Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (Wangan Midnight OST) Rollin'

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

16 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 55,218  ·  Replies: 383 
> The SpazEvo IX, Numero Dos!
Grappler
Posted: Feb 25 2014, 10:50 AM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,805

gt wing for the track do it naow smile.gif
Spaz
  Posted: Feb 27 2014, 07:53 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (Grappler @ Feb 25 2014, 01:50 PM)
gt wing for the track do it naow smile.gif

No.

Wheels are lined up. CE28 Time Attacks (Yay limited production things!) in 17x9 currently wrapped in 245 Z1*. I should be able to get a few events out of them still.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Feb 28 2014, 08:45 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 25,374

When those tires are done, what would you replace them with? I'd assume ZIIs now, and perhaps in a wider size? While the Z1s do run a little wide in general, I'd assume a 9" tire can fit something a lot bigger than that, since people were even putting on Z1s in 255 on the stock 8" OEM Evo wheels.
Spaz
  Posted: Feb 28 2014, 11:23 AM

Group Icon

I ran 255s on stock Enkeis on my VIII, never again. The increase in grip was nice in a straight line (last summer was the first I couldn't light up all 4 off the limiter), but having the sidewall angled the wrong way really caused some wallow-y-ness in hard cornering, and a reduced feel as well. Even at 38psi on the track it was notable. On the flip side, it did make them very snap-resistant. I liked them, but it just wasn't a good setup overall.

I'll probably go with 255s on these, and at this point will have to discuss tires with those who've run most of the current market stuff. I'm between ZIIs (* specs maybe if they're out), Rivals, or RS3s. I liked the RE11As but they were pretty compromise-y and since the coilovers already throw ride comfort out the window there's no need for that anymore.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Feb 28 2014, 03:25 PM

IDW Goldmember

When I had Z1* tires, I ran 235s, and they ran a tad wider than the OEM Advan A046s, though the Hankooks I have right now are a tad narrower than even the OEM tires but not by much. (But the fact that most non-Mom and Pop tire places won't install 255s on an 8" wheel even though it will fit kind of made the decision easy for me to just stick with 235s.)

I'll probably switch to ZIIs when my Hankooks are toast, though I've had them on for about 19k miles and there's hardly any wear on them haha... so it might be at least another year before I do make the switch.
Spaz
  Posted: Mar 4 2014, 09:25 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ Feb 28 2014, 06:25 PM)
I'll probably switch to ZIIs when my Hankooks are toast, though I've had them on for about 19k miles and there's hardly any wear on them haha... so it might be at least another year before I do make the switch.

Your wear problem can be fixed. awesome.gif

I forget, are you on RS3s or V12s?
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 4 2014, 10:00 AM

IDW Goldmember

V12s. The last tire rotation I had (at 15k miles on them), the shop said that there was hardly any wear. But at the same time, putting wear on these tires in particular the fun way is alright... once you go past maybe 6/10ths, the tires start struggling haha.
Spaz
  Posted: Mar 4 2014, 08:38 PM

Group Icon

Yeah, no kidding... Those tires were fine on the street but completely worthless for anything really hard. Sidewalls are too squishy and they break away too easily. They did hook up really well at the line with 25psi in them though! They did last a while too, I got two seasons out of mine, unfortunately. I was ready to be done after one.
Spaz
  Posted: Mar 9 2014, 07:49 PM

Group Icon

Oh dear...

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 720 x 540. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 720 x 540. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

So yeah, 40 degrees today and I said fuck it, pulled the car out of storage for some ice shenanigans. Went really well, the track was a bare sheet of ice to start, but as the day progressed it got slushy and FAST. I can safely say I've never been 50mph before on ice, and probably never will again, but holy shit was there grip out there. There were certain corners I couldn't even slide unless I was going faster than 30.

But anyway, a couple issues, pretty fixable... The first, early on, I hit a huge pothole in the ice that I found unavoidable while sideways with no traction (I cranked the wheel so the tire passed through it straight) and immediately after found that the steering wheel was off by a notable amount. I checked for damage and found none, then popped the hood... The strut had SLIPPED down the camber plate, adding camber, toe in, and shifting the steering angle. So commenced an operation to source a jack, tools, and fix the issue, which turned out to be that the camber plate screws were not as tight as they should have been, very thankful I found that out now and not down the road.

Second, I found a snowbank pretty solidly with the front end while sideways doing about 30 when the car caught traction and snapped before I could catch it. Pushed the driver's side quick disconnect halfway out (a design flaw, and I should be able to fix and band aid it) and ripped the previously cracked part of the lip off. No big deal, needs a new lip and bumper needed paint anyway. I'll call it motivation.

user posted image

Was super awesome and fun, I'll post more pics and post and video I find, plus the event vid once that gets finished.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 11 2014, 03:43 AM

IDW Goldmember

Time for the SE lip!
Spaz
  Posted: Mar 11 2014, 08:18 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ 4 hours, 35 minutes ago)
Time for the SE lip!

Indeed! My thoughts exactly.

I had it apart yesterday and noted some cracking on the fender as well at a couple weak points, the retainer for the bumper screw is broken too so that doesn't stay in, So I'll probably pull that off too and see if I can at least get the retainer to stay in.
Grappler
Posted: Mar 11 2014, 10:27 AM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,805

screw it time to tube frame the front end wink2.gif
Spaz
  Posted: Mar 11 2014, 11:46 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Grappler @ 1 hour, 19 minutes ago)
screw it time to tube frame the front end wink2.gif

Because street car!
Spaz
  Posted: Mar 12 2014, 04:21 AM

Group Icon

More pics!

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 720 x 405. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 720 x 405. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

I seriously can't wait for the video these were clipped from!
RalliKai
Posted: Mar 12 2014, 05:41 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

Those shots remind me of Chamonix. Sorry for nerding off alittle. Great pictures though. cool.gif
sideways
Posted: Mar 12 2014, 09:46 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

So if I may be nosey- whats the story about where those pictures were taken? Is that an actual event of sorts or something else? Looks intriguing
Spaz
  Posted: Mar 13 2014, 09:11 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (sideways @ Today, 12:46 AM)
So if I may be nosey- whats the story about where those pictures were taken? Is that an actual event of sorts or something else? Looks intriguing

Kind of. A bunch of buddies of mine decided last year that they were going to do ice events. We had to drive the track in ourselves back then, now we pay a plow guy to come out and plow the track.

Basically, it's a private, invite only event we do a few times each winter on a public lake. A bunch of photographer friends come out, we've got a buddy with a quadcopter that comes out too, and overall we get a ton of media of us fucking around with our cars on ice.

And it's awesome.
Spaz
  Posted: Mar 15 2014, 05:53 AM

Group Icon

Small update, but the car has an aftermarket head unit now, so things actually sound good.

And with the Infinity package, it sounds DAMN good.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 15 2014, 06:54 AM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (Spaz @ 1 hour, 1 minutes ago)
Small update, but the car has an aftermarket head unit now, so things actually sound good.

And with the Infinity package, it sounds DAMN good.

Yeah, the stock speakers are more than decent, even in the "regular" Evo (meaning without the SSL package). I've always been trying to hunt down the SSL subwoofer since it fits neatly in the trunk, but they always get snatched up fast or sell for more than what I'd want to pay.
Spaz
  Posted: Mar 15 2014, 03:30 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ 8 hours, 26 minutes ago)
Yeah, the stock speakers are more than decent, even in the "regular" Evo (meaning without the SSL package). I've always been trying to hunt down the SSL subwoofer since it fits neatly in the trunk, but they always get snatched up fast or sell for more than what I'd want to pay.

Not anything I'd try too hard for, because I agree, the OE Mitsubishi Electric speakers in the non-SSL cars are pretty decent. I mean, I dealt with them for 3.5 years before this. laugh2.gif

My bonus check comes this week, so wheels and tires are happening!
Spaz
  Posted: Mar 18 2014, 06:42 PM

Group Icon

Yum, wheels...

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: unknown. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: unknown. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Volk CE28 Time Attacks in 17x9 +35 wrapped in 245 Z1 Star Specs. Now the weather just needs to get nice...

This post has been edited by Perry on Mar 22 2014, 01:58 AM
Mazda ina Ford guy
Posted: Mar 21 2014, 07:11 PM

333 Half Evil

Member No.: 37,098

Ahh, bagged up tires in a basement, takes me back. smile.gif Scored a nice set of slightly used Perilli's (195/60 r15's) back in the day. I can still hear my Mom bitching to "Get those fucking tires out of my laundry room already!"

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Spaz
  Posted: Mar 27 2014, 05:05 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Mazda ina Ford guy @ Mar 21 2014, 10:11 PM)
Ahh, bagged up tires in a basement, takes me back. smile.gif Scored a nice set of slightly used Perilli's (195/60 r15's) back in the day. I can still hear my Mom bitching to "Get those fucking tires out of my laundry room already!"

Those're old. I should donate them to drifters. Actually, fuck it, they're going up to Proving Grounds with me this year and are getting a sign that says "Will trade for ride in drift car", that should make them disappear.

Also, video!

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS2LBVPdLHM )

I didn't get a whole lot of screen time, likely because I had issues catching people and couldn't go fast enough to keep it sideways... The winter rubber is simply too new and grippy to work well in traffic, the WRX was the only car I could really have a bunch of fun with out there.
Lonely_Driver
Posted: Mar 28 2014, 07:12 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 38,019

hey atleast we got to see where you stuffed it! lol

that G37 looks like a good time as well.
Spaz
  Posted: Mar 28 2014, 12:56 PM

Group Icon

Dude, he had NO issue stuffing that thing. The second February event (when I took the Jetta) he was all up in those snow banks. laugh2.gif

BTW, I was sent ALL of the footage that includes my car today, 15 FUCKING GB of it. I'll be downloading it and starting to go through it tonight, eventually putting together a video of just me. Apparently there's TONS of footage of me on the technical course (that got basically no time in this video) so I'm super excited to see all that.

16 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 »