Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing Dave Rodgers - Saturday Night Fever

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

25 Pages  1 2 3 4 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 105,454  ·  Replies: 613 
> Initial D anime licensed by Funimation, Funimation to re-dub all stages
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 27 2009, 05:47 AM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Well...crap. I wonder what I should do with my TP copies. laugh.gif Still, this is awesome news!! Finally, legit DVDs for the rest of the series. That's just spectacular, and I'll at the very least be collecting the series I don't already own legally.

...okay I'm not fooling anyone, I'm gonna end up rebuying 1-2 too. sad.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
ZeetherKID77
Posted: Sep 27 2009, 07:08 AM

Move it, bucko

Member No.: 2,311

Usually FUNimation does half season sets for series; I highly doubt they'll use singles for this because they've pretty much phased out singles.

This post has been edited by ZeetherKID77 on Sep 27 2009, 07:08 AM
Drew
Posted: Sep 27 2009, 08:26 AM

Bought not Built

Member No.: 12,733

This makes me so happy.

Finally, a proper company picks this shit up!!! grin2.gif
Import_Lexus
Posted: Sep 27 2009, 09:28 AM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,550

QUOTE (ZeetherKID77 @ 2 hours, 20 minutes ago)
Usually FUNimation does half season sets for series; I highly doubt they'll use singles for this because they've pretty much phased out singles.

okay good to know, thanks wink2.gif

i'll defiantly be re-buying the whole series smile.gif
UmmYeahOk
  Posted: Sep 27 2009, 12:27 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 33,494

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 6 hours, 40 minutes ago)
Well...crap. I wonder what I should do with my TP copies. laugh.gif

BURN EM!!!

Normally I would suggest selling them, or regifting them, but there should be no trace of Tokyopops heresy left. In fact, I suggest not even bringing up the fact that it ever even existed. Any memory of their sins will only devalue the show.

BTW, if you havent tried, microwaving them for 10 seconds is a lot more entertaining than the actual show.
Tessou
Posted: Sep 27 2009, 03:41 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ Today, 1:55 AM)
That's excellent news. I would love to see FUNimation release all the soundtracks over here in Canada. I would grab some if I go to a HMV.

FUNimation rarely releases soundtracks for their productions. I highly doubt we'll see anything aside from DVD release of the anime.
Lebon14
Posted: Sep 27 2009, 03:51 PM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

QUOTE (Tessō @ 9 minutes, 55 seconds ago)
FUNimation rarely releases soundtracks for their productions. I highly doubt we'll see anything aside from DVD release of the anime.

Aww... Shoot. What a bummer thumb_down.gif
ZeetherKID77
Posted: Sep 27 2009, 04:08 PM

Move it, bucko

Member No.: 2,311

I think all the soundtracks are on iTunes...

Tessou
Posted: Sep 27 2009, 07:33 PM

Group Icon

The US soundtracks and various Eurobeat albums are on iTunes, but not the JP Initial D soundtracks.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 27 2009, 07:53 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (UmmYeahOk @ 7 hours, 26 minutes ago)
BURN EM!!!

Normally I would suggest selling them, or regifting them, but there should be no trace of Tokyopops heresy left. In fact, I suggest not even bringing up the fact that it ever even existed. Any memory of their sins will only devalue the show.

BTW, if you havent tried, microwaving them for 10 seconds is a lot more entertaining than the actual show.

Oh wow, yet another idiot who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Must I really once again go into my rant about how the 5.1 Japanese audio track and the video quality are way better than the Japanese releases...?

Great, I get it, you don't like TokyoPop for some of the decisions they made. But dude, you can choose to watch the original Japanese version with unaltered anything, and it looks awesome. There will be no fire for these discs.
Tessou
Posted: Sep 27 2009, 07:59 PM

Group Icon

^ You said it before I decided to. I guess I just wasn't annoyed enough yet.
UmmYeahOk
  Posted: Sep 27 2009, 08:33 PM

IDW Member

QUOTE (Tessō @ 49 minutes, 33 seconds ago)
The US soundtracks and various Eurobeat albums are on iTunes, but not the JP Initial D soundtracks.

FUNimation did release several Dragon Ball Z CDs way back when. What may happen is that CDs will be released, but licensed through FUNi. You dont go through the trouble of getting licensing rights to Avex songs and not do anything with it.

Though historically, they havent really done anything. I believe they will with this. Even if its just an american release of the same albums we all have.

Oh wow, yet another idiot who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Must I really once again go into my rant about how the 5.1 Japanese audio track and the video quality are way better than the Japanese releases...?

Great, I get it, you don't like TokyoPop for some of the decisions they made. But dude, you can choose to watch the original Japanese version with unaltered anything, and it looks awesome. There will be no fire for these discs.

Geez, sorry. I had no idea that people actually liked that babyish teenage mutant ninja turtle wannabe rapper crap.

AND I have no idea what you are talking about 5.1 audio and video quality. I happen to own all the stages. They ALL have 5.1 surround... ...they ALL have beautiful quality... ...and they ALL are not tokyopop. Are you comparing your lame TP collection to some crappy divx you pulled off the web? Or did you seriously buy both Japanese and TP and compared them side by side?

You cant seriously tell me that Tokyopop upconverted and remastered everything, and remixed the entire japanese audio at a higher bitrate. If they did anything to the original audio, it was splicing in their own crappy music (I dont know, I never watched TP's Japanese version). If youre saying that I have the choice to watch the original japanese version, then it would be original, not magically better. Are you sure you didnt just watch TPs version in your family room, with all the nice components and speakers and didnt watch the japanese dvd in your bedroom with the 15 yo tv? Or is it that your LA pride cant picture the fact that anything produced outside LA could be any better?

This post has been edited by UmmYeahOk on Sep 27 2009, 08:36 PM
Tessou
Posted: Sep 27 2009, 10:35 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (UmmYeahOk @ 2 hours, 2 minutes ago)
FUNimation did release several Dragon Ball Z CDs way back when. What may happen is that CDs will be released, but licensed through FUNi. You dont go through the trouble of getting licensing rights to Avex songs and not do anything with it.

Though historically, they havent really done anything. I believe they will with this. Even if its just an american release of the same albums we all have.

Geez, sorry. I had no idea that people actually liked that babyish teenage mutant ninja turtle wannabe rapper crap. 

AND I have no idea what you are talking about 5.1 audio and video quality. I happen to own all the stages. They ALL have 5.1 surround... ...they ALL have beautiful quality... ...and they ALL are not tokyopop. Are you comparing your lame TP collection to some crappy divx you pulled off the web? Or did you seriously buy both Japanese and TP and compared them side by side?

You cant seriously tell me that Tokyopop upconverted and remastered everything, and remixed the entire japanese audio at a higher bitrate. If they did anything to the original audio, it was splicing in their own crappy music (I dont know, I never watched TP's Japanese version). If youre saying that I have the choice to watch the original japanese version, then it would be original, not magically better. Are you sure you didnt just watch TPs version in your family room, with all the nice components and speakers and didnt watch the japanese dvd in your bedroom with the 15 yo tv? Or is it that your LA pride cant picture the fact that anything produced outside LA could be any better?

BECK didn't get a US release of the fantastic soundtrack, now did it? Just because they license the soundtrack doesn't mean it will get a release. Remember that the soundtracks they released for DBZ were for the Bruce Faulconer US BGM and not the original Japanese BGM.

Also, I wouldn't step on N1's toes like you are. If anybody knows video and audio quality, it's him. He's not speaking from "YOYOYO L.A. PRYDE" or from a 15 year old television. The man knows his shit. Try and treat people with a little more respect than just crying when they have something to say against your viewpoint.

Ninja Turtles?

This post has been edited by Tessō on Sep 27 2009, 10:37 PM
Godot
Posted: Sep 27 2009, 11:48 PM

Aka FC3SSavannaIII

Member No.: 17,363

If they did anything to the original audio, it was splicing in their own crappy music (I dont know, I never watched TP's Japanese version)

Obviously if you never seen the TP Japanese version, then why rant about it?
Its like your trolling your own thread -.-

The boxes for the TP release were odd. Every time I bought a DVD, when I get home the disc inner ring always had a crack so I returned it for a brand new one.

This post has been edited by FC3SSavannaIII on Sep 28 2009, 12:40 AM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 27 2009, 11:53 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (UmmYeahOk @ 3 hours, 19 minutes ago)

Oh wow. You think I liked the changes. Cool story bro, try reading for comprehension next time instead of automatically knee-jerk reacting with ZOMG TOKYOPOP SUCKS AT EVERYTHING MAKE THEM DIE ANYONE WHO LIKES THEIR SHIT SUCKS OLOLOL. Just a tip.

As for not knowing what I'm talking about in terms of video quality, you're new, so you don't really know me. That's fine. I'm guessing you've never actually looked at the TokyoPop DVDs on a computer before, comparing them to the stuff on the R2 releases. You seem to be rather sickened by TokyoPop, so it's understandable you wouldn't own any of the R1 DVDs to judge with. That's fine.

DivXs downloaded from the web? Uh... yeah. Again... you're new... so you aren't aware about the saga where I started a fansub project on Initial D Battle Stage after getting my hands on the R2 source. How I ended up showing people how crappy the R2 source was, and wishing it had half the clarity of the R1 First and Second Stage releases. If you'd like, I guess I could be bothered to provide example frames from the DVD to show you what I mean. The short of it is, the new CG sections are done in progressive, with the old series source (in-car views for instance) done interlaced and with 3:2 pulldown. If you don't know what that means, that's fine, it's on wiki. Basically they spliced a bunch of different source together rather than re-encode the whole thing from scratch, resulting in a mish-mash of sources that were an absolute pain to get to look right. I'm still not happy with how it came out.

And if you have the R2 releases of every stage, then surely you have the one for Fourth Stage. How could you not complain about how that was encoded? They took the original digital master (remember, Fourth Stage was done completely digitally!)... then encoded it as letterboxed, even though the original source was widescreen. So rather than encode the video to 720x480 and then have it anamorphically extend to 853x480, they just put ugly black bars on the top and bottom, resulting in a significant loss of useable source resolution. Why!? It doesn't make any sense to do it like that.

Please, don't diss TokyoPop over their DVD releases. I cannot comment on their manga release, nor their VHS releases... but as I own every Initial D DVD they released, I can at least say this. The quality the put into doing the DVD masters was amazingly clear. The Japanese audio is there, unaltered, in 5.1 or stereo. The original unaltered Japanese video is there, and looks spectacular. That alone is enough reason that merely destroying the discs is a complete waste. So the dub isn't great. No one's holding a gun to my head telling me I have to watch it.

Oh, and yet again, since you're new, you aren't aware that I've lived 17 years of my life in upstate New York (you know, that part six hours away from NYC that no one thinks exists?) and only recently moved to Orange, California (which is likewise an hour or so from this Los Angeles you seem to enjoy ragging on).

Try to get your facts straight before flaming someone. The join date, post count as well as proper spelling and grammar should have given away that I'm not someone you want to do that to.

Have a good night.
Tessou
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 12:06 AM

Group Icon

That's what happens when you...
user posted image
BOZZ
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 12:18 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

Btw, N1, wasn't there some issues with even the video quality of the First Stage DVDs from the Tokyopop releases? I recall something about there being some distortion, it sort of looked like a tear of some kind, in some episodes of First Stage...
DXPetti
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 02:28 AM

IDW Special Member

Member No.: 11,807

Bluray release with high quality rip from the original masters please?
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 02:54 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (BOZZY @ 2 hours, 35 minutes ago)
Btw, N1, wasn't there some issues with even the video quality of the First Stage DVDs from the Tokyopop releases? I recall something about there being some distortion, it sort of looked like a tear of some kind, in some episodes of First Stage...

Not that I can recall. I'd have to go back through to confirm, but from my recollection, I only ran into those during scene changes in Battle Stage. However, it's definitely possible that the "scene-change tear" appeared in the TP DVDs. Those are fairly easy to deal with though, as they're really an extra frame. Crop that one frame out and it's smooth. For whatever reason, watching it on a TV doesn't show it.

There was a similar thing in Battle Stage during the Mako&Sayuki race. At one point, the frame as a whole actually shifted right so significantly that cropping it would've completely broken the encode. I to this day haven't figured out how it works, as again, watching it on a TV looks fine, but on a computer it's downright jarring.

DXPetti: That would work well for Fourth Stage and Wangan Midnight (though the parts where they cut corners on some of the textures would become fairly glaringly obvious), and Third Stage would probably look good assuming the original source was 35mm. First and Second Stage, though... I'm not sure how well that would work out.
Import_Lexus
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 06:22 AM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 22,550

keep your tokyo pop dvd's they will get rare

and everyone loves rare stuff wink2.gif

and for UmmYeahOk who said burn them, i want to see you take $300 cash out of your wallet that you don't have because your obviously don't know what money is and probably get your parents to buy you everything. YOU LITTLE BABY !

but yeah burn $300 cash first then i'll burn my dvd;s just for you pretty boy wink2.gif

This post has been edited by Import_Lexus on Sep 28 2009, 06:32 AM
kou yuuzhen
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 06:54 AM

Point Guard

Member No.: 33,736

QUOTE (UmmYeahOk @ Sep 26 2009, 09:03 AM)
Oh gees! Come on people! Why is it that every time I make a thread everyone comes in here thinking its news about a 5th stage?!? No where in any of my threads do I ever talk about stage 5.

you mean you have another thread like this? rolleyes.gif
uhh..... try to consider a better title for your thread the next time?

microwaving all the TP releases? ok..... i understand that some people can get over-heated sometimes when they talk. nothing to be bothered about wink2.gif
kyonpalm
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 10:48 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

Yeeeaaahhh mmmkay.
*completely ignores all bullshit*

So Don, mind providing some comparison screencaps? I was surprised to hear this! You sure know your stuff!
UmmYeahOk
  Posted: Sep 28 2009, 11:25 AM

IDW Member

QUOTE (Import_Lexus @ 4 hours, 58 minutes ago)
keep your tokyo pop dvd's they will get rare

and everyone loves rare stuff  wink2.gif

and for UmmYeahOk who said burn them, i want to see you take $300 cash out of your wallet that you don't have because your obviously don't know what money is and probably get your parents to buy you everything. YOU LITTLE BABY !

but yeah burn $300 cash first then i'll burn my dvd;s just for you pretty boy  wink2.gif

First of all, if youre wasting $300 on TP DVDs, then you obviously live with your parents and dont have to spend your money on anything important, thats why you would waste so much money on such crap! Microwaving $300 worth of TPs Initial D is a WHOLE lot worth it than actually watching the show itself! THATS how bad the show actually is. Why should I burn $300 when you already proved that youre more than willing to flush it down Tokyopops toilet?

I would never in my life waste so much money on a dying medium for a show so poorly dubbed. You have any idea what you just did? You helped Tokyopop believe the show wasnt a complete failure. Rather than give up, they released season sets. FUNi could have redubed the show a LONG LONG time ago, but no. You gave them $300. That $300 says to them that what they did was right... ...that all anime they dub should be americanized in such horrible fashion.

What you did is no different than supporting terrorists. You let them win! You wanna know why theres so many crappy reality shows on TV? Because people like you watch. You cant just turn off the TV, you cant just NOT BUY.

Though I really cant support pirating fan subs, I can suggest buying foreign copies. That way youre supporting the ID franchise, and NOT Tokyopop. IMO thats not wasting money.

To accuse me of being a spoiled baby because I wouldnt waste my money on garbage or that I would rather buy asian copies is completely absurd! Grow up!

QUOTE (Tessō)
Ninja Turtles?

You seriously dont think Itsuki-wait-"Iggy" sounded way too much like Michelangelo? And Im talking about the 80s TMNTs. You know... ...Radical! Cowabunga! Bodacious!

QUOTE (FC3SSavannaIII)
Obviously if you never seen the TP Japanese version, then why rant about it?
Its like your trolling your own thread -.-

To watch their subs, Id have to BUY IT. Besides, everyone who agrees with me at how bad the dub is also claims how bad the subs were. So they WERE edited after all. Wasted money.

The boxes for the TP release were odd. Every time I bought a DVD, when I get home the disc inner ring always had a crack so I returned it for a brand new one.

Sucks that youre forced to return it for an exact copy. Not actually get a refund.

QUOTE (Nomake Wan)

QUOTE (UmmYeahOk @ 3 hours, 19 minutes ago)

Oh wow. You think I liked the changes. Cool story bro, try reading for comprehension next time instead of automatically knee-jerk reacting with ZOMG TOKYOPOP SUCKS AT EVERYTHING MAKE THEM DIE ANYONE WHO LIKES THEIR SHIT SUCKS OLOLOL. Just a tip.

Well, I only assume that based off of what I saw them do with Initial D. I am not an anime purest. I like my anime dubbed... ...what little anime I do watch. I like ID not because it anime, but because I like the music and the cars. The story is just a plus. Changing any one of these three things, which they end up doing twice, completely ruins the show for me. Thankfully I watched the fansub first. Had I first been introduced to it through TPs version I would have never finished 1st stage.

With that said, Im not going to waste my time or money with TP. Its possible that they have done some right things with shows, but since I am never going to give them a try, I cant compliment nor complain about them.

DivXs downloaded from the web? Uh... yeah. Again... you're new... so you aren't aware about the saga where I started a fansub project on Initial D Battle Stage after getting my hands on the R2 source. How I ended up showing people how crappy the R2 source was, and wishing it had half the clarity of the R1 First and Second Stage releases. If you'd like, I guess I could be bothered to provide example frames from the DVD to show you what I mean.

When was this done? before you were a member here? Just was curious since it had been released years before your sign up date.

And yes, please provide examples. Besides I consider Battle stage just something extra for fans. If its poorer quality than 1 &2, its possible that the japanese cut corners, just like the americans do with direct-to-video

And if you have the R2 releases of every stage, then surely you have the one for Fourth Stage. How could you not complain about how that was encoded? They took the original digital master (remember, Fourth Stage was done completely digitally!)... then encoded it as letterboxed, even though the original source was widescreen. So rather than encode the video to 720x480 and then have it anamorphically extend to 853x480, they just put ugly black bars on the top and bottom, resulting in a significant loss of useable source resolution. Why!? It doesn't make any sense to do it like that.

Please, don't diss TokyoPop over their DVD releases. I cannot comment on their manga release, nor their VHS releases... but as I own every Initial D DVD they released, I can at least say this. The quality the put into doing the DVD masters was amazingly clear. The Japanese audio is there, unaltered, in 5.1 or stereo. The original unaltered Japanese video is there, and looks spectacular. That alone is enough reason that merely destroying the discs is a complete waste. So the dub isn't great. No one's holding a gun to my head telling me I have to watch it.

I found nothing wrong with my 5.1 japanese originals. Heck, I own all the simpsons DVDs, and most of them have interlacing. Youre telling me that TP is better than FOX? I can understand the interlacing considering the frame rate, but I dont believe for one minute that TP would deinterlace every single scene. Not unless such quality was already provided for them. I could see FUNi, maybe, but TP? no way.

And maybe if I were fluent in japanese unaltered video and audio would mean something, but if I have to use TPs translations, and risk the possibility that the audio and/or video has been altered in anyway. Its too much to risk paying good money for it.

Oh, and yet again, since you're new, you aren't aware that I've lived 17 years of my life in upstate New York (you know, that part six hours away from NYC that no one thinks exists?) and only recently moved to Orange, California (which is likewise an hour or so from this Los Angeles you seem to enjoy ragging on).

So youre a Yorker. Thats explains the better-than-you attitude that I mistook for LA pride.

Really, if you dont like the TP version, then why do you defend it so?

Try to get your facts straight before flaming someone. The join date, post count as well as proper spelling and grammar should have given away that I'm not someone you want to do that to.

Have a good night.

So youve been a member since 2005? Who the hell cares? Ive already mentioned in a different thread how I have been a member for years, just never active, and somehow my account got deleted because of it. There was no need for me to post. I hated TPs version. Everyone agreed with me. When new episodes came out, Id come here just to find the link to it (buying legal copies later) Ive been watching this show since Battle Stage 1 was new. There was no need for me to rush in and sign up to every online forum dedicated to it. So congratulations on spending youre entire life on the web. You must be so proud of yourself

This post has been edited by UmmYeahOk on Sep 28 2009, 12:22 PM
kyonpalm
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 11:46 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

user posted image
LOLOLOL

BTW: You don't HAVE to buy the TP DVDs to see their subbed version. I've seen full TP DVD rips around the net. Check here. wink2.gif
UmmYeahOk
  Posted: Sep 28 2009, 12:10 PM

IDW Member

QUOTE (kou yuuzhen @ 5 hours, 15 minutes ago)
you mean you have another thread like this?  rolleyes.gif 
uhh..... try to consider a better title for your thread the next time?

Gee, sorry. The title was originally titled "Initial D Redubbed!" but when sticked it was changed to "Initial D anime licensed by Funimation" which was when 5th stage comments started pouring in.

Im sorry, but I cant make it any more clearer that this has nothing to do with a 5th stage. If I title it "NOT ABOUT 5TH STAGE" I just put "5th stage" in the title, and people are going to see that and comment about it.

QUOTE (ryosuke63)

BTW: You don't HAVE to buy the TP DVDs to see their subbed version. I've seen full TP DVD rips around the net. Check here. wink2.gif

How do I know its TPs version? I cant find anything on the internet that specifies what version, and the reviews on link you showed me make it sound like the original japanese

This post has been edited by UmmYeahOk on Sep 28 2009, 12:16 PM

25 Pages  1 2 3 4 »