Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing Dave Rodgers - The Race is Over

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,013  ·  Replies: 5 
> RIP Mr. K, The man who bought us the 510 and the Z
Shirogane
  Posted: Feb 21 2015, 03:43 PM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 17,722

Love cars, love people and love life! link

Yutaka Katayama, a former president of Nissan Motor Co.'s U.S. unit who built the Z sports car into a powerful global brand in the 1970s, has died, his son said Saturday. He was 105.

Known as the "father of the Z," Katayama won international respect for the Datsun Z as an affordable sports car at a time when Japan-made products were synonymous with slipshod quality.
Katayama, who retired from Nissan in 1977, died Thursday of heart failure at a Tokyo hospital, his son Mitsuo said.

Carlos Ghosn, who has led a turnaround at the Japanese automaker under an alliance with Renault SA of France, resurrected Katayama's legendary status at Nissan by bringing back the Z, which had been discontinued in 1996.

Inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame in both the U.S. and Japan, Katayama is revered by Z fan clubs around the world, which nicknamed him "Mr. K."

"A car is a horse. I want to drive a thoroughbred that's in tune with my heartbeat, but not something that's too dressed up for someone like me," Katayama told The Associated Press in a 2002 interview about the Z's comeback.
Seri
Posted: Feb 21 2015, 04:11 PM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

And another one has passed... So many amazing people...
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
the_stig
Posted: Feb 21 2015, 10:19 PM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,080

it really is a sudden feeling of weight knowing that he was mind of what pretty much was the definitive Japanese sports car (not the miata, mainly because it's more British than Japanese), the 350Z was the first car that when i saw it as a kid playing need for speed, i said to myself that one day i would own one (which is probably showing my age) . I've liked cars before that but that was when i started to really know what cars i liked.

with that said (and getting to the point), he really had that much of an effect on me and i never knew he existed until i heard of his passing earlier today which for me was very eye opening.
Hannah
Posted: Feb 22 2015, 06:24 AM

Remember Me
Group Icon

Group: PONY FANATIC
Member No.: 8,296

I send a prayer out for him, that yes, as his son mentioned, Mr. K is happily tearing around in Heaven in a Z of his own.

May you be at peace, Mr. K. You will always be remembered.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
RalliKai
Posted: Feb 22 2015, 07:13 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,607

RIP Mr. K.

user posted image
kyonpalm
Posted: Feb 22 2015, 10:57 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

105 is a staggering lifespan. The S30 was first produced 46 years ago, which is older than many of the car's fans today... and he was almost 60 years old at that time. Imagine that. People are driving cars older than themselves that were made when the creator was nearly 60.

Numbers aside, his contributions are too immense for words. Nothing really to be said here, only felt. RIP.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project