Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Dave Simon - Generation

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 4,541  ·  Replies: 4 
> Video Playback setup?
nivek
  Posted: Jan 6 2013, 11:21 PM

IDW God Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,727

So I've been reading the ID 5th stage ep 3 - 4 thread when Nomake posted this link http://imouto.my/watching-h264-videos-usin...hitecture-cuda/

I'm thinking of testing that setup, but I have a few questions:

1. I currently have CCCP + madVR + MPC HC installed on my laptop, I also Installed LAVCUVID decoder, and did set it as "prefer" in view>options>external filters in MPC HC, I do disable it from time to time whenever I play an avi file, (doesn't seem to work with avi or I am doing something wrong) output is set to madVR.

Do I have to remove everything when I try that linked guide? (it did say to remove previous filters, etc.)

2. I also used Win7 DS Filter Tweaker 4.5 to disable the default decoders on win 7 and did set the LAVCUVID and ffdshow decoders as default, did this so that when I convert videos (Total video converter) I can use LAVCUVID for converting supported files (offload them to CUDA), and ffdshow to control the scaling/position of softsubs when converting them to be hardsubbed on the video. Also used ffdshow if I ever need to increase the volume.

Will following the linked guide affect my setup when I need to convert videos? or maybe you guys can suggest a better way to convert videos?

3. From the guide they seem to recommend a little too high spec comp? I've been playing Hi10p content on my laptop (software decoding) and the my cpu usage usually only hovers around 15-21% for 1080p hi10p. Is it because of the filters they use?

for reference my laptop is K43SV
Core i5 Sandy Bridge 2.3-2.8 ghz
6GB RAM
Nvidia GT540m 1GB

I don't mind if won't be able to use CUDA anymore during conversion though. (why was Hi10p invented anyway? tongue.gif now I can't use CUDA)

Right now I'm more concerned in having the best video quality playback possible on my laptop. Hopefully you guys can help me, I remember Nomake Wan and Khat 17 helped me years back by suggesting to completely remove the K-Lite Codec pack and install CCCP tongue.gif cause K-lite was terrible.

This post has been edited by nivek on Jan 6 2013, 11:25 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 7 2013, 12:50 AM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Hi10p was invented because it was an infinitely better way of compressing color data in h264 video streams. It doesn't work with CUDA/DXVA/etc because current graphics chips do not have 10-bit video decoding chips on them. Until someone either writes some custom code for CUDA/OpenCL to use the stream processors for hardware decoding or chipmakers latch on to the new format and support it natively it's not going to happen and you'll be relying on your CPU horsepower. Not a big deal with a modern computer, kind of a big deal with, say, my HP Mini 311.

Now then, on to your actual questions. Hopefully I can be of some assistance. However, if you don't want to read big long explanations and would rather just have your media setup work out of the box, uninstall every media player and codec pack that didn't come with your computer (MPC, K-Lite, CCCP, Haali, LAV, etc etc etc etc) and just install this: Kawaii Codec Pack

1. If it doesn't work with AVI files you are absolutely doing something wrong and chances are it's because you are trying to use two different splitters to open AVI files. Chances are said double-splitter situation is actually affecting other file types too but you only noticed it on AVIs. For instance, you say you installed LAV... did you let it install the LAV Splitter? Did you install Haali's splitter? Do you have any internal splitters enabled? 9 times out of 10 your problem here is going to be a splitter issue, either an improperly configured one or two splitters fighting over who gets to play the file.

You should not have to change any settings to play any file in MPC-HC when it is configured properly, period. That this isn't true for you should have been a giant red alarm that something was wrong. My suggestion since it's been mucked up so badly already is to uninstall everything and start over. This time, don't install CCCP. It was great a few years ago but it's out of date now. If you must do an all-in-one installation, click the Kawaii Codec Pack link above. Right now it's the best option for that sort of thing.

And another thing... if a guide tells you to remove all previous filters... then you tell me. Do you have to remove all previous filters? derp.gif THINK, MCFLY, THINK!!!

2. Oh god why. Oh god why. Why you do this. Oh god why. You are causing me physical pain. I cannot help you here though because I write batch scripts to do video conversion and you seem like the kind of person who wouldn't take the care and time required to learn. Likewise, I do not have the time to teach someone how to use these scripts who isn't willing to abide by my belief system. Someone who actually uses those abhorrent all-in-one conversion programs will have to help you instead.

3. Their recommendations are high because they want to 100% guarantee smooth playback. Go grab THORA's release of REDLINE in 1080p and try to play it on your laptop then come back and ask me why their recommendations seem high. awesome.gif

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Jan 7 2013, 12:52 AM
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
nivek
  Posted: Jan 7 2013, 02:38 AM

IDW God Member

okay, thanks for the reply, yeah I know why Hi10p was made and why CUDA does not support it, I was just kind of ranting because when I finally get the chance to test it out on video, they are now moving to a new format which CUDA does not support facepalm.gif It's not a problem anyway since I can play Hi10p just fine through software.

BTW the only reason why my configuration in MPC HC was changed was because a year ago I also tried following a guide from the net similar to what you posted (I no longer remember what site it was but it was an anime related site), it was about using madVR and Lav for MPC HC, so I followed that guide and it did improve the picture quality over the standard CCCP way back then. The avi issue only happened when I installed and set to preferred the LAVCUVID decoders, removing them from preferred decoders removes the problem and just as the same I can play any video file format I throw at MPC.

I just wanted to try CUDA on video hence why I installed it.

No offense mate, but don't easily judge me as a person who "wouldn't take the care and time required to learn" that said I'm not asking you to tell me all the technical details in conversion either, I know how hard it is when someone asks you to teach them something, thinking it's all that simple.

as for me causing you physical pain tongue.gif I do understand that my method of conversion is something you'd definitely avoid and hate doing, I know you're the type of person who constantly monitors his own computer making sure everything runs right in the most efficient way awesome.gif

Gonna try that KCP, thanks

EDIT:

Just tried it, had some issues on audio in some of the mkvs I've played, it had very low vocals and the sound seemed like it was echoing. Don't know if I did the right thing I ticked the "enable mixing" in the Lav Audio Configuration with speaker set to stereo, seems to have fixed it.

This post has been edited by nivek on Jan 7 2013, 06:02 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 7 2013, 07:14 AM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (nivek @ 4 hours, 35 minutes ago)
No offense mate, but don't easily judge me as a person who "wouldn't take the care and time required to learn" that said I'm not asking you to tell me all the technical details in conversion either, I know how hard it is when someone asks you to teach them something, thinking it's all that simple.

Just tried it, had some issues on audio in some of the mkvs I've played, it had very low vocals and the sound seemed like it was echoing. Don't know if I did the right thing I ticked the "enable mixing" in the Lav Audio Configuration with speaker set to stereo, seems to have fixed it.

Generally people I've run into who want to use things like SUPER or Total or any all-in-one do-everything video converter look at AVIsynth and batch scripting and go, "Ugh, why so much work, why can't you just dump a file into a single program, why all this configuration, why so many components," etc etc etc. It makes me cry. If you'd be open to learning how to do conversion then I might actually write up a guide on my method. It doesn't work for everything under the sun but for 99% of the conversions that one would do (assuming a final output of MP4) it's good stuff.

Yes, the 'echoing' was because you were trying to play a file that was outputting 5.1 audio and trying to send that audio to more than two speakers. You don't have more than two speakers, so you only heard the 'edges' of the sound. As soon as you set your speaker environment to stereo the problem went away. I do that by putting ffdshow audio processor into the render chain with only its mixer function enabled and set to stereo, but any way that forces the audio to a stereo matrix should work just fine. happy.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
nivek
  Posted: Jan 7 2013, 08:01 AM

IDW God Member

ok, thanks again mate smile.gif , I'd be open to learn anything technical about video conversion, although you really don't have to make a guide if you don't have time. I personally haven't googled other methods of conversion specifically on how fansubbers do it.