Z and ZZ, then Char's Counterattack. That's too damn long~ D:>

So I wonder if the first series ends in a cliffhanger and continues into Z and so on, or it is self contained like Seed. Would I regret skipping Z and ZZ and jump to Char's Counterattack?

The first series stands alone. Zeta is a direct sequel, and is highly recommended as it's honestly a superior series. ZZ is a direct sequel to Z, and while I enjoyed it reviews are mixed.

Char's Counterattack focuses entirely on the Amuro/Char story. You'll miss out on some technological advances that happened in the series you skipped (Gundam is 0079, Zeta is 0087-0088, ZZ is 0088-0089, Char's Counterattack is UC 0093) but other than that you should be able to figure it out. Hell, I first saw Char's Counterattack having had only Wing, G, 0080, 0083 and little bits of MSG (mostly from games) under my belt and loved it.

It's up to you how you want to experience Gundam, but honestly I would just watch the movie versions of the original series instead then watch all of Z. Yes, I'm aware there's movie versions of Z as well, but I don't recommend them much like I don't recommend the movie versions of Turn A. They tried to fuck with something that was already great.
Saint
Posted: Aug 9 2016, 05:41 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 29 minutes, 38 seconds ago)
The first series stands alone. Zeta is a direct sequel, and is highly recommended as it's honestly a superior series. ZZ is a direct sequel to Z, and while I enjoyed it reviews are mixed.

Char's Counterattack focuses entirely on the Amuro/Char story. You'll miss out on some technological advances that happened in the series you skipped (Gundam is 0079, Zeta is 0087-0088, ZZ is 0088-0089, Char's Counterattack is UC 0093) but other than that you should be able to figure it out. Hell, I first saw Char's Counterattack having had only Wing, G, 0080, 0083 and little bits of MSG (mostly from games) under my belt and loved it.

It's up to you how you want to experience Gundam, but honestly I would just watch the movie versions of the original series instead then watch all of Z. Yes, I'm aware there's movie versions of Z as well, but I don't recommend them much like I don't recommend the movie versions of Turn A. They tried to fuck with something that was already great.

Okay got it. Thanks. I hesitate on ZZ due to reviews; they generally weren't very kind about it. It typically happens when a series drags on too long to the point you start to suspect they're just milking the previous series' success. If Z and ZZ are closely related to the first series rather than just spin-offs disguised as sequels then I'd take my time to watch it.

The downloads will be excrutiating lol.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 9 2016, 06:11 AM

ShiMACHaze

ZZ took longer to come into its own than Z did. People who loved Z to bits got to ZZ and went, "What the fuck is this comedy bullshit, why the hell does no one know how to close a cockpit hatch!?" for like, almost half the show. Then Tomino seemed to come out of his funk and figure out what he was doing with it, and the rest was history.

I wouldn't say ZZ is one of the best, but it's certainly nowhere near the worst. That title goes to Victory Gundam, or the Turn A movies.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 13 2016, 01:49 PM

ShiMACHaze

Double post, but FUCK IT.

https://www.facebook.com/nozomient/photos/a...pe=3&permPage=1

Nozomi Entertainment has announced US releases for the Turn A blurays. Fukken bought. w00t2.gif
Phantom_R32
Posted: Aug 15 2016, 02:40 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

Glad I saw this. I was just about to order the After War and Turn A sets in the next week or so. Would much rather have a blu-ray version at this point.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 15 2016, 03:49 PM

ShiMACHaze

After War never got blurays even in Japan, and it's unlikely it ever will. If you can pick up both Gundam X DVDs for $60 or less, consider it a great deal. Turn A, on the other hand, you'll really want to wait until the blurays are out since the blurays are straight from 35mm film whereas the DVDs were from the broadcast masters (i.e. VHS tapes).

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Aug 15 2016, 03:49 PM
RalliKai
Posted: Aug 16 2016, 04:43 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

Rewatched 0080 again for the first time in years. Still one of the saddest stories among the UC series but it reminded me that it has one of my favorite suits of all time.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 681. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 788 x 700. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
BOZZ
Posted: Aug 21 2016, 01:57 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Aug 9 2016, 09:12 AM)

You don't even have to really look far for the movies either, unless I am mistaken they are being streamed on that one official Gundam channel on Youtube (the name of the channel escapes me at the moment) for the time being.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5D658DBB4A5C657A

This post has been edited by BOZZ on Aug 21 2016, 02:21 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 5 2017, 10:58 AM

ShiMACHaze

Finally finished the absolute train-wreck of a series that is G no Reconguista. This series was a clear reminder of why the three-episode test exists in the first place, and had it not been a Gundam series--and the only thing standing between me and being able to say I'd seen every Gundam series--I wouldn't have even bothered. However, I did bother, and as a result I can now explain, in exact detail, why it is such an awful series.

Let's start off with the most basic thing, the thing that you can tell just from giving the series three episodes to figure out where it's going (and fail)--the schizophrenic directing. Now, Tomino in his later years was known for making jarring cuts and odd choices for dialogue, so this normally wouldn't be anything new. However, G takes this tendency and cranks it up to 11, interspersing it with poop jokes, pee jokes, spittakes for no reason whatsoever and generally the assumption that the entire viewing audience has an attention span of approximately 10 seconds. Both opening sequences are just cheapass splicing-together of scenes from the series itself with music laid on top, which would've been fine if that was just because they were late to deliver episode 1 but is inexcusable to remain the same through the remaining 25 episodes. A large majority of the dialogue has absolutely no reason whatsoever to be there and provides neither exposition nor explanation. Just random people shouting random crap that means absolutely nothing.

Speaking of random crap that means absolutely nothing, there are several key terms and technologies that are constantly brought up in the series and are never explained. For starters, "SU-CORD" appears to be the "UNIVERSE!!!" of this series. However, unlike "UNIVERSE!" which is at least a word, "SU-CORD" is complete and utter nonsense that comes from nowhere and is, at best, associated with a religion that gets no explanation at all. Then you have Kuntala, which is apparently some sub-human race again associated loosely with some religion. However, what exactly is 'Kuntala'? Where did the word come from exactly? How does one know they are 'Kuntala'? The only person who seems to make a big deal about it is Luin, as no one else--including the people who supposedly are 'racist' against Kuntala--ever bring it up. He seems to fail of his own accord, constantly blaming it on racists wanting him to fail. But what the fuck is a Kuntala? NOPE! Now, rather than a stupid dancing CM break animation he could have used that like Brave Witches did and provide a frame of exposition. For instance, each commercial break gives you a glimpse into parts of the G universe that they don't have episode time to cover. But nah, that'd just be too smart and clearly the viewing audience doesn't have the attention span to read anyway, right?

Then you have the Photon Batteries. You see one precisely once--when it's being loaded into the G-Self's leg--and though they're supposedly the key power source of every single thing in the universe, their mechanism is never explained and in fact they never seem to become relevant whatsoever until the very last episode. Throughout the series you have massive mobile suit and fleet battles where mobile suits go at it for ages with every ridiculous weapon under the sun without issue. Then suddenly in the last episode you see people running out of batteries? In addition, though the one time we see a Photon Battery being loaded is when it's placed into G-Self's leg, said leg gets shot at and destroyed in said final episode and yet there's no explosion like there are for other suits that get obliterated. Wut? Or hey, how about all the random technology that gets thrown around with no development whatsoever, like the G-Self's Photon Torpedoes? Gonna explain those? No? Well never mind then.

Speaking of technology, they also don't ever explain the rapid advances in MS tech developed by the Capital Army and Ameria in absence of the main characters while they're busy raiding the facility that actually has the means to advance technology (the G-IT Lab on the Venus Globe). So while Bellri and friends are busy fighting Jojo-looking motherfuckers and unearthing mobile armors and all manner of nonsensical beam-based weaponry, apparently those back on Earth have made massive leaps in technological prowess while they were gone, seemingly out of nowhere. Bellri and friends get back to the Earth sphere to find that Klim and the Capital Army suddenly have beam and remote weapons out the ass and their mobile suit performance has jumped leaps and bounds. Where did that development actually come from? Now, supposedly in this series you can just cop out and say "hurrdurr the rose of hermes blueprints" and call it a day, but hey, why not explain what the fuck those are? Oh wait, that's right, they don't do that either. There's a minor conversation about some engineer running to Earth and leaking something, but that single mention over a dinner table is the only time you get a hint. Nothing else.

How about where the G-Arcane came from in the first place? We finally find out that the G-Self was sent from Towasanga (courtesy Venus Globe) to Earth for the purpose of finding the Rayhunton children, so that's great, but what of the G-Arcane? Ameria just kind of...has it. They never explain how. Yet supposedly it's of the same lineage as the G-Self and all the other G-units from Venus Globe? Oh, and speaking of G-Arcane, it reeks of a Zeta unit and yet only in the questionably-canon side-story "From the Past to the Future" do you actually see it transform. Then again, that side-story also features Mask piloting a black Unicorn Phenex and losing horrendously for no reason, and the G-Self doing something ridiculous while yelling SU-COOOOOORD so...yeah. Not sure if it's really supposed to be canon, so I'll just leave it out there.

The G-Self is another mystery. So the Rayhuntons are apparently super important folks, perhaps engineering geniuses (though, despite seeing them in photographs, we don't actually know much at all about them other than their kids are Bellri and Aida and their children have special implants in their EYEBALLS!!!!). Personally every time I hear 'Rayhunton' I can't help but think of Eureka Seven, but I digress. So anyway, the G-Self is supposedly a Venus Globe creation and is in the same lineage as the G-Arcane, G-Lucifer, and the other G-Whatever units that appear towards the latter half of the series. Yet from start to finish, it's on such an insanely higher plane of existence from every single other unit in the series that it beggars belief. It effortlessly dispatches every mobile suit and battleship in the show and its power is limited only by the fact that as the series progresses Bellri actually becomes more of a whiny pussy of a brat than less. For instance, the first time he uses the Perfect Pack's Photon Torpedoes he takes out an entire mobile suit unit at once. He then decides never to use it again. He also uses several abilities of the mobile suit that make no sense (monodirectional 'pressure', 'photon searcher', etc) with equally no explanation of how they work or what they even do.

You also have the typical Tomino issue of introducing a shitload of characters, giving them little to no development, and killing them off randomly to little effect. This is a typical Tomino thing, though, so I guess I'll let it slide. The one I won't let slide, however, is that right at the very end of the series he decided to casually insert a scene of patricide and have the peace-loving Towasangans completely agree with it, using a massive freighter as a battering ram to kill random people in a crowd as well as the president of Ameria who happens to also be Klim's father. Klim, of course, is on board said freigher and suggests that the captain take the ship down to crush him, to which the captain seems to agree that his father deserves to die. Excuse me, but what!? That made absolutely no sense to be there, but sure, why the fuck not, let's let the kid kill his dad by ramming him with a holy space freighter because reasons.

What makes all of this worse is the press conference where G no Reconguista was announced. Tomino said quite plainly that this series was intended to appeal to the next generation of Gundam fans, that this was meant not for those who had been with him since the beginning or the children of those people, but rather was designed for the children of today who are growing up in an era where Gundam is already a thing. So, in short, he was aiming this show at young children in 2015. Yet the show has schizophrenic directing, complex scenarios and terminology, not to mention all the issues I've already listed above. Did he think that by tossing in poop and pee jokes he would totally secure his target audience? Did he assume that his target audience really did only have an attention span of 10 seconds and so it'd all work out? Because no matter how I look at it, it's a big fucking failure.

Now then, on to comparing it to what previously held the record for most train-wreck of a Gundam series, Victory. G no Reconguista is better, let's just get that out of the way. They both have typical Tomino nonsense that makes both like trying to gargle vomit, but despite both having an anticlimactic and abrupt ending, Reconguista doesn't quite do it as badly as Victory did. Victory has a climax of a battle and then, all of a sudden, the battle is just plain over and it's years later and here's blind Katejina and Usso's living together with Shakti and boom, series over. G no Reconguista at least has some kind of an actual ending to the final battle (even though it's still pretty crap), and its timeskip isn't nearly as jarring. So, despite both series not being worth watching, if you have to choose between two ways to bore yourself to tears I'd recommend going with G no Reconguista.

I'll give the series one thing, though, and it's the same thing I gave Victory Gundam--the MS designs are pretty freaking neat. Sure lots of them don't make sense in the context of the series's universe, but so what? The series was crap, so just enjoy the mobile suit designs and don't think about it so much. Switch your brain off and shout "SU-CORD!" at the top of your lungs! derp.gif

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Jan 5 2017, 11:01 AM
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 5 2017, 05:01 PM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 6 hours, 2 minutes ago)
G no Reconguista review

I was going to ask how it compares, in your opinion, to Victory, then I saw you mention that later in your post hehe... I've yet to see much of the series, it seemed really all over the place in the few episodes I saw, although I'll probably get around to forcing my way through it to at least say I'd seen it (I've got 8th MS, 00, AGE, Wing, G Gundam, Ironblood and a few recent OVAs to get through).

The thing about that Kuntala people, I remember it being mentioned in the limited episodes I saw that people ate them too!? WTF!?

Btw what are your thoughts on Gundam Origin and Ironblood?

This post has been edited by BOZZ on Jan 6 2017, 05:47 PM
RalliKai
Posted: Jan 9 2017, 08:53 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

I enjoyed Origin thoroughly. It was nice digging deeper into the political details of Zeon and Char. It got me back into a Gundam mood. Been watching the original series again and going to watch Zeta next.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 9 2017, 11:29 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (BOZZ @ Jan 5 2017, 05:01 PM)
Btw what are your thoughts on Gundam Origin and Ironblood?

Just saw your edit. I love Origin thoroughly. I'm keeping up with IBO, and so far I'm not displeased with it. If anything it's just pacing issues but that's a weekly TV series for you. I mean, I already own two IBO kits too (1/100 Gusion Rebake, 1/100 Grimgerde).

If anything, that's one thing I do regret about G-Reco--the G-Self never got an MG. Really too bad, I would've bought one.
Posted: Jan 9 2017, 09:38 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

Member No.: 16,670

LOL i totally forgot IBO had a 2nd season, i left a note for myself to follow up on it and i only saw the first ep of SE2 yesterday. i for the most part have been distracted by re watching Turn A Gundam in the past few weeks, up to ep 36 by now and still loving the series.
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 10 2017, 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 3:29 PM)
Just saw your edit. I love Origin thoroughly. I'm keeping up with IBO, and so far I'm not displeased with it. If anything it's just pacing issues but that's a weekly TV series for you. I mean, I already own two IBO kits too (1/100 Gusion Rebake, 1/100 Grimgerde).

If anything, that's one thing I do regret about G-Reco--the G-Self never got an MG. Really too bad, I would've bought one.

Btw, I've heard rumblings that Origin is supposed to have 6 episodes. Have you heard anything about that or was the 4th one the last one?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 10 2017, 01:47 PM

ShiMACHaze

I did indeed hear that it was being extended another few episodes to include the Battle of Loum.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-...in-2018/.108987
Saint
Posted: Feb 1 2017, 12:40 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Was hoping to see some Char vs Amuro in the 4th movie, but it ended even before the war began lol. Guess I'll buy the old series from a local shop when I pass by one day, assuming they have it. It's such a fascinating series. This could be my favorite Gundam out of the few I've watched. (Hated 00 with passion.)
BOZZ
Posted: Feb 2 2017, 04:32 PM

It was pretty good though as a whole. Watching Origin though makes me feel like Bandai has missed a huge opportunity to make a live action Gundam movie based on Origin/0079. I would hope they've overcome their hesitation to do one, it's been a long time since they did Saviour after all.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Saint
Posted: Feb 3 2017, 09:19 PM

The 6th Blameless Shift

It's excellent, but doubtful it'll work as Live Action with the Japanese cgi. Unless it's Pacific Rim's quality.
BOZZ
Posted: Feb 4 2017, 12:45 PM

It'd work, its definitely possible, I'm just surprised they never gave it a shot.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 6 2017, 02:27 PM

I started to watch IBO again for the first time since whenever episode 3 aired (it's where I stopped) and I got to say I am really enjoying it. I just finished the 5th episode and am left to wonder, does IBO continue to be as good as it has been so far? The only reason I ask is because of N1's comment about pacing being an issue.

I'm at episode 21 and so far so good. I'm really enjoying the series so far and am looking forward to catching up to the currently aired episodes in the next few days. Although I haven't watched much Gundam Wing, am I the only who does get some Gundam Wing vibes from Mikazuki and Kudelia? They kind of remind me of Heero and the main female protagonist from Wing (whose name escapes me at the moment, but if I recall things correctly, she was also a blonde girl).

This post has been edited by BOZZ on Mar 9 2017, 11:24 PM
Phantom_R32
Posted: Mar 20 2017, 04:43 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

Finished Victory Gundam and... I kinda liked it? I don't know if it's because I watched it after ZZ and F91, but I honestly didn't mind it. The only thing I didn't care for were the mobile suit designs. Some of the characters were awful, but it's not a Gundam series without a few awful characters.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 20 2017, 05:07 PM

ShiMACHaze

You actually enjoyed the ending that made no sense and literally concluded and time-skipped so fast that if it were a car wreck you'd be in a neck brace? blink.gif And didn't like the MS designs?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes. laugh2.gif I watched Victory after ZZ and F91 too, but I'm sorry, it was way too far out on the Tomino Schizophrenia scale for me to enjoy.

In other news, I got the blurays for Turn A here in the US and they're great. Finally, the whole series, in proper visual fidelity with proper English subtitles. Couldn't ask for more.

83 Pages  « 80 81 82 83