Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing Super Eurobeat Presents - Initial D ~Hyper Mega Mix~

5 Pages  « 2 3 4 5  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 78,982  ·  Replies: 108 
> AWD And 4WD
hellbent
Posted: Jan 10 2006, 08:47 PM

Married to his R6 since August 22.

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 4,490

I might have some laying around. Being as I used to be the skyline nerd.

I can tell u with a diffent answer it is in no way compared to the Murano. Ive seen both and trust me, way different.

WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Jan 10 2006, 08:51 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

I'm sure well from over 5-15 years there would be some differences there but if you can find that pic it'd be helpful. I'm just curious.

I've been scouring all the image search engines for hours and cant find one decent picture of the complete underside.

A friend of mine keeps insisting that the Skyline's center differential is different from a center differential that you might find in an Audi or Subaru - in that it's not really a differential but a transfercase. I dont know any better so i want to verify if he's right or not as I've seen the underside of the Nissan Murano and Infiniti FX45 and there is a transfercase - but the driver has no control over when it's in 4wd or 2wd - just like a Skyline GTR.

BTW, dont the G35X, FX45 and Murano work on a safety oriented version of the ATTESA-ETS system?

This post has been edited by 2.5RS DEMON on Jan 10 2006, 09:01 PM
hellbent
Posted: Jan 10 2006, 09:42 PM

Married to his R6 since August 22.

Member No.: 4,490

Only the g35X and M35/45 have the ATTESA system. i dont believe the fx45 nor the murano has it. Of course the one on the m series may have the same name, but I believe the skyline system is far superior.

ur right about the no control on the skyline part. the system determines were is best to send the power. before a turn and turn-in, the power goes to the rear. coming out of corner, the system sends most of the power to the front.

let me get back to u, on the difference between the sooby, audi. gtr
since I havent studied on those 2 yet. so iam going to hold my answr until I do some research.

P.S.- I know i have some pics of the underside, just cant seem to find them.
ams14
Posted: Jan 13 2006, 06:38 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 4,825

LOL I remember when I had to explain the diff between AWD and 4WD to my friends,they taught they were both the same.
sotti
Posted: Feb 23 2006, 10:49 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,084

this has probably been covered already, but I'll retierate it for fun.

AWD and 4WD ARE MARKETING TERMS

a car that claims to be AWD or 4WD will have 3 differentials and possibly a transfer case.

how many wheels drive power to the ground depens entirely on what kind of differentals you have.

several types of differentials are:
viscous coupling
clutch pack
torsen
helical
locking
eleco/hyrdolic clutch pack
open
and more

You can have two wheel drive AWD as many subarus.
where the differentials are

O
|
V
|
O

open - visoucous - open so side to side only one wheel gets power but front to back both ends get power.

Or how bout a WRX (non STI)

O
|
V
|
V

So now both rear wheels always get power and one of the front wheels.

Then there is the STI:

H
|
EC
|
H

Where you've got helical LSDs front and back and electronic center diff. All four wheels all the time. hmm maybe subaru sould call it 2, 3, or 4 wheel drive.

Then audi does it like this
O
|
T
|
O

the torsen center send power front to back and the side to side torque transfer is handled by the ABS system.

Or there are 4WD trucks

LD
|
LG + xfer case
|
H

Where the front diff is locked all the time, and the rear diff is helical so it allows some slipping. So the center diff can be unlocked to drive only the rear wheels, or locked to drive both. And The transfer cas can put the transmission in low range multipling the torque.

Just about any type of diff can be setup to bias to one side. Some respond instantly to changing torque loads, some are reactive to wheel speed (so slippage has to occour first) and others are computer controlled. You can use any combinations of these to create a "perfect" AWD system.

Basically if it's got drive axels front and back you can call it AWD or 4WD!

THE MAGIC IS IN THE DIFFS

This post has been edited by sotti on Feb 23 2006, 10:54 AM
JDMMA70
Posted: Jul 19 2006, 12:31 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 18,879

ATESSA is actually Porsche not Nissan. The technology was first used on the Porsche 959, later Nissan adopted it to its Skyline GT-R
sotti
Posted: Jul 19 2006, 12:49 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 2,084

QUOTE (JDMMA70 @ Today at 1:31 PM)
ATESSA is actually Porsche not Nissan. The technology was first used on the Porsche 959, later Nissan adopted it to its Skyline GT-R

Sorry, you are just wrong.

ATTESA is a nissan developed system. they may have talked to porsche about it, but the configuration is very different. Although it does share some simliarities with the porsches ability to shift power around it's not what's in the 959 at all.
JDMMA70
Posted: Jul 19 2006, 01:18 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 18,879

QUOTE (sotti @ Today at 1:49 PM)
Sorry, you are just wrong.

ATTESA is a nissan developed system. they may have talked to porsche about it, but the configuration is very different. Although it does share some simliarities with the porsches ability to shift power around it's not what's in the 959 at all.

from what I know it was just redesigned but the original concept belongs to Porsche
Shirogane
Posted: Dec 25 2006, 12:00 AM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Member No.: 17,722

I rather get a Montero rather than a CR-V since the AWD system is somehow dissatisfying, you pretty much know why.

P.S. i dont know if this is old or something.

This post has been edited by JZX100 on Dec 25 2006, 05:34 PM
megamonkey@hotmail
Posted: May 12 2007, 02:49 AM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 21,488

wow, i don't know wat to think now, i'm just gona stick with and evo9 and beliving that it's magical
HorizontalMitsubishi
Posted: May 12 2007, 10:48 AM

Part of the Tessou Signature Series

Member No.: 2,022

i remember a few months ago i went up into the canyons with the pimp mobile (2001 qx4 fully loaded) and it was solid ice and there was a wrx wagon tring to make it up it was the funniest shit i have ever seen. one tire would spin, then another would spin and it was go around the car of tires spinning and stop then the car would move a foot or so and stop and do it all over again. i just cruised right buy him with the qx4 in 4wd mode. that car has 4wd mode and 1wd drive mode because it has a locker out back. i tried to drive it in 2wd mode and it would go anywhere. but i did do some cool awd donuts.
Fujiwara Bunta-san
Posted: May 20 2007, 06:04 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 24,506

the post by BOZZ is of a great deal of technical competence... I will detail the Nissan ATTESA-ETS with Super-HICAS system and its performance dynamics as well as tuning dynamics later.... Zach (Takeshi) really loves those Skylines, be it GTS-t type M or full-blown GT-R , he doesn't care... and that's my real life friend, too... he told me that he loved Skylines way before I even knew what Inital D was... I have been interested in Japan since 1992, but I have only known about the mere existence (much less anything else) about Inital D since 2005.

I've been drifting quite well in real life for nine years now (half my lifespan so far) and my perspective on and in life has been totally and utterly changed ever since I bought the Live Action in '05... and for these reasons, I am justified in calling myself the "real Bunta..."

I prefer to let my actual driving do the talking rather than do something stupid like be arrogant or brag about something that does not have any substance.

I really really can drift... in the REAL world... and it's pretty cool for me personally... I know I'll be an Icon once I get over to Japan for the first time... hopefully in the next Twelve months. Twenty-four months absolute max...
wangan_sti
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 03:40 AM

GodHand of Wangan

Member No.: 25,056

This tread is getting intresting!!!

my impression of AWD is that its full time but send torque to diffrent wheels for traction
Also there are different types of awd like S-awd n DCCD

This post has been edited by wangan_sti on Jun 28 2007, 03:41 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 12:06 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (wangan_sti @ Today at 4:40 AM)
my impression of AWD is that its full time but send torque to diffrent wheels for traction

Also there are different types of awd like S-awd n DCCD

You just contradicted yourself there. You got the first one wrong, and the second one right. There are different types of AWD: Correct. None of them are the same unless you're talking about the same model line from a particular company.

Whether or not it's 50/50 and sending torque to different wheels depends on the system. The one you're probably thinking of is the one in Subaru manual-transmission cars, which is 50/50 all the time but can send power left or right depending on the road surface (which is accomplished mechanically by use of limited-slip differentials). The STi 6-speed transmission with DCCD is the same, but allows changing of the torque ratio in the center differential to move power front or rear depending on the driver.

Then there's VTD-4WD in the automatic transmissions (1992-present in Japan, 2001-present in America), which is a 35/65 power split normally, but uses a limited-slip differential to send power forward depending on road situation, and uses a rear limited-slip differential to transfer power left or right depending on rear-wheel traction.

Plenty of systems, all of them work very differently... X-Drive, ATTESA, Full-Time AWD, VTD-4WD... list goes on and on and on and...
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
atlantian
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 04:52 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 27,131

i think that the Subaru awd design FTW, symmetrical AWD is the way to go...
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 05:43 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

Out of curiosity, what AWD cars have you driven?
atlantian
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 05:45 PM

IDW God Member

my friend's S4, my mom's S60, and... that's it, but i do sim racing, and i think that i like the balanced, stable feel of the cars...

and i get suckered by subaru's advertising department...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKMBXFPeaz8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH5IIcbUDhM
the second one is my favorite car ad of all times

This post has been edited by atlantian on Mar 20 2008, 05:48 PM
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 06:03 PM

IDW Goldmember

So having driven an old S4 and an S60, what makes you jump to the conclusion that Subaru's AWD system is "the way to go" when you haven't driven it? Juuuuust curious.
atlantian
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 08:03 PM

IDW God Member

as i said i am a sucker for their ad campaign... smile.gif

the impreza seems much better then the evo(no offense, it's a really fast car)
according to people i have asked, and symmetrical AWD is appealing because i hate torque steer... and another plus is... the short block flat 4... i love boxers... and i also love porsches(i HAVE driven a 911)... better then the gtr...(too many fan boys in this camp?)

This post has been edited by atlantian on Mar 20 2008, 08:05 PM
MattW
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 08:13 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

Symmetrical AWD just leads to understeer.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 08:15 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (atlantian @ Today at 9:03 PM)
the impreza seems much better then the evo(no offense, it's a really fast car)
according to people i have asked, and symmetrical AWD is appealing because i hate torque steer... and another plus is... the short block flat 4... i love boxers... and i also love porsches(i HAVE driven a 911)... better then the gtr...(too many fan boys in this camp?)

You just revealed that you really have no clue about what you're talking about. All theory, no practice.
atlantian
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 08:18 PM

IDW God Member

i heard that subies don't like to turn much(top gear reviews), but, i don't really get how symmetrical AWD would be more so then any other AWD system...

i can always do what the rallists do... feint then neutral steer laugh.gif
jk, idk, i can always get into the habit of trail braking...
You just revealed that you really have no clue about what you're talking about. All theory, no practice.

yes, i have driven some(very little) cars, and i am relying on books and demo videos, and sim racing...

This post has been edited by atlantian on Mar 20 2008, 08:19 PM
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 08:36 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 3,276

QUOTE (MattSAF1 @ Today at 11:13 PM)
Symmetrical AWD just leads to understeer.

Is this your own opinion?

Or did you quote someone who actually knows what they are talking about?
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 08:36 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (atlantian @ Today at 9:18 PM)
i heard that subies don't like to turn much(top gear reviews), but, i don't really get how symmetrical AWD would be more so then any other AWD system...

i can always do what the rallists do... feint then neutral steer laugh.gif
jk, idk, i can always get into the habit of trail braking...

yes, i have driven some(very little) cars, and i am relying on books and demo videos, and sim racing...

Hmm... I'll say this with restraint since I'm not trying to shoot you down.

What you're doing is watching YouTube videos and reading reviews (not a bad thing), taking them for the absolute truth (somewhat of a bad thing) then regurgitating it as an opinion when in fact it's just paraphrasing of someone else's opinion rather than expressing your own based on practice rather than theory (bad thing).

You can watch all of the Top Gear videos to ever talk about Subarus and read every publication talking about their asymmetric AWD system, but none of that will ever compare to wringing an STI out on an open road... a curvy one. You can listen to each and every song recorded by your favorite music artist, but none of that will compare to actually seeing them live in concert. You can watch every adult flick ever made and memorize every nasty act and position, but it won't compare to actually getting down with a lady. Get what I'm saying?

Obviously you don't absolutely have to drive a car to form your own opinion on it, but an opinion based on experience AND knowledge gives you some credibility. But if you have an opinion solely based on someone else's and try to act like you know what you're talking about, then you are going to get shot down, which is what is happening all over your thread.
atlantian
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 08:42 PM

IDW God Member

ah... okey, then i can only say... "i heard that imprezas are understeery"

but i did actually drive some awd, fr, ff(daily), and rr (drove mr once, but that was just a short sprint around the island...)

5 Pages  « 2 3 4 5