Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing encounter

Anime and Manga Forum Rules
• Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
• Use the Search function or read the Index of All Threads before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal or actual warning (if this rule is violated repeatedly).
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Discussion of yaoi/yuri is permitted, however, posting any sexual content and material is strictly prohibited and will result in an actual warning.
• Please use spoiler tags when addressing a spoiler. Violating this rule may earn you a verbal warning. Please read this thread for more information on how to use spoiler tags.
• Please ensure that when posting images that the images are at a reasonable resolution (i.e. 640 x 480 and below) or that you use a thumbnail to link to the original sized image.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 6,216  ·  Replies: 41 
> Anime with a solid storyline like ID and Wangan, Where you just think WOW!!
projectaero
  Posted: Nov 3 2011, 02:54 AM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,614

What Anime do u recommend.
I loved the wholoe storyline of Initial D and Wangan Midnight but absolutely loved the emotions i got from watching it.
What do you reckon ?

For those interested i dont watch any other anime.
thanks
RalliKai
Posted: Nov 3 2011, 05:43 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,607

Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Mobile Suit Gundam
Trigun
Black Lagoon; just to name a few.
Bumpercam
Posted: Nov 3 2011, 07:06 AM

Rage Against The Light

Member No.: 36,515

To be fair, every genre of anime has at least one with a solid storyline. Well, every genre except those which does not take itself seriously (i.e. gag anime).

If you loved ID/WM-style storyline, you might want to take a look at other sport manga/anime. Slam Dunk perhaps? Pretty decent if you ask me.
kyonpalm
Posted: Nov 3 2011, 07:15 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (RalliKai @ 1 hour, 31 minutes ago)
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Mobile Suit Gundam
Trigun
Black Lagoon; just to name a few.

You forgot Evangelion. And definitely check out Last Exile - one of the best stories in any anime ever made.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
RalliKai
Posted: Nov 3 2011, 08:10 AM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 55 minutes, 29 seconds ago)
You forgot Evangelion. And definitely check out Last Exile - one of the best stories in any anime ever made.

Never watched Eva the whole way through. I completely agree about Last Exile. It's just been a long time since I last watched the series so key plot points have become foggy to me. The series was also one of the most visually stunning ones I've seen.
Alastair
Posted: Nov 3 2011, 08:29 AM

SNTS

Member No.: 27,312

Baccano, it was an amazing anime totally under rated.
kyonpalm
Posted: Nov 3 2011, 08:44 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Alastair @ 14 minutes, 36 seconds ago)
Baccano, it was an amazing anime totally under rated.

Baccano's never underrated! At least, not on /a/.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Nov 3 2011, 09:49 AM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

It really depends on what you want to watch. I love old anime, so I usually watch stuff like Trigun, Eva. There are a lot of old series out there with a solid storyline if you could deal with the art styles that they used back in the day.

But a newer anime that I'd recommend Tiger&Bunny. It's funny, serious, and the main character is a family man!

Mushishi is a good mind bender if you're into that genre, makes you think about the small things in life and how they work. Also helps that the main character--Ginko--is a BAMF. laugh.gif
projectaero
  Posted: Nov 3 2011, 02:24 PM

IDW Member

here are a few more criteria:
a series that isnt 300+ episodes something with 1 season up to 4 is prett y good.

i dont like outlandish anime, never a fan of pokemon or dragonballz, or the excessive overacting u could say.
does that eliminaste any or give new ideas to some?
Drew
Posted: Nov 3 2011, 04:26 PM

Bought not Built

Member No.: 12,733

The answer to your question is:

Black Lagoon

/discussion

This post has been edited by Thir13Teen on Nov 3 2011, 04:26 PM
kyonpalm
Posted: Nov 4 2011, 08:48 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Thir13Teen @ Yesterday, 7:26 PM)
The answer to your question is:

Black Lagoon

/discussion

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWNx4p6FVRA )

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F5p1_hR2Ws&feature=related )
civicfan14
Posted: Nov 5 2011, 12:09 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 37,305

You might want to check out The Prince Of Tennis or Slam Dunk in that case-both sports anime with a very similar storyline.
projectaero
  Posted: Nov 5 2011, 01:09 PM

IDW Member

hey,
i dont actually think sports would work for me with anime, its just that ID / Wangan worked for me.
Alastair
Posted: Nov 5 2011, 01:13 PM

SNTS

Member No.: 27,312

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ Nov 3 2011, 09:49 AM)

But a newer anime that I'd recommend Tiger&Bunny. It's funny, serious, and the main character is a family man!

It's also super hetero. I also reccomend NO.6
Sensation!
Posted: Nov 5 2011, 01:18 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

Eureka 7.

That anime is a solid 10/10 in character development, story, design, and even music.
Still my favorite after so many years.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Nov 5 2011, 04:28 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

QUOTE (Sensation! @ 3 hours, 8 minutes ago)
Eureka 7.

That anime is a solid 10/10 in character development, story, design, and even music.
Still my favorite after so many years.

Oh man I forgot to menton that one!

I second what Sensation! says. It's up there with my favorites because of the awesome concept and character designs, the only thing I have to complain about it is that in the first episode they throw in a lot of plot and it gets a bit ovewhelming (or--at least--it did for me) pinch2.gif

But since it takes place in the future or some kind of alternate universe I don't think it's anything like Initial D. I think you should expand your horizons a bit projectaero.

QUOTE (Alastair @ 3 hours, 0 minutes ago)
It's also super hetero.

Granted one of the heroes isn't... laugh.gif Tiger&Bunny is a great show with a really cool concept and awesome characters!

May I also mention something like Karas, or Noein? It has action in it!
civicfan14
Posted: Nov 5 2011, 04:55 PM

IDW Member

"Like Initial D" is actually pretty vague-yes, the stories are connected, but otherwise there's a huge difference between all the stages for the most part. Unless you just want a story with cars, then I guess You're Under Arrest is a good choice, maybe Gunsmith Cats if you are into muscle...
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 5 2011, 08:51 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Outlaw Star. Steins;Gate. Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. Yes, I'm being serious with those last two. Some people I know who wouldn't be caught dead watching 'magical girl' shows watched those and ended up loving both. Nanoha is practically a super robot show (the creators themselves said they were inspired by Super Robot Wars, so...).

I can keep going... but a lot of good ones got covered in this thread already by others.

If you want to try a sports Anime out, though, give Hajime no Ippo a try. I'm not a fan of sports Anime either and I enjoyed that one.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
civicfan14
Posted: Nov 6 2011, 02:44 AM

IDW Member

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 5 hours, 53 minutes ago)
Outlaw Star. Steins;Gate. Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. Yes, I'm being serious with those last two. Some people I know who wouldn't be caught dead watching 'magical girl' shows watched those and ended up loving both. Nanoha is practically a super robot show (the creators themselves said they were inspired by Super Robot Wars, so...).

I can keep going... but a lot of good ones got covered in this thread already by others.

If you want to try a sports Anime out, though, give Hajime no Ippo a try. I'm not a fan of sports Anime either and I enjoyed that one.

Heh, Nanoha was the show that proved to adults that magical girl shows didn't have to be for kids, and succeeded wonderfully (even though the animation for the first 2 seasons were, err, not the best quality...) Same with Madoka Magica which is a lot darker then most anime out there...

Eh, to be honest, since we are just suggesting random anime now, may I suggest Code Geass? A nicely written futuristic tale with mechas and random political messages.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 6 2011, 05:42 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (civicfan14 @ 2 hours, 58 minutes ago)
Heh, Nanoha was the show that proved to adults that magical girl shows didn't have to be for kids, and succeeded wonderfully (even though the animation for the first 2 seasons were, err, not the best quality...) Same with Madoka Magica which is a lot darker then most anime out there...

Eh, to be honest, since we are just suggesting random anime now, may I suggest Code Geass? A nicely written futuristic tale with mechas and random political messages.

Suggesting Code Geass is hardly random in the context of this thread. I agree, if you're gonna throw out Eureka 7, may as well throw out Code Geass.

Looking back, though, I have to retract my suggestion of Hajime no Ippo. He said he doesn't want shows like Naruto/Bleach/One Piece/Dragonball Z/Yu Yu Hakusho/etc that are like 300+ episodes. Hajime no Ippo, if I recall correctly, is just under a hundred episodes long? I honestly forget how many it is but I know it's fairly long.

As for animation quality, are you referring to the original TV broadcast? I have the DVDs for both Nanoha and Nanoha A's and couldn't hardly make a complaint about the animation. It looks great! Though I suppose if you want to pick and choose, you could always skip the first season of Nanoha entirely and watch Nanoha the Movie 1st instead. whistling.gif That's what some people I know did and it worked fine.

Besides, there were plenty of 'quality' mistakes in Madoka when it aired on TV too, almost all of which were corrected when the blurays came out. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Mami's magical disappearing gloves. laugh.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
RalliKai
Posted: Nov 6 2011, 07:37 AM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 11:51 PM)

Just to add to the sports anime list. I'd recommend Princess Nine which I think is one of the most underrated sports series. Animation is pretty poor, even for late 90s but that's not what this thread is about. The story is quite good and you get to hear each of the players own personal stories as the series progresses.
Posted: Nov 10 2011, 05:46 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

Member No.: 16,670

avenger (2003) was pretty good if you dont want to see flashy animation. not much humour in it, relatively somber and no characters really stand out too much. the story line is basically a citizen/fighter on mars who comes across a child and she protects her from the others. it may seem boring but it has alot of intrigue for the story line and trying to find out what happened to earth and mars' past.

quote from myanimelist.net
"Mars has been colonized and is a world where children have been replaced by robot servents known as 'dolls'. Layla is a skilled fighter with a tragic past who travels about the world. Her companions are Nei, a strange and unique doll with some unknown ties to Layla, and Speedy, who is a doll breeder. The founders of Mars see the trio as a threat to their world, and each time they attack Layla and Nei a bit more of their mysterious past and future is revealed.
"

This post has been edited by 207 on Nov 10 2011, 05:48 PM
kou yuuzhen
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 06:11 AM

Point Guard

Member No.: 33,736

It really depends on what kind of genre you prefer. Very few people have equal liking for all genres, because we always have a preference for one over the others.
For me, sports --> Slam Dunk
Shoujo --> Shakugan no Shana (only the first season!), Vampire Knight (yes, I actually liked that), Skip Beat, Paradise Kiss.
Others: Death Note, Full Metal Panic, Elfen Lied, Black Lagoon, etc.
Those are the titles that I feel have a good plot, at least. Just started on Code Geass recently. I'd like to know what to watch next too, so I'll check out other members' suggestions here biggrin.gif
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 07:33 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

Member No.: 16,670

Death Note is one of the better anime out there, even the music in it is great.
Saint
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 07:51 PM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Member No.: 2,067

I agree with most titles here.

I recommend Samurai Champloo:
YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ANvMgx76SI )

2 Pages  1 2