Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing Toby Ash - Jumping Up The Nations

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 5,867  ·  Replies: 50 
> Has anyone here driven an a Sprinter Trueno AE86?, would people actually recommend it?
KonradZuse
  Posted: Mar 6 2014, 02:55 PM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,074

So I was curious if anyone has driven/has an 86, like the one from Initial D which I believe is an 83' Sprinter Trueno AE86.

How does it fare on the roads? Would it be a car actually worth getting(over 30 years old now).

I'm curious if any initial D fans have bought replicas of it?

I've seen a few 86's in general for sale on certain sites, and some are replicas of Takumi's 86.

I personally have always been a huge fan of Skylines, but the symbolism of the show is huge towards that 86.

I don't know if people actually would want to drive an 86 in real life. The manga/anime basically mention how it's such an old car anyways, and it's a surprise anyone would use one to drive, which makes me think the car really isn't all that.

I've never been into the racing scene, my cousin is though. I was just curious about people's opinions of the car,

Thanks.

This post has been edited by KonradZuse on Mar 6 2014, 02:56 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 6 2014, 05:08 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Driven one.

Can see why drifters like it.

They're too expensive for what they are.

/thread
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
MetalMan777
Posted: Mar 6 2014, 07:12 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

I was following one on a race track once. It wasn't long before I was so far ahead I couldn't see it anymore. It's a cool car, no doubt, but it's not even remotely fast.

Read this:
http://motoringconbrio.com/2013/03/15/gues...olla-gt-s-ae86/

I highly recommend that site for weekly automotive inspiration.
backalleyracer
Posted: Mar 6 2014, 08:31 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 7,122

If you live in the US, you have no doubt seen muscle cars cruise around before.

Those are older, and people love them - so the whole "old car" idea I think is all relative (I have a 71' 240z, that's getting pretty old) But have also had the pleasure of driving plenty of 86's. Both on the track, and on the roads.

They get great gas mileage no matter which model you drive. The GTS models are obviously the ones you would want to get your hands on for tuning (not to say you couldn't make an SR5 quick) The real feature to them is that they are light weight, and still rear wheel drive. That is what makes it so much fun.

I guess the question is, what IS you question?
Spaz
Posted: Mar 7 2014, 10:28 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

If you want to go fast behind the wheel of a Japanese marque, get an FD, Evo, STi, or Skyline. All of those were featured in the show and actually live up to their portrayals.

The AE86 is a car that I generally group in with the Miata, it's a light, fun RWD sports car but it needs money and work to be fast. Still an absolute riot of a car to toss around from what I've heard.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
W.A.R
Posted: Mar 7 2014, 12:22 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 11,318

Driven and owned one

Loved the way it drived and felt on the road, the sound of the engine also was enjoyable The U turns in small spaces was a big plus and convience gas was really cheap insurance was cheap.

Bad side there was always something wrong with it and no matter how much money you spent on it there was always another thing fix or another thing broked down.

If you buy one here in the US the car WILL most likely have been abused it will cost you vast amount of money to buy one in great condition. If you buy one cheap you will pay so much just to maintain it.

In other words you better have the money to put with with the headaches and trials it may come with.
Lonely_Driver
Posted: Mar 7 2014, 05:08 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 38,019

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39833.0

Local build on it. Already has 20k invested in it and luckily the shell wasnt too rusty.
Banken
Posted: Mar 7 2014, 05:58 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 22,465

I drove a JDM Trueno coupe, but it just had the engine rebuilt, so I couldn't take it up very high.

My one comment was, HOLY SHIT, MANUAL STEERING IS HEAVY. Just turning a corner was a huge effort. But you never no what sort of steering an AE86 has because they made so many different versions of the steering rack, or what kind of modifications the car has.

I'm sure it would have been fun on the track with the full redline, just not very fast.

At current prices, you could buy an older GT-R, Supra, Evo, or FD3S for the same price as a clean AE86.

This post has been edited by Banken on Mar 7 2014, 06:00 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 7 2014, 06:46 PM

ShiMACHaze

>manual steering is heavy~

Never drive an S30Z.
celbii
Posted: Mar 7 2014, 07:30 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 42,250

QUOTE (Banken @ 1 hour, 32 minutes ago)
I drove a JDM Trueno coupe, but it just had the engine rebuilt, so I couldn't take it up very high.

My one comment was, HOLY SHIT, MANUAL STEERING IS HEAVY. Just turning a corner was a huge effort. But you never no what sort of steering an AE86 has because they made so many different versions of the steering rack, or what kind of modifications the car has.

I'm sure it would have been fun on the track with the full redline, just not very fast.

At current prices, you could buy an older GT-R, Supra, Evo, or FD3S for the same price as a clean AE86.

Heh the FC I bought has a manual rack, and man it is a friggen chore to turn it in the parking lot lol.

My only advice would be to buy someones elses finished or near finished project, unless you also want to dump a shitload of money into it. I just bought another FC for around 6k, and with my current FC it would have taken double that amount and I can't even begin to think of the time it would have cost me to get it to the point of the fc I just bought. So I'll lose some money from teh first one, but the time and money made up from the new one will be worth it.

So in that regards, if you pick one up, it will cost more upfront to get a clean one, but can save you a boat load of time and money unless you really want to take the time to do it yourself and invest all the money.
Banken
Posted: Mar 7 2014, 09:36 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 2 hours, 49 minutes ago)

Never drive an S30Z.

I didn't mean that all manual steering is heavy, and in fact this particular AE86 might have had a depowered power rack or power steering knuckles on a manual rack, which would have explained why it was so heavy.

Never buy someone's project. People sell projects because they get tired of all the problems the car has or how much it will cost to complete it.

You're always, always better off buying a clean, unmolested car and modifying it yourself (clean, meaning well maintained).

That said, the FC manual rack is super-duper slow (3.7 turns or some crazy number), so it shouldn't be all that heavy unless you've got huge, sticky front tires... which you shouldn't on an NA, because it's a waste of power, weight, and money.

This post has been edited by Banken on Mar 7 2014, 09:40 PM
sideways
Posted: Mar 8 2014, 01:30 AM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

At the risk of tooting my own horn here- I (would like to anyways) consider myself relatively knowledgeable about ae86s. An ae86 was my first car and is still with me to this day (Ive had it for a decade now. scary thought). If you wish you are *very* welcome to contact me (Via PM, skype, etc) and ask away- Id be glad to help you with any concerns/comments/questions as I can.

I moved to australia so I only get to drive it a couple of times a year, but it was my (only) daily until I moved away, and have put well over 100,000 miles on it in my time owning it (a scary thought), so ive a fair bit of time behind the wheel of the thing.

This post has been edited by sideways on Mar 8 2014, 01:34 AM
MetalMan777
Posted: Mar 8 2014, 01:00 PM

Snooping as usual

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 9:46 PM)

Never drive an S30Z.

Or an early MGB with wide radials. I swear there's something like 8 degrees of caster. It's a heck of a workout for a car under a ton.
Spaz
Posted: Mar 8 2014, 01:42 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (MetalMan777 @ 41 minutes, 40 seconds ago)
Or an early MGB with wide radials. I swear there's something like 8 degrees of caster. It's a heck of a workout for a car under a ton.

Haha, only gym days you need at that point are leg days. And maybe only the right one, depends on the clutch. laugh2.gif
Mazda ina Ford guy
Posted: Mar 8 2014, 02:29 PM

333 Half Evil

Member No.: 37,098

^Add non-power assist four wheel drums and you have a mobile gym. Lol awesome.gif

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
MetalMan777
Posted: Mar 10 2014, 12:50 PM

Snooping as usual

Front discs, rear drums, no power assist. It's a manly car indeed.

Clutch is pretty light (no heavier than my BMWs), it's from an RX3.
Vortrex
Posted: Mar 11 2014, 03:31 AM

1988 Toyota MR2 AW11, My Go-Kart AE86

Member No.: 38,745

I sat in two different Hachi-Roku's, and they are fun car. Even if you don't drift or race, it's still a fun car.
But it's not a race car, so if that is what you want, don't buy one. When you sit in one, you can feel the lightness and that it is made for daily driving to have fun.
It's just one of the cars that give you a big smile on your face!
Also, the engine sound is beautiful! But don't get an too big exhaust, sometimes it will kill the roaring high pitched sound of an 4AGE when you sit in the car.

This post has been edited by Vortrex on Mar 11 2014, 11:34 AM
sideways
Posted: Mar 11 2014, 09:55 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

Ill second that. From a purely "sound" perspective, a mild exhaust + "loud" intake gives the best results imo (Sucking up hot radiator air be damned, of course)
Banken
Posted: Mar 13 2014, 02:48 AM

IDW Goldmember

The induction sound is by far the best part of the 4AGE's sound. Especially on five-valves...
Winged
Posted: Mar 20 2014, 06:34 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 43,192

I drive a 1987 Toyota MR-2 AW11 (Not the one on Initial D, the gen previous). It uses the same engine as the AE86. However, the handling is even better. In reality the car is slow (the MR2 is even faster than the 86, but still slow). Most people do swaps or put turbos on the 4age. Theres one thing about the MR2, its mid engined, and extremely rewarding and fun to drive. The AE86 is bigger, more unbalanced, but I'd love to own a AE86 'rolla.
Tuskano
Posted: Mar 20 2014, 11:43 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 38,740

QUOTE (MetalMan777 @ Mar 10 2014, 12:50 PM)
Front discs, rear drums, no power assist. It's a manly car indeed.

Clutch is pretty light (no heavier than my BMWs), it's from an RX3.

As a previous owner of a 72, I would second this. Very many indeed. But terrible when all engine issues seem to come all at once to let you guess what the heck is wrong with it.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 20 2014, 03:55 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Winged @ 9 hours, 21 minutes ago)
I drive a 1987 Toyota MR-2 AW11 (Not the one on Initial D, the gen previous). It uses the same engine as the AE86. However, the handling is even better. In reality the car is slow (the MR2 is even faster than the 86, but still slow). Most people do swaps or put turbos on the 4age. Theres one thing about the MR2, its mid engined, and extremely rewarding and fun to drive. The AE86 is bigger, more unbalanced, but I'd love to own a AE86 'rolla.

Spoken like a true person who's never driven an 86. smile.gif
Banken
Posted: Mar 20 2014, 04:02 PM

IDW Goldmember

The AW11 weighs a lot more than the AE86 and is harder to drive...

It needs a supercharger to have even half-decent speed.
Winged
Posted: Mar 21 2014, 10:59 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 43,192

Aw11 weighs about the same as a corolla gts (ae86).. They use the same powerplant and have the same 0-60.. I dont see how one can be significantly slower than the other as the AW11 is a mid engined corolla.. The AW11 isn't hard to drive once you're used to mid engine cars. Mr2 supercharged? The supercharged is ok but its heavier and a 3gtse swap or a boosted 4age vs a 4agze is better imo..

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Vortrex
Posted: Mar 22 2014, 12:22 PM

1988 Toyota MR2 AW11, My Go-Kart AE86

Member No.: 38,745

QUOTE (Winged @ Yesterday, 7:59 PM)
Aw11 weighs about the same as a corolla gts (ae86).. They use the same powerplant and have the same 0-60.. I dont see how one can be significantly slower than the other as the AW11 is a mid engined corolla.. The AW11 isn't hard to drive once you're used to mid engine cars. Mr2 supercharged? The supercharged is ok but its heavier and a 3gtse swap or a boosted 4age vs a 4agze is better imo..

Ohw, you made some mistakes there. First, they don't weigh the same... If you think 300 lbs difference is equal you haven't sat in a lightweight car before tongue.gif
The difference is felt even when you just sit in a car of 1900 lbs. (AW11 = around 2200 to 2490 lbs SC)

Then, they have the same 4AGE's but not the same 0-60. I know, it depends on all factors of the oldness of the car but on a rough estimate the AW11 is 0.5 seconds faster when 0-60! (AW11: 8.2, AE86: 8.7)

The difference is the mid-engine, it gives a bit of a lead at the start.
And when racing, the AW11 is corner-exit based while the AE86 is focused on the entry.

3 Pages  1 2 3