Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 2 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Entry Maxi4

6 Pages  « 3 4 5 6  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 106,274  ·  Replies: 125 
> Signature Rules Updating
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 5 2008, 10:30 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 25,374

^ I read the link, it just wasn't completely clear to me regarding my particular situation. Yes, it does say that there is a filesize limit, but I figured perhaps it pertained only to images uploaded through this website as opposed to just linking another picture that doesn't use up idforums' resources. But then the mods had said that even linking through another website might use up other resources (i.e., people's own computer memory) that I didn't think about, so I got my answer.

This post has been edited by DeeezNuuuts83 on Mar 5 2008, 10:32 AM
phn419
Posted: Oct 7 2009, 10:46 AM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,888

is this safe as my sig?
SPOILER

This post has been edited by phn419 on Oct 7 2009, 10:46 AM
Möbius
Posted: Oct 7 2009, 01:54 PM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (phn419 @ 3 hours, 8 minutes ago)
is this safe as my sig?
SPOILER

Way too large at 1.2MB. >_<
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
phn419
Posted: Oct 7 2009, 07:34 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,888

QUOTE (Apex Carver @ 5 hours, 39 minutes ago)
Way too large at 1.2MB. >_<

*cries*
its allowed in wme forum! crying2.gif
Tessou
Posted: Oct 7 2009, 08:45 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

...and WME =/= IDW. Anything else?
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 7 2009, 08:50 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (phn419 @ 1 hour, 16 minutes ago)
*cries*

It is? Holy crap I need to get back in there and start killing massive sigs. Freaking bandwidth hogs. mad.gif
BOZZ
Posted: Oct 7 2009, 11:39 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (phn419 @ 4 hours, 4 minutes ago)
*cries*

This isn't WME... Just in case you hadn't noticed... different place, different rules... even though it's the same owner...
Saint
Posted: Oct 8 2009, 12:37 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Member No.: 2,067

It's rather strange to me that such size is even allowed in WME, because from what I read in WME, the rules for avatar and signature sizes are the same for both IDW and WME.

But heck, I notice some use avatars way over 100kb in IDW anyway.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 8 2009, 01:13 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Saint @ 35 minutes, 50 seconds ago)
It's rather strange to me that such size is even allowed in WME, because from what I read in WME, the rules for avatar and signature sizes are the same for both IDW and WME.

But heck, I notice some use avatars way over 100kb in IDW anyway.

THIS. Seriously, it's time to go pwn some n00bs like the one in this thread.
Pendulum
Posted: Oct 9 2009, 12:35 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 28,784

Seriously, Air, over on WME had, like, 10 or 20 userbars in his sig. f**kING ANNOYED THE CRAP OUT OF ME! So I notified a mod and it got fixed.

*cries*

WME is starting to get too lenient for me.

This post has been edited by Pendulum on Oct 9 2009, 12:37 PM
Spaz
Posted: Oct 11 2009, 03:47 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (Pendulum @ Oct 9 2009, 03:35 PM)
Seriously, Air, over on WME had, like, 10 or 20 userbars in his sig. f**kING ANNOYED THE CRAP OUT OF ME! So I notified a mod and it got fixed.

WME is starting to get too lenient for me.

I'd math it out and post it in the random thoughts thread every once in a while to get him to drop the size down. Never did.

And yeah, I'm sick of the shit that gets to fly over there. I only check a few threads and leave these days.
Lebon14
Posted: Oct 11 2009, 04:49 PM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

About those rules, I think that the dimensions are alright. I've seen MUCH MUCH MUCH worse signatures where you had to scroll down a lot before seeing the next posts.

For the size (i.e. KB,MB,GB...), I think with the high speed Internet available pretty much everywhere, I think that 1MB signature size would be a good limit.

For the avatar, that's enough. I think nobody ever complained about it. So, it's perfect.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 11 2009, 05:09 PM

ShiMACHaze

A mere signature should NEVER be 1MB. NEVER. Half that at most. Same goes for avatars. It sounds like a neat plan to "limit" things to 1MB, but if there's say 25 posts per page and everyone has a 1MB avatar and a 1MB signature that's 50MB of useless crap. Halving that helps, but it'd be nice if everyone was under that.
BOZZ
Posted: Oct 11 2009, 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ 59 minutes, 34 seconds ago)
About those rules, I think that the dimensions are alright. I've seen MUCH MUCH MUCH worse signatures where you had to scroll down a lot before seeing the next posts.

For the size (i.e. KB,MB,GB...), I think with the high speed Internet available pretty much everywhere, I think that 1MB signature size would be a good limit.

For the avatar, that's enough. I think nobody ever complained about it. So, it's perfect.

I concur with N1, 1 MB is overboard... Especially since not everyone has unlimited bandwidth for their high speed internet connections.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 11 2009, 08:28 PM

ShiMACHaze

Yeah. For instance, my avatar is 100kb (though it was 300 in its original larger size, resized to 100px it's just a hair under 100kb), and my sig is 11 kb. Even my larger PNG sigs are 100 kb or less. There's just no real reason to have massive filesizes on stuff like that. Five userbars is about average and that's what, 60 kb? Maybe 100 if it's a rotating GIF, maybe?

There's just no reason for such high numbers. It's irresponsible.
Saint
Posted: Oct 12 2009, 12:13 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Member No.: 2,067

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ 7 hours, 23 minutes ago)

No way. 100 and 150kb is fair enough for me. 1MB will definitely choke my line up. You have probably not experienced the agony of having to wait for minutes for a simple page like Wikipedia to load.

That's why I'm particularly pissed at people who exceed the limit allowed.

Not everyone has the priviledge of high speed Internet line, you know.
Tessou
Posted: Oct 12 2009, 01:25 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ 8 hours, 35 minutes ago)

Are these signatures IMAGES or TEXT? Anybody can make a massive signature of varying rainbow colors out of text and it won't take up hardly any space. Images, especially animated gifs and flash files, take up huge amounts of space in comparison.

Also, availability of a service and actually HAVING a service are two different things. Some people either don't care enough, don't want or just can't afford high speed internet. Lord knows, my parents just switched over from a 56k last year, and that's only because my brother pestered them for months until they cracked.

Remember the little guys. There's lots of big guys out there with their T1s, DSLs and fiber optic lines, but they're blocking your view of the little guys that are also still in existence and want the same experience you're all having. Don't make them wait 10 minutes to load a forum page. Keep it simple.
Möbius
Posted: Oct 12 2009, 06:53 AM

IDW Top Poster

Thanks guys, I wanted to post something along these lines in response, but figured it wouldn't look proper since I don't have an avvy or much of a sig anyways.

But yes, chalk up one more for the "current limits" are fine the way they are camp. smile.gif
Alex
Posted: Oct 12 2009, 12:16 PM

OG Member

Member No.: 111

Anyone else think the guidelines are in need of an overhaul? Things have been changed and they still reflect some old news. We can't be yellin' in every new guy's ear "READ THE GUIDELINES!" if they aren't up to date.
kyonpalm
Posted: Oct 12 2009, 03:27 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Alex @ 3 hours, 10 minutes ago)
Anyone else think the guidelines are in need of an overhaul? Things have been changed and they still reflect some old news. We can't be yellin' in every new guy's ear "READ THE GUIDELINES!" if they aren't up to date.

Last Revise: January 31st, 2007 by Perry

...yeah, we could use an update.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
BOZZ
Posted: Oct 12 2009, 04:09 PM

I don't think the rules are in any need of updating with regards to the signature and avatar limits. They're fine the way they are. The only thing I could see as being useful is maybe warnings for those who go over the limits.

This post has been edited by BOZZY on Oct 12 2009, 04:10 PM
Alex
Posted: Oct 12 2009, 08:03 PM

OG Member

Member No.: 111

QUOTE (BOZZY @ 3 hours, 54 minutes ago)
I don't think the rules are in any need of updating with regards to the signature and avatar limits. They're fine the way they are. The only thing I could see as being useful is maybe warnings for those who go over the limits.

The explanation of the Moderating Team is super old. We've changed that whole organization. Rules don't need to be re-written every day, but they need to be changed when changes are made.
Lebon14
Posted: Oct 12 2009, 11:40 PM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

QUOTE (Alex @ 3 hours, 37 minutes ago)
The explanation of the Moderating Team is super old. We've changed that whole organization. Rules don't need to be re-written every day, but they need to be changed when changes are made.

I agree with you Alex. You got it right. thumbsup.gif
Möbius
Posted: Oct 13 2009, 10:24 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Alex @ Yesterday, 11:03 PM)

I updated that part, thanks for the reminder.
Dem
Posted: Oct 17 2009, 09:32 PM

I love to eat cereal when I'm watching my cartoons.

Member No.: 8,128

QUOTE (BOZZY @ Oct 12 2009, 04:09 PM)

I would personally love to be able to have a bigger avatar. 100x100 really isn't that large to begin with, and most of my avatars that I use for other forums are of a larger size (usually 120x120 or sometimes 150x150) but I can understand how it would all add up, especially if everyone has animated .gif for an avatar.

Sigs...eh. I've noticed that most people don't really put too much time and worry into making their sigs look nice, so I could do without that part.

6 Pages  « 3 4 5 6