Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Past Days

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 3,807  ·  Replies: 25 
> Real-Time Facial Recognition Software, ALL OF MY MONEY
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 12 2012, 10:02 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvievLytmrs )

This software translates your facial expressions and certain movements into MikuMikuDance, a popular 3D model program, where it is then displayed through the model selected! I can only imagine how people will be exploiting this in the future... I have some ideas myself... awesome.gif
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Perry
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 10:34 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

This eerily remind me of the movie Surrogate where people no longer interact in contact but uses a "surrogate" to do all the interaction. I can see that becoming reality if our environment becomes less and less desirable for human to live in. Anyways, this is very cool technology. I can't wait to see what people can do with it.
Tessou
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 11:38 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

Just faces? Wait until it can do full body scanning, and then I will be suitably impressed.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Kiroshino
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 01:09 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 34,203

Real-time full body scanning is inherently impossible from a single viewpoint. It can definitely be simulated, though, especially with technology like Leap Motion.
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 12 2012, 01:14 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kiroshino @ 3 minutes, 53 seconds ago)
Real-time full body scanning is inherently impossible from a single viewpoint.  It can definitely be simulated, though, especially with technology like Leap Motion.

Why is it impossible? I could imagine a program that recognizes your hands, feet and body shape to point-map a stick figure of you that is then used much in the same way as this facial-recognition one, maybe with more complexity for expression of movement.
Kiroshino
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 01:40 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

I consider movement and scanning two separate topics.

Movement is easy enough to detect, especially if you already have an idea of what the skeleton should look like. The Kinect does an okay job of this, albeit rough.

When scanning any 3D object from a single view point, at any given time, you don't see the back of the object.
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 12 2012, 01:51 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kiroshino @ 11 minutes, 15 seconds ago)
I consider movement and scanning two separate topics.

Movement is easy enough to detect, especially if you already have an idea of what the skeleton should look like. The Kinect does an okay job of this, albeit rough.

When scanning any 3D object from a single view point, at any given time, you don't see the back of the object.

I see what you're talking about, but why does it have to be 3D? Can't the program use a 2D map of your bodily coordinates to place the 3D model's movements? It's just a matter of calculating distance between multiple points on a 2D map to determine what is going on, then translating it to 3D model movement. I'm pretty sure it could be done, though any attempt right now would probably be primitive.
Tessou
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 02:25 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Kiroshino @ 1 hour, 15 minutes ago)
Real-time full body scanning is inherently impossible from a single viewpoint. It can definitely be simulated, though, especially with technology like Leap Motion.

Microsoft's Kinect sensor does this with a single RGB camera and two depth sensors. Considering they've made it easy to work with when plugged into a PC, it could be used for full body scanning for this program instead of a shitty little webcam.
Kiroshino
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 02:35 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 43 minutes, 54 seconds ago)
It's just a matter of calculating distance between multiple points on a 2D map to determine what is going on, then translating it to 3D model movement.

Hence, "Real-time full body scanning... It can definitely be simulated".

Tessou: I'm actually working with the Kinect For Windows atm. Not too impressed with the sensitivity so far. Leap Motion promises to be better.
Tessou
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 02:39 PM

Group Icon

Using a better camera would have made the price jump higher than the console it was meant for. I would assume there are better mainstream examples of the technology out there.
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 12 2012, 02:42 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

In other news, I like this guy.

user posted image
Kiroshino
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 02:49 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

QUOTE (Tessou @ 10 minutes, 4 seconds ago)
I would assume there are better mainstream examples of the technology out there.

Again, I'm suggesting Leap Motion. $70 when it comes out, compared to $249 for the Kinect for Windows. Probably for the purposes of keeping it small and portable, it's limited to 8 cubic feet of interactive space and is said to be accurate down to 1/100th of a millimeter. It uses a "mathematical approach to 3D", meaning it should be relatively easy to scale up and be used for larger environments.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 02:55 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

I haven't watched the video yet, but from the thumbnail image I have to say that it's amazing how far MMD has come. I know, I'm supposed to be amazed by whatever tech they're showing off and not the program itself, but look at the detail on that model! The rendering! It's truly amazing how far a piece of novelty open-source software has come in such a short time.

Now to actually check this out. happy.gif

EDIT: Holy crap yeah. MMD's super-fast smooth rendering combined with this tech looks awesome. Finally a webcam software that actually does lip movement and such properly. Bring it on!

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Jun 12 2012, 02:58 PM
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 12 2012, 03:02 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 7 minutes, 43 seconds ago)
I know, I'm supposed to be amazed by whatever tech they're showing off and not the program itself, but look at the detail on that model!

I think this model (based on "Append Miku" if I recall correctly) came out a number of months ago, just so you know. It is amazing, I agree. cool.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 06:24 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 3 hours, 21 minutes ago)
I think this model (based on "Append Miku" if I recall correctly) came out a number of months ago, just so you know. It is amazing, I agree. cool.gif

Yeah, it's Append Miku. I'm just shocked at how many elements there are and how smoothly it renders. After looking at the setup again it's doubly amazing because that's a laptop running a dual-monitor setup during the demo. Holy crap.

I agree, too, the dude in the background is obviously not as enthusiastic about his Miku-otaku peer's project. But that's okay. He'll get his turn.

user posted image
Tessou
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 06:34 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Kiroshino @ 3 hours, 45 minutes ago)
Again, I'm suggesting Leap Motion. $70 when it comes out, compared to $249 for the Kinect for Windows. Probably for the purposes of keeping it small and portable, it's limited to 8 cubic feet of interactive space and is said to be accurate down to 1/100th of a millimeter. It uses a "mathematical approach to 3D", meaning it should be relatively easy to scale up and be used for larger environments.

Looking at the Leap Motion... I'm not impressed. It can only track and render one person's movements.

Oh, and have fun setting up lighting. These things are assholes when it comes to light sources.
Kiroshino
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 08:25 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

That may be its current capabilities, but I believe the technology has a lot of potential and some of its current limitations can be overcome with proper programming.

I agree: I can imagine lighting being an issue. Might need to consider implementing audio cues to cover for some of the weaknesses of video-based systems.

Anyway, that's all I'll be saying about this. Back on topic, this stuff looks really cool.

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on Jun 12 2012, 08:27 PM
Alastair
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 10:05 PM

SNTS

Member No.: 27,312

looks alright. but who knows when this will be released to the public
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 13 2012, 12:23 AM

ShiMACHaze

Shouldn't be that long, I'd think. The nice thing about the researchers who plug stuff into MMD is they're usually Miku fans, and therefore usually follow the Miku-like philosophy of sharing with a community as a whole to better the total culture. I would think they'd want to share it once it's up to snuff.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops, that's for sure.
Spaz
Posted: Jun 13 2012, 09:32 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,193

As long as points are near 100% correctly identified, I'd expect the logical progression of this to be computers recognizing facial expressions.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Tessou
Posted: Jun 13 2012, 09:37 AM

Group Icon

Until they can translate facial expressions into correct emotes, I have no interest.

user posted image
Alastair
Posted: Jun 14 2012, 10:25 AM

SNTS

Now that i think about it, if they make a full body system. i'll translate one of my dance pieces into MMD. Miku will be the ultimate dancer...
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 14 2012, 11:41 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Alastair @ 1 hour, 16 minutes ago)
Now that i think about it, if they make a full body system. i'll translate one of my dance pieces into MMD. Miku will be the ultimate dancer...

OR... you will be the ultimate Miku.

user posted image
Alastair
Posted: Jun 14 2012, 08:17 PM

SNTS

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 8 hours, 36 minutes ago)
OR... you will be the ultimate Miku.

Or maybe.....I AM MIKU MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 15 2012, 05:05 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Alastair @ 8 hours, 47 minutes ago)
Or maybe.....I AM MIKU MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I DON'T HABEEB IT!

2 Pages  1 2