Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing (Battle Stage 2) Idol - Idol

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 19,737  ·  Replies: 53 
> Sentai Filmworks bringing New Initial D 1-3 to US.
Seri
Posted: Nov 9 2017, 04:40 PM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

https://flic.kr/p/21gjeK1

Too lazy to embed.

Source: Me, with a copy I was sent a month early.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
fujito10
Posted: Nov 9 2017, 04:43 PM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 47,812

QUOTE (Seri @ 3 minutes, 16 seconds ago)
https://flic.kr/p/21gjeK1

Too lazy to embed.

Source: Me, with a copy I was sent a month early.

You're really lucky to have received a copy early!
Tessou
Posted: Nov 9 2017, 10:15 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

According to Seri, quite a few of the Funimation VAs returned for the Sentai dub. Definitely worth checking out.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Eternal Firebird
  Posted: Nov 14 2017, 02:18 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 47,345

QUOTE (Seri @ Nov 10 2017, 12:31 AM)
Here's your dub cast.

Almost everyone in the main cast is the same, except Keisuke, who is worse. (Gray G. Haddock)

So the voice actor who did voice acting for RWBY voiced Keisuke, huh?
Disappointed of the fact that Todd Haberkorn didn't return (I'm assuming he was either busy or Sentai couldn't locate him), but Its great to see Joel McDonald voicing Takumi again.
fujito10
Posted: Nov 14 2017, 03:10 PM

IDW Expert Member

Now if only FUNI could dub Fifth-Final Stage! That would be something, though it's ULTRA unlikely.
Tessou
Posted: Nov 14 2017, 10:25 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (fujito10 @ 7 hours, 14 minutes ago)
Now if only FUNI could dub Fifth-Final Stage! That would be something, though it's ULTRA unlikely.

I will have an official update on that tomorrow.
fujito10
Posted: Nov 15 2017, 12:50 PM

IDW Expert Member

QUOTE (Tessou @ Yesterday, 10:25 PM)
I will have an official update on that tomorrow.

You mean they ARE going to dub it? It sounds too good to be true.
Tessou
Posted: Nov 15 2017, 01:15 PM

Group Icon

The word from Funimation is that they have no plans to continue production of the series. We already knew that. As we saw with Legend 1, that doesn't mean they won't lend their VAs to Sentai. They just have no interest in acquiring the license to the last seasons for themselves.

The word from Sentai is that they have no public announcement to make but they are well aware of the interest in the franchise in the US. It has more to do with dealing with Animax and Sony than anything else, considering how profits would be handled.

Fingers crossed, boys. We might have the complete series dubbed after all.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 15 2017, 01:24 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Don't particularly care about the dub. Do particularly care about getting domestic bluray releases of the whole series.
fujito10
Posted: Nov 15 2017, 02:00 PM

IDW Expert Member

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 35 minutes, 56 seconds ago)
Don't particularly care about the dub. Do particularly care about getting domestic bluray releases of the whole series.

I especially wanna see both Battle Stages and Extra Stage 2 on BD, too! As well as Third and Fourth!
Import_Lexus
Posted: Nov 16 2017, 06:23 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 22,550

QUOTE (Tessou @ Yesterday, 1:15 PM)
The word from Funimation is that they have no plans to continue production of the series. We already knew that. As we saw with Legend 1, that doesn't mean they won't lend their VAs to Sentai. They just have no interest in acquiring the license to the last seasons for themselves.

The word from Sentai is that they have no public announcement to make but they are well aware of the interest in the franchise in the US. It has more to do with dealing with Animax and Sony than anything else, considering how profits would be handled.

Fingers crossed, boys. We might have the complete series dubbed after all.

That would be amazing! I wish we could get all of the series on official release in english dub.

Also glad to see some of the cast return!!!

I already have this pre-ordered. I support everything Initial D that comes over to North America haha smile.gif
Seri
Posted: Nov 17 2017, 05:25 AM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

Here's movie 2 news.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-brie...arch-13/.124129

March 13th, 2018.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Import_Lexus
Posted: Nov 17 2017, 07:05 PM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (Seri @ Today, 5:25 AM)
Here's movie 2 news.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-brie...arch-13/.124129

March 13th, 2018.

Awesome! Thanks for heads up smile.gif
Import_Lexus
Posted: Nov 20 2017, 07:37 AM

IDW Regular Member

So really weird...on the Canadian amazon website, the release date now shows as Jan.2.2018

While everywhere else it shows as Dec.5.2017

keg11
Posted: Nov 30 2017, 11:39 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 38,131

Is anyone from Australia planning on preordering Legend 1 from Sentai and shipping it from the US? Wondering as there is no listing of it on Madman, Siren Visual etc.
Import_Lexus
Posted: Jan 16 2018, 07:53 PM

IDW Regular Member

So, anybody else pick up the movie other than me on here? smile.gif

I have watched it twice in the English Dub.

It was great to see a lot of the voice actors return for there roles.

The few new voices actors...at first I wasn't a big fan of...however, during the 2nd watch I'm already used to them and enjoyed the movie even more!

Cannot wait for movie 2 & 3 biggrin.gif

Import_Lexus
Posted: Jun 21 2018, 07:01 PM

IDW Regular Member

Got the 3rd movie this week smile.gif

I've done my part in supporting Initial D haha smile.gif

Now if they would do 5th stage and final stage dub...that would be amazing.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: unknown. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
Tessou
Posted: Jun 22 2018, 03:57 AM

Group Icon

True torture is sitting through the Legend 3 dub. The VAs clearly phoned it in, Sentai misspelled the name of the damn series on the box, and I wasted an hour of my life suffering through the mess of poorly written dialogue.

God damn but this series cannot catch a break in the US.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 22 2018, 03:29 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Tessou @ Today, 3:57 AM)
...Sentai misspelled the name of the damn series on the box...

Got a pic? It doesn't appear to be misspelled in the photo above your post.
Tessou
Posted: Jun 22 2018, 06:35 PM

Group Icon

It's on the back. Hold on, let me dig it up.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1440 x 2560. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
PWNatorPWNED
Posted: Jun 22 2018, 10:21 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 41,831

QUOTE (fujito10 @ Nov 9 2017, 04:34 PM)
Beg pardon, but... heh... just where can I find the dub cast?

This is what it says on the ANN page (scroll towards the bottom).
Tessou
Posted: Jun 23 2018, 05:43 AM

Group Icon

Here are a few notes I made during my "Intitial" viewing of the dubbed version. You can tell pretty much immediately that the voice actors didn't give much of a shit about this.

Itsuki pronounces the name of his AE85 as "Leveen".

Natsuki refers to the AE86 as "the Torino".

Dialog throughout refers to Takumi as being a member of the SpeedStars.

Bunta says that Takumi improving his skills has been "a real cool deal", and that "one of these days, he'll surpass me, and then begin to want to do what he wants his way." Bunta then hears Takumi driving the S13 and says "he's making some sweet music down there".

Keisuke's VA is just as awful as ever. He tends to put inflection on the wrong part of his lines, especially when questioning Ryosuke detuning the FC.

Ryosuke's VA gave up on this dub before he even started recording. There's no passion here.

VAs pronounce names and places differently. Sometimes it's Aka-gi, sometimes aKAgi.

Miki sounds like a 35 year old chain smoker and pronounces Natsuki "Naat-sookee" every time.

Takumi is distracted by "S-SEX ON THE BRAAAAAIIIN!" and Itsuki says he'll refocus Takumi "without emotions like envy or jealousy or heavy sweats."

Keisuke: "Those two are in entirely different leagues. When they race, one of them will lose." Thanks, Captain Obvious.

At the starting line, Iketani notes the large crowd. "They must be here out of appreciation for their super technique!"

Spectator dialog in general is awful. Some of the actors are trying a little bit, but most of them sound like they lost a bet and have to record for this dub.

Takumi trying to catch up to Ryosuke: "If I can gain on him, even just a meter. I can get closer to that white RX-7 that's racing in front of me!" Where else would the FC be, Takumi?

Shingo, upon seeing the FC approach the final corner with the AE86 right behind: "OH YEAH! THE EIGHT SIX IS SNAPPING AT HIS ASS!!"

The climactic "lines are going to cross!" scene. Shingo's lines: "THE FC IS FISHTAILING, IT'S STALLING OUT, IT CAN'T GRIP! WHAT THE... IT'S BROKEN THROUGH!"

Post-final corner. Nakazato: "Sent chills up my spine. Freaking off the hook." Shingo: "Hell yeah."

The dub is trash. I also noted an issue with the bluray that I'll need to check against earlier rips. During the race, one spectator scene has a guy that didn't have the top of his head drawn. It seems like it was cut off right where the matte (black bars) would normally be. Was the movie originally shown in 1.37:1 and unmasked to 1.85:1 for this release?
Import_Lexus
Posted: Jun 23 2018, 06:35 PM

IDW Regular Member

@Tessou I think your being a bit too harsh haha....but I do agree....Sentai dubs tend to be quirt mediocre or worse when it's a sub only release, hence why I was originally disappointed that it wasn't Funimation bringing the Legend movies over.

In fact...I generally boycott Sentai releases due to sub only releases or especially for there typical Sentai prices. I paid around $40-50 per movie in Canada. Ridiculous prices.

The only reason why I didn't boycott this release was because it was Initial D.....a series that gets little support in North America and also one of my favorites.
~

Well.....anyways in other positive news....did anyone notice how Takumi's shirt after the race when he talks to Ryosuke's says "move"....I think we know who they are referring to here biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Import_Lexus on Jun 23 2018, 06:39 PM
Tessou
Posted: Jun 24 2018, 02:39 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Import_Lexus @ 8 hours, 4 minutes ago)
@Tessou I think your being a bit too harsh haha....but I do agree....Sentai dubs tend to be quirt mediocre or worse when it's a sub only release, hence why I was originally disappointed that it wasn't Funimation bringing the Legend movies over.

1. how can a sub-only release have a mediocre dub? That doesn't make sense.

2. I have dubs from all three companies that licensed Initial D here. I thought Tokyopop was bad, but at least they were consistently bad throughout their two seasons. Sentai started somewhat decent and shat the bed with Legend 3. I'm not being harsh, I'm being fair. The quality took a nosedive.
Import_Lexus
Posted: Jun 26 2018, 01:17 PM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (Tessou @ Jun 24 2018, 02:39 AM)
1. how can a sub-only release have a mediocre dub? That doesn't make sense.

2. I have dubs from all three companies that licensed Initial D here. I thought Tokyopop was bad, but at least they were consistently bad throughout their two seasons. Sentai started somewhat decent and shat the bed with Legend 3. I'm not being harsh, I'm being fair. The quality took a nosedive.

1. Oh I mean whenever Sentai does do a English Dub it's "mediocre" haha
I dislike it when they do just a Japanese Dub though and refuse to do an English Dub like they did for Rin-Ne which I really wanted to purchase until I found out it was Sub-only.

Hope this makes sense now haha

2. Yeah I have all the Dubs also, and one positive thing I will say about the Tokyo Dub was Iketani's voice actor which was Crispin Freeman.
Wish he carried over to the Funimation Dub.

Overall Funimation did it best, but I'm glad Sentai managed to carry some voice actors over from Funimation.

This post has been edited by Import_Lexus on Jun 26 2018, 01:18 PM

3 Pages  1 2 3