Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) Deemo - The Spirit Of The Night

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

9 Pages  1 2 3 4 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 17,374  ·  Replies: 223 
> IDWs 1st Official Too-Gay for the Touge Track Day, Gauging interest

Will you be showing up?!
Yes, Intending to race [ 9 ]  [40.91%]
Yes, Intending to spectate [ 4 ]  [18.18%]
No, Why the heck would I want to go to this awesome venue? [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
The choices are too confusing [ 8 ]  [36.36%]
Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
Nomake Wan
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 01:33 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (MetalMan777 @ 29 minutes, 20 seconds ago)
Hopefully there's enough width to get sideways.

You'll need a lot more than track width to get sideways.

...Oh wait, you meant swinging the back of your car out. awesome.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
sideways
  Posted on Sep 24 2013, 02:13 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

Im scared sad.gif

But for what its worth- The track itself is more than wide enough. They host drifting events on thursdays as well. A time attack just seemed a bit better, then anyone could bring anything and still have a good bit of fun- Some of us have awd/ff vehicles, and "racing" is a bit easier to learn than drifting right off the bat for anyone who's new to the track.
Nomake Wan
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 02:22 PM

ShiMACHaze

>ff
>drifting

sideways..pls...pls no sideways...pls...
AzNMaVbOi
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 02:24 PM

I never asked for this...

Member No.: 15,854

This sounds like a lot of fun! Now if it weren't on a weeknight, I could probably attend. Driving from LAX to Riverside in rush hour traffic is no bueno sad.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Vile
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 03:00 PM

IDW's Furfag

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,586

Geez I'm kind of worried on how this will work out. I mean it is like a week before Christmas and all. But hopefully we get this coming through sooner or later. I really want to meet all of you guys!

Oh god, no more of this ff drifting convo LOL

Since its sessions per hour, how long will the time attack last overall?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Spaz
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 03:15 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (MetalMan777 @ 2 hours, 10 minutes ago)
Evos let you get away with a lot of bad habits that don't sit well with normal cars. Those differentials are black magic.

I might be a good example of what to do, but I get pretty ridiculous pretty quickly after I've learned the line. My reason for this is that in real races, which I don't even do, you rarely get to drive on line, so unless there's a stopwatch, you might as well get creative. I'm not convinced there's enough width on a gokart track to get creative. Hopefully there's enough width to get sideways.

Haha, the '03 and '04 GSRs are ALL mechanical witchcraft. Only assist is ABS, they're a set 50/50 power split, open front diff, and a magical and ridiculous 1-way locker in the rear. Slow in, fast out is the tune to sing to take advantage of that, make sure you're on the hammer at the apex and you'll (pardon my ID quoting) "...perform a high speed turn that no other car can."

But yeah, I know that comfortable feeling, where you're confident in the car and the course and just go for it. I've scared corner workers in the past at near 100% in both my old Evo and other Evos.
RedsunsF1
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 03:31 PM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

Member No.: 38,401

Here's a check off list we have to hand in before racing on a track day. I understand this has nothing to do with NASA but it's a good list for safety etc..
http://www.nasaproracing.com/forms/annual_race_tech.pdf

Here's a couple things I tell people who ask me questions what they should do to make sure their car will be safe and run good.

- Tire conditions, please make sure they're not bald.

- Change your oil before a track event. I would recommend running one weigh
heavier than where you're at if you plan on racing.

- Top off your Power steering and brake fluid. If possible change your brake fluid to a higher boiling point one. ( I would recommend Amsoil but there are many options).

- Check your car for any leaks and try getting them fixed.

- Try running distilled water w/ water wetter to help keep your engine cooler. Also, If you some how have an accident on the track and you're running antifreeze, we don't want that on the track and have cars sliding around or have a cleaning crew clean it up and delaying time.

- Make sure your break lights work and safety belts!

- Make sure you have plenty of life left on your brake pads.

Oh look at that time to go home... I'll finish this later or if you have any questions just ask here and i'm sure anyone would be more than happy to help you out.
Spaz
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 03:36 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (FC_spec @ 4 minutes, 52 seconds ago)
If possible change your brake fluid to a higher boiling point one. ( I would recommend Amsoil but there are many options).

Change it to a higher boiling point fluid than the higher boiling point fluid. I will be running Motul 600 at the track from now on.
Vile
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 04:04 PM

IDW's Furfag

How about brake pads? I assume we should upgrade them to atleast one that doesn't require bedding into? I've always heard that regular daily driving pads ( Such as duralast ) are okay since in these small tracks we aren't really braking too hard before the corner? I'm still worried that brake fading will occur during in a track. I've never autoX or track raced before.

Spaz
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 05:21 PM

Group Icon

I've faded street/track pads on the street before. You should ALWAYS have the best pads you can live with on the car for normal driving.

And by that I mean like, not ST43s that'll screech to high heaven when you even think about touching the brake pedal.
MetalMan777
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 05:58 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (Spaz @ 37 minutes, 21 seconds ago)
I've faded street/track pads on the street before. You should ALWAYS have the best pads you can live with on the car for normal driving.

And by that I mean like, not ST43s that'll screech to high heaven when you even think about touching the brake pedal.

Porterfield makes some good pads that can handle higher temps and won't squeal. Hawk HPS get good reviews. Stay away from ceramics. They last forever and don't dust because they sort of barely work when you really want to haul down from speed.
Spaz
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 06:02 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (MetalMan777 @ 3 minutes, 38 seconds ago)
Porterfield makes some good pads that can handle higher temps and won't squeal. Hawk HPS get good reviews. Stay away from ceramics. They last forever and don't dust because they sort of barely work when you really want to haul down from speed.

HPS get good reviews but are still too heat-sensitive for the track IMO. The PFCs I was running year-round are basically equivalent to HP+s, and they still faded on occasion.
Nomake Wan
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 06:05 PM

ShiMACHaze

Psh, I don't have to worry about any of that crap. 4-wheel manual drum brakes, represent! awesome.gif
Spaz
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 06:13 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 8 minutes, 33 seconds ago)
Psh, I don't have to worry about any of that crap. 4-wheel manual drum brakes, represent! awesome.gif

Remind me to do two things:

1) Not be on the track at the same time as you.

2) Stick GoPros all over your car.
Sensation!
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 06:49 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

Personally, I'd love to see the maverick do the tire chicanes and then having to make the tight right..
I wonder if it'll even fit between the tires...

All I know is watching that car roll around corners is worth every penny if you pay the 5 dollar spectators fee.
Now riding in it with its seats that provide no lateral support? Worth every penny of the 10 dollar ride along.

Perhaps its the return of the touge taxi?
Nomake Wan
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 06:55 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Sensation! @ 6 minutes, 30 seconds ago)
Personally, I'd love to see the maverick do the tire chicanes and then having to make the tight right..
I wonder if it'll even fit between the tires...

All I know is watching that car roll around corners is worth every penny if you pay the 5 dollar spectators fee.
Now riding in it with its seats that provide no lateral support? Worth every penny of the 10 dollar ride along.

Perhaps its the return of the touge taxi?

Indeed! Well actually, more like the Tijuana Taxi. But yes, absolutely.

Then again, depending on how far in the future this is... I may have proper suspension, 4-wheel powered disc brakes and a 302 V8 in there. We'll see which way the wind blows.

P.S. Believe it or not the Maverick even in its current state doesn't roll around corners nearly as much as Fred would have you believe. He just thinks it does because as he said, the seats have 0 lateral support and so your inner ear is screaming at your brain telling you that the car is rolling like crazy when it's really you who's rolling. laugh2.gif
JKaiba
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 07:01 PM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

MXRSes all everywhere.... blown suspension all around derp.gif

This post has been edited by JKaiba on Sep 24 2013, 07:01 PM
Vile
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 09:32 PM

IDW's Furfag

Thanks guys for the recommendations. Although I'm not entirely convinced on which pads to get. I would like a pad that works wonder for daily driving and occasional track/auto crossing. I have a feeling that's impossible to achieve but I guess I could just replace the pads the night before an event or right before I race.

So metalman777, you're saying ceramics sacrificed brake performance for the quietness and non asbestos dust???

This post has been edited by Vile on Sep 24 2013, 09:34 PM
backalleyracer
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 10:48 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 7,122

this has not been stressed yet - but the more important thing you can do to any car for a track event... is just show up.

A person gaining seat time will far exceed any modification you will ever do to a car.
sideways
  Posted on Sep 24 2013, 11:00 PM

Depending on the weight of the car, HPS are brilliant street pads and "borderline acceptable" track pads if its all that fits in your budget. STUPIDITY MOMENT ALERT Back when I wasn't too-gay for the touge, I used to run HPS pads on my rolla- The road I ran was a 5.5 mile road, VERY steep grade, and has at least a good 50-60+ corners. With the "im-effen-stupid"-pedal to the floor I was easily hitting the 100mph mark on the 2 straights (top of 3rd), most other sections were between low/high 2nd gear. By the time I'd reach the bottom my rotors would be an exceedingly beautiful shade of orange- But the pads kept working. Theyd glaze over after a full nights worth of runs- But id just deglaze them by any means readily available, and they were good again.

Again, this going down a very steep mountain road that was 5.5 miles long- The track in question is a cute little gokart track where laps average 40-50 seconds depending on how fast you and your car are. If your car is anywhere in the 2000 pound range, im fairly confident that HPS will be just fine. If you've a heavier car (into the 3000s, sti/evo/mk3supra range, etc), they might be "less happy", but theyd still probably hold up alright. Id run them without hesitation if its what I could afford- It wouldn't be ideal, but it wouldn't be "bad" either- if that makes sense.

If youd like something a bit more track oriented but still ok for the street, hp+ are easily some of the best for the money. The heat range theyre good for would be just fine for the track, you wont have to worry about them glazing or fading on you. Theyre notably noisier however compared to the hps, and will make a mess of your rims in no time (they dust like crazy). I also strongly support almost anything Porterfield when it comes to street pads- Theres a reason they see such good reviews.

If you want more "serious" track pads, theres a plethora of options. Ive had extremely, EXTREMELY good results with my endless pads- and am 110% sold on them. Im running them on my rolla now and the difference they have made is amazing. Cold they bite as hard as my hps ever did- Warmed up and they really show some fangs when you touch the pedal, but still remain easy to modulate.

For what its worth: My Z will be running HPS pads up front, and hp+ pads out back (Ive swapped the non-vented solid rotors up front to 4 piston callipers squeezing "huge by comparison" 300zx vented rotors, and changed the drums out back to s13 rear brakes. The s13 rear brakes from a performance perspective aren't inherently better, although they'll hold up to heat for longer, but they are 20x easier to work on, deal with, adjust, and fine parts/pads for. This setup however is VERY front biased, so much so that rear lock up for equally biased pads is impossible to obtain even with a brake bias control giving as much stopping power available to the rear. Thus my staggered pads). With intent on going to endless in the near future.

Edit:

If you are intending to show up, please SEND ME A PM. Please let me know if you intend to race or just spectate/maybe co-pilot. I will start updating the first post with a list of members and what they plan to do

This post has been edited by sideways on Sep 24 2013, 11:04 PM
SgtXDNX
Posted on Sep 25 2013, 02:45 AM

Goddamn Electric

Member No.: 23,073

QUOTE (sideways @ Yesterday, 5:04 PM)
>Sensation hit the nail on the head-  Im flying 7000 miles from another continent on the other side of the world in a different hemisphere.

>I head out to the states about twice a year, in roughly 6'ish month interval

>If the turn out is good on this one Ill gladly host another on my next trip- Which will be next summer ish.

Well, I'm heading back to the States for a bit next June/July, what say we have ourselves a little Aussie invasion? Hell, I'll even buy, just to celebrate being legal Stateside this time. laugh.gif

Won't have a full licence, so no international licence for track day fun-times, though. crying2.gif
sideways
  Posted on Sep 25 2013, 03:13 AM

QUOTE (SgtXDNX @ 28 minutes, 22 seconds ago)
Well, I'm heading back to the States for a bit next June/July, what say we have ourselves a little Aussie invasion? Hell, I'll even buy, just to celebrate being legal Stateside this time. laugh.gif

Won't have a full licence, so no international licence for track day fun-times, though.  crying2.gif

Not a full license? What kind of license are you on? What regulations from where say you can or cant drive on the license you have?

Also- You dont really need a drivers license to drive legally on private property- Just on public roads. For almost all venues I've been to, you dont -actually- need a valid drivers license to race on the track (Although most require you to be of a minimum age to freely go, or have parental consent if youre between an age range below that minimum, is some tracks will let you race freely if youre 17 or older, but if youre between 15 and that, you need parental/guardian permission. But if I've read you profile correctly your 20 anyways and should be fine). If youre are indeed, not allowed to drive on the roads there-

You might still have a very good chance to drive on a track, assuming you find someone to let you drive their car tongue.gif

This post has been edited by sideways on Sep 25 2013, 03:16 AM
SgtXDNX
Posted on Sep 25 2013, 03:20 AM

Goddamn Electric

Still on my Ps, so there's quite a bit of stuff that's no bueno. However, if it's on private property, I guess it's time to do as the Romans do. biggrin.gif
sideways
  Posted on Sep 25 2013, 03:50 AM

Got any links that discuss the legalities of you being able/unable to drive on the provisionals? Are you on reds or greens?
SgtXDNX
Posted on Sep 25 2013, 04:36 AM

Goddamn Electric

Provisional Licence Restrictions

Still on the reds (P1s), haven't really had the time to get the required hours up considering my work schedule and the fact I live/work right next to train stations. It's a pain in the ass. laugh.gif

9 Pages  1 2 3 4 »