Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 10 unique listeners, playing Nathalie - Heartbeat (DJ Shu Remix)

Views: 4,753  ·  Replies: 8 
> Server Downtime, caused by Hurricane Charley
Perry
    Posted: Aug 15 2004, 09:47 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

The datacenter facility in Orlando FL which hosts our forums was hit by a Category 5 hurricane at 9:00 PM EST Aug 14th, 2004. The server was down for approximately two hours due to a power outage. The staff at the datacenter moved our server around to somewhere so that it could receive power. However, the downtime will happen again around 4:00 AM EST - 7:00 AM EST tonight, because the staff are moving the server back to where it was.

This is the official announcement from our host about the downtime:

QUOTE (Kayla @ Aug 14th 2004, 07:24 PM)

Dear Everyone,

As most of you know Orlando was hit by a Category 5 hurricane at approximately 9:00 PM EST On Aug 14, 2004.

Orlando was in a state of emergency and still is due to the damage done around the area.

For those of you who are curious of what happened, here are some pictures which were taken by us in the area not too long ago:

http://www.surmunity.com/hurricane04/

Our facility did not receive any damage. Our facility is able to withstand forces of nature like this. We are well prepared in case this happens again in the future. Rest assured your server is in good hands and with good people. We were here the entire time on standby.

We managed to only lose connection to about 20 of our servers during the sudden loss in power while our backup generators and batteries delayed in start up. This is the first time we have used these systems and we are well prepared if this happens again, and we hope that it doesn't. Orlando hasn't been hit by a storm like this for 10 years we have heard.

We managed to get the servers which didn't come up during that switch over, within 1-2 hours. We moved them to certain locations of the data center so that they could receive power.

Tonight between 4am EST and 7am EST we will move servers back to their fixed rack locations.

Your server may be down between those hours tonight while we re-organize everything back to how it was previously.

We apologize for the short notice and also for the downtime which may occur. We are trying to get everything back to normal, and we are doing this in off time hours during the weekend to minimize impact. We do realize there is not really a day or night on the Internet, but we have to choose at least one time.

We appreciate your patience and support during a crisis like this.

We have come through with much success and will continue to provide the highest level of service you all deserve.

Thank you!

Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience which you may experience during the downtime. For more information about the Hurricane Charley, please visit - http://www.ktvu.com/weather/3633936/detail.html
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Alex
Posted: Aug 15 2004, 11:40 AM

OG Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 111

Yeah, I realized the forums weren't working.

So the server is in the south. *did not know* I only got a little rain in the morning the other day. I'm in North Georgia btw.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
[ Mizerok ]
Posted: Aug 15 2004, 11:51 AM

I Fabrikat w3rDs!!!

Member No.: 1,237

Well that makes sense. If I knew that the damn server was down there, I would have deducted that... well... here's for knowing.
S15-guy
Posted: Aug 16 2004, 01:51 AM

dampachi!

Member No.: 177

hmmm, didnt this happen last year too?

Benji
Posted: Aug 16 2004, 02:01 AM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 891

Ooohhhh ok, lol, we were both wondering why it was, but it's good they got it running so quickly. (2 hours is quick when a hurricane goes through, lol.)
Perry
  Posted: Aug 18 2004, 08:52 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Board has been down since 10:05 AM PST 'til 9:35 PM PST. Approximated downtime was longer than 11 hours. Sorry for the unexpected long downtime. I've already E-mailed the guys at SurpassHosting regarding this. Again, I am sorry for the downtime. Thanks for your understanding.
Perry
  Posted: Aug 18 2004, 09:07 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

I got a response from SurpassHosting. Apparently, we had too much MySQL activities going on and they had to shut down the site for awhile. What that means in English is some people have been posting a little too much with mindless posts, also known as, spamming. By all means, please try to think before posting. One emoticon, one word posts really kills the server as they put burden on the forums' database. Please be considerate enough and follow our Forum Guidelines. For the last time, please use the EDIT button. Thank you very much.
Kev
Posted: Aug 18 2004, 09:12 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 571

I've noticed a lot of double posting, one word posts, lot of spamming in general. Maybe if we didn't spam so much, this kind of stuff wouldn't happen.
Benji
Posted: Aug 18 2004, 09:30 PM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 891

Maybe if People weren't repeating what Perry said this wouldn't happen... dry.gif

Thanks for the info Pez.