Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing Dave Rodgers - Boom Boom Japan

Important Reminder
• Maximum size limit for signature is 150KB. (153,600 bytes)
• All images must fit within the 600 (width) x 200 (height) dimension limit for your signature.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 3,682  ·  Replies: 14 
> Thinking of a new camera, Camera gurus help plz!!
Demon_Lord
  Posted: Feb 15 2009, 07:31 PM

炎髪灼眼の討ち手

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 23,377

The artworks and graphics parts of the forums seemed to be a good place for this, I'm not 100% sure so I'll give it a shot.

That being sad...I was look at these two cameras.
1.Sony Alpha 10.2
2Cannon Rebel 12.2

I've been told by others that these are good for entry level photographers, but they never gave me any specifics as to why. I've read the descriptions of both cameras and that has helped my knowledge of the SLR brand of cameras not so much.... I know most of you don't me that well, or at all but I'm asking for your help with this decision.

Anything below $700 is best. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Demon_Lord on Feb 15 2009, 07:35 PM
Perry
Posted: Feb 15 2009, 07:48 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

For a $700 budget, I'd recommend the 30D. It currently goes for $637 brand new.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-8-2MP-Digital-...34755942&sr=1-1

Throw in a 50 1.8 and you are good to go.

If you don't mind refurbished camera, go with the 30D refurbished, currently goes for $498 only. Then you have $200 to buy lens.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...ion=refurbished
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
BOZZ Savage
Posted: Feb 15 2009, 08:00 PM

ペンタックス

Member No.: 15,047

I wholeheartedly agree with Perry. happy.gif

Ian
am3pkcet
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 12:25 PM

IDASv3 > IDAS4

Member No.: 2,853

i would personally get a Rebel XSi over an outdated 30D any day. the features and upgrades to both image sensor and processing unit are a strong selling point for me. that's not to say the 30D is by any means bad, but it was released 3 years ago and has two succeeding models since. it doesnt pack the punch that it did in early 2006, nor does it offer the same functionality and versatility of recent models. plus, i personally tend to stray toward the newest releases to capitalize on the best aspects of the new technology.

edit: maybe i think this because i have an XTi and the XSi is a gigantic step up for me. however, all choices fall far short of the 50D, which is what i'm looking at as my next purchase.

This post has been edited by am3pkcet on Feb 17 2009, 12:28 PM
TTH
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 01:42 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,213

My list:
1. If you want camera what turns into fire your inside creativity, buy Sigma biggrin.gif (they are cheap novadays..)

2. If you want very good optics (and also lighten your vallet), then your choise is Nikon and Nikkor lenses

3. If you want to grow a cock in the middle of your forehead, buy a Canon. :DDD (well everyone don't have this problem)

4. Sony for Playstation-fans, in-body stabilizer is a big plus

5. Pentax for old-schoolers and Pentaxes also have in-body stabilizer, so you don't have to buy lenses stabilizer.

6. If you like to take pictures like you take them with point and shoot, Olympus is the way to go. Zuiko lenses are also very good vallet slimmers, but fortenately some of Olympus cameras have in-body stabilizer, like E-520.

Here is my recommendations for first DSLR:
1.Pextax K200D and there is also handy kits where you can choose your accessories

2.Sony A200 but you have to buy a spare battery with it.

3. Rebel XSi but it's little over of your budget

4.Olympus E-520 doesn't include camera bag but that kit includes telephoto lens.

Jokers:
Sigma SD14 with 18-200 OS with lots of accessories
or:
Sigma DP1 which is easy as carry as a point-and-shoot and has a DSLR like image quality. DP1's lens isn't a zoom, but it's one of hell sharp normal lens. Some say that it's the sharpest lens what Sigma has ever done

Why those Sigma's are so specific to me? Becouse I use one and I have to say that you cannot find anywhere as good as Sigmas IQ in good lighting. Take a look into my photostream:Flickr
If you got any interesting to Sigma, take a look at DPReview's Sigma Forum

This post has been edited by TTH on Feb 17 2009, 01:45 PM
Perry
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 06:31 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

QUOTE (am3pkcet @ Today, 12:25 PM)
i would personally get a Rebel XSi over an outdated 30D any day.  the features and upgrades to both image sensor and processing unit are a strong selling point for me.  that's not to say the 30D is by any means bad, but it was released 3 years ago and has two succeeding models since.  it doesnt pack the punch that it did in early 2006, nor does it offer the same functionality and versatility of recent models.  plus, i personally tend to stray toward the newest releases to capitalize on the best aspects of the new technology.

True. I suggested 30D mainly because of the following:

QUOTE ( http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showth...t=462922&page=2)
Larger/Brighter Pentaprism VF
5 FPS
1/3 ISO steps
ISO Boost to 3200
More WB Control
Magnesium Alloy Body
Multi-Controller + Spin Wheel
Shutter up to 1/8000
Rated 100k Shutter Cycles
Top Status LCD

For the XSi, the following features are more advanced:

dIGIC III
Bigger LCD with Live Veiw
Self Cleaning Sensor
ISO in veiwfinder
12.2 MP
Highlight tone Priority
And Auto Lighting Optimizer

Like am3pkcet said, if you like fancy features, XSi is the way to go. If you don't care about shooting sports or fancy technology, 30D is the way to go.
am3pkcet
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 06:50 PM

IDASv3 > IDAS4

QUOTE (Perry @ 18 minutes ago)
spin wheel

that was one of the things i was confused about. i never really got how that was somehow better than a D-pad-like selector like found on the XTi/XSi. i haven't been able to field test a 50D beyond playing around a bit in a Ritz Camera, but what are your thoughts on the wheel, since you list it as an advantage?
Perry
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 07:08 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

The spin wheel is quite nice really. I've never used the D-pad, so I am not sure what to compare to for reference. I guess it has to do with ergonomics, like how the hands are positioned when holding the camera, and somehow the wheel would make it easier to handle the camera.

Another thing to mention is, xxD bodies are quite different than xxxD bodies in terms of the physical size. You will find the difference quite dramatic when you attach some telephoto lens on it. xxD bodies balance better with lens like 70-200mm 2.8 / 4.
am3pkcet
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 07:28 PM

IDASv3 > IDAS4

i could see that. i'm just so used to the d-pad. i saw that the xxD models have a little kind of joystick nub thing that i remember feeling really odd and awkward, but the setup works just fine for the rebels. but yeah, in terms of balancing, i could see that too. the zoom lens i have (70-300IS) is top heavy and places a lot of strain on the middle finger of the right hand (where the rest is).

anyway, i suggest getting one of these:

user posted image
BananaSplit
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 08:10 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 5,788

QUOTE (am3pkcet @ 39 minutes ago)
user posted image

Say cheese...

on that pizza?
Demon_Lord
  Posted: Feb 17 2009, 08:36 PM

炎髪灼眼の討ち手

Holy hell what a camera ^ laugh.gif
Is that a call button I see? Where's the number pad? tongue.gif

Thank you for your opinions guys, I really appreciate it. I have a lot to think about over the next few weeks or so. I'll read a little more on the cameras that were suggested and make my final decision hopefully next week sometime.

My place of business is talking lay offs and that wouldn't go over well with a new camera purchase....

This post has been edited by Demon_Lord on Feb 17 2009, 08:38 PM
Perry
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 08:37 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

QUOTE (am3pkcet @ 1 hour ago)
anyway, i suggest getting one of these:

user posted image

Do you really want to buy one ?

Head to here: http://www.slrgenius.com/products.asp?dept...roduct_id=11224

5D Mark II for less than $1600.. HAHAHHAHA.. laugh.gif
They actually used that photoshopped picture as their product image. Stupid scam artists.
shinn
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 08:51 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,591

I would stick to name brands. If your new to photography I would suggest getting the latest model(xsi, or possibly the xti). But then again, I'm a Nikon-guy so its all up to preference.

Or you could get a body and a specific lense. Thats what I did.
r3d$unz
Posted: Feb 21 2009, 09:03 PM

GRRRR...YO! Apachai daio~!!

Member No.: 1,533

If you can afford it, why not go for a Canon EOS 400D? I've been using this on several photoshoots within indoor studios and it hasn't let me down so far happy.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Demon_Lord
  Posted: Feb 24 2009, 07:38 PM

炎髪灼眼の討ち手

I have good and bad news...good news I get to keep my job, bad news my hours took a serious hit; I went from 25 (while in school) a week to 5-10 a week. I was told that about the end of June middle of July we "should" get hours back. So until then my dreams of a nice camera have been smashed... crying2.gif Hopefully come August or September I will be able to purchase a nice camera.

Thank you for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it!

Temporary close... for now. fear2.gif