Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (IRC)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 16 unique listeners, playing Dusty - Crazy For Love

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 8,194  ·  Replies: 33 
> Regarding Thread Necro, Guidelines Updated
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 9 2015, 10:11 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

It's just irritating. Discussion on a topic dies for a reason. To come back over a decade later and try to revive discussion on that topic is more likely to make someone roll their eyes than actually engage.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Kiroshino
Posted: Dec 10 2015, 08:56 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 34,203

A post that revives an extremely old thread usually doesn't add any value to the conversation. If it's significant enough to jump start the conversation again (ie with new information), it probably deserves a new thread.

Yes, it doesn't do any harm, but it's more about common forum/board courtesy than anything else.

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on Dec 10 2015, 08:58 AM
Tessou
  Posted: Dec 11 2015, 09:49 AM

[length=10]penis[/length]
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (Kiroshino @ Yesterday, 12:56 PM)
A post that revives an extremely old thread usually doesn't add any value to the conversation. If it's significant enough to jump start the conversation again (ie with new information), it probably deserves a new thread.

Yes, it doesn't do any harm, but it's more about common forum/board courtesy than anything else.

This. The team isn't warning harmful content as much as teaching table manners when it comes to this guideline. Forget which one is the salad fork enough times and one of the green meanies gets to slap your hand.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
HorizontalMitsubishi
Posted: Jun 29 2016, 07:32 PM

Part of the Tessou Signature Series

Member No.: 2,022

What about if the forums are so dead the only threads you find interesting and can reply to with relevant information are over 30 days old? Or maybe you have an update to your collection that you posted years ago? or maybe an update to a car build?
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Jun 29 2016, 07:37 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

QUOTE (HorizontalMitsubishi @ 4 minutes, 51 seconds ago)
What about if the forums are so dead the only threads you find interesting and can reply to with relevant information are over 30 days old? Or maybe you have an update to your collection that you posted years ago? or maybe an update to a car build?

Well, I had to do that recently for one of my fanfic threads. It hasn't been updated in like 500 days or something. I'm actually kinda surprised to see that I haven't been banned yet.
Spaz
Posted: Jun 29 2016, 10:42 PM

I just wanna go fast
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

There are exceptions to every rule, and something like thread necro is and always has been case-by-case. Can't say I ever remember someone being warned, verbal or on-the-books, for bring legitimately useful and non-repetitive information or discussion to an old thread.

Most of the time someone tries to bring honest discussion to an old post in say, the ID section where that kind of thing always seems to happen regularly with new members, it's either to state the obvious, regurgitate something that's been said already in a different wording, or just say something that's blatantly incorrect. Usually it just results in a verbal.
Meteor
Posted: Jun 30 2016, 02:52 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

Fanfic thread necros have literally never been a warn-worthy offense, and for good reason. Hell, they don't even get warned when someone other than the author is doing the necroing (the only exception being when someone is necroing threads left and right to bump up their post count).

Oh yeah, about that exception, that actually happened on at least two previous occasions, and that's the only reason the guidelines on thread necroing were updated. Thread revivals that aren't for the sake of post-count bumping and actually contribute to the thread in a meaningful way are still valid. You have exactly zero reason to be worried about getting warned here.
dcr_raptor
Posted: Jul 2 2016, 03:56 AM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 46,999

In the gaming chat section, it states in the important rules at the top of the page to not create a duplicate thread and post in an already existing one.
This basically gives me a choice between breaking this rule and necroing.
The relevant thread exists, but hasn't been used in several years.
If I would get a warning for creating a duplicate thread or get a warning for necroing a dead one, what should I do?

This post has been edited by dcr_raptor on Jul 2 2016, 03:58 AM
Meteor
Posted: Jul 2 2016, 06:15 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

To date, I've only seen people get warned for necros if they're necroing threads left and right or contributing nothing of any worth or relevance to the topic they resurrected. You would most likely be safe in necroing that dead thread.

To date, I've also never really seen people get warned for duplicate threads since the threads in this case tend to be years apart. The duplicate threads do eventually get merged if someone notices there's a duplicate, but the creator of the duplicate thread never gets a warning for it. You'd probably be safe in creating a duplicate thread too.

So go do either of those. If you have your doubts, send a mod a PM. They won't bite.

Maybe the mod team needs to clarify the rules even more. It seems only long time members like me know not to be too worried about running afoul of this rule.

2 Pages  1 2