Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing (Wangan Midnight OST) Voice of S30Z

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

8 Pages  « 5 6 7 8  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 80,502  ·  Replies: 190 
> Beginners guide for getting into motorsports, Feel free to sticky this
Spaz
Posted: May 26 2010, 07:00 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Well, time to bump this again.

user posted image

How's the season going for people?

Myself, I've only been to the one event, shit went down at work, we lost a couple people, and so I've been having a hard time getting weekends off. But that's given me time to work on the car a bit, I'm getting close to a well prepared BSP car.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
MattW
Posted: May 26 2010, 07:46 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 23,273

Lots of damage. Lots and lots of damage.
Möbius
Posted: May 26 2010, 09:53 PM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

No damage on this end.
MattW
Posted: May 26 2010, 10:18 PM

VOLVO For Life.

It's funny, none of it has actually been our fault. Just wrong place at the wrong time. That's racin' though.
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Jul 15 2010, 05:27 PM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,944

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWmkQvh4s7I&hd=1 )

Because it's been a while. Good instructional on sweeper exits to slaloms.
Kiroshino
Posted: Aug 3 2010, 12:17 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Member No.: 34,203

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8 )

Haven't been to an event yet, but I suppose you don't want to act like that. ^^
MetalMan777
Posted: Aug 3 2010, 12:33 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

These things are painfully slow to watch. I'd rather read the same text.
Spaz
Posted: Aug 3 2010, 09:45 PM

Group Icon

Don't act like me and the rest of the EvoMN guys acted at Brainerd IR last month. That's the first step.

I can count 3 fights we were almost in, countless people crossed the road to not walk right by our campsite, we ran the quarter mile at 2am on foot and woke up a ton of people, screamed way too much (STOCK TURBO, SON!) and other similar things. But the majority of the people there were off of the asshole of the local automotive community, so the opinions of anyone who saw us act like that are null and void anyway.
Möbius
Posted: Aug 5 2010, 10:52 AM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (cmspaz @ Yesterday, 12:45 AM)
Don't act like me and the rest of the EvoMN guys acted at Brainerd IR last month. That's the first step.

I can count 3 fights we were almost in, countless people crossed the road to not walk right by our campsite, we ran the quarter mile at 2am on foot and woke up a ton of people, screamed way too much (STOCK TURBO, SON!) and other similar things. But the majority of the people there were off of the asshole of the local automotive community, so the opinions of anyone who saw us act like that are null and void anyway.

So is there an instructional video coming out soon? tongue.gif
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Jan 25 2011, 09:52 AM

IDW Banned Member

If you're planning on getting into motorsports this year, NOW is the time you should be acting. Planning out your schedule, figuring out finances, putting in your order for tires and of course, winter testing!

Winter test from a NASA autocross this past weekend (time sheet: http://www.get-fast.net/nasacross/012311res_raw.htm ), class win, 6th overall.

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slcLJP-e3pM&hd=1 )

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 683. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 683. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

First image I've had of wheel lift
user posted image

Last season is done, don't let another one pass w/out getting out there and getting some experience.
MattW
Posted: Jan 25 2011, 10:40 AM

VOLVO For Life.

Winter testing...that'd be nice if the track wasn't under two feet of snow.
MetalMan777
Posted: Jan 25 2011, 01:55 PM

Snooping as usual

Yeah, this doesn't apply to a lot of us. I'd winter test, but it's too damn cold to fix my cars, let alone test them. Speaking of tires, what's good this season? I'm going to invest in RA-1's and be done with it unless anybody can come up with something better. Not sure what I'm going to put on the rallyx saab yet, it still needs a new bearing. Warm the hell up already.
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Jan 25 2011, 02:03 PM

IDW Banned Member

QUOTE (Cactus @ 7 minutes, 44 seconds ago)
Yeah, this doesn't apply to a lot of us. I'd winter test, but it's too damn cold to fix my cars, let alone test them. Speaking of tires, what's good this season? I'm going to invest in RA-1's and be done with it unless anybody can come up with something better. Not sure what I'm going to put on the rallyx saab yet, it still needs a new bearing. Warm the hell up already.

I traveled 3 hours to test, well outside my region, with no heater. You do what you have to do to get things done.

Tires are going to depend on what you're doing. RA1's are just fine if you're testing, or schooling or taking practice runs. For anything else, an R6 is going to be optimal for long stints, A6/V710 for short stints. If you can run bias ply, it opens up the door to a lot more options.
MetalMan777
Posted: Jan 25 2011, 02:56 PM

Snooping as usual

My 635 doesn't fit into any class I'd have any hope of winning. It's going to be my trackday car, and if I run it in autos, it'll just be for the fun of it. I guess Toyo's will fit the bill well enough. The Saab on the other hand is eligible for g stock. That car could be very competitive, assuming I get the chance to rebuild the engine or stick a new one in. I'm tired of it being too cold to fix it.
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Jan 25 2011, 03:03 PM

IDW Banned Member

QUOTE (Cactus @ 7 minutes, 5 seconds ago)
My 635 doesn't fit into any class I'd have any hope of winning. It's going to be my trackday car, and if I run it in autos, it'll just be for the fun of it. I guess Toyo's will fit the bill well enough. The Saab on the other hand is eligible for g stock. That car could be very competitive, assuming I get the chance to rebuild the engine or stick a new one in. I'm tired of it being too cold to fix it.

If you're talking about g-stock autocross, then no, it wouldn't be competitive in the least. It'd get crushed by SRT-4's, Mazdaspeed Protege's, Spec V's, etc.

If you dont have a class, run whatever crap you have and whatever is accessible. Surf sccaforums for used tires, buy them, run till cord. No sense worrying about what's best, as your car is just out there going through the motions so you can garner seat time.
MetalMan777
Posted: Jan 25 2011, 04:03 PM

Snooping as usual

Sorry, I meant h stock. Don't know if I want to keep it stock or not for rallyx anyway. If I can do some internal engine modification and manage to fit it in prepared, I'll do that. I think that's where they draw the line for the prepared class, though. I need to go through the rules with a fine comb, otherwise it's staying stock. Without a turbo, the only easy way to up power is to upgrade the cam/valvesprings. Thankfully cheap on a 4 cylinder.

H stock is full of a bunch of NOC cars anyway, that's how the Saab fits in.
JKaiba
Posted: Jan 25 2011, 04:06 PM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

Floh- out of curiosity; with the cut fenders to allow wider track and lower center of gravity; what are the rules on that on your class?
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Jan 25 2011, 05:01 PM

IDW Banned Member

QUOTE (Cactus @ 57 minutes, 56 seconds ago)
Sorry, I meant h stock. Don't know if I want to keep it stock or not for rallyx anyway. If I can do some internal engine modification and manage to fit it in prepared, I'll do that. I think that's where they draw the line for the prepared class, though. I need to go through the rules with a fine comb, otherwise it's staying stock. Without a turbo, the only easy way to up power is to upgrade the cam/valvesprings. Thankfully cheap on a 4 cylinder.

H stock is full of a bunch of NOC cars anyway, that's how the Saab fits in.

H-Stock it'd be a suck car too. I've never seen a Saab run with any efficiency because I've never seen a Saab run. Nobody uses them as they're not worth the time.

Floh- out of curiosity; with the cut fenders to allow wider track and lower center of gravity; what are the rules on that on your class?

My car is a Street Prepared build car, cutting fenders is legal and usually encouraged amongst folks who own older cars, as you cant fit a decent wheel/tire size in them. Any wheel size/width/offest is allowed in my class. This year I'll be running 15X10's with 275's on.
Kiroshino
Posted: Jan 26 2011, 06:10 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Member No.: 34,203

Dumb question, but aren't you assigned a particular stock class depending on the vehicle you drive?

http://cms.scca.com/documents/2011%20Tech/...%20listings.pdf

Not that it matters a lot for the Novice Class. Just curious.

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on Jan 26 2011, 06:11 PM
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Jan 26 2011, 06:17 PM

IDW Banned Member

If the only thing you've done is tires/shocks/battery/brake pads/catback/front sway bar, then stock classes will apply to you. If you've gone beyond that, you need to dig through street touring/street prepared/prepared/modified.
MattW
Posted: Jan 26 2011, 06:41 PM

VOLVO For Life.

QUOTE (flohtingPoint @ Yesterday, 5:03 PM)
I traveled 3 hours to test, well outside my region, with no heater. You do what you have to do to get things done.

Tires are going to depend on what you're doing. RA1's are just fine if you're testing, or schooling or taking practice runs. For anything else, an R6 is going to be optimal for long stints, A6/V710 for short stints. If you can run bias ply, it opens up the door to a lot more options.

To test it would require us going south of the Mason Dixon Line, haha.
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Jul 4 2011, 07:08 PM

IDW Banned Member

The season is already half over, only a couple months left of track time out there. If you're not running, get off your couches, shut off your stupid cartoons, put down the D-Sport and find at least a local event you can go to.

Video from the SCCA Toledo National Tour
YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGKn7cEsVMs&hd=1 )
Spaz
Posted: Jul 4 2011, 07:21 PM

Group Icon

Yeah, no kidding, I'm scrapping for change and I still got out last weekend to rape some face in the Evo. If I can make it happen where I am right now financially, so can you.
Type 100
Posted: Jul 4 2011, 10:09 PM

IDW Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,520

Might as well throw my hat into the thread...

This was from last month.
Circuit Showdown 2011 Round 4 @ Batangas Racing Circuit. Haven't been to BRC in 15 months prior.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Qualifying times in the morning. My car's #100.
user posted image

Final times in the afternoon.
2:21.077 via transponder is just two-tenths off my personal best of 2:20.8 via stopwatch set in February 2010. Not bad
user posted image

I'm never gonna break any bracket records with the Fit 1.3; BRC has too many long straights. I'm just in it for fun and to maximize my lap time on a stock car with 82 HP.

Missed out on Round 5 @ Clark International Speedway. Kind of a shame since CIS' short-track version has less straightaway and more turns. Round 6 goes back to BRC though. Good chance I might show up then.

This post has been edited by Type 100 on Jul 4 2011, 10:12 PM
DigiBunny
Posted: Jul 4 2011, 11:08 PM

Reading is magic!

Member No.: 30,700

I'm a tad curious. How does the fit handle around the track?

8 Pages  « 5 6 7 8