Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing (Battle Stage 2) Phil - Crazy & Ready

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 624  ·  Replies: 6 
> To spend, or..., to build a new computer and THEN spend?
Di3S3L
    Posted: Jan 11 2007, 02:46 PM

IDW God Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,144

Am I wasting my money if I buy 2 more gigs of RAM instead of waiting until I build an LGA775 Pcore2 Duo Conroe?
I was planning to have about 4GB RAM in my system from the start, but since Socket 478 isn't all that I thought it was, I was thinking it could be a waste of money to upgrade a system that won't run much faster than it's running now.

Also I'd like some thoughts on comparing an LGA775 Pcore2 Dual core conroe 2.6Ghz with 4GB of memory as opposed to a Socket 478 P4 3.2Ghz with 4 GB memory.

Reason being is that I was saving up money to build a PC to be able to eat up applications like they were chalupas and can still beg for 5 more. When I chose my motherboard, I didn't know whether I should take advantage of PCIe or stick with AGP, but since socket 478's were cheaper at the time, i chose that platform instead, and it didn't have PCIe. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice machine, I just feel like I can do better both with it's GPU and CPU. And since I'm saving up for another build, I was wondering if I should just save up and spend a few hundred on RAM[among other things, like better cooling and such], or go all out and spend a few thousand on another monster build.

Also how are temperature comparisons between a Dualcore Conroe and a P4 Prescott on idles and peaks? I'm kinda getting a tingle in my spine telling me that my P4 might need better cooling during the summertime. My current system's first post was around October[I think...I have bad memory] '06 and it peaked at around 52ºC with a non-jumper OC of 3.6Ghz. It peaks at 45ºC average on Default clock speed which is at 3.2Ghz, that's hot. If anyone has better suggestions on better cooling solutions, let me know. Also if Conroe cores run cooler or not.
Möbius
Posted: Jan 11 2007, 05:26 PM

IDW Top Poster

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (Di3S3L @ Today at 5:46 PM)
Am I wasting my money if I buy 2 more gigs of RAM instead of waiting until I build an LGA775 Pcore2 Duo Conroe?
I was planning to have about 4GB RAM in my system from the start, but since Socket 478 isn't all that I thought it was, I was thinking it could be a waste of money to upgrade a system that won't run much faster than it's running now.

Also I'd like some thoughts on comparing an LGA775 Pcore2 Dual core conroe 2.6Ghz with 4GB of memory as opposed to a Socket 478 P4 3.2Ghz with 4 GB memory.

Reason being is that I was saving up money to build a PC to be able to eat up applications like they were chalupas and can still beg for 5 more. When I chose my motherboard, I didn't know whether I should take advantage of PCIe or stick with AGP, but since socket 478's were cheaper at the time, i chose that platform instead, and it didn't have PCIe. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice machine, I just feel like I can do better both with it's GPU and CPU. And since I'm saving up for another build, I was wondering if I should just save up and spend a few hundred on RAM[among other things, like better cooling and such], or go all out and spend a few thousand on another monster build.

Also how are temperature comparisons between a Dualcore Conroe and a P4 Prescott on idles and peaks? I'm kinda getting a tingle in my spine telling me that my P4 might need better cooling during the summertime. My current system's first post was around October[I think...I have bad memory] '06 and it peaked at around 52ºC with a non-jumper OC of 3.6Ghz. It peaks at 45ºC average on Default clock speed which is at 3.2Ghz, that's hot. If anyone has better suggestions on better cooling solutions, let me know. Also if Conroe cores run cooler or not.

Lot of questions there, let me try on a few, let me know if I missed any. wink2.gif

I would say it depends on if you want to build a new system or not. The RAM you get for the 478 system will not work on the 775 system. I myself would wait. wink2.gif

And since I'm saving up for another build, I was wondering if I should just save up and spend a few hundred on RAM[among other things, like better cooling and such], or go all out and spend a few thousand on another monster build.

I would save for the build.

Also how are temperature comparisons between a Dualcore Conroe and a P4 Prescott on idles and peaks?

C2D runs much, much cooler. It's not even a comparison. I'll post some temps in a little while. wink2.gif

My current system's first post was around October[I think...I have bad memory] '06 and it peaked at around 52ºC with a non-jumper OC of 3.6Ghz. It peaks at 45ºC average on Default clock speed which is at 3.2Ghz, that's hot.

Are those load temps?

If anyone has better suggestions on better cooling solutions, let me know.

Most HSF's by Thermalright. wink2.gif

Also if Conroe cores run cooler or not.

They run much cooler than Pressies. wink2.gif

Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Di3S3L
  Posted: Jan 11 2007, 08:03 PM

IDW God Member

Yes those temps are under load.
Oh and thanks for the advice.

This post has been edited by Di3S3L on Jan 11 2007, 08:03 PM
Möbius
Posted: Jan 11 2007, 08:16 PM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Di3S3L @ Today at 11:03 PM)
Yes those temps are under load.
Oh and thanks for the advice.

You're welcome. wink2.gif

I was thinking 775 Pressie for some reason, and those seemed low.

In any case, Conroe will run cooler. wink2.gif

This post has been edited by Apex Carver on Jan 11 2007, 08:17 PM
Di3S3L
  Posted: Jan 11 2007, 11:49 PM

IDW God Member

Oh, and about:
QUOTE (Apex Carver @ Today at 5:26 PM)
...The RAM you get for the 478 system will not work on the 775 system.

Umm...yeah...I kinda knew that... laugh.gif

What I was asking is whether I should buy two more 1GB DDR400 sticks of memory for my current system as an addition for a total of 4GB RAM for my current system, or just buid a new system which would be much more suitable for video editing and gaming.

Just thought you'd understand what I was trying to say there.
kamotekid
Posted: Jan 12 2007, 04:28 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 11,290

i'd save up for a c2d and 4gb of ram. i'm also into video editing and i believe i've outgrown my current pc.
Möbius
Posted: Jan 12 2007, 04:12 PM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Di3S3L @ Today at 2:49 AM)
Oh, and about:

Umm...yeah...I kinda knew that... laugh.gif

What I was asking is whether I should buy two more 1GB DDR400 sticks of memory for my current system as an addition for a total of 4GB RAM for my current system, or just buid a new system which would be much more suitable for video editing and gaming.

Just thought you'd understand what I was trying to say there.

Just wanted to give it more emphasis, since it could not be used in the new build. wink2.gif